Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Grappling Forum

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: Grappling Forum

Postby Kragge » Sep 16. 2016, 16:03

Kazparov wrote:
Kragge wrote:I used to train grappling at a gym that was mainly oriented towards MMA a few years ago. All grappling was without Gi, but now I have joined a pure BJJ gym. I'd guess I hold a skill level around blue belt when it comes to no gi techniques, but I've never rolled with a Gi. Is there any general advice, anyone would give that would br useful when you make that transition?

The friction of the go will take some getting used to. Also you'll be surprised how much you can use the go for offense and defense.

Also collar chokes

Yeah, the collar opens up a brand new world. It kind of adds another dimension to grappling to choke from other angles than just rear naked.

angst
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby angst » Sep 16. 2016, 19:54

Kragge wrote:I used to train grappling at a gym that was mainly oriented towards MMA a few years ago. All grappling was without Gi, but now I have joined a pure BJJ gym. I'd guess I hold a skill level around blue belt when it comes to no gi techniques, but I've never rolled with a Gi. Is there any general advice, anyone would give that would br useful when you make that transition?

in my opinion. no gi you have to agressively go after the submission, gi is all about the set up:position before submission.

grip fight, you'll learn tricks of using your opponents grips to your advantage eventually, but till then just don't accept some one getting a good grip on you.

i also find positional escapes much, much more difficult in the gi so dont accept someone getting a dominant position on you.

it's easier to defend submissions with the help of the gi so don't worry too much about not getting the tap. try of course, but be content to get a good control in dominant position and slowly force openings from there.

and finally, please wash your gi and belt after every class. i know gis are expensive but buy a couple: you and your training partners health are more important.

Jason Bourne
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby Jason Bourne » Sep 22. 2016, 04:49

its nice to have a grappling forum here

octopussy
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby octopussy » Oct 21. 2016, 04:13

We started just in our sportschool bij, we have a very Nice teacher