Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Serious MMA Forum. MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Full Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, UFC Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to the source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
paupre
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP
Posts: 294
Joined: Dec 20. 2015, 09:14

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby paupre » May 28. 2018, 07:17

I guess in Liverpool just walking forward feinting is considered aggression and octagon control, at least if you are from there. The only round I could possible see giving to Till was 5 even then it is a seesaw in my mind as Thompson scrambled up after the knockdown; threw some clean strikes and even got a take down on Till.
The only problem with Thompsons style is that it is so heavily based of burst attacks that he isn't afraid to back up to draw his opponent in. I also think he had the wrong mind set for this fight, in someones hostile hometown you need to look at it the same way you need to look at a title fight. So to win you need to finish or at least dominate the fight in all aspects, the thing with Thompsons trapping burst style is it doesn't really allow for that.
Till's weight issues bothers me. Yes Dana White is correct in saying this is the first time in the UFC he has missed weight, but when I here him talking about how huge an advantage the weight gave him over Cerrone. That in fact the UFC shouldn't allow it as it borders on cheating. This tells me he is a guy who is just looking for an easy path to success.

User avatar
hippielove
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 2162
Joined: Dec 16. 2015, 12:18
Location: Key West, FL

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby hippielove » May 28. 2018, 08:00

paupre wrote:I guess in Liverpool just walking forward feinting is considered aggression and octagon control, at least if you are from there.  The only round I could possible see giving to Till was 5 even then it is a seesaw in my mind as Thompson scrambled up after the knockdown;  threw some clean strikes and even got a take down on Till.  
The only problem with Thompsons style is that it is so heavily based of burst attacks that he isn't afraid to back up to draw his opponent in.  I also think he had the wrong mind set for this fight, in someones hostile hometown you need to look at it the same way you need to look at a title fight.  So to win you need to finish or at least dominate the fight in all aspects, the thing with Thompsons trapping burst style is it doesn't really allow for that.
Till's weight issues bothers me.  Yes Dana White is correct in saying this is the first time in the UFC he has missed weight, but when I here him talking about how huge an advantage the weight gave him over Cerrone.  That in fact the UFC shouldn't allow it as it borders on cheating.  This tells me he is a guy who is just looking for an easy path to success.

Well said paupre.
My reaction was the same as the commentators.  :shock:
Meh...  :?   It is what it is...
★ Peace, Love and Happiness stuff ★

User avatar
kmark
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 6
Joined: Dec 28. 2008, 12:04

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby kmark » May 28. 2018, 10:18

Thompson is so frustrating to watch. His nickname should be wonder runner. King of the decision. He deserved to lose as he just wasn’t aggressive enough. Timid, backed up the whole time. You have to dominate and he never does. Till did t do much either, but he pushed the pace.

User avatar
The Black Saint
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 683
Joined: Aug 10. 2010, 18:57

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby The Black Saint » May 28. 2018, 10:31

Wonderloaf's game paln backfired in his face. He got walked down for 5 rounds and got dropped. The behind the ear shot is his achilles.

monimal
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 11
Joined: Dec 13. 2010, 09:58

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby monimal » May 28. 2018, 10:35

Thomson is fun to watch at times when being on the defensive side of a standup fight, but fact is he is just so limited as a fighter. his style is attractive and entertaining but very one dimensional. in addition, I like it when fighters pay respect to one another but this was just too much.. touching gloves, hugging and smiling at each other throughout the fight. wouldn't be surprised to find out they end up as a couple...

monimal
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 11
Joined: Dec 13. 2010, 09:58

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby monimal » May 28. 2018, 10:35

Thomson is fun to watch at times when being on the defensive side of a standup fight, but fact is he is just so limited as a fighter. his style is attractive and entertaining but very one dimensional. in addition, I like it when fighters pay respect to one another but this was just too much.. touching gloves, hugging and smiling at each other throughout the fight. wouldn't be surprised to find out they end up as a couple...

User avatar
ikor
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 2219
Joined: Jun 7. 2015, 03:16

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby ikor » May 29. 2018, 06:11

Interesting, it was a good fight for me. I was rooting for Thompson, but Till was better man that night. Pressure, octagon control, more powerful punches, knock down in the fifth round.

