Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Kettlebells?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
User avatar
muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 4468
Joined: Oct 25. 2009, 12:30

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby muga mushin » Nov 8. 2014, 10:56

Carlosthedwarf wrote:
muga mushin wrote:
Carlosthedwarf wrote:Well, had a great time with my new kettlebell. Feel worked all over and looking forward to improving with it!

Which one is it?


16Kg. Getting the hang of swings really. Attempted Turkish get-up, it's harder than I though it would be. A lot more work to do!

I meant which model. Matrix, RKC?

You might need to turn off AdBlock





User avatar
Carlosthedwarf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 2829
Joined: Nov 29. 2011, 14:48
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby Carlosthedwarf » Nov 9. 2014, 06:20

muga mushin wrote:I meant which model. Matrix, RKC?


Honestly no idea.
"If I exorcise my Devils... my angels may leave too" - Tom Waits

pjnichols72
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 14
Joined: Sep 24. 2013, 14:39

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby pjnichols72 » Nov 9. 2014, 09:44

KB's are a great training tool...but by no means are the end all be all that Dragondoor will tell you they are...I incorporate swings into my "active rest" on my heavy days.

User avatar
0hi0direct
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 1488
Joined: May 7. 2014, 22:29
Location: Ohio

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby 0hi0direct » Nov 9. 2014, 13:14

I've worked out since I was 12 years old. Never touched a kettlebell in my life.

I've been out of the gym and out of shape for a couple years now. I am returning to the gym and would like to incorporate kettlebell's into my workout. I am in no means a fat sloppy dude, but I'm not throwing the weight around that I' used to. Being a relative beginner at this point, any recommendations? If someone could point my in the direction of some solid newbie kettleball movements and regimens that would be great...
"The hardest person to lead, is always yourself."

Yes, I blatantly stole redrockretard's A/V inspiration. Thank you my friend!

User avatar
muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 4468
Joined: Oct 25. 2009, 12:30

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby muga mushin » Nov 9. 2014, 13:24

0hi0direct wrote:I've worked out since I was 12 years old. Never touched a kettlebell in my life.

I've been out of the gym and out of shape for a couple years now. I am returning to the gym and would like to incorporate kettlebell's into my workout. I am in no means a fat sloppy dude, but I'm not throwing the weight around that I' used to. Being a relative beginner at this point, any recommendations? If someone could point my in the direction of some solid newbie kettleball movements and regimens that would be great...

Pavel Tsatsouline - Simple & Sinister and Enter the Kettlebell.
Steve Maxwell videos.

phpBB [video]

User avatar
muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 4468
Joined: Oct 25. 2009, 12:30

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby muga mushin » Nov 25. 2014, 12:54

Carlosthedwarf wrote:Just bought my first and looking forward to swinging it around. 16kg arriving in the post tomorrow.

Anybody got any good recommendations for starter exercises and getting a feel for it?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-6-best-kettlebell-exercises-you-need-to-do.html


User avatar
GODHAND
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 6835
Joined: Mar 17. 2012, 00:59

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby GODHAND » Jan 18. 2015, 20:39

Becareful with heavier kettle bells -- even doing any simple exercises because the weight is more centralized and puts a lot of stress on your joints and wrists. I've injured my wrist doing some kettle bell workouts a few years ago. I thought about going back to them but I like dumbells the best for my type of training.

*** As long as you use two handed grip for exercises like those in those videos ... you will be okay! Stay light unless you plan on doing very few reps with kettle bells. I am very serious!!!! YOU DONT WANT A BROKE WRIST !
Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear. James 2:19

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans10:09

User avatar
muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 4468
Joined: Oct 25. 2009, 12:30

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby muga mushin » Jan 19. 2015, 06:01

phpBB [video]


phpBB [video]

User avatar
souker
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 51
Joined: Jun 29. 2010, 01:08

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby souker » Feb 19. 2015, 21:28

i've been using KB's for over 14 years, what know one really talks about is that KB's build you inside out, ligaments, tendons, then muscles.. thats why you should start slow, so you dont damage the inside, your muscles might be up to par but your internal parts not. KB's are awesome, and for MMA, martial arts perfect fit cause its a cardio explosive weight trainingn workout.

