Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How many train ?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
Johnny_Morrissey
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: How many train ?

Postby Johnny_Morrissey » Feb 3. 2016, 17:44

Never did any martial arts until I was 43 and I saw Choke and fell in love with bjj and I'll be training 2 years in April and got my blue belt in October. I train 5-6 days per week, double classes weekdays, just a light roll on Saturday mornings to start the weekend off nice. I don't do anything else and don't wanna. I used to run, swim and cycle but now I only roll with some solid kneepads and I'm good and having the time of my life.

You might need to turn off AdBlock

The earth makes a sound as of sighs and the last drops fall from the emptied cloudless sky. A small boy, stretching out his hands and looking up at the blue sky, asked his mother how such a thing was possible. f**k off, she said.
(Samuel Beckett)

poughboy101
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby poughboy101 » Feb 3. 2016, 18:12

I have been training BJJ for about 11 years total and about 6 years MT kickboxing. Got my purple belt from Royce a couple years ago. (promoted by, not trained under, before someone tries to call me out). I am one of those BJJ saved my life kinda guys meaning wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for that. Went 4-1 amateur in Virginia and 1-0 pro before tearing my acl. Went to train too soon and tore it again. I was training heavily in some way almost every day before accidents. Hopefully i can heal properly this time and try again, but not getting my hopes too high.
Gracie Jiu Jitsu
Blue Belt 2/2/10
Purple Belt 8/12/13

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Feb 3. 2016, 20:53

poughboy101 wrote:I have been training BJJ for about 11 years total and about 6 years MT kickboxing. Got my purple belt from Royce a couple years ago. (promoted by, not trained under, before someone tries to call me out). I am one of those BJJ saved my life kinda guys meaning wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for that. Went 4-1 amateur in Virginia and 1-0 pro before tearing my acl. Went to train too soon and tore it again. I was training heavily in some way almost every day before accidents. Hopefully i can heal properly this time and try again, but not getting my hopes too high.

If you start training again do it the smart way. Check MM's S&C coach out he helped me a lot with finding the right balance between over and undertraining. :like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Johnny_Morrissey
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Johnny_Morrissey » Feb 5. 2016, 17:25

poughboy101 wrote:I have been training BJJ for about 11 years total and about 6 years MT kickboxing. Got my purple belt from Royce a couple years ago. (promoted by, not trained under, before someone tries to call me out). I am one of those BJJ saved my life kinda guys meaning wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for that. Went 4-1 amateur in Virginia and 1-0 pro before tearing my acl. Went to train too soon and tore it again. I was training heavily in some way almost every day before accidents. Hopefully i can heal properly this time and try again, but not getting my hopes too high.

When I started rolling I looked at the purple belts at the gym I train at in awe and made my goal to get to purple. Now I don't really mind I just want to keep rolling for the benefits I get off the mat. I love the social side of it, the friendships you make just as much as the rolling. I hope you heal and get back to where you want to be. Good luck with it anyway. :like
The earth makes a sound as of sighs and the last drops fall from the emptied cloudless sky. A small boy, stretching out his hands and looking up at the blue sky, asked his mother how such a thing was possible. f**k off, she said.
(Samuel Beckett)

poughboy101
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby poughboy101 » Feb 6. 2016, 16:37

Johnny_Morrissey wrote:

When I started rolling I looked at the purple belts at the gym I train at in awe and made my goal to get to purple. Now I don't really mind I just want to keep rolling for the benefits I get off the mat. I love the social side of it, the friendships you make just as much as the rolling. I hope you heal and get back to where you want to be. Good luck with it anyway. :like

Thank you both for the support. I just have to be patient and rehab like I am supposed to. Second time I tore it I was actually rolling with a white belt who outweighed me by 40 pounds give or take. Lol white belts will hurt you faster than a black belt :laugh

But Johnny Morrissey that is the trick to getting better. You kinda just got to go with it. When I am dead tired i roll with my eyes closed, try it. I believe Ryan Hall does this quite often. I know when he rolled with Marcelo Garcia he did mostly. Didn't work out to well for him against the guillotine master though lol..

phpBB [video]

This is one of many parts to it. I recommend watching all of them if you get a chance. Great chess match. Ignore the music.

Edit: they kinda turn it up a notch in the other parts
Gracie Jiu Jitsu
Blue Belt 2/2/10
Purple Belt 8/12/13

jojoclown777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby jojoclown777 » Feb 7. 2016, 18:34

Johnny_Morrissey wrote:Never did any martial arts until I was 43 and I saw Choke and fell in love with bjj and I'll be training 2 years in April and got my blue belt in October. ... now I only roll with some solid kneepads

That's rad! Why knee pads? I notice my left kneecap hurts all the gd time but it's mostly from doofy wrestling warmups before bjj.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Feb 8. 2016, 06:24

jojoclown777 wrote:
Johnny_Morrissey wrote:Never did any martial arts until I was 43 and I saw Choke and fell in love with bjj and I'll be training 2 years in April and got my blue belt in October. ... now I only roll with some solid kneepads

That's rad! Why knee pads? I notice my left kneecap hurts all the gd time but it's mostly from doofy wrestling warmups before bjj.

