Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Left punch improvement(right handed guy)

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
vstipic23
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Left punch improvement(right handed guy)

Postby vstipic23 » Jul 10. 2016, 06:33

You will keep hurting your tendons and rotator cuff if you pull your shoulder out trying to swing with no winding up.

The secret is in winding up the left shoulder for the punch, but without turning the whole torso around. You have to step on it. All these "right off the bat" hooks will bring damage to your shoulder over time. If you must do it (to catch someone coming in) give yourself some room. What I mean is, let your left leg slide to the left when you start the hook, so you dip down a bit. You can pressure the shoulder more on the turn then, because there's some force (from the dip) that is being generated instead of it all coming from the shoulder (well, from the core obviously, but you get my drift).

But in general, left hook (power left hook) should come after a good right straight, so that your body is already positioned and twisted for it. The longer the hand travels, the stronger the punch. :)

phpBB [video]

Here from 3:31, Anderson shows it, it's the best video I could find in short time that shows it right. Only personally, I don't twist the fist, I leave the palm facing me but that's a debatable issue best left for some other time.

BTW, I hope you are killing chin-ups and 30 sec to a minute static chin-up holds. If not, your shoulder will go out in time anyway. Lots of stretching and this and you'll be fine. ;)

You might need to turn off AdBlock

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.

bopol
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby bopol » Jul 13. 2016, 05:12

The video helped me a lot!
Previous mmasharers talked about it earlier but I needed the little up movement of silvas shoulder to have the click in my brain and shoulder

It's not fluid yet since I have to make the effort to do the right move, but the speed and power is there, although the body rotation.

The first mmasharer gave me the idea to train my feet movement and rotation every time I walk past my apartment's doors

mlchagas
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby mlchagas » Jul 13. 2016, 13:34

bopol wrote:Do you... anything

There is no complex recipe to learning how to use your left hand: repetition is the way.

There is a problem with most of the Boxers / MT and their training because they oftenly chose sides, something which is basically what lead guys like you into such difficulties with numb hand strikes.

The best way is repeating slowly exactly what your right arm does. Copy the hips, head, shoulder movements etc.... everything you can see / understand from it.If you can double the repetitions it would be good as well (for instance: 10 hooks with your right and 20 hooks with your left). Remember to trade stances as wel, once you do good mirro'ing yourself your punches in switched stances will be a lot better.

There are several mechanisms to train: mechanical, strenghtening, conditioning, naturalizing movements... the list is huge. For now believe in me: slow repetitions with your numb arm will do MIRACLES.
斬捨御免!!! (kirisute gomen)

OSS!!!

poughboy101
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby poughboy101 » Jul 16. 2016, 16:32

^^^^^^ This

My Muay Thai coach would make us spar with our hand tied behind our back. That honestly helped me out alot. That and just practicing with it constantly. I actually think the Diaz brothers are not south paws they just fight that way. I believe RIchard Perez makes all his guys train like that.
Gracie Jiu Jitsu
Blue Belt 2/2/10
Purple Belt 8/12/13

mousse84
Zuffa
Zuffa
Location: 5x CRI Champ - XV~LX~LXXX~LXXXI~CVII, 10x VIP Invitational Champ, 2x LMS Champ - I & VIII

Postby mousse84 » Jul 23. 2016, 22:54

:hair

Odin-SAN
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Odin-SAN » Aug 14. 2016, 00:08

Speaking on this subject how did you guys find your stance? Was it what was more comfortable? in terms of stance and how punches would flow? I feel way more comfortable in South Paw however I notice some times my left Hand would lack in flow as well, in which as of right now I would some times have to remind myself to use it more. However compared to Orthodox I dont have to think as much as throwing my Right hand nor my left jabs. But my movement just feels quirkly and not as smooth. I guess just following everyones advice will be the best thing, just work on my weakness.

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Aug 14. 2016, 09:07

This helped me a lot in the beginning.
phpBB [video]

Practice the exact movement pattern over and over like only jabs with perfect technique for example, first slow then faster until you got it. Then use it in sparring etc etc...not that hard but you gotta be obsessed about it to really achieve a noticeable difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

TheArmbarKid
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby TheArmbarKid » Aug 19. 2016, 22:36

unmapped wrote:use it more when u eat or do simple tasks. write the alphabet for pages. need to create that connected feeling so its subconscious not labored when u try to fight with it

This is actually sage advice. The more often and varied the movements, the more dexterous your non-dominant side will become. Train to gain. Forcing your nervous system to think left hand dominant is an advantage in learning to fight with that side.
Jose Aldo is no longer #1 Pound for Pound :(

Trainerdave
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Trainerdave » Nov 27. 2016, 12:23

unmapped wrote:use it more when u eat or do simple tasks. write the alphabet for pages. need to create that connected feeling so its subconscious not labored when u try to fight with it

I agree with this, do as much as you can with your left, to where using it for something as simple as eating with a fork feels comfortable, and of course work the bag with it... practice makes perfect.

KC4
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby KC4 » Dec 20. 2016, 08:51

Are any of you guys righthanded southpaw¨¨¨. Got any advice for more power?

DanielTorJJ
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Left punch improvementright handed guy

Postby DanielTorJJ » Dec 21. 2016, 12:07

Even just a left handed riser with limb pockets would get me going. I have limbs, cams, etc.

bopol
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby bopol » Jan 13. 2017, 19:27

Trainerdave wrote:

I agree with this, do as much as you can with your left, to where using it for something as simple as eating with a fork feels comfortable, and of course work the bag with it... practice makes perfect.

Quite frankly this helped in a certain way.
I still can't brush my teeth with my left hand/hold a spoon/throw a basketball, i am not accurate enough for that. But my reflexes are accurate when for example one object is going to fall.
In combat it also  helped me.
I noticed on the A.Silva video (at 3:31) that his left hand goes down and his elbow goes up at the end of the hook. I have tried it, it kind of slowed me down, people saw the hook coming. I lost power because i was rotating more to the left. It help with the foot rotation. I find it useful when i want to avoid my opponent with a hook and then go to my left. But again power was an issue.
I have been told somewhere else that the hook should at the contrary go a little bit up. It is more fluid like that, and might be more accurate. And other guys on videos seem to believe it has to be very straight.
What do you guys think about this (small) point?
Thanks for all your inputs so far.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”