Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

My Fights of the Year 2017

MMA + Boxing + Kickboxing is merged. MMA Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews, ... EMBED or link to source site! Do not start Spoiler-TOPICS!
yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

My Fights of the Year 2017

Postby yodelling » Jan 8. 2018, 13:11

So, this year I decided to use my signature for good, and do my yearly wrap-up in a timely fashion. What will follow is a compilation of what I thought were the best fights in 2017. I'm not claiming to have watched all fights and every fighter in the UFC during the year, but I did (as usual) follow a good chunk of it.

Feel free to comment and suggest your own in case I haven't listed some or all of your favorites, in the end my intention is sharing (hah!) a part of what I think defines MMA so that fans/fighters and noobs alike get to experience more of what keeps us on the edge of our seats, already out of a very carefully filtered selection. There are a couple decisions in there which I think depict such a level of combativeness and technique, that getting to a finish becomes unimportant. So here we go!

12) Fili vs Lobov

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=92265

Fili is a technical warrior, Lobov fights like a wrecking machine and finds himself in my list of favorite fights every year. Enjoy while it lasts, because longevity doesn't seem to be one of his priorities :D

11) Ortega vs Moicano;

This was in UFC 214, but unfortunately the video hasn't been uploaded (I watched it elsewhere)... Completely worth the watch.

10) Lawler vs Cerrone;

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159

This had FOTY candidate written all over it even before they stepped in, if you haven't, watch this, another one from 214.

9) Miller vs Pettis;

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127

Lots of red sweat, to be expected when two warriors clash.

nr 8 - Johnson vs Borg

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=213

In this one we see how far ahead of everyone else (in all weight classes) MM is. Everything he does looks easy and refined. Like watching a "how to" instructional MMA video...

7) Cyborg vs Holm;

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=92692

There was just so much expectation surrounding this one. When a stronger technical striker meets a another technical striker, this is what happens, and it's just a symphony. Fights like these put WMMA on the map for casuals and veterans alike...

6) Cormier vs Jones 2

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154

We all know how this ended, and we also know that Jones was apparently "boosted" here, so it all puts Cormier's emotional breakdown under a new perspective. Regardless, it doesn't look like there's a "rivalry" as DC pointed it. Still so worth the watch, a lot of drama and super technical, precise and complete MMA fighting from both sides.

5) Bisping vs St. Pierre

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=92335

GSP had nothing to lose and everything to gain here, while Bisping had a lot to lose and didn't disappoint ( :D ). There was no way for him to turn down an offer for such an interesting fight, but his dream run at MW just hit a tiny, stocky brick-wall here. Back to gate-keeper status for him, while GSP makes a comeback that turns him into an even bigger legend. Maybe not the best fight of the year, but probably the one most worth the re-watch (along with nr. 6) for everything that surrounded it.

4) Johnson vs Gaethje

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123

Just WOW. Gathje managed to lure Johnson into his turf, got him to brawl, and we were gifted a war. Like with Lobov, watch all you can of Gathje now, because tomorrow looks damaged :D

3) Alvarez vs Gathje

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=92548

Funny how tomorrow can come faster than you think :D. Truth is I'm hoping Gathje comes back to populate my FOTY signature in 2018. One more year, man!!!

2) Oliveira vs Medeiros

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=92538

Flying under the radar for most, I watched this with no expectations and was just blown away. We all knew Yancy was capable of hanging in there and handle punishment while putting on a show, few saw Oliveira coming in this strong. Super worth the watch, both bringing the absolute best of each other out.

1) Ferguson vs Lee

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=212

A little bit (or a lot) of everything in this one. Trash-talking, media circus, staph infection and MMA until you're forced to tap. Ferguson does come out looking a bit more vulnerable than we expected, and Lee shows even more potential for evolution than the hype surrounding him suggested. This is why we keep watching this.

Thanks a lot for coming this far, on to another great year of fights ;)

*** EDIT ***

Honorable mentions from friends in MMAshare:

1) Vannata vs Teymur

viewtopic.php?t=90798

Yes, this is a barn burner, I might have missed it altogether.