I think he could be a champ one day. It looks like he has a good chin, is very strong, so people will struggle to put him down or keep him down, he has good reactions (many of Thompson's hits didn't reach the target) and fast hands.

This was high level fight, for sure. I would like to see Till vs. Masvidal (he won't be so careful), perhaps Usman and Woodley. I wonder, if Woodley can tactically prepare for him.

User avatar
medicineeng
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 1097
Joined: Apr 1. 2010, 13:11
Location: Currently on planet Earth

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby medicineeng » May 30. 2018, 12:07

Thompson got robbed of a close fight decision where there wasn't much to score

The only round that Till got was round 5.
In the remaining rounds, Thompson always the most effective striker, which by the rules, is more important than octagon control (the last and least important evaluation criteria)
The lunatic will lead the blind
ADF

User avatar
JeremyHorn
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP
Posts: 114
Joined: Sep 17. 2014, 13:51

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby JeremyHorn » May 31. 2018, 07:37

hippielove wrote:And have a wonderful day!   :fc

Is there a reason for why you have a seizure inducing avatar? 
"Who hit you the hardest in your career?" Roy Nelson " My Dad"

User avatar
hippielove
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 2162
Joined: Dec 16. 2015, 12:18
Location: Key West, FL

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby hippielove » May 31. 2018, 15:17

JeremyHorn wrote:
hippielove wrote:  :mrgreen:

Is there a reason for why you have a seizure inducing avatar? 

It clearly says ‘Death’ on my profile.
I hope you don’t have epilepsy!
If so ‘look away’ or R.I.P.  :wink:
You forgot to comment on the fight, mate.
★ Peace, Love and Happiness stuff ★

User avatar
JeremyHorn
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP
Posts: 114
Joined: Sep 17. 2014, 13:51

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby JeremyHorn » Jun 1. 2018, 02:16

hippielove wrote:
JeremyHorn wrote:
hippielove wrote:  :mrgreen:

Is there a reason for why you have a seizure inducing avatar? 

It clearly says ‘Death’ on my profile.
I hope you don’t have epilepsy!
If so ‘look away’ or R.I.P.  :wink:
You forgot to comment on the fight, ma

Classy
"Who hit you the hardest in your career?" Roy Nelson " My Dad"

User avatar
KyleJ2008
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP
Posts: 311
Joined: Nov 5. 2007, 23:42
Contact:

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby KyleJ2008 » Jun 1. 2018, 12:50

I wouldn't say it was a robbery, but it was clear to me Till won solely because of his hometown status and walking forward.  Only round I'd give him would be 5 for the knockdown.  Thompson was the much more effective striker.  But overall I thoroughly enjoyedthe fight. 
Kyle "The Jackhammer" Jackson 7-2

User avatar
0T0
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 2159
Joined: Dec 14. 2015, 06:44

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby 0T0 » Jun 2. 2018, 02:54

The Black Saint wrote:Wonderloaf's game paln backfired in his face. He got walked down for 5 rounds and got dropped. The behind the ear shot is his achilles.

Agreed.
We all knew that knockdown clinched it. Still an enjoyable fight, for what it's worth.
DAMN homie!!! Quit hoggin' da Hateraid! Ya suppose' ta take a swig an' pass. It a' come back 'round ta ya soon nuff! $h¡t!

User avatar
0T0
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 2159
Joined: Dec 14. 2015, 06:44

Re: STEPHEN THOMPSON vs DARREN TILL

Postby 0T0 » Jun 2. 2018, 02:55

KyleJ2008 wrote:I wouldn't say it was a robbery, but it was clear to me Till won solely because of his hometown status and walking forward.  Only round I'd give him would be 5 for the knockdown.  Thompson was the much more effective striker.  But overall I thoroughly enjoyedthe fight. 

x2 :like
DAMN homie!!! Quit hoggin' da Hateraid! Ya suppose' ta take a swig an' pass. It a' come back 'round ta ya soon nuff! $h¡t!


Return to “MMA VIDEOS”