Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
User avatar
Kizzo
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 23173
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby Kizzo » Jun 13. 2018, 05:43

yodelling wrote:Ok, now we're discussing over nothing  the 10-8 recommendation is a guideline, as for the most significant strike of the round winning you the round irrespective of volume, this happens over and over and hardly we hear anyone complaining because it's the rule by which strikes are weighed.

You haven't shown any evidence for this being the case over and over though. In order to do that, you would have had to make a list of all the fights where this happened along with judge's scorecard to show as proof along with judges saying that's what swayed them. Nearly too difficult for either you or me to do. So you're basically making an assumption of your own and believing that to be fact. :lol: But since we're making assumptions, I'd also wager there are many fights out there where the guy who landed more volume won even if he did get rocked near the end or taken down. ;)
yodelling wrote:Ever notice how a ton of fighters today do whatever they can to land the hardest blow after the 10s warning sounds? That's because judges may be swayed to believe that guy "won" the round on this or that effective strike if that's the "last" thing they saw happen before putting it down on paper. That's the subjectivity of it all.

A lot of fighters also assume they would get the nod from the judge for going for a takedown near the end even when they were losing (e.g. one of Diego Sanchez's fights...think it was the Kampmann fight...where he lost the round via strikes but won the round via TD...a lot of fans complained about this). All judges are different so you don't really know what you're going to get and how they come to their decisions and what's going to sway their decision.
yodelling wrote:The subjective part is not whether or not judges are going to enforce the scoring rules (see what I did there :D ), but how human beings tend to perceive events in time.


Yes, the rules don't matter. They aren't "rules" in practice if they're not enforceable like for the case I mentioned where the guy who landed the buckling shot near the beginning could end up losing the round because he lost by 'volume' for the remainder. ;)

It's ultimately all subjective and the judge can score it based on whatever they feel which is why it's pointless to bring up unenforceable rules (a.k.a. guidelines) to question why the judges do what they do (e.g. "Why didn't the judges score it 10-8 for Whittaker in 1st round?", "Why didn't the judges score it 10-8 for Romero based on rules?", etc. etc. etc). That's my whole point.

The real rule is this: "Here are some guidelines we think you should follow, but if you feel like not following it and make up your own rules to follow that's okay too."

On another note, let's say you didn't know the exact rules, and you decided to use common sense to score the rounds. Common sense being if it was a dominant win then score it 10-8. If it wasn't a dominant round then score it 10-9. Then using common sense without knowing the detailed rules one can arrive at a reasonable score like 47-46 or 46-46 which is what I did. :lol: I'd wager though in most cases, common sense judging from fans and supposed "rule-based" judging by judges are in agreement in most cases on who they both believed won the fight.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
yodelling
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 2006
Joined: Dec 5. 2010, 05:37

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby yodelling » Jun 13. 2018, 07:25

Now we both got to the point (I think), and it's what ticks some fans and experts off: if you're going to have to "invent" your own rules while judging ('cause we agree judges aren't machines), even if to a minimal degree, then you have to have enough of a background in MMA to base your decision process off of, and that's what is definitely not consistent enough and on par with the sport's current "almost mainstream" status (still too much work to be done here).

47-46 or 46-46 feel "right", definitely man... So yes, in most cases we're all "accidentally" getting it right (or close to right), but there's still too much room for improvement IMHO, and fights like Whittaker vs Romero 2 are a fine example of that. Reminded me a lot of Woodley vs Thompson 1, that was nearly perfect (and bold!) judging, this could've gone that way too. Come to think of it, if I could wish for an outcome for Whittaker vs Romero 2, it would've been a draw: that would force the rematch, Romero would have a chance to go for the belt again (I cannot see him losing #1 contender status after this fight), and Whittaker would get a do-over without a broken hand. There are very good fights to be made at MW, but none seem to me as good as this one...
Last edited by yodelling on Jun 13. 2018, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
FOTY - let's get it going!

User avatar
yodelling
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 2006
Joined: Dec 5. 2010, 05:37

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby yodelling » Jun 13. 2018, 07:26

@kizzo thanks for the awesome discussion brother! we dug deep here :D
FOTY - let's get it going!

User avatar
Kizzo
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 23173
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby Kizzo » Jun 13. 2018, 08:02

yodelling wrote:Now we both got to the point (I think), and it's what ticks some fans and experts off: if you're going to have to "invent" your own rules while judging ('cause we agree judges aren't machines), even if to a minimal degree, then you have to have enough of a background in MMA to base your decision process off of, and that's what is definitely not consistent enough and on par with the sport's current "almost mainstream" status (still too much work to be done here).

47-46 or 46-46 feel "right", definitely man... So yes, in most cases we're all "accidentally" getting it right (or close to right), but there's still too much room for improvement IMHO, and fights like Whittaker vs Romero 2 are a fine example of that. Reminded me a lot of Woodley vs Thompson 1, that was nearly perfect (and bold!) judging, this could've gone that way too. Come to think of it, if I could wish for an outcome for Whittaker vs Romero 2, it would've been a draw: that would force the rematch, Romero would have a chance to go for the belt again (I cannot see him losing #1 contender status after this fight), and Whittaker would get a do-over without a broken hand. There are very good fights to be made at MW, but none seem to me as good as this one...

