Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Kettlebells?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby Kragge » Dec 28. 2013, 12:07

Juupa wrote:It's pure insanity to go from "I need to work on my stability/core" to "standing on an exercise ball is probably a good way to address my issues". I understand the need to do core work and I understand the need to address stability issues. Neither of those justify standing on an exercise ball. In fact, if you're standing on a ball you're probably unable to address anything too specific.

I'd say it's a bit harsh to go from not having the same opinion to the other opinion as being insanity.

However, you're perfectly correct about addressing specific muscles. If you for example wants to improve your double leg td explosivity you should probably do squats with heavy weights on your shoulders and those kind of kettle bell swings Velaquez demonstrated in an above posted video.

However, a chain is never stronger than it's weakest link and if you neglect any joint in your exercize and that specific joint is being challenged in a motion, that will probably cause to fail the attempt.

You might need to turn off AdBlock

Juupa
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Juupa » Dec 28. 2013, 14:30

I'm sorry but, man, you're standing on an exercise ball while swinging a kettlebell around. I'm surprised you're not whistling the national anthem just to make the whole thing more taxing to your nervous system.
This is the sort of thing that exercise blogs/articles joke about constantly, I didn't think some people actually do exercises like these.

In all seriousness, if I was a personal trainer there are very good reasons why I wouldn't use an exercise like that on anybody.
For one, it's risky. Completely unnecessary risk of falling on your ass and breaking something. That's increased risk without any apparent rewards to justify it. Now that's a weak link.
Secondly, as said, I can't address any specific issues with an exercise like this. Someone has lower body stability issues? Putting people on an extremely unstable surface will make them freak out and resort to their strongest motor pattern which, in the context of fixing stability issues, is probably a faulty motor pattern that we're trying to get rid of.

You're free to do it and you're free to believe it's the best thing since Total Gym. But I ask you not to recommend something like that to beginners. In my view this exercise offers no benefits that you couldn't get through safer and more efficient means.

Labeouf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Labeouf » May 3. 2014, 20:24

Labeouf wrote:
phpBB [video]

steve maxwell got diego in the best shape of his life and diego never looked the same after he stopped training with maxwell
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it’s because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Labeouf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Labeouf » May 3. 2014, 20:24

anyone know kettle bell dvds for beginners? thnx
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it’s because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby muga mushin » May 9. 2014, 09:43

Labeouf wrote:anyone know kettle bell dvds for beginners? thnx

Enter The Kettlebell - Pavel Tsatsouline.

Carlosthedwarf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Carlosthedwarf » Nov 6. 2014, 12:07

Just bought my first and looking forward to swinging it around. 16kg arriving in the post tomorrow.

Anybody got any good recommendations for starter exercises and getting a feel for it?
"If I exorcise my Devils... my angels may leave too" - Tom Waits

muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby muga mushin » Nov 6. 2014, 15:10

Carlosthedwarf wrote:Just bought my first and looking forward to swinging it around. 16kg arriving in the post tomorrow.

Anybody got any good recommendations for starter exercises and getting a feel for it?

Good mornings, cleans, snatches, swings, judo swings.

Watch instructional videos. Escpecially for swings. Rotate it around you for warm up and to get a feeling for it.

Carlosthedwarf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Carlosthedwarf » Nov 6. 2014, 15:15

muga mushin wrote:
Carlosthedwarf wrote:Just bought my first and looking forward to swinging it around. 16kg arriving in the post tomorrow.

Watch instructional videos. Escpecially for swings. Rotate it around you for warm up and to get a feeling for it.

Thanks buddy. I've been on the men's health website and they have some good instructions. Wish me luck.

muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby muga mushin » Nov 6. 2014, 15:17

Carlosthedwarf wrote:
muga mushin wrote:

Thanks buddy. I've been on the men's health website and they have some good instructions. Wish me luck.

Pavel Tsatsouline and Steve Maxwell are very good.

Carlosthedwarf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Carlosthedwarf » Nov 6. 2014, 17:53

muga mushin wrote:Pavel Tsatsouline and Steve Maxwell are very good.

