Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How many train ?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
User avatar
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2794
Joined: Jan 24. 2014, 00:59
Location: Norte Cackalacky

Re: How many train ?

Postby xSamWaynex » Aug 4. 2015, 17:54

I have done Judo ever since I was five years old, and now I am a 2nd dan. I would be further along but I took some time off after the death of my granddaddy, and also ended up getting sick and was unable to train for a while. I started doing Jiu Jitsu when I was 23, and at the moment I am a purple belt, but should be getting my brown belt very soon. Again I would be further along in BJJ as well had I not gotten sick. I took TKD for a little while but didn't get very far in the belt rankings. I started JKD when I was 13, and for tournament purposes I am ranked as a "purple belt". I wrestled in high school and in college, as well as competing in some amateur boxing matches. During college I started doing MMA as an amateur, and then turned pro shortly after, although I can no longer compete professionally.

You might need to turn off AdBlock




"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
bigtahoe
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Posts: 1561
Joined: Apr 29. 2007, 23:05

Re: How many train ?

Postby bigtahoe » Aug 4. 2015, 18:00

I lift weights, olympic lifting and power lifting mostly with a little bit of body building type lifting for my beach body, and I run about 20 miles a week on average.

As far as actually training to fight in a gym, unfortunately no, my job doesn't give me much free time. If I just did BJJ or boxing, maybe, but then I wouldn't have enough time to lift weights and run.

User avatar
RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Posts: 8083
Joined: Oct 11. 2009, 03:10
Location: DOGPAIL INDUSTRIES: A legendary movement run by Phteves

Re: How many train ?

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Aug 4. 2015, 18:58

bigtahoe wrote:I lift weights, olympic lifting and power lifting mostly with a little bit of body building type lifting for my beach body, and I run about 20 miles a week on average.

As far as actually training to fight in a gym, unfortunately no, my job doesn't give me much free time. If I just did BJJ or boxing, maybe, but then I wouldn't have enough time to lift weights and run.


same boat, just weights and running these days... likely that will be my path here on out

but















you






















never





























know :)

User avatar
Floyduss
Presidential Suite
Presidential Suite
Posts: 12130
Joined: Oct 10. 2009, 19:57
Location: AV Bet record: 15-10
Contact:

Re: How many train ?

Postby Floyduss » Aug 4. 2015, 21:01

xSamWaynex wrote:I have done Judo ever since I was five years old, and now I am a 2nd dan. I would be further along but I took some time off after the death of my granddaddy, and also ended up getting sick and was unable to train for a while. I started doing Jiu Jitsu when I was 23, and at the moment I am a purple belt, but should be getting my brown belt very soon. Again I would be further along in BJJ as well had I not gotten sick. I took TKD for a little while but didn't get very far in the belt rankings. I started JKD when I was 13, and for tournament purposes I am ranked as a "purple belt". I wrestled in high school and in college, as well as competing in some amateur boxing matches. During college I started doing MMA as an amateur, and then turned pro shortly after, although I can no longer compete professionally.


Interesting story man how come you can no longer compete?
'I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.' - Mike Tyson

http://bestbonusbets.com/betting-sites/

User avatar
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2794
Joined: Jan 24. 2014, 00:59
Location: Norte Cackalacky

Re: How many train ?

Postby xSamWaynex » Aug 4. 2015, 21:14

Floyduss wrote:
xSamWaynex wrote:I have done Judo ever since I was five years old, and now I am a 2nd dan. I would be further along but I took some time off after the death of my granddaddy, and also ended up getting sick and was unable to train for a while. I started doing Jiu Jitsu when I was 23, and at the moment I am a purple belt, but should be getting my brown belt very soon. Again I would be further along in BJJ as well had I not gotten sick. I took TKD for a little while but didn't get very far in the belt rankings. I started JKD when I was 13, and for tournament purposes I am ranked as a "purple belt". I wrestled in high school and in college, as well as competing in some amateur boxing matches. During college I started doing MMA as an amateur, and then turned pro shortly after, although I can no longer compete professionally.


Interesting story man how come you can no longer compete?


I have a condition known as Stevens Johnson Syndrome. It did a lot of damage to my body. Because of that damage, especially to my joints, I know have arthritis. I can't take regular arthritis meds because of two reasons. 1.) There are certain ones I can't take because my immune system was compromised from the SJS, and if I took those medications I would be more susceptible to getting things like TB, as well as other more serious infections. And 2.) The NSAID's that most arthritis patients are prescribed I am highly allergic to. So I have to take pain meds. I don't take them everyday, but I do take them frequently enough to have them stay in my system. You can't fight with a certain level of opiates in your system, so I had to quit fighting. If there were better ways to manage my pain I would quit taking the opiates and try and get licensed again. But so far the pain is too much. Like I said not everyday, but enough days out of the week that the meds would be too elevated for me to pass a urinalysis. I can still train though, just not as often as I used to.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Search-Destroy
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 12. 2009, 02:46
Location: Waiting for Lyoto to take back the crown!