Judging usually isn't a problem when the decision is involved in a fight where it's obvious to even grandma who doesn't know anything about MMA can agree with the decision. It's usually the close fights where the lines between objectivity & subjectivity gets blurred and judges get divided into how they should score the fight. Also the same time fans start pulling out the rulebook and fightmetric for discussion.  :D I agree with you that in these type of decisions when the fight is close, if you're going to make up your own rules, then you should have some background in MMA. Having more competent judges will definitely help the sport in these close calls because you're using differences in inches to make these calls and that extra expertise can help make a better informed decision.
yodelling wrote:@kizzo thanks for the awesome discussion brother! we dug deep here Image


It was a good one brother. Got the gears running. :like

P.S. If I had my way, I'd force Romero and Whittaker to fight 10x for my entertainment to see who win how many times out of 10. :D
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
yodelling
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 2006
Joined: Dec 5. 2010, 05:37

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby yodelling » Jun 13. 2018, 08:11

Kizzo wrote:P.S. If I had my way, I'd force Romero and Whittaker to fight 10x for my entertainment to see who win how many times out of 10. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:  good idea, I'm in for it :lol:
FOTY - let's get it going!

Confirmation
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP
Posts: 257
Joined: Oct 4. 2015, 15:16

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby Confirmation » Jun 16. 2018, 15:58

Professionals know the truth and can't be lied
Joe rogan and the others affirm that there were 2 x 10-8 no doubt
It was Romero win or draw nothing else
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ln5mp

User avatar
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 3349
Joined: Jan 24. 2014, 00:59
Location: Norte Cackalacky

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby xSamWaynex » Jun 16. 2018, 23:54

Confirmation wrote:Professionals know the truth and can't be lied
Joe rogan and the others affirm that there were 2 x 10-8 no doubt
It was Romero win or draw nothing else
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ln5mp

Look man I get it you REALLY think he won, and you have some people that agree with you. That is completely fine, but to say that it HAS to be your way or no other way is just ridiculous man. Trust me, as I have done this myself so please learn from my mistake, throwing down a gauntlet like that most of the time doesn't work out to well for the guy doing it. Like I told you before it's fine to be a fan of someone, but please don't let your fandom overrule all other judgment. You have to at least be willing to admit that there was a possibility that Whittaker legitimately won that fight, instead of blaming it all on some conspiracy like you did before. Because honestly what was the motivation? 
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
JeremyHorn
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 98
Joined: Sep 17. 2014, 13:51

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby JeremyHorn » Jun 17. 2018, 00:48

Confirmation wrote:Professionals know the truth and can't be lied
Joe rogan and the others affirm that there were 2 x 10-8 no doubt
It was Romero win or draw nothing else
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ln5mp

Rogan's not a judge he's a commentator, and a shitty one at that
"Who hit you the hardest in your career?" Roy Nelson " My Dad"

Confirmation
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP
Posts: 257
Joined: Oct 4. 2015, 15:16

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby Confirmation » Jun 17. 2018, 08:01

xSamWaynex wrote:
Confirmation wrote:Professionals know the truth and can't be lied
Joe rogan and the others affirm that there were 2 x 10-8 no doubt
It was Romero win or draw nothing else
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ln5mp

Look man I get it you REALLY think he won, and you have some people that agree with you. That is completely fine, but to say that it HAS to be your way or no other way is just ridiculous man. Trust me, as I have done this myself so please learn from my mistake, throwing down a gauntlet like that most of the time doesn't work out to well for the guy doing it. Like I told you before it's fine to be a fan of someone, but please don't let your fandom overrule all other judgment. You have to at least be willing to admit that there was a possibility that Whittaker legitimately won that fight, instead of blaming it all on some conspiracy like you did before. Because honestly what was the motivation? 

I'm not Romero Hendrix Hendo etc fan but they all got robbed an' we all know when . Shitty decisions to please poor kids who like to be lied. Look at WW that fake I just can't watch it. $ rulz nothing new . I just posted another peofesional opinion nothing more so relax man. Even if I do not agree I understand need for money we all need it business is not easy to run. Let it be they can do tricks needed to get more cash but here on this forum I see no reason to taste that shit , we can just tell the truth as  it  is .
At the end Romero is pleased got the money and revenge in face of everybody he doesn't care officially he lost because the fight was awsome and he had a future and people appreciation. So there are no reasons for upset just let's be honest with ourselves

User avatar
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 3349
Joined: Jan 24. 2014, 00:59
Location: Norte Cackalacky

Re: ROBERT WHITTAKER vs YOEL ROMERO 2

Postby xSamWaynex » Jun 17. 2018, 20:28

Confirmation wrote:
I'm not Romero Hendrix Hendo etc fan but they all got robbed an' we all know when . Shitty decisions to please poor kids who like to be lied. Look at WW that fake I just can't watch it. $ rulz nothing new . I just posted another peofesional opinion nothing more so relax man. Even if I do not agree I understand need for money we all need it business is not easy to run. Let it be they can do tricks needed to get more cash but here on this forum I see no reason to taste that shit , we can just tell the truth as  it  is .
At the end Romero is pleased got the money and revenge in face of everybody he doesn't care officially he lost because the fight was awsome and he had a future and people appreciation. So there are no reasons for upset just let's be honest with ourselves

You are doing more than just posting your opinion and others though.You keep saying that what you are saying is the truth, and everyone that disagrees with you is either outright lying, or simply delusional and therefore lying to themselves. Citing times in which another fighter was "robbed" doesn't mean that it happened this time. You said it very well could've been a draw. So, even you see this fight as very close. If the judges had given the nod to Romero you wouldn't have had a problem at all. That kind of shows that you do in fact have a preference, and preferences are a sign of fandom. Romero might not be your favorite fighter, but I have never seen someone jump to the whole conspiracy defense over a fighter that they didn't even like....just sayin'. 
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson


Return to “MMA VIDEOS”