Enter the kettlebell, yas. :like

Carlosthedwarf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Carlosthedwarf » Nov 7. 2014, 16:24

Well, had a great time with my new kettlebell. Feel worked all over and looking forward to improving with it!

muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby muga mushin » Nov 7. 2014, 16:27

Carlosthedwarf wrote:Well, had a great time with my new kettlebell. Feel worked all over and looking forward to improving with it!

Which one is it?

Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Kragge » Nov 7. 2014, 16:39

*Weird, i am sure I wrote the following post addressed to a post that someone made about fear for injuries using kettle bells. Now it seems like I just replied to a question that was never asked.

I can understand your worries. I'd say, though, in the long run that training with kettle bells are quite good to prevent injuries.

First of all, start with low weights, so you get used to the motions before adding weight you can't control. Next, there are some advantages with the bells.

First of all, most drills involve a hold of the bell similar to the one Sanchez uses, where the arm is raised and the bell hangs on the back side of the arm. Of course there is a potential for injuries if you'd lose control of the weight in that position. At the other hand, imagine how much you'll rain the stabilizing muscles around shoulders, elbows and wrists by holding that grip.

Secondly, many exercises involve a swinging motion of the bell where it goes from one side of your fore arm to the other. Same logic goes there. For sure there is a certain amount of risk for injuries if you swing heavier weights than you can control, but at the other hand, it is the controlled motion that is the point of the kettle bell training.

If you want to start of with easier weights you can actually focus on controlling the bell in its swing and not let it go around your hand to hang from the other side of your forearm. I often try to stop the bell halfway through the air and keep it standing up. you can see me do it in a video I posted in this thread a while back with quite a small bell. However, after doing that with smaller weights, it gets quite easy to do it with heavier ones. (Never mid the ball I use in that video, just focus on the grip) Right now I can without much problem stopping at least 16kg bells raised right in the middle of their swing. This alson helps you to work on stabilizing muscles aroung shoulders and wrists, helping you to avoid injuries rather that achieving them.

Carlosthedwarf
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Carlosthedwarf » Nov 7. 2014, 17:05

muga mushin wrote:
Carlosthedwarf wrote:Well, had a great time with my new kettlebell. Feel worked all over and looking forward to improving with it!

Which one is it?

16Kg. Getting the hang of swings really. Attempted Turkish get-up, it's harder than I though it would be. A lot more work to do!

kragge wrote:*Weird, i am sure I wrote the following post addressed to a post that someone made about fear for injuries using kettle bells. Now it seems like I just replied to a question that was never asked.

I can understand your worries. I'd say, though, in the long run that training with kettle bells are quite good to prevent injuries.

First of all, start with low weights, so you get used to the motions before adding weight you can't control. Next, there are some advantages with the bells.

First of all, most drills involve a hold of the bell similar to the one Sanchez uses, where the arm is raised and the bell hangs on the back side of the arm. Of course there is a potential for injuries if you'd lose control of the weight in that position. At the other hand, imagine how much you'll rain the stabilizing muscles around shoulders, elbows and wrists by holding that grip.

Secondly, many exercises involve a swinging motion of the bell where it goes from one side of your fore arm to the other. Same logic goes there. For sure there is a certain amount of risk for injuries if you swing heavier weights than you can control, but at the other hand, it is the controlled motion that is the point of the kettle bell training.

If you want to start of with easier weights you can actually focus on controlling the bell in its swing and not let it go around your hand to hang from the other side of your forearm. I often try to stop the bell halfway through the air and keep it standing up. you can see me do it in a video I posted in this thread a while back with quite a small bell. However, after doing that with smaller weights, it gets quite easy to do it with heavier ones. (Never mid the ball I use in that video, just focus on the grip) Right now I can without much problem stopping at least 16kg bells raised right in the middle of their swing. This alson helps you to work on stabilizing muscles aroung shoulders and wrists, helping you to avoid injuries rather that achieving them.

Thanks for info anyway!

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”