Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How many train ?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
ezrollin
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

How many train ?

Postby ezrollin » Apr 16. 2013, 17:04

Just curious how many posters actually train at least three days a week at either some type of mma,resistance/stamina or just a couch potato.I have 8-10 weeks into resistance training with dumbbells [5-50] for general strengthening and stamina.I plan on heavy bag work a couple of days a week as soon as I get this @#$% garage cleaned out.Though it might be interesting to see what everyone else is doing.Please no bull shit,no one will be impressed .

You might need to turn off AdBlock

Real Women don't fight Trannies

axelstoner
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: How many train ?

Postby axelstoner » Apr 16. 2013, 17:45

lucky if i train 3 times a month :hair

JackHawk MMA
H.O.F. CRI3
H.O.F. CRI3

Postby JackHawk MMA » Apr 16. 2013, 18:09

Every summer I chop about 5 chords of wood by hand with an ax. it takes me about a month. If I don't, I will freeze to death in the winter, does that count? :lol:

I'm a lumber jack hawk :mrgreen:

I did Karate at Tiger Shulman's as a kid for like 2 years (ages 12-14)

Boxed at the local PAL for about 6 months after that... and ultimately decided I was much better at sports with a ball, and I didn't enjoy getting punched in my big Italian beak :P
Brian Stann for President.

"f**k you George"

MMI - Northeast Squadron

D-MMAN
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby D-MMAN » Apr 16. 2013, 19:31

I train BJJ 3-4 times a week, MMA twice and usually try to fit a Kickboxing session or some sparring in. I try to get a couple of runs or some strength work in too but that is usually dependant on how sore I am from the rest of my training. I'm competitive in BJJ but just train the MMA and kickboxing to keep my striking sharp and get some variety. I have fought in boxing, 'american' style kickboxing (above the waist stuff) and Muay Thai.

However, I have just completely torn my UCL (elbow) and will most likely need surgery, so Its probably going to be alot of running for the next year or so :cry:

If you want a good workout overall using the heavy bag, Look up tabata intervel training. It is an awsome workout that is really quick, with huge results. It works great with a combination of heavy bag and calisthenic rounds, giving you cardio and strength training all in one.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Apr 16. 2013, 21:52

I had limited Martial Arts training in the past in wrestling (VERY little), taekwondo, and some MMA (very very little). I lifted some weights on and off.

Currently exercising 3x per week for about an hour each time, that consists of some walking, jogging and sprinting outside, occasional jump rope, and resistance training, using bodyweight and free weights, some machines too. I do upper/lower split, the goals being injury prevention, cardio, general health, and looking good.

mmayhem
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Apr 16. 2013, 22:11

I lift 4 times a week for about 5 months now. Usual 4 day split. Chest-triceps, back-biceps, shoulders-delts and legs. I want to start training BJJ soon, needing a job at this point. lol
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
UFC on FOX 6 Invitational Winner.

D-MMAN
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby D-MMAN » Apr 16. 2013, 22:35

MMAYHEM wrote:I lift 4 times a week for about 5 months now. Usual 4 day split. Chest-triceps, back-biceps, shoulders-delts and legs. I want to start training BJJ soon, needing a job at this point. lol

Yep training a few different disciplins is great. But it isn't cheap

bgosh
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby bgosh » Apr 16. 2013, 22:44

MMAYHEM wrote:I lift 4 times a week for about 5 months now. Usual 4 day split. Chest-triceps, back-biceps, shoulders-delts and legs. I want to start training BJJ soon, needing a job at this point. lol

I've been doing practically the exact same thing as this for the last few years only mix abs in throughout the week. Also, I do a fifth day where I just do whatever I want; usually a fun mix of high endurance stuff and running. At the end of most workouts I do 8-12 three minute rounds with the heavy bag, and usually like to pretend I'm in a grueling war like Gatti vs Ward, practice different combos or look like a complete idiot trying to imitate different boxers styles. I've just got back to this routine after a month off with a sprained ankle/exams so now its more like 6 rounds before the bag gets the TKO win. Then once a week I play recreational flag-football in summers and hockey in winters.

