Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Official Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. *News/Discussion* Thread

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.

Who will win?

Poll ended at Aug 26. 2017, 23:06

Mayweather RD 1 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 2 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 3 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 4 TKO/KO
3%
Mayweather RD 5 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 6 TKO/KO
5%
Mayweather RD 7 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 8 TKO/KO
10%
Mayweather RD 9 TKO/KO
3%
Mayweather RD 10 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 11 TKO/KO
3%
Mayweather RD 12 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather DECISION
13%
Conor RD 1 TKO/KO
5%
Conor RD 2 TKO/KO
13%
Conor RD 3 TKO/KO
23%
Conor RD 4 TKO/KO
5%
Conor RD 5 TKO/KO
5%
Conor RD 6 TKO/KO
8%
Conor RD 7 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 8 TKO/KO
3%
Conor RD 9 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 10 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 11 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 12 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor DECISION
3%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 39

detroit770
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: OFFICIAL Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather *News Updates/Discussion*

Postby detroit770 » Jul 16. 2017, 09:47

Lukn4trbl wrote:Why all the hate for Dillon?

:lol:  nah no hate here bro. 
But...the hand-me-down T-shirt incident pushed me over the edge!   :lol:
McGoesInDry

Poochie
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Poochie » Jul 16. 2017, 15:11

detroit770 wrote:Image

What the fook! We're doin' "hand-me-downs"  and shit now?  :oops:  :lol:

:lol:
"Who the fook is that guy?" - Conor McGregor
"I'd like to apologize... to absolutely nobody!" - Conor McGregor

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Jul 17. 2017, 09:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Jul 17. 2017, 10:16

:laugh :laugh :laugh

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 17. 2017, 23:11

Conor McGregor Reportedly Knocked Out In Sparring For 'Money Fight' With Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Conor McGregor's boxing career may not be getting off to a good start. On the heels of a high-profile, but mostly unappealing international world tour to promote his August 26 bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr., rumors have surfaced about McGregor's inefficiency during sparring sessions.

To put it plainly, McGregor is pacing toward a $100 million payday, but he may have to take a beating to collect his check.
Former world champions Jessie Vargas and Brandon Rios told Villainfy Media that McGregor had already been "knocked out in sparring" in preparation for the bout. Here's the video interview. The statement comes at the 2:05 mark of the video below:

phpBB [video]

The standard weight of the glove in sparring can range from 14-16 ounces, depending on the camp. The gloves for the bout with Mayweather will likely be 10 ounces. Basic logic implies the shots Mayweather lands could be harder and thus have a more adverse effect on McGregor. That's all theoretical and may not prove to be valid once the two men are in the ring.

That said, we cannot ignore these rumors or the accounts of former sparring partners like Chris Van Heerden. Everyone who has sparred with McGregor–who has spoken about their experience–has come away less than impressed with the UFC lightweight champion.

This would seemingly match the narrative laid out by most boxing experts. The lack of boxing experience will likely make this a one-sided exhibition that favors Mayweather.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2017/07/17/conor-mcgregor-reportedly-knocked-out-in-sparring-for-money-fight-with-floyd-mayweather-jr/

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 17. 2017, 23:20

RUMOR DEBUNKED

phpBB [video]

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 17. 2017, 23:25

Paulie Malignaggi confirms he’ll join Conor McGregor starting this week for Floyd Mayweather camp

Despite some initial confusion, it appears that Paulie Malignaggi will indeed play a role in Conor McGregor’s training camp ahead of the Irishman’s mega-fight against Floyd Mayweather on Aug. 26.

Malignaggi, a retired ex-champion boxer and current commentator for Showtime, revealed Monday on The MMA Hour he is slated to fly out to Las Vegas on Wednesday to join Team McGregor. The 36-year-old Malignaggi expects to play the role of sparring partner for McGregor, helping the UFC lightweight champion to prepare for his much-anticipated professional boxing debut against Mayweather.

