Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

LUKE ROCKHOLD vs YOEL ROMERO

MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
bannedwow
Zuffa
Zuffa

Re: LUKE ROCKHOLD vs YOEL ROMERO

Postby bannedwow » Feb 11. 2018, 10:16

Daxav wrote:Rockhold's corner warned him : Don't stay in front of Romero.

Yeah, he was backing straight up, need to cut angles. But I think his chin is gone with most of it spent at AKA instead of it in the octagon unfortunately. I worry about Lukes' mind, being so huge and dehydrated shots like that could really amp up the damage. He has been sounding dumber than usual for a while now too. He said he will be moving to LHW which I think he will do well in.

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Feb 11. 2018, 10:36

Great fight, I don't know why some would be so interested in whose "fault" it was for the outcome...

First thing worth mentioning is that Bisping messed up the title picture royally with his Henderson/GSP fights. Yoel should've gotten the shot ages ago against Bisping, and we wouldn't be caught in the mess we're at right now. So the win is more than deserved, and it's a huge pity he missed weight and didn't get a strap.

As for the fight, Rockhold came out with the plan to take Romero's legs out, which was actually a super smart strategy and actually worked for the first round, but he may have hit his shin on Romero's knee during the first, and when he comes back for the second you can see blood running down his leg, instead of the 8 or so leg-kicks he throws none.

He gets tentative after seeing his gameplan fly out the window, tries to compensate for the missing low-kick with a good jab, but Yoel starts exploding repeatedly once Rockhold's low-kicks aren't a factor anymore. From then on, it's all Romero, he gets inside and unleashes several flurries and Rockhold just has no answer to the closer-range game of Romero.
FOTY - let's get it going!

paupre
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby paupre » Feb 11. 2018, 11:21

Good fight I was surprised Romero was as fresh as he was. I agree Rockhold needed to kick more not even with a focus to land but to make Romero move and work. As mentioned his head movement has always been an issue and he seems to get in this relaxed, dismissive state where he leaves his exploits open.
So I guess the question is what now? I think Whittaker has the answer to Romero and would beat him again. The same with Souza. I wonder how it will play out and who will fight for the title when Whittaker comes back.

hippielove
CRI1
CRI1

Postby hippielove » Feb 11. 2018, 11:40

To me Romero has a strange weird slow style.
I couldn't figure him out.
I still say Luke has some kind of mental issues  :g  you can see it in his eyes.
He looked good for a few rounds, but I knew he was going to zZz...
Peace, Love and Happiness stuff

The Black Saint
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby The Black Saint » Feb 11. 2018, 12:25

I thought Romero was toast when he missed weight, but he conserved his energy, got Luke's timing and exploded on him with that over the shoulder left hook onto Luke's naked chin and that's all she wrote.

Hvacpro
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby Hvacpro » Feb 11. 2018, 13:01

Romero is a dangerous man,  not just anyone would want to go toe to toe with,  reminds me of the Spider Silva before he broke his leg and had a bad streak of one or two shot guys before they fell short.   which reminds me of Dana playing up his padded fighters and those not taking much fights to defend those fake wins or those got lucky wins.    
Congrats to Romero,  but much respect to Rockhold.
Last edited by Hvacpro on Feb 11. 2018, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers to my Hater's, Be Patient, More to come.

rique000
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby rique000 » Feb 11. 2018, 13:11

770 wrote:

Quibbling over an extra 15 seconds of rest as the reason for his victories sounds like sour grapes.

My ownage and reign over MMASHARE deplorables is sacrosanct.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60731&start=9800

Chimp
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Chimp » Feb 11. 2018, 17:11

f**k. Yes. Great win for Yomero, Rockhold didn’t fight smart here and he paid for it. I will never tire of seeing Rockhold punched in the face!

Braktooth
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Braktooth » Feb 11. 2018, 17:17

I have no idea what Rockhold thought he was doing after round 1. He wasn't active enough, didn't really attack the body, and definitely didn't kick Romero enough to slow him down, or make him think about how he was going to attack. He gave Romero exactly what he needed and Yoel's too strong to let him do what he wants.

H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby 770 » Feb 11. 2018, 18:25

rique000 wrote:
770 wrote:

Quibbling over an extra 15 seconds of rest as the reason for his victories sounds like sour grapes.

It took you all but less than a day :c
My post was in response to this users post...

Ezol wrote:

Romero is scary and his cardio is underrated.

I deemed it interesting enough of a point of view, to post it.
Romero IS a proven cheat, no sour grapes. The evidence is there for all to see ;)
"JUST WALK AWAY AND THERE WILL BE AN END TO THE HORROR"

Sandbeast
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Sandbeast » Feb 11. 2018, 19:09

Man, I know not to sleep on Yoel but I really did have Rockhold to win this. Damn.
Where am I going... and why am I in this hanbasket...?

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Feb 11. 2018, 19:34

Sandbeast wrote:Man, I know not to sleep on Yoel but I really did have Rockhold to win this. Damn.

just watched it again, still can't believe how no one noticed that he managed to bust both his and Yoel's legs during the first :D he just didn't know how to fight after he couldn't kick with his strong leg anymore... And holy shit, Yoel hiding an injury that he even mistook for a broken leg, that's what everyone says about Olympians: an unbreakable spirit.
FOTY - let's get it going!

Hvacpro
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby Hvacpro » Feb 11. 2018, 21:17

:like
yodelling wrote:
Sandbeast wrote:Man, I know not to sleep on Yoel but I really did have Rockhold to win this. Damn.

just watched it again, still can't believe how no one noticed that he managed to bust both his and Yoel's legs during the first :D he just didn't know how to fight after he couldn't kick with his strong leg anymore... And holy shit, Yoel hiding an injury that he even mistook for a broken leg, that's what everyone says about Olympians: an unbreakable spirit.

This is why Dana is not running things anymore.  This.  :shock:  :mrgreen: :like
Cheers to my Hater's, Be Patient, More to come.

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » Feb 12. 2018, 01:43

yodelling wrote:Great fight, I don't know why some would be so interested in whose "fault" it was for the outcome...

First thing worth mentioning is that Bisping messed up the title picture royally with his Henderson/GSP fights. Yoel should've gotten the shot ages ago against Bisping, and we wouldn't be caught in the mess we're at right now. So the win is more than deserved, and it's a huge pity he missed weight and didn't get a strap.

As for the fight, Rockhold came out with the plan to take Romero's legs out, which was actually a super smart strategy and actually worked for the first round, but he may have hit his shin on Romero's knee during the first, and when he comes back for the second you can see blood running down his leg, instead of the 8 or so leg-kicks he throws none.

He gets tentative after seeing his gameplan fly out the window, tries to compensate for the missing low-kick with a good jab, but Yoel starts exploding repeatedly once Rockhold's low-kicks aren't a factor anymore. From then on, it's all Romero, he gets inside and unleashes several flurries and Rockhold just has no answer to the closer-range game of Romero.

There is a reason why to blame his coach. Rockhold's game plan was leg kicks and that is it? You don't have only one thing in your bag if you are fighting for the belt, even if it's interim.
Romero was actually catching everything Rockhold thrown with his hand with ease (except jabs and low kicks partially, of course). Impressive. Especially after Rockhold changed camps and worked more with stand up coach...
Not really to blame anybody at the end of the day, I just know, my guts said no, no, and my brain said, yes, he is working more on stand up game, that will do the job, blablabla.

Return to “MMA VIDEOS”