Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Which protein powder, and when to take?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
battery
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Which protein powder, and when to take?

Postby battery » Sep 1. 2009, 18:21

I am just starting to work out, but would like some extra muscle mass. I hear lots of people use protein powder. Which brands do you recommend and when do i take it? ie. before working out or after working out. Thanks guys

You might need to turn off AdBlock

freeindeed
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby freeindeed » Sep 1. 2009, 18:35

battery
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby battery » Sep 1. 2009, 18:50

also i should mention I'm not looking to put on tons of weight, just something to help the muscles build faster or for the muscles to bulk up, without using steroids

Frank_The_Tank
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Frank_The_Tank » Sep 1. 2009, 22:17

i just started using elite protine mixed berry taste isnt bad but its defiently my fav that ive tried so far i will def reccomend that kind

if ur skinnier id try muscle milk...
Fav fighters: Gsp , Fedor , Alexander E. , Cro Cop , Gonzaga , Penn , Anderson Sylva , Wanderlei , BIG NOG ,
and remember kids....
Just because you watch alot of mma and are a member on many mma forums doesnt mean you can fight like an mma star;)

daviddalo
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby daviddalo » Sep 2. 2009, 03:53

battery wrote:also i should mention I'm not looking to put on tons of weight, just something to help the muscles build faster or for the muscles to bulk up, without using steroids

you wont put on tons of weight over night :roll: if you wanna build muscle mass, eat right, train right and rest well

protein powder wont do magic btw, its still lots and lots of work waiting for you

battery
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby battery » Sep 2. 2009, 07:48

daviddalo wrote:
battery wrote:also i should mention I'm not looking to put on tons of weight, just something to help the muscles build faster or for the muscles to bulk up, without using steroids

you wont put on tons of weight over night :roll: if you wanna build muscle mass, eat right, train right and rest well

protein powder wont do magic btw, its still lots and lots of work waiting for you

yes i understand, i have heard people say though that there are some protein powders(maybe it wasn't protein powder they were talking about) that make you gain lots of weight, i think it was quick mass or something. Anyways thanks for the reply's so far guys.

komando33386
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby komando33386 » Sep 2. 2009, 08:00

Its maybe creatine you've heard of, its been discussed in the forum before if you look for it.

battery
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby battery » Sep 2. 2009, 11:58

komando33386 wrote:Its maybe creatine you've heard of, its been discussed in the forum before if you look for it.

creatine just adds water into your muscles making you able to work out longer doesnt it?

daviddalo
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby daviddalo » Sep 2. 2009, 12:49

yes you can workout harder, the gains are mostly only water though and will disappear shortly after youve stopped taking it,
its not a shortcut to gaining musclemass either, creatine only really makes sense when youre not a complete noob to lifting anymore,
train hard 1-2years first and then you can consider taking it, it wont make alot of sense for a beginner to take it, with the right training, eating and resting habits, you will achieve good gains in the first months anyways :wink:

komando33386
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby komando33386 » Sep 2. 2009, 18:25

Yeah it aids muscle recovery and enhances muscle endurance, it is used as a body building aid but you are right, the initial gain is water retained in the muscles but you are meant to train harder n more frequently and thus helps build muscle's actual size.

battery
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby battery » Sep 2. 2009, 18:53

so since you guys seem to know quite a bit, i am fairly new to weight training. How long a day should i be working out? Should i do different parts of the body each day? Should i lift until it hurts? I'm not fat, but not skinny, i have extra fat that i dont want and you cant see my abs, how long do you think it will take to show any improvement if i work out every day?

komando33386
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby komando33386 » Sep 2. 2009, 19:02

Improvements quick of you have not trained much, after about 6 months they say you hit the wall where muscles have adapted and you have to change training methods. Only train an hour to about 2 hours, especially if your not used to it, dont worry about doing it everyday, muscle grows in its recovery period but if you can manage every day then you do indeed do diff muscles each day. If you do cardio then have cardio days. Dont lift till it hurts, it should never hurt, it should become difficult but not painful. Some things can be sort of painful as in burning sensation but thats lactic acid, its ok to have a build up of that but not for too long, stop doing the weights or whatever and shack off the acid till the burning stops (can damage muscles). Are you going to a gym or training at home? What are you aiming to do with training, as in get big, get fit, for a sport ect?

battery
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby battery » Sep 2. 2009, 19:14

komando33386 wrote:Improvements quick of you have not trained much, after about 6 months they say you hit the wall where muscles have adapted and you have to change training methods. Only train an hour to about 2 hours, especially if your not used to it, dont worry about doing it everyday, muscle grows in its recovery period but if you can manage every day then you do indeed do diff muscles each day. If you do cardio then have cardio days. Dont lift till it hurts, it should never hurt, it should become difficult but not painful. Some things can be sort of painful as in burning sensation but thats lactic acid, its ok to have a build up of that but not for too long, stop doing the weights or whatever and shack off the acid till the burning stops (can damage muscles). Are you going to a gym or training at home? What are you aiming to do with training, as in get big, get fit, for a sport ect?

Im Going to a gym, i was working out from home for a while but i didnt have the motivation i have at the gym. Also im not really looking to get huge, but i'd like to be nice and toned, some nice pecs and abs and arms and back, mostly upperbody, i have very strong and toned legs because i play high level hockey, but that pretty much only benefits the legs.

jojoclown777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby jojoclown777 » Sep 2. 2009, 19:28

I just started on brown rice protein powder. In a perfect world I'd hit it in the morning and then as a post-workout thing. In reality: I take it whenever I can remember - usually post-workout.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”