Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Advice on bodyweight exercises

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
ghettoking13
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Advice on bodyweight exercises

Postby ghettoking13 » Jun 28. 2016, 17:20

Hey guys I'm over visiting my family for a month in the US and have so much free time to kill. I decided I'd work out more and try to get stronger. Maybe get that planche down. The issue is there is no gym around and no outdoor workout spots. I have access to kids jungle gyms but they aren't that great and no where to do dips. So does anyone have any routines I could do around the house or limited to a jungle gym bar? Thanks guys

You might need to turn off AdBlock

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Advice on bodyweight exercises

Postby Robert223 » Jun 28. 2016, 20:26

Sure, what's your level of training currently?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

ghettoking13
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby ghettoking13 » Jun 28. 2016, 22:49

Robert223 wrote:Sure, what's your level of training currently?

I haven't been to the gym in a couple of months so not spectacular. But I can still benchpress over my bodyweight, do 20+ dips, planks for quite a bit of time etc. I don't know what that is. Maybe intermediate?

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Jun 29. 2016, 00:46

If your goal is strength I'd go for the classics like single leg squats, one arm pushups, one arm body rows (if one arm pullups aren't possible) and for the hamstring you could do single leg deadlifts (with as much weight as available).
If your goal is explosive power you could do supersets with single leg squats (up to 6 reps, add weight if possible) immediately followed by jump squats (6-10 reps as explosive as possible, this isn't about tiring the legs so don't do too many, each jump squat has to be 100% explosive).
Same goes for one arm pushups together with plyometric pushups and I even did it with deadlifts/kettlebell swings or weighted pullups and explosive pullups.
Keep rest times between 3-5 minutes between sets to be as fresh and explosive as possible.

If your goal is just to do a basic workout do:
pullups/bodyrows
bodyweight squats
single leg non-weighted deadlift
pushups
followed by a core workout

Another option would be to buy strong resistance bands. Those fuckers together with a bar or a broomstick if you must can "replace" weights for certain exercises.
You can even use them for "deadlifts/squats" without a bar:
phpBB [video]

(Just to show you the band squats, the rest is meh...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

ghettoking13
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby ghettoking13 » Jul 6. 2016, 12:59

Robert223 wrote:If your goal is strength I'd go for the classics like single leg squats, one arm pushups, one arm body rows (if one arm pullups aren't possible) and for the hamstring you could do single leg deadlifts (with as much weight as available).
If your goal is explosive power you could do supersets with single leg squats (up to 6 reps, add weight if possible) immediately followed by jump squats (6-10 reps as explosive as possible, this isn't about tiring the legs so don't do too many, each jump squat has to be 100% explosive).
Same goes for one arm pushups together with plyometric pushups and I even did it with deadlifts/kettlebell swings or weighted pullups and explosive pullups.
Keep rest times between 3-5 minutes between sets to be as fresh and explosive as possible.

If your goal is just to do a basic workout do:
pullups/bodyrows
bodyweight squats
single leg non-weighted deadlift
pushups
followed by a core workout

Another option would be to buy strong resistance bands. Those fuckers together with a bar or a broomstick if you must can "replace" weights for certain exercises.
You can even use them for "deadlifts/squats" without a bar:
phpBB [video]

(Just to show you the band squats, the rest is meh...)

Awesome thanks so much for that. I'll be doing these for sure.

thevillain
Dr. Octagon
Dr. Octagon

Postby thevillain » Jul 7. 2016, 20:20

If u into grappling/fighting you can use those exercises to work out a bit as well,enjoy

phpBB [video]
ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ มิวราด

EmptyW
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby EmptyW » Jul 8. 2016, 15:19

I only do body weight exercises.

Wall sits . Back against wall with knees bent 90degrees. Hold for as long as you can.
Push ups with feet on stairs.
1 hand door hang. Grip end of door near the doorknob, then sit back so legs and hips are at 90degees as long as you can, then switch hands. Its harder than it sounds.
Dips you can do between a counter top and table.

I have a climbing wall in my garage, and there is an outdoor fitness park nearby where I do pull ups and dips .

EmptyW
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby EmptyW » Jul 8. 2016, 15:24

I only do body weight exercises.

Wall sits . Back against wall with knees bent 90degrees. Hold for as long as you can.
Push ups with feet on stairs.
1 hand door hang. Grip end of door near the doorknob, then sit back so legs and hips are at 90degees as long as you can, then switch hands. Its harder than it sounds.
Dips you can do between a counter top and table.

I have a climbing wall in my garage, and there is an outdoor fitness park nearby where I do pull ups and dips .

jojoclown777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby jojoclown777 » Jul 8. 2016, 18:29

Body weight exercise can shit on a lot of other stuff. There are TONS of things for you to do that will make someone else pass out, but you have to do it circuit training style.

Here's one example:
Burpees-squat jumps ladders
1. 10 burpees; 1 jump squat
2. 9 burpees; 2 jump squats
3. 8 burpees; 3 jump squats
4. 7 burpees; 4 jump squats
5. 6 burpees; 5 jump squats
6. 5 b; 6 js
7. 4 b; 7 js
8. 3 b; 8 js
9. 2 b; 9 js
10. 1 b; 10 js

Warm up first before you do burpees, for the record. But this exercise will f**k up most people. I have a whole giant list of stuff like this you can do on different days as a warm up or the entree, but I don't have time to put it up here.

Here's a list of stuff though. I recommend doing a bunch for like 2 minutes and resting a minute. Or doing a fair number of each exercise, for each of a certain number of exercises, and then resting for a minute. Or you could do an exercise for 20 seconds straight and rest 10 seconds. Whatever.
1. squat jumps (fucking brutal after like 20)
2. Lunge jumps (lunges but you jump and switch legs in the air)
3. Pushups (obvously)
4. situps
5. Mountain climbers (these are FUCKING BRUTAL after a while)
6. Phantom chair (where you put your back against the wall and have your legs at a 90 degree angle)
7. Plank
8. Glute bridge (you basically lay on your back with your feet on ground but knees up like this ^, and then thrust your hips in the air; you'll look like a freak so dont do it in front of other people, but it's a good workout for a part of you that probably never gets worked out.
9. Straight leg raises (this is a classic in boxing; warm up first though; warm up before you do god damn anything with your back)
10. Sideways lunges.
11. Shadow boxing. (You can do this between things as well to keep the heart rate up. You should be slipping and bobbing and weaving after almost ever combo; keep your head moving around; keep circling and moving in and out with your feet)
12. Jumping jacks.

If you want to be Badass McBadass, do 20 seconds of one of the above and rest with 10 seconds of jumping jacks. Do like 6 rounds of everything. E.g., 1) pushups, 2) squat jumps, 3) plank, 4) mountain climbers, 5) straight leg raises. 20 seconds full blast on each and then "rest" with 10 seconds of jumping jacks. Then another round of all of them, then another, then another, then another. That will be a mother fucker of a workout, I promise. Intensity is more important than duration. Do various renditions of this every other day for a few weeks. Then once you're a badass, invite one of your fit friends to do "a simple workout" with you and make them puke and/or pass out.

Here's another quick workout you can do that can suck d but make you stronger:
ALL IN A ROW:
25 squats
25 squat jumps
25 lunges
25 lunge jumps (really we did 50 but whatever)

Also, don't embarrass yourself and insult the exercise by not going all the way down for squats/lunges. Always go to 90 degrees with your legs and keep your back as straight as you can. Legitimately hate people who bend their knees for squats to like 150 degrees.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”