Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega

Serious MMA Forum. MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Full Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, UFC Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to the source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
paupre
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Re: Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega

Postby paupre » Mar 5. 2018, 09:35

Braktooth wrote:Ortega has really improved his striking, seems to me. That elbow was beautifully timed, and the uppercut measured and obviously effective.

Tough match-up for Frankie. Ortega looked a lot bigger, and it's difficult to have to outstrike a guy you can't overpower while still avoiding any clinches.

In the post fight interview he said he was 164 when he weighed himself before the fight, I doubt Edgar was even 155 so yes very noticeable.  I think one of the things that happened is Ortega took Edgar out of his usual game where he is either striking on the outside or he is fully committed to the take down.  By doing that he brought it into a mid range fight where he was more effective.
"And yes, what was with the entrance for both of fighters? Looks like a confusion and like everybody are doing this for the first time. Weird."-Igor
I noticed that in many entrances throughout the night.

A Nameless Ghoul
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby A Nameless Ghoul » Mar 5. 2018, 15:40

Poor fight by Edgar, he stayed right in front of Ortega the whole fight getting countered or stiff armed wich he could have avoided by exiting on an angle after his combinations. Ortega is surprisingly effective on the feet despite being very sloppy and telegraphing his punches. A very good win for him, didn't expect that.
Hate positively!

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Mar 5. 2018, 16:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

chck_castle
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby chck_castle » Mar 6. 2018, 14:30

Ortega surprises me with his abilities, considering his build is about the softest in MMA.  Does he even workout?  Does he need testosterone therapy?  lol

HandSofIgor
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby HandSofIgor » Mar 6. 2018, 18:59

eitan83 wrote:edgar should retire ,at age 36 he is a stoneage fighter doing 1-2 fights a year, one dimensional comparing to the new prospects, was notable the phyisical size in this fight as an adult fighting a pupil...what a mortal combat undercut-wow 
(" Listen up. If you troll, be prepared for backlash. Fuch you and your bonnets." - Johnny shoots)

0T0
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby 0T0 » Mar 7. 2018, 01:23

Spirited bout. Nice technique from Ortega. Edgar got caught with some nasty shots, especially after he was stunned. Wish it could have played out a little longer, but props to Ortega for the finish.
DAMN homie!!! Quit hoggin' da Hateraid! Ya suppose' ta take a swig an' pass. It a' come back 'round ta ya soon nuff! $h¡t!

Chimp
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Chimp » Mar 9. 2018, 08:31

I think Frankie was his own worse enemy here, he’s toughed out so many shots like that and **** from so many bad situations, he defaulted to that approach when he was stunned - covering up until he’d recovered.  But Ortega was smart and just smashed him with uppercuts through the guard and he never had a chance to recover.

That initial elbow was so well timed though and the uppercut to finish was video game quality.  Someone needs to make that into a mortal kombat related gif... Fatality!  :D

paupre
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby paupre » Mar 9. 2018, 10:00

Chimp wrote:I think Frankie was his own worse enemy here, he’s toughed out so many shots like that and **** from so many bad situations, he defaulted to that approach when he was stunned - covering up until he’d recovered.  But Ortega was smart and just smashed him with uppercuts through the guard and he never had a chance to recover.

That initial elbow was so well timed though and the uppercut to finish was video game quality.  Someone needs to make that into a mortal kombat related gif... Fatality!  :D

Actually he didn't cover up.  After the elbow, which happened because he paused after throwing a combination instead of exiting or fully committing to a take down, he reached out to clinch with Ortega but just with his arms no movement of his feet.  This resulted in his center line being wide open which Ortega was able to capitalize on brutally.  It was a striking finish but I think Ortega's BJJ or the threat of it caused Edgar out of his game plan and style.  This caused him to fight in a mid range striking aspect that Ortega was able to utilize better.

hippielove
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby hippielove » Mar 10. 2018, 17:52

Robert223 wrote:Ortega vs Holloway next...
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/970767915199942657?s=20

damn right:fb
★ Peace, Love and Happiness stuff ★

D I A B L O
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby D I A B L O » Mar 12. 2018, 05:43

First person to stop Frankie. Wow. That elbow was bloody perfect. And the finish........ BAM!

Return to “MMA VIDEOS”