Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Left punch improvement(right handed guy)

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
bopol
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Left punch improvement(right handed guy)

Postby bopol » Jul 1. 2016, 16:10

Do you guys have any advice on how to improve left punches,essentially hooks and uppercuts?
When I don't set them up with a right, they are not as fluid, and fast. There us a time of latency that I don't have with the right hooks/uppercuts.
Although I feel like I have trouble rotating, compared to the right side.
I know I have more power with the left but those elements are limiting my potential.

Kind of a stupid question, but since I have long arms, I would like to reach a guy that is barely out of my reach with a hook. Do you have an efficient set up for that without breaking to much the form of the hook? Or at least is it possible?

It's not in a professional setting or anything

You might need to turn off AdBlock

unmapped
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Left punch improvement(right handed guy)

Postby unmapped » Jul 1. 2016, 17:36

use it more when u eat or do simple tasks. write the alphabet for pages. need to create that connected feeling so its subconscious not labored when u try to fight with it

komando33386
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby komando33386 » Jul 4. 2016, 14:44

unmapped wrote:use it more when u eat or do simple tasks. write the alphabet for pages. need to create that connected feeling so its subconscious not labored when u try to fight with it

... What?

WelshArmchairWarrior
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby WelshArmchairWarrior » Jul 4. 2016, 16:57

unmapped wrote:use it more when u eat or do simple tasks. write the alphabet for pages. need to create that connected feeling so its subconscious not labored when u try to fight with it

bopol
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby bopol » Jul 4. 2016, 17:03

WelshArmchairWarrior wrote:

He says I should use my left hand in a daily basis for day to day chores.
Tho I already do that, my problem still remains.

I also do shadow boxing, focusing on my left
I still have my shoulder not rotating in a harmonized manner with my core. And I feel it's part of the problem. My rotation is easier and deeper when I go right to left than left to right
I don't know if it's clear like that haha

WelshArmchairWarrior
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby WelshArmchairWarrior » Jul 4. 2016, 17:12

Ah ok makes sense now, he should've specified he was talking about using the left hand itself rather than using a left uppercut to eat & write the alphabet with lol.

komando33386
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby komando33386 » Jul 4. 2016, 17:33

When you throw a left hook (I assume you mean lead hook) then you twist on the toe to let it follow through (I'd guess you know that, but just in case). Also, when you twist in the torso, keep the arm in place till it stretches on the pectorals (you can only do this on the lead hook, and it makes it really strong) and then contract the pectorals just before impacting.

Practice it on a wall or doorframe. Hold your hand just a few inches from the wall and then torso twist till the pecs stretch and tense hard on the impact. So the hand stays few inches while the body twists and then you tense.

It works well to use it while stepping back. The more you straighten then arm out the more it stretches the pecs, so it's a long range hook. Practice a lead hook (normal bent elbow), followed with a step-back/lean-back and a long range left hook.

You actually throw the arm back to pull on the pecs too when you do it right. It's all about causing a stretch in the pecs -- obviously be careful of your shoulder at the attachments.

So torso goes to the right - you pulls arm to the left - it pulls on shoulder and pecs - outstretch arm to cause 'leverage' as you twist (causes more pull on pecs) -- and tense pecs, shoulder biceps pulling the arm back to you.

Do dumbell chest flys to strengthen the muscles involves. Doing torso twists side to side with small weights is really good too (torso is really where all the hook power comes from). I used to do 30-40 mins of side to side twists with small shadow bocing weights. I done it to music that increased in bpm as the tracks progressed.

- hands at shoulder height with weights
- hands chest height with fingers crossed together
- straights (you just torso twists and let the arms go forward)
- uppercuts (you just let the hands go with the twists)
- hands holding the top of head above the ears

That's about a 3 min track for each one.