2) Romero vs Whittaker

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124

Another great fight. I personally was upset it happened (saw my comment in the thread lol), Romero should've gotten the title shot but Bisping decided he'd ask Henderson for a rematch and give a shot to someone out of contention instead... This was the best fight that shouldn't have happened in 2017...

3) Green vs Vannata

http://video.fight2go.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=217

Yep, another good one with Vannata in it that I missed, he's definitely on a shortlist of fighters who always bring it and he always manages to lure his opponents into technical striking battles with him... The ending is priceless...

4) Bektic vs Elkins

viewtopic.php?t=90791

Insane finish, looked like a one sided beatdown until it wasn't anymore...
Last edited by yodelling on Jan 15. 2018, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
FOTY - let's get it going!

snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: My Fights of the Year 2017

Postby snake eyes » Jan 8. 2018, 16:27

Splendid post! I for one appreciate your input in fight video comments. These seem like good picks too but I will look into these later. Think I've seen these once.

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Jan 9. 2018, 01:16

snake eyes wrote:Splendid post! I for one appreciate your input in fight video comments. These seem like good picks too but I will look into these later. Think I've seen these once.

Thanks brother! I might have said it more than once already, but the appreciation is mutual ;) did I miss any of your favorites?

hippielove
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby hippielove » Jan 9. 2018, 10:53

Very good selection! These are good!  :fb
Thank You Sir!
Peace, Love and Happiness stuff

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Jan 9. 2018, 17:26

hippielove wrote:Very good selection! These are good!  :fb
Thank You Sir!

you're welcome brother! enjoy :)

SterlingStar
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby SterlingStar » Jan 11. 2018, 13:40

Romero vs Whitaker not make the list, nor Vannata vs Teymur?

Good picks though  :like
You hold them accountable but you don't hold an entire people accountable for their actions. That's racist." -rique000

nutmegnabi
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby nutmegnabi » Jan 11. 2018, 17:07

Good post, in spite of my fondness for Rose.

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Jan 12. 2018, 15:41

SterlingStar wrote:Romero vs Whitaker not make the list, nor Vannata vs Teymur?

Good picks though  :like

Good calls, will look them up tonight :D I believe the first one didn't make it, the second one I might have missed altogether, but whatever is worth mentioning in such a thread is definitely worth watching :D thanks for the shout!!

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Jan 12. 2018, 15:43

nutmegnabi wrote:Good post, in spite of my fondness for Rose.

thank you! I definitely enjoyed Rose's fight too, but it was a quick and clear victory, there was much more drama going into that fight as in the fight itself. Can't say I wasn't thrilled both during and after it though :D

snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby snake eyes » Jan 14. 2018, 07:42

yodelling wrote:
snake eyes wrote:Splendid post! I for one appreciate your input in fight video comments. These seem like good picks too but I will look into these later. Think I've seen these once.

Thanks brother! I might have said it more than once already, but the appreciation is mutual ;) did I miss any of your favorites?

Off the top of my head Vannata vs. Green and Bektic vs. Elkins were good too.

A Nameless Ghoul
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby A Nameless Ghoul » Jan 14. 2018, 12:22

Very good post by yodelling.

The Vannata vs Teymur fight should definitely be on everyone's list, a great fight. Intensity, back and forth action and some very proper striking.
Hate positively!

yodelling
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby yodelling » Jan 15. 2018, 08:58

A Nameless Ghoul wrote:Very good post by yodelling.

The Vannata vs Teymur fight should definitely be on everyone's list, a great fight. Intensity, back and forth action and some very proper striking.

thanks mate!!

A Nameless Ghoul
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby A Nameless Ghoul » Jan 15. 2018, 12:34

yodelling wrote:
A Nameless Ghoul wrote:Very good post by yodelling.

thanks mate!!

You're welcome!
I much prefer when tha actual game of MMA is discussed, instead of the usual nonsensical rants that are being thrown around, the tactics, techniques and the actual performance. A post like yours that highlights much of this with these videos deserves some praise.
Hate positively!

Return to “MMA VIDEOS”