User avatar
Dendra
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 3326
Joined: Sep 14. 2011, 13:05
Location: Osijek, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby Dendra » Feb 20. 2015, 18:03

souker wrote:i've been using KB's for over 14 years, what know one really talks about is that KB's build you inside out, ligaments, tendons, then muscles.. thats why you should start slow, so you dont damage the inside, your muscles might be up to par but your internal parts not. KB's are awesome, and for MMA, martial arts perfect fit cause its a cardio explosive weight trainingn workout.

This, tendons in my arms were killin me in the beginning, luckily I was building muscle mass at the same time but I can definitely see somebody with muscles up to par but with tight tendons going too fast.

The "issue" with the kettlebells is that you look at a 16kg one and think, shit, I can bench 80kg or whatever and now you want me to "lift" only 16kg? So people are turned off by that at first, and might be even scared to realize 16kg workout can destroy them - like jeez, I'm such a wuss, exhausted from lifting 16kg.

In reality you can do insane workouts with 16kg and depending on your intents and purposes you don't even have to go higher - though the great thing about kettlebells is that you'll progress super fast, like in a matter of month or two you can go from 12kgs to 16kgs. And if you get to 24kg++ you are a bad mofo.

In any case, I've worked out in a traditional gym with olympic weights n such, the usual machinery, and while it has its merits, I'd honestly say kettlebells are far superior for sports because you build a strong, efficient body with no weak links - as opposed to isolated exercises. Obviously you can and should do both (i.e. dead lift and such has great benefits), but at least in my training regiment for athletes (runners, swimmers, basketball&football players, etc.) we implement kettlebells way more than any other weights.
Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.

User avatar
bigtahoe
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Posts: 1561
Joined: Apr 29. 2007, 23:05

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby bigtahoe » Feb 22. 2015, 11:20

Dendra wrote:
souker wrote:i've been using KB's for over 14 years, what know one really talks about is that KB's build you inside out, ligaments, tendons, then muscles.. thats why you should start slow, so you dont damage the inside, your muscles might be up to par but your internal parts not. KB's are awesome, and for MMA, martial arts perfect fit cause its a cardio explosive weight trainingn workout.

This, tendons in my arms were killin me in the beginning, luckily I was building muscle mass at the same time but I can definitely see somebody with muscles up to par but with tight tendons going too fast.

The "issue" with the kettlebells is that you look at a 16kg one and think, shit, I can bench 80kg or whatever and now you want me to "lift" only 16kg? So people are turned off by that at first, and might be even scared to realize 16kg workout can destroy them - like jeez, I'm such a wuss, exhausted from lifting 16kg.

In reality you can do insane workouts with 16kg and depending on your intents and purposes you don't even have to go higher - though the great thing about kettlebells is that you'll progress super fast, like in a matter of month or two you can go from 12kgs to 16kgs. And if you get to 24kg++ you are a bad mofo.

In any case, I've worked out in a traditional gym with olympic weights n such, the usual machinery, and while it has its merits, I'd honestly say kettlebells are far superior for sports because you build a strong, efficient body with no weak links - as opposed to isolated exercises. Obviously you can and should do both (i.e. dead lift and such has great benefits), but at least in my training regiment for athletes (runners, swimmers, basketball&football players, etc.) we implement kettlebells way more than any other weights.



Excellent point, and after watching videos of Cain swinging a 200lb kettle bell it's no wonder he needed shoulder surgery last year. It goes back to working out intelligently, taking your time in stepping up in weight and repetitions. I love kettle bells but never go heavier than 70 lb bells for reps, and I always use them to supplement other lifts that I'm doing at the gym. To me, the greatest use for Kettle Bells are for building massively strong core muscles.

User avatar
muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 4468
Joined: Oct 25. 2009, 12:30

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby muga mushin » Apr 27. 2015, 08:42

phpBB [video]

rvafighter
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
Posts: 10
Joined: Sep 9. 2008, 16:37

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby rvafighter » Jul 13. 2015, 11:35

Technique is very important with KBs

Which is why CF loves them so much, another thing they can make you do while fatigued to get you to the hospital sooner

But in all seriousness when used properly they are great for core strength and will help with your more traditional lifts, and can be used to improve cardio as well.


Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”