“I guess it’s down to how long they need me to work,” Malignaggi said Monday on The MMA Hour. “We’ve discussed a couple potential things, but I don’t know (how long I’ll be out there), it’ll depend on them. I’ve always been in camp that’s been my training camp. I’ve never been in somebody else’s training camp. Even when I was a prospect and I helped champions get ready for their fights, it was mostly at home where I came up in Gleason’s Gym in New York, where there’s so many champions training there. A lot of times, I sparred with them a lot during their training camps in Gleason’s, but I was never a guy who was brought into camp as a sparring partner where I had to leave my house, where I had to leave home.

“This is the first time that ever happened to me, so in my professional experience when I used to run my own training camps, I’d make all the decisions. I’d meet with my team and we’d make all the decisions as far as how long sparring partners should stay, when a sparring partner should go, and all this other stuff. So, if I’m going by the way that I look at things, all those decisions are going to be up to them — how long they want to keep me around for, how long they don’t want to keep me around for, and so on and so forth. I’m just there to accommodate as best as I can.”

Malignaggi will join a team already led by McGregor’s SBG Ireland coaches, John Kavangh and Owen Roddy, and Malignaggi made it clear that his purpose will only be to serve as a sparring partner, rather than a trainer or coach in any regard.

“If I’m going to give a couple of technical tidbits, maybe, maybe not, but I definitely won’t come talking about training (McGregor),” Malignaggi said. “I think his team has that foundation down pat and they’re going to be doing the training, and they’re going to be in charge of all that. But of course, I’ll be going there to spar, and if I see anything and we’re on good terms, of course I’ll share my views on some things.”

The news comes just days after the conclusion of the Mayweather-McGregor world tour, an unprecedented and ultimately controversial four-day, three-country excursion that saw McGregor and Mayweather promote their fight with grandiose press stops in Los Angeles, Toronto, New York, and London. Malignaggi covered the first three legs of the world tour for Showtime, and he found himself inserted into the storyline early when McGregor responded heatedly to a question about bringing Malignaggi into his camp.

McGregor said that Malignaggi “talked a lot of sh*t” and would have to “answer to what he’s been saying” by having a “knock in the gym.” The Irishman’s ire initially made Malignaggi “a little bit confused, as maybe they changed their mind” about bringing Malignaggi into camp, but after having a few follow-up talks after the tour’s conclusion, Malignaggi understands the situation better and knows exactly what McGregor was referring to.

“When Conor got his boxing license, all the boxers looked at it like, ‘wow, this is a big paycheck here, and it’s a guy who’s probably a little bit (more) limited than your basic world-class boxer,' so everybody’s trying to get in there,” Malignaggi said. “So me, using my trash-talking ability that I have, me knowing that I’m one of the better known fighters in the business, I kind of put myself at the forefront. I tried to talk a little bit of trash and get under his skin and try to see if he would take the bait. So the trash talk was done about six months ago, I was looking to get the fight.

“I’ve since lost my last fight and retired, so that’s actually out the window. But I think that basically what they’re looking at and what he’s talking about is probably the trash talking way back then, and yeah, we’re going to have a knock in the gym. But listen, from a fighter’s perspective, you have in a knock in the gym anyway. Even if you’re best friends with the guy you’re sparring, you’re still going to have a knock in there. That’s just the way sparring goes, especially at a world-class championship level in the gym at sparring. I’ve never been a part of a training camp where sparring was light.

“You have to raise your intensity level to a very high level, because on fight night, you need to be able to reach down and get that intensity level there, and you need to be familiar with that intensity level,” Malignaggi continued. “You can’t just show up on fight night and reach intensity levels you’re not used to getting to. So you get there in sparring a few times a week, and little bit little, your mind and your body acclimate to that kind of intensity, that level of intensity, so you don’t have to really dig deep to reach it.

“So, the having a knock in the gym part, it’s good for the media to jump on, it’s good for fans to jump on to give them something to talk about, but the reality of it all, you’re going to have a knock in the gym regardless. That’s just the way it is.”

Malignaggi is expected to serve as one of the lead analysts and commentators for Showtime on Aug. 26, so the opportunity to train with McGregor will provide him a more nuanced insight into the UFC champion once fight week rolls around. And even though a few bad feelings may be lingering on McGregor’s side, Malignaggi isn’t worried about joining a SBG Ireland squad that some may consider to be hostile territory.