Like MMAYHEM I also can't afford to train anywhere yet, but I just graduated so as soon as I get a full-time job I'm going to start mma and Krav Maga at a nearby place. I did hack boxing lessons with my grandfather as a kid but other than that just self-taught some very rudiment bjj. It's amazing what you can learn by watching videos on the internet but obviously nothing like the real thing. Looking forward to start training for real very soon.

mmayhem
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Apr 16. 2013, 22:50

bgosh wrote:

I've been doing practically the exact same thing as this for the last few years only mix abs in throughout the week. Also, I do a fifth day where I just do whatever I want; usually a fun mix of high endurance stuff and running. At the end of most workouts I do 8-12 three minute rounds with the heavy bag, and usually like to pretend I'm in a grueling war like Gatti vs Ward, practice different combos or look like a complete idiot trying to imitate different boxers styles. I've just got back to this routine after a month off with a sprained ankle/exams so now its more like 6 rounds before the bag gets the TKO win. Then once a week I play recreational flag-football in summers and hockey in winters.

Like MMAYHEM I also can't afford to train anywhere yet, but I just graduated so as soon as I get a full-time job I'm going to start mma and Krav Maga at a nearby place. I did hack boxing lessons with my grandfather as a kid but other than that just self-taught some very rudiment bjj. It's amazing what you can learn by watching videos on the internet but obviously nothing like the real thing. Looking forward to start training for real very soon.

Yea I just graduated too, I start college in the fall so I'll have to settle for a part time. I do like cardio, sometimes I swim or just walk. I'v read intense cardio kills your gains #broscience
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner

bgosh
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby bgosh » Apr 16. 2013, 23:22

MMAYHEM wrote:Yea I just graduated too, I start college in the fall so I'll have to settle for a part time. I do like cardio, sometimes I swim or just walk. I'v read intense cardio kills your gains #broscience

Yea well if u are going to being doing intense cardio you definitely have to make sure you up your calorie intake if you want to still gain mass. When I first started working out I skipped a lot of cardio and went heavy on the protein powder and I had massive gains. I find that protein powder stuff just rots my digestive system and I'd rather have muscle that is lean and useful. You don't wanna be one of those body builder dudes that have no endurance, especially if you plan on doing any mma training.

MikeyMuayThai420
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby MikeyMuayThai420 » Apr 16. 2013, 23:31

I've been training for 2 years. I train MMA 6 days a week, 3 of those days I train twice a day. I have 6 unofficial Muay Thai fights and I'm making my MMA debut in July. I've posted my last 3 fights on here and I'll definitely be posting my next one :)

bgosh
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby bgosh » Apr 16. 2013, 23:33

MikeyMuayThai420 wrote:I've been training for 2 years. I train MMA 6 days a week, 3 of those days I train twice a day. I have 6 unofficial Muay Thai fights and I'm making my MMA debut in July. I've posted my last 3 fights on here and I'll definitely be posting my next one :)

That's awesome man. I'll have to check that out when u post it. Good luck, and kick some ass!

D-MMAN
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby D-MMAN » Apr 17. 2013, 01:46

MikeyMuayThai420 wrote:I've been training for 2 years. I train MMA 6 days a week, 3 of those days I train twice a day. I have 6 unofficial Muay Thai fights and I'm making my MMA debut in July. I've posted my last 3 fights on here and I'll definitely be posting my next one :)

Good luck man. Make sure you post videos

mmayhem
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Apr 17. 2013, 01:53

bgosh wrote:
MMAYHEM wrote:Yea I just graduated too, I start college in the fall so I'll have to settle for a part time. I do like cardio, sometimes I swim or just walk. I'v read intense cardio kills your gains #broscience

Yea well if u are going to being doing intense cardio you definitely have to make sure you up your calorie intake if you want to still gain mass. When I first started working out I skipped a lot of cardio and went heavy on the protein powder and I had massive gains. I find that protein powder stuff just rots my digestive system and I'd rather have muscle that is lean and useful. You don't wanna be one of those body builder dudes that have no endurance, especially if you plan on doing any mma training.

Protein power is just a boost, I don't really take it I get most of my protein from the food I eat. Lots of cottage cheese, sardines, oatmeal, chicken and eggs etc. Probably doing like 130 grams a day. I'm weighing 145 give or take a few. But I'm trying to lean out so it's just so I don't lose the muscle. I kind of went crazy on my bulk and now I'm at like 14% BF which is the fattest I'v felt in a long time haha
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”