I don't know about Johnny, but I roll with kneepads on as well because I have arthritis in both knees and minimal cartilage left in my left knee and it provides some cushion and support that I no longer have because of the arthritis. It also makes it easier to pivot for me because the kneepads "slip" instead of "pull" on mats. It also makes it easier in some cases for me to grip my other foot behind my knee when doing triangles, omoplatas, body triangles, etc etc. My granddaddy, who was the man I got my black belt in Judo under before he passed, never wore any pads and said they were for pussies and lightweights haha. Then again he came from a different era, but man was he damn good at what he did.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Johnny_Morrissey
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Johnny_Morrissey » Feb 8. 2016, 18:02

jojoclown777 wrote:

My knees are shot pretty much I have to use the pads or my legs stiffen up... my right knee seized up on me before I got the knee pads. Just stops them getting sore and stiff.

We train on Zebra mats which are really hard and when we train take downs there's a lot of wrestling type of takes downs they train us to do and I always miss them classes now because even with the pads the knees get really sore.
(Samuel Beckett)

Johnny_Morrissey
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Johnny_Morrissey » Feb 8. 2016, 18:20

xSamWaynex wrote:
jojoclown777 wrote:

I don't know about Johnny, but I roll with kneepads on as well because I have arthritis in both knees and minimal cartilage left in my left knee and it provides some cushion and support that I no longer have because of the arthritis. It also makes it easier to pivot for me because the kneepads "slip" instead of "pull" on mats. It also makes it easier in some cases for me to grip my other foot behind my knee when doing triangles, omoplatas, body triangles, etc etc. My granddaddy, who was the man I got my black belt in Judo under before he passed, never wore any pads and said they were for pussies and lightweights haha. Then again he came from a different era, but man was he damn good at what he did.

Lol... I fully accept that I am a pussy and a lightweight. Arthritis don't sound good Sam. Hope it's not too bad.

Tbh with you I just roll with knee pads because I'm thinking 10-15 years down the line I still want to be rolling and if I don't protect the knees I'll have to stop and I don't want that to happen. It's preventative so hopefully I don't let the knees deteriorate to the point where I have to stop.
(Samuel Beckett)

Johnny_Morrissey
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Johnny_Morrissey » Feb 8. 2016, 18:27

poughboy101 wrote:
Thank you both for the support. I just have to be patient and rehab like I am supposed to. Second time I tore it I was actually rolling with a white belt who outweighed me by 40 pounds give or take. Lol white belts will hurt you faster than a black belt :laugh

But Johnny Morrissey that is the trick to getting better. You kinda just got to go with it. When I am dead tired i roll with my eyes closed, try it. I believe Ryan Hall does this quite often. I know when he rolled with Marcelo Garcia he did mostly. Didn't work out to well for him against the guillotine master though lol..

phpBB [video]

This is one of many parts to it. I recommend watching all of them if you get a chance. Great chess match. Ignore the music.

Edit: they kinda turn it up a notch in the other parts

Thanks... Marcelo is the man and I'll watch those vids for sure. The first one is sick as hell, just flowing and feeling it. Fun to watch them at no gi.

White belts are mad some of them. Some go beast mode like they have to prove they're tough, when just relaxing and being comfortable you seem to learn more that way. All part of the journey so it's all good.
(Samuel Beckett)

D-MMAN
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby D-MMAN » Feb 12. 2016, 18:11

Johnny_Morrissey wrote:

Yeah man, I was gurning for my blue when I got it, but totally happy at blue when I got my purple. I feel like I never want to get my brown, haha let alone black. I feel like I know nothing....

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Feb 13. 2016, 09:52

Johnny_Morrissey wrote:Lol... I fully accept that I am a pussy and a lightweight. Arthritis don't sound good Sam. Hope it's not too bad.

Tbh with you I just roll with knee pads because I'm thinking 10-15 years down the line I still want to be rolling and if I don't protect the knees I'll have to stop and I don't want that to happen. It's preventative so hopefully I don't let the knees deteriorate to the point where I have to stop.

I too am a pussy and a lightweight compared to my granddaddy haha. He was a marine and a Korean war veteran. As far as the arthritis, right now it's moderate and just like all arthritis it will get worse over time but for now I can deal with it. Have bad days of course but I have to push through the pain or else I can't do the things I love to do.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

jojoclown777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby jojoclown777 » Feb 22. 2016, 00:34

My knees are generally ok but that god damn wrestling warm up we do where you shoot by dropping your front knee and using your back knee to swing up thing? My knee still hurts from that shit on Friday.

Holy f**k I'm terrible at BJJ btw. It wouldn't be an issue if blue belts were f'ing me up, but some of these bastards (killing me) have been there as long as me. I take solace in, the probably delusional view, that I could beat them at boxing. One blue belt has terrible cardio. That shit makes me feel like this: 8) 8) 8)

Johnny_Morrissey
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Johnny_Morrissey » Feb 22. 2016, 18:01

D-MMAN wrote:
Johnny_Morrissey wrote:

Yeah man, I was gurning for my blue when I got it, but totally happy at blue when I got my purple. I feel like I never want to get my brown, haha let alone black. I feel like I know nothing....

Haha me too. Know nothing bitch instead of do nothing bitch that's what I am as well.

I'm figuring out a few things... first, that I need good sleep or I'm too tired to roll with energy and it makes me want to play open guard all the time. Second, I need to work where I'm bad and so deliberately go to someone with a good open guard because I find that hard to pass, or go with a certain guy because he loves the pressure game on top leading to the sub. Just stuff like that. Seems simple but it's probably as much about making conscious decisions to actively look to get better as best as I can rather than just thinking that I'll get better by turning up and having a roll. I'm first week in to being active about learning so hopefully I'll see the improvements and feel better about what I'm doing.
(Samuel Beckett)

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”