Lead uppercuts are almost completely 'arm punches', so they're never going to be that strong.
Last edited by komando33386 on Jul 4. 2016, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

komando33386
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby komando33386 » Jul 4. 2016, 17:33

double

snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby snake eyes » Jul 5. 2016, 05:48

Just keep throwing the left punches (jabs, hooks and uppercuts) when shadowboxing and hitting the bag, to get familiar with "the feel" of punching with the left. Concentrate on the level/shoulder drop and the body rotation to get more power to an uppercut. My lead hand punches still suck compared to the right hand but I've learned to pack a decent power mainly by throwing A LOT of punches with the left. Aim to throw short and explosive punches and try to avoid losing balance. The biggest problem is that punching with the left generally just doesn't come natural to a right handed person. I reckon most orthodox strikers are battling with the same problem you are. It's hard to achieve the full potential of the hand but I believe you can get close just by throwing it a lot in practice.

If this doesn't help, switch the stance :lol:

bopol
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby bopol » Jul 5. 2016, 15:40

I mess up my clavicule/collar bone trying some things out yesterday night, I will rest a bit and tell you guys how it goes.
Thanks to all of you for your inputs.

I am still trying to figure out if I need to transfer my weight from left to right leg /and how to do it properly.
It does not go naturally for the left hook.

When I do a right hook I feel like not only rotating left to right, but my torso also leans on the left and go up on its right side.
I don't find this happening for the left hook

Anyway lots of things to figure out

komando33386
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby komando33386 » Jul 5. 2016, 16:54

That's not good. I apologise if my suggestions caused that, it's hard to explain it in writing.

If you are doing the hook I suggested then do punches on pads/bag from a few inches. You should be able to get a hard hit from 'nowhere'. Once you can do that, then you can let the arm arch a little more -- it's good to tighten up your punch to be less telegraphed anyway.

Yeah I tend to want to lean on a right too in order to put it through the target; lead hook is usually a bit more upright. Your lead foot (left foot) should be on toes, and should pivot round to allow you to stand side facing to your target when you throw. So if your lead foot faces your target, you're not pivoting. It should naturally go to the right with the momentum of the the torso twist.

Practice slow. Hope you've not hurt yourself.

bopol
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby bopol » Jul 5. 2016, 18:20

komando33386 wrote:That's not good. I apologise if my suggestions caused that, it's hard to explain it in writing.

If you are doing the hook I suggested then do punches on pads/bag from a few inches. You should be able to get a hard hit from 'nowhere'. Once you can do that, then you can let the arm arch a little more -- it's good to tighten up your punch to be less telegraphed anyway.

Yeah I tend to want to lean on a right too in order to put it through the target; lead hook is usually a bit more upright. Your lead foot (left foot) should be on toes, and should pivot round to allow you to stand side facing to your target when you throw. So if your lead foot faces your target, you're not pivoting. It should naturally go to the right with the momentum of the the torso twist.

Practice slow. Hope you've not hurt yourself.

Nah not your fault at all, I acted like I had my teenage body ready to bang at any time, completely forgot that I have to heat up before any activity haha

I don't have any bag, I mostly do shadow boxing, or go in the woods and hit hanging branches, or play with the pull up bars. I am thinking about catching one of the ducks hanging out there and hang it on a tree for personal use. They are not doing anything anyway except looking at women's butts when they are running
:lol:

Odin-SAN
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Odin-SAN » Jul 10. 2016, 01:00

I actually have the same problem with Lead right I can throw things smoother and faster and more naturally, with that being said my Left being in the back doesnt feel comfortable but I have been working on it by simply breaking it all down slowly. Throwing the punch focusing on full body movement and flow to make it right. Its a slower work in progress maybe about 2-4 weeks but neurological it helps.

Previously I would swap stances making left in front and its getting more comfortable throwing feints and jabs.

Im a big "form" guy maybe cause my student medical background but it just helps later down the road anyways.

So... what Im trying to say is w ork on it slowly allowing the body to lead rather than your hands but Im sure you got that ^^.

jojoclown777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby jojoclown777 » Jul 10. 2016, 04:04

bopol wrote:Nah not your fault at all, I acted like I had my teenage body ready to bang at any time, completely forgot that I have to heat up before any activity haha

Ha. Same problem here. Wisdom: DO NOT HIT A FUCKING HEAVY BAG AS HARD AS YOU CAN. IT'S NOT REALISTIC AND IT WILL f**k YOU UP.

Do mits with someone if you want to go heavy.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”