Re: How many train ?

Postby Search-Destroy » Aug 5. 2015, 11:01

I used to lift a lot and train mma, I always wanted to take an ammy fight just once for the experience, but I still haven't. Last November I was wrestling and messed up my shoulder again. Turns out it was a torn labrum and I had surgery 6 months ago to fix it. My other shoulder isn't feeling 100% either, but I can still use it normally for the most part - for now. I'm hoping that the surgery will heal back 100% (still far from it), so I can start boxing and wrestling again. I want to do that one fight before it's too late. I would even enjoy an amateur boxing match, but we don't have those around here.

oyasun
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 19
Joined: Aug 29. 2010, 11:50

Re: How many train ?

Postby oyasun » Sep 24. 2015, 01:28

I train 3x/wk. Each time about an hour. I start with the stationary bike for 10 minutes, follow by 10 burpees. Then, calisthenics; chin ups, dips, inverted hand stand push ups, regular push ups, sit ups, and pull downs. three sets of 10 reps in a circuit training like style. then, i do weights; regular bench, curls and military. Again, 3 sets of 10 reps. Moving the whole time from one exercise to the next with v little rest in between. Next is the warm down with stretches, follow by round kicks and 100 punches on to car tires. I've been do this for about a yr. i can see improvements in some areas. but, i feel that i am plateauing. anyone with experience in circuit training?

bochufani16
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 60
Joined: Dec 14. 2015, 13:55

Re: How many train ?

Postby bochufani16 » Dec 14. 2015, 14:19

everybody got his own way of training

User avatar
Crud
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 630
Joined: Dec 31. 2014, 18:36

Re: How many train ?

Postby Crud » Dec 29. 2015, 00:15

I train Muay Thai and have my first amateur tournament in March. I train Three times a week at a gym, sparring and drilling technique and foot work. I also try to run 3 times a week and hit the bag for a few rounds on days that I'm not in class. Does anyone have any tips on fight preparation? It would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 10642
Joined: Oct 13. 2009, 13:35
Location: North not cut

Re: How many train ?

Postby snake eyes » Dec 29. 2015, 03:08

Used to train MT and BJJ. As of late it has mostly been movement and spiritual :lol:

User avatar
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2794
Joined: Jan 24. 2014, 00:59
Location: Norte Cackalacky

Re: How many train ?

Postby xSamWaynex » Dec 29. 2015, 20:04

Crud wrote:I train Muay Thai and have my first amateur tournament in March. I train Three times a week at a gym, sparring and drilling technique and foot work. I also try to run 3 times a week and hit the bag for a few rounds on days that I'm not in class. Does anyone have any tips on fight preparation? It would be greatly appreciated.


Take it easy on the heavy bag, and do mostly just shadow boxing, or work on your foot work and hand speed about two to three weeks before your actual fight. Sparring with someone is not a good idea when you get closer to a fight. But for now just keep doing what your doing, and make sure to ask those around you that you trust to tell you the truth about your current skill level.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Crud
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 630
Joined: Dec 31. 2014, 18:36

Re: How many train ?

Postby Crud » Dec 29. 2015, 21:31

xSamWaynex wrote:
Crud wrote:I train Muay Thai and have my first amateur tournament in March. I train Three times a week at a gym, sparring and drilling technique and foot work. I also try to run 3 times a week and hit the bag for a few rounds on days that I'm not in class. Does anyone have any tips on fight preparation? It would be greatly appreciated.


Take it easy on the heavy bag, and do mostly just shadow boxing, or work on your foot work and hand speed about two to three weeks before your actual fight. Sparring with someone is not a good idea when you get closer to a fight. But for now just keep doing what your doing, and make sure to ask those around you that you trust to tell you the truth about your current skill level.


Thank You :like

User avatar
Kong Dong
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Posts: 1979
Joined: Dec 15. 2015, 04:09

Re: How many train ?

Postby Kong Dong » Jan 7. 2016, 04:05

I boxed from when I was 10 till I was 18. I wanted to do MMA but my town had no gym. There was a BJJ gym and I trained there for about a month but it was really expensive and there were these fancy rash guard douche guys who made it pretty gay.
Supportin Overeem, Lolmero, Perry and T-Wood. No manlets allowed in this sig.

User avatar
chris_nc99
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 29. 2011, 12:01

Re: How many train ?

Postby chris_nc99 » Jan 7. 2016, 09:54

I gets it in aboot 3 times a week. Varying training with varying results.
"Gang signs with the right hand, and balloon animals with the left hand."


Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”