Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega

Serious MMA Forum. MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Full Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, UFC Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to the source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
support
info@mmashare.com
info@mmashare.com

Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega

Postby support » Mar 4. 2018, 02:21

Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega full fight video replay - UFC 222

VIDEO

You might need to turn off AdBlock

buccaneer
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Re: Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega

Postby buccaneer » Mar 4. 2018, 04:21

Spoiler
Damn, that last uppercut lifted him from the ground. Ngannou stuff right there. Physically this fight looked like the continuation of Ortegas open workout - Brian beating up his little brother. Edgars speed advantage just wasn't enough without the ability to use his wrestling.

eitan83
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby eitan83 » Mar 4. 2018, 05:25

edgar should retire ,at age 36 he is a stoneage fighter doing 1-2 fights a year, one dimensional comparing to the new prospects, was notable the phyisical size in this fight as an adult fighting a pupil...what a mortal combat undercut-wow 

buccaneer
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby buccaneer » Mar 4. 2018, 05:50

eitan83 wrote:edgar should retire ,at age 36 he is a stoneage fighter doing 1-2 fights a year, one dimensional comparing to the new prospects, was notable the phyisical size in this fight as an adult fighting a pupil...what a mortal combat undercut-wow 

I have to disagree. Did you watch Frankies fight against Yair Rodriguez? That was one of the hottest prospects and he got schooled by Edgar. Frankie still has a lot to offer to the division IMO, just probably not another title shot. Ortega was just one of the worst possible match ups for him - his only win option was to outpoint him with his speed while not getting caught. Pretty hard task against someone with great striking you neither want to take down nor clinch with.

yodelling
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby yodelling » Mar 4. 2018, 09:29

Ortega is scarily big, and no one gave him that much credit as a striker. That elbow that started it all was just the work of a master, how he managed to close the distance and get inside on Edgar, who was himself actually trying to do just that with a more strict-boxer approach, was mind-blowing.

Edgar tried to step in with a typical 1-2 combination and got an elbow across the jaw for a counter, not only Ortega had to "let" Edgar step in, since he was trying to hit him with a "shorter" weapon, but he also had to time an elbow against a jab. He followed that with a high-kick, and then measured the distance and the space for an uppercut, which we don't even have to talk about... It'll be hard for any KO in 2018 to top this one...
FOTY - let's get it going!

SterlingStar
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby SterlingStar » Mar 4. 2018, 12:54

dbl post oops
Last edited by SterlingStar on Mar 4. 2018, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
You hold them accountable but you don't hold an entire people accountable for their actions. That's racist." -rique000

SterlingStar
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby SterlingStar » Mar 4. 2018, 12:55

buccaneer wrote:
eitan83 wrote:edgar should retire ,at age 36 he is a stoneage fighter doing 1-2 fights a year, one dimensional comparing to the new prospects, was notable the phyisical size in this fight as an adult fighting a pupil...what a mortal combat undercut-wow 

I have to disagree. Did you watch Frankies fight against Yair Rodriguez? That was one of the hottest prospects and he got schooled by Edgar. Frankie still has a lot to offer to the division IMO, just probably not another title shot. Ortega was just one of the worst possible match ups for him - his only win option was to outpoint him with his speed while not getting caught. Pretty hard task against someone with great striking you neither want to take down nor clinch with.

Agreed, the man is far from done, i dont even consider him a gatekeeper as of yet. He can still go out and get the job done against almost anyone.
This match-up was a nightmare for him. Everyone knew how strong TCity's ground game was, but he showed incredible striking awareness to use his elbows in close when he couldn't keep Frankie at the end of his strikes. The size of TCity.... IDK where the UFC measured him at, only giving a 2" reach advantage.... looked like 5" or more to me.
Next fight for Frankie maybe Stephens, if he wins, then the Loser of the title fight between Holloway vs Ortega? I dont think he has "lost" his shot just yet.
You hold them accountable but you don't hold an entire people accountable for their actions. That's racist." -rique000

paupre
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby paupre » Mar 4. 2018, 13:59

I was very torn regarding this fight. On one hand I knew it would be a good contest on the other I have always liked how Edgar fights and his willingness to put it on the line, but I also have actually had the opportunity to meet and train briefly with Ortega way back in 2009. So I was happy he is working his way successfully up the ranks but Edgar has been disrespected so much by the UFC and fans that I wanted to see him get one more shot.
The fight was really good great inside work by Ortega to nullify Edgars speed, footwork and pressure. It should be interesting to see how he does against Holloway as they are both very similar fighters. I give the striking edge to Holloway but the ground to Ortega but neither margin is very large.
I would like to see Edgar fight again but now it is a quandary for him. He just lost to who is likely to face the champion but he is better then anyone ranked level 4 and below. He took a huge risk taking this fight from a ranking perspective that didn't pay off, so will this make him gun shy on accepting another fight that could potentially set him back from a title shot? A fight always has risks and the chance of it ending poorly, if I was in an advisory position I would say wait for title shot but that isn't really Edgars style.

Herognu
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Herognu » Mar 4. 2018, 16:37

buccaneer wrote:

Yes he is 36 and yes he might have to start thinking about retiring but calling Frankie Edgar one dimensionel is...well not true. He has dominated the division. 

Braktooth
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Braktooth » Mar 4. 2018, 17:17

Ortega has really improved his striking, seems to me. That elbow was beautifully timed, and the uppercut measured and obviously effective.

Tough match-up for Frankie. Ortega looked a lot bigger, and it's difficult to have to outstrike a guy you can't overpower while still avoiding any clinches.

minty11
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby minty11 » Mar 4. 2018, 20:32

.... Johnny Cage wins :c

Uncle
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Uncle » Mar 5. 2018, 01:40

Bullshit quick stoppage.

ikor
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby ikor » Mar 5. 2018, 01:46

At the beginning it looks like Edgar can move and box all day - good strategy, since Ortega can choke practically everybody. But without take down threat from Edgar, Ortega realized all take down attempts were fake and moved from choke attention to stand u game, starting to use his size advantage... great win! I think we will get a new champ in next title shot.

Edgar is still one of my favorite fighters and till now, he lost only against champs (future or still active). I want to see Edgar vs Holloway but first thinks first, Ortega for the belt.

And yes, what was with the entrance for both of fighters? Looks like a confusion and like everybody are doing this for the first time. Weird.

Waftist
ONE TIME CRI CHAMPION
ONE TIME CRI CHAMPION

Postby Waftist » Mar 5. 2018, 09:25

:shock:  Effin' sweet elbow. Wow. That was perfect.

Frankie ain't done. That would've hurt anyone and would've KOed most people.
JDS - Lawler - Machida - Hunt - Aldo - Romero - Barnett - Shogun - Cruz - Masvidal - Mousasi
Gomi - Gustafsson - MacDonald -Tanaka - Ishihara - Jedrzejczyk - Shevchenko - Calderwood - Zingano

Robeisy Ramirez - Hakuho - Nieky Holzken - Canelo Alvarez

Return to “MMA VIDEOS”