Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

José Aldo admits he was on verge of retirement following second Holloway loss

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

José Aldo admits he was on verge of retirement following second Holloway loss

Postby Robert223 » Apr 30. 2018, 13:42

The Brazilian featherweight intends to make one more run at the UFC’s 145-pound title.

José Aldo, one of the featherweight division’s most legendary fighters, has admitted that he nearly walked away from mixed martial arts following his second loss in succession to Max Holloway.

Aldo, the former longtime WEC and UFC champion, suffered two knockout defeats to current featherweight champion Holloway last year, as well as a 13-second knockout defeat to Conor McGregor to end a decade-long undefeated run in his mixed martial arts career.

Following the sophomore defeat to Holloway in December, as per Brazilian outlet Combate and MMA Fighting, Aldo says that he sought counsel from those close to him as he examined the next step in his career.

“After the fight, I took some time for myself, to think and stay with my family,” Aldo said. “Two weeks later, I met with my coaches, sat down with everyone. I asked what they thought, if it was time to stop or not. We decided to move forward. The next day I was in the gym.”

Still just 31-years old, Aldo has competed almost exclusively in title bouts for the last 9 years. His upcoming bout with Jeremy Stephens in July will be the first time since March of 2009 that a title (or interim title) hasn’t been at stake for the Brazilian and, as he elaborated, he still thinks that he has at least one more title bout left in his gas tank.

“I think I still have much wood to burn, full capacity to go there and fight for the title again,” he said. “I still have four fights left in the contract. I want to do at least three this year. I want to get to the third fighting for the title, be champion again. Then, in the future, I think about retiring or not.”

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/j ... oway-loss/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

UserNameCory
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: José Aldo admits he was on verge of retirement following second Holloway loss

Postby UserNameCory » Apr 30. 2018, 19:47

should think too much pass getting his next win and go from there. Sure if he gets this upcoming one and then the next one, he'd have a good shot to get a title fight but he could lose his first one of three! And his second match could be very difficult.

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Re: José Aldo admits he was on verge of retirement following second Holloway loss

Postby ikor » May 1. 2018, 03:23

Hm, Aldo vs Ortega if if if...

MANTIS TOBOGGAN
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION

Postby MANTIS TOBOGGAN » May 1. 2018, 15:33

Doesn’t he mean “is”
"it's generally because I learned that lesson the hard way.
The cost of that wisdom came as the result of a fuck-up.
Typically with a large price tag"
-Coach Rich-

CRI-XXII-LXXVI-CHAMPION

MANTIS TOBOGGAN
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION

Postby MANTIS TOBOGGAN » May 1. 2018, 15:34

After Jeremiah Stephenson finishes him it will probably be time to hang em up
"it's generally because I learned that lesson the hard way.
The cost of that wisdom came as the result of a fuck-up.
Typically with a large price tag"
-Coach Rich-

CRI-XXII-LXXVI-CHAMPION

hippielove
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby hippielove » May 1. 2018, 19:22

ikor wrote:Hm, Aldo vs Ortega if if if...

Never a if if if...
Aldo is DONE!
Ortega is the new champ:c
Max who...
Let's wait and see it play out...
★ ★ ★

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » May 3. 2018, 01:49

hippielove wrote:
ikor wrote:Hm, Aldo vs Ortega if if if...

Never a if if if...
Aldo is DONE!
Ortega is the new champ:c
Max who...
Let's wait and see it play out...

If Aldo beats Stephens, if Ortega beats Holloway and if there is not immediate rematch (or if Holloway beats Ortega)... after all that, I think Aldo vs Ortega could be interesting :)

Return to “MMA TALK”