Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How many train ?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
blackbelt101
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Re: How many train ?

Postby blackbelt101 » Aug 6. 2014, 10:21

Hello,
Im going to thailand to train for 8 weeks. Will make a thread/blog later~

steekmoer
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby steekmoer » Feb 3. 2015, 06:54

how about never......i received my Black Belt in Karate when I was still a kid.
I now have Kids who have belts of their own....I am training pretty hard at getting a Beer belly...LOL!

Does it count that I Ninja the Furniture when I am watching MMA?
Sulky Poo Pants

vstipic23
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby vstipic23 » Feb 3. 2015, 07:06

steekmoer wrote:how about never......i received my Black Belt in Karate when I was still a kid.
I now have Kids who have belts of their own....I am training pretty hard at getting a Beer belly...LOL!

Of course it does and don't let anyone tell you differently. ;)
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.

steekmoer
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby steekmoer » Feb 3. 2015, 07:20

vstipic23 wrote:
steekmoer wrote:how about never......i received my Black Belt in Karate when I was still a kid.

Of course it does and don't let anyone tell you differently. ;)

Couch - 1
Me - 0
Sulky Poo Pants

Dendra
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Dendra » Feb 3. 2015, 08:17

REAGANSMASH! wrote:Real things people say when they walk into my gym: 'do you guys train UFC or just that pussy mma crap?'

Rofl that can't be for real, hilarious :D

I do str&cond. three times a week - bells, trx, weights, plyometrics and all that good stuff. Currently injured so can't run but otherwise 6x week running training (for 800m). Also doing ashanti yoga twice a week at a friend's studio.

We've got a few BJJ gyms around here, but some of my friends got injured rolling with muscleheads so I've stayed away from BJJ for now - last thing I need is to roll with some roided wannabe and get my body fked up. Of all the mma disciplines BJJ is the one I'll definitely do at some point, just not while I compete in running.
Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.

Floyduss
Presidential Suite
Presidential Suite

Postby Floyduss » Feb 3. 2015, 19:47

Dendra wrote:
REAGANSMASH! wrote:Real things people say when they walk into my gym: 'do you guys train UFC or just that pussy mma crap?'

I do str&cond. three times a week - bells, trx, weights, plyometrics and all that good stuff. Currently injured so can't run but otherwise 6x week running training (for 800m). Also doing ashanti yoga twice a week at a friend's studio.

We've got a few BJJ gyms around here, but some of my friends got injured rolling with muscleheads so I've stayed away from BJJ for now - last thing I need is to roll with some roided wannabe and get my body fked up. Of all the mma disciplines BJJ is the one I'll definitely do at some point, just not while I compete in running.

How's yoga going for you? It's something i've always wanted to do but have never been sure on the benfits. Seems like a go recovery session at night tho
'I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.' - Mike Tyson

http://bestbonusbets.com/betting-sites/

MANTIS TOBOGGAN
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION

Postby MANTIS TOBOGGAN » Feb 3. 2015, 20:04

Floyduss wrote:
Dendra wrote:

How's yoga going for you? It's something i've always wanted to do but have never been sure on the benfits. Seems like a go recovery session at night tho

I do yoga, i thought it would be total bullshit but it's actually quite nice.i rather enjoy it plus my sisters hot friends are the ones that got me into it so that was also a plus..
"it's generally because I learned that lesson the hard way.
The cost of that wisdom came as the result of a fuck-up.
Typically with a large price tag"
-Coach Rich-

CRI-XXII-LXXVI-CHAMPION

Dendra
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Dendra » Feb 4. 2015, 05:05

Floyduss wrote:How's yoga going for you? It's something i've always wanted to do but have never been sure on the benfits. Seems like a go recovery session at night tho

I've learned a few neat things - when stretching you breathe just through the nose, inhale when relaxed and exhale when stretching further.

So when you want to stretch a part of body, you don't start right away by pushing to your max. Instead you start a few notches back, breathe in, feel your body expand, then slowly breathe out and push a bit, again breathe in, holding that position, then breathe out and push a little bit further, now you're close to that "max" you wanted to reach right away, you breathe in again, breathe out and push a little bit further, rinse n repeat until you stretch as far as possible - so this way your final point ends up much further than your usual maximum.