“I’m not getting jumped in there, so no, I never feel like I’m in hostile territory or nothing because I’m very confident in my abilities inside the ring,” Malignaggi said. “I never feel like I’m going in there, ‘and oh my goodness, I have to spar so and so.' I’ve sparred so many good fighters through so many years, so it’s almost second nature to me, especially sparring.

“Fight night is one thing, but especially sparring; it’s very intense, but at the same time, it’s nothing I haven’t done before, thousands of thousands of rounds in my life. I’m confident about what I can do in there and I’m sure Conor is confident about what he can do in there, and yeah, we’ll probably have a knock. We’ll have a knock or even two or three. But I’m sure it’ll be all good, and if I can help out and do my part in the camp, then I’ll be happy.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/17/15985402/paulie-malignaggi-confirms-hell-join-conor-mcgregor-starting-this-week-for-floyd-mayweather-camp

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Jul 18. 2017, 02:00

Kizzo wrote:RUMOR DEBUNKED

phpBB [video]

Did Mr Sechbach jerk off during the phone call? Did he think nobody would notice the sounds?
 :fe  :doctor

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » Jul 18. 2017, 14:34

Yes, I've noticed some changes in McGregor's boddy. I think he is ready for 12 rounds in boxing now.

MajorBA
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby MajorBA » Jul 18. 2017, 18:09

ikor wrote:Yes, I've noticed some changes in McGregor's boddy. I think he is ready for 12 rounds in boxing now.

Page 18.  Just saying.  Or is this supposed to be a quote?  Then cool.
"Posts not seen can never be recalled."-MajorBA

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » Jul 19. 2017, 01:46

I've noticed body changes but not your post. My mistake. I am leaving youtube and just staying on mmashare :)

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 19. 2017, 13:12

phpBB [video]

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 19. 2017, 20:30

Conor McGregor Being Dropped In Sparring Wouldn't Be As Shameful As You Might Think

Rumors about Conor McGregor being dropped in a sparring session as he prepares for his bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. spread like wildfire. McGregor and his camp denied it, but it's unlikely they would admit it unless there was a video to confirm.

Even if McGregor was dropped in sparring, fighters and those familiar with the process know that it's not as uncommon or as shameful as casual fans might think.

Before Errol Spence became the IBF welterweight champion, he was one of Adrien Broner's sparring partners. There were reports that he had given Broner problems (pun intended) in sparring. Spence confirmed he had Broner "out on his feet" in the referenced sparring session.

Light heavyweight prospect Isiah Thomas told me via text message that he once knocked Sergey Kovalev out cold in sparring. If those accounts aren't enough, let's take a look at some proof.

All-time great heavyweight Mike Tyson was dropped by his sparring partner and former world champion Greg Page. It happens at the 52-second mark of the video below:

phpBB [video]

There are a few important things that fans should understand about sparring sessions and boxer's training camps. Fighters are sparring more than a hundred rounds as they prepare for a fight. Simple math tells us that the more rounds you box, the more likely you are to be caught with a good shot(s) that knock you down.

Also, not all sparring partners are created equal. Some of them are talented in their own rights and go on to accomplish great things in the ring. Spence is an excellent example.

McGregor's situation is a little different. Most boxing experts haven't given the UFC lightweight champion high marks for his application of the sweet science. As he prepares to take on one of the sport's all-time greats, the most common belief is that McGregor is ill-prepared for the challenge that awaits him on August 26.

McGregor suffering a knockout in sparring only supports the narrative–even if part of the initial reaction of the public comes from a place of ignorance. McGregor and Mayweather appeared to be on pace to shatter every pay-per-view and total revenue record for combat sports with their bout.

Because of the enormity of the event, this is just one of what has already been a long list of subtopics as fight night approaches. Stay tuned as there will certainly be more in store.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2017/07/19/conor-mcgregor-being-dropped-in-sparring-isnt-as-shameful-as-you-might-think/#74a155f4326d

Lukn4trbl
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Lukn4trbl » Jul 19. 2017, 21:45

Kizzo wrote:[video][/ video]

I'd like to know how they arrived at some of those figures.  
Bas did a power test with sensors on a heavy bag and I think his max power was 700 or thereabouts?  I'll have to 
rewatch to make sure the units are the same.
Baller Betting - It will make you cool.

Return to “MMA TALK”