Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Alan Jouban vs. Niko Price

MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
mattlandry
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Re: Alan Jouban vs. Niko Price

Postby mattlandry » Aug 9. 2017, 15:01

I don't think anyone thinks Jouban got screwed by the stoppage because he likely wasn't gonna come back. I personally don't want fights to be the "who gets a good punch in first" contest. Getting rocked shouldn't mean it's over IMO. He was still trying to move and get out of it and you give them a chance to fight out of it. I don't know why everyone loves early stoppages these days. Big John wouldn't have stopped it that quick. This dumbass ref still doesn't even know what a von flu choke is in 2017. Shouldn't be in charge of health and dreams IMO.

That being said. Jouban did a bad job and was 99% gonna lose anyway so the early stoppage worked out good this time.

You might need to turn off AdBlock

0T0
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby 0T0 » Aug 10. 2017, 00:17

paupre wrote:Well Jouban obviously needs to work on that head movement.  Good job by Price to see it and capitalize.  The stoppage was a little premature, Jouban was rocked no doubt but he did catch/block the kick after the straight punch on his way down.  I saw two clean shots land but Jouban was trying to position to defend himself.  I would of like to see it go a bit more, interesting to see how both fighters move on from here.  This is Joubans second lost where strikes played a huge factor, he has clean strikes but leaves openings.  Alvey is doing well but might fall in to the trap of thinking I don't need to change or improve as I am undefeated.

Agreed.
Great analysis.
It may have been too early, but it could have been nastier if Price was allowed to secure a base and connect with a few more. Guess we'll never know, but I err on the side of caution every time, with no exceptions. It's always better for a fighter to deal with upset than injury. Then again, I'm not the one taking an L for this bout.
DAMN homie!!! Quit hoggin' da Hateraid! Ya suppose' ta take a swig an' pass. It a' come back 'round ta ya soon nuff! $h¡t!

mattlandry
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby mattlandry » Aug 10. 2017, 14:21

0T0 wrote:
paupre wrote:Well Jouban obviously needs to work on that head movement.  Good job by Price to see it and capitalize.  The stoppage was a little premature, Jouban was rocked no doubt but he did catch/block the kick after the straight punch on his way down.  I saw two clean shots land but Jouban was trying to position to defend himself.  I would of like to see it go a bit more, interesting to see how both fighters move on from here.  This is Joubans second lost where strikes played a huge factor, he has clean strikes but leaves openings.  Alvey is doing well but might fall in to the trap of thinking I don't need to change or improve as I am undefeated.

Agreed.
Great analysis.
It may have been too early, but it could have been nastier if Price was allowed to secure a base and connect with a few more. Guess we'll never know, but I err on the side of caution every time, with no exceptions. It's always better for a fighter to deal with upset than injury. Then again, I'm not the one taking an L for this bout.

For sure man I pretty much agree with all of this. And that was a great analysis. I just always try to put myself in the fighters shoes. When your whole career is on the line you would never want a fight to be stopped when you are still trying to defend and move. If trying to move and defend isn't enough to be considered intelligently defending yourself then fights just become a who faces adversity first contest and amazing comebacks never get a chance to happen.

Luckily the best refs rarely stop fights this early but it seems like all these new refs do. However I totally understand that it's better for fighters to take the least amount of damage possible in a contest about hurting each other and everyone has their own opinions of what the opportunity to health ratio should be. It's hard to say weather a fighter should be able to get as hurt as he pleases or not when they are often too tough for their own good.

It's a topic that could go on forever is basically what I'm getting at lol

freeindeed
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby freeindeed » Aug 12. 2017, 05:57

Only so many hard blows to the head can be absorbed over a career. If you are hurt and it is 95% sure you will lose the fight, it is much better that the ref stops the fight and protects the fighter from their own bravery. Stopping those hard blows taken when you are nearly unconscious and sure to lose is the most important thing a referee has to do imho.

mattlandry
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby mattlandry » Aug 12. 2017, 08:16

For me, I would agree to stop a fight even when a fighter is defending if he's just getting constantly lit the f**k up and isn't throwing back but Alan Only really took one hurtful shot here. IMO one more would have been more fair to give him the chance to come back even if we think Alan doesn't have the heart to do it.

Interesting take though. I'm curious when the mindset changed that refs should stop the fight @ 95% chance you're gonna lose even if they are still moving away and only took a few hard shots rather than a few years ago when it was accepted that the rules meant stop the fight when the guy is actually done fighting or like a 98-100% range. It's hard to say our ideas of health being more important than dreams is better than the fighter when many weigh their dreams over their health 100%. Are we really smarter than them or do we just think we know better because we aren't fighters? It's an interesting question IMO.

freeindeed
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby freeindeed » Aug 13. 2017, 07:16

You have a much better chance of accomplishing your dreams in the future without brain damage. Losing 1 fight does not define your career; taking unnecessary, hurtful blows in a fight you will almost certainly lose may well do.

Chimp
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Chimp » Aug 13. 2017, 18:55

Great win. Stoppage looked legit, he was about to get pounded

0T0
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby 0T0 » Aug 16. 2017, 12:37

mattlandry wrote:
0T0 wrote:

Agreed.
Great analysis.

For sure man I pretty much agree with all of this. And that was a great analysis. I just always try to put myself in the fighters shoes. When your whole career is on the line you would never want a fight to be stopped when you are still trying to defend and move. If trying to move and defend isn't enough to be considered intelligently defending yourself then fights just become a who faces adversity first contest and amazing comebacks never get a chance to happen.

Luckily the best refs rarely stop fights this early but it seems like all these new refs do. However I totally understand that it's better for fighters to take the least amount of damage possible in a contest about hurting each other and everyone has their own opinions of what the opportunity to health ratio should be. It's hard to say weather a fighter should be able to get as hurt as he pleases or not when they are often too tough for their own good.

It's a topic that could go on forever is basically what I'm getting at lol

You're right.
There's been some amazing comebacks in the past, let's hope we get to enjoy a few more down the road. This fight was the perfect example of what you pointed out, as most of us are left wanting more.
DAMN homie!!! Quit hoggin' da Hateraid! Ya suppose' ta take a swig an' pass. It a' come back 'round ta ya soon nuff! $h¡t!

hooker
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby hooker » Aug 17. 2017, 16:11

paupre wrote:Well Jouban obviously needs to work on that head movement.  Good job by Price to see it and capitalize.  The stoppage was a little premature, Jouban was rocked no doubt but he did catch/block the kick after the straight punch on his way down.  I saw two clean shots land but Jouban was trying to position to defend himself.  I would of like to see it go a bit more, interesting to see how both fighters move on from here.

Rewatch the fight in the replay, Jouban gets cracked on the ground and his head and shoulders go limp, that is when the ref steps in. Jouban was done. I'm impressed by that call, I didn't see it at full speed but the slow-mo replay shows it clearly. 

Return to “MMA VIDEOS”