(i.e. in the past I was just breathing normally when stretching or holding breath when trying really hard to stretch a little bit further - and this method of proper breathing rhythm helps a lot, like let's say you're on the floor trying to reach for your toes with your hands - I might start that position reaching my socks and after five or six inhales/exhales I'll have full length of my fingers wrapped behind my feet).

In general I do one day 1h of vinyasa, other day 1h of ashtanga and it's always precisely before my str&cond training, so I come to that training with basically an hour of warm-up to feel more relaxed and loose. (vinyasa/ashtanga are basically same shit only with different intensity and different set up/rotation of exercises).

This was a video my instructor sent me to do over the winter holidays (looks boring as fk, first day of yoga I told her there's no way I'd do this for one hour alone at home, but over the course of doing it for several months, you get into the groove so to say):

phpBB [video]

Basically you always want to keep the proper form - so i.e. at around 40min mark you see in the video that the top arm should be stretched directly above your head, so if your top arm is hanging half-way to that point, it means you should move up your bottom arm and instead of trying to reach the floor, just hold your ankle with it, so that way you can stretch out properly.

Doing yoga with an instructor helps you fix a lot of mistakes and understand what you are doing - and makes it a lot less boring, especially if the yoga instructor is hot - though for the life of me I can't figure out why I'm not turned on doing those classes, must be because I go in there with laser focus on improving my flexibility and the training mindset is turned on, when you wage war against your stiff body there ain't no time for stiff peckers.
Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.

mvardalos
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby mvardalos » Feb 4. 2015, 05:19

I train kickboxing and boxing about 2-3 times per week. Except high pressure periods in work that i stop for a couple of weeks.

I had karate lessons as kid and some mma for about a year. I have stoped mma training now and 3-4 years (unfortunately my teacher is unable to teach for now )but is always in my mid to start again,

MMAJuggalo
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby MMAJuggalo » Aug 1. 2015, 15:57

I posted this same question some years ago and I was pleasantly surprised by the responses and how many posters do train. I have been training for some years in MMA and that includes: Muay Thai, Boxing, BJJ, Wrestling, Jujitsu, Judo, Kajukenbo, Krav Maga, Karate, Aikido and a little Wing Chun.
Last edited by MMAJuggalo on Aug 1. 2015, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
"If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." -Rickson Gracie

Logan
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Logan » Aug 1. 2015, 16:04

I have trained strenght and condition since I was 14 (38 today), and I still train at least three times a week.

I have trained karate for three years and capoeira for three years when I was younger.

steekmoer
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby steekmoer » Aug 4. 2015, 12:43

Either before, after or during a UFC event on the TV.....I Ninja the furniture.

It's a lot harder than you think....it has taken me many years of watching Pride, UFC, Bellator...etc to perfect
the art of Ninja-ing the furniture.....

Don't be fooled by the Furniture's natural vegative state....remember....you are in the Furniture's natural Habitat.
You will need to stretch with a few Beers or other mind altering substances (your poison of choice) before
you can Ninja the furniture without hurting yourself.

I find that the best time to do this is usually when the Wife and Kids are in Bed........I know that you must be thinking
why this is necessary.

Well.....the reason is because sometimes if you have "stretched" too much before mastering the Ninja within...You
might decide that a moving target is more fun to Ninja.....hence the reason for clearing the room of wives and small children....sometimes the Ninja within can take over and you confuse moving objects with the Furniture.

that said.....I do have a Black Belt in Karate....got it when I was a kid.
Then they hand you a senior Yellow belt....and you have to start all over again.
That's when I gave up....LOL.

I have attached some pics to help you with Stretching....any of these should help you find the inner Ninja within.
Good luck.....I will be training very hard this weekend....consider the Furniture Ninja'd.

Sulky Poo Pants

The Oct
CRI President since CRI 91
CRI President since CRI 91

Postby The Oct » Aug 4. 2015, 13:11

Been just teaching myself for the past 5 years, which basically means I know nothing.

Just started taking classes a few weeks ago though. Can't wait to compete one day.
"Behind these eyes, one finds, only darkness... These are the eyes, of a psychopath."
- Dr. Loomis

MacDude
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby MacDude » Aug 4. 2015, 14:02

Was working on a beer belly myself the past while after a back injury. Ran marathons and trained for years. Motivated again and just built a new gym in the basement. Will post before and afters in about 6 months. :fb
"Life is short, limits are over-rated, and pain is just weakness leaving the body."
- MacDude

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”