Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Kettlebells?

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
benkay
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby benkay » Oct 3. 2012, 02:59

Kettlebells are an excellent workout. I used to do them in my MMA training on strength and conditioning days. Great workout because it has a lot to do with balance. Use em.

You might need to turn off AdBlock

yovenichi
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby yovenichi » Oct 13. 2013, 02:45

i use them trust me if you get a 30 pound kettlebell and just do swings for like 10 mins you feel like if you just ran a couple of miles (winded) really good to do presses too

cain fukin swingin a 203 is fuking insane

Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Kragge » Nov 1. 2013, 09:59

beprot wrote:i use them trust me if you get a 30 pound kettlebell and just do swings for like 10 mins you feel like if you just ran a couple of miles (winded) really good to do presses too

cain fukin swingin a 203 is fuking insane

Yes, he sshows ghreat strength in that.

I would stronglly advice anyoe from using weights that are so heavy that you can't do that swinging movement without "losing" the lower part of your back as he does. I know I would get huge problems with my back if I cheated like that with the technique, especially considering the weight.

Dis E_pline
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Dis E_pline » Nov 1. 2013, 10:07

i swing with a 33.05 lbs these days with fast reps for cardio (one arm at a time), and a 100 Lbs for power with single reps (1x20), i can't imagine doing doing a 1x25 with a 203lbs right now like Cain :x

Juupa
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Juupa » Nov 1. 2013, 12:42

I always wondered about the shoddy form that Velasquez has in that video. I thought that maybe a 203lbs KB just doesn't lend itself that well to swinging. However...

phpBB [video]

And he actually makes them look like swings.

Which just makes me wonder what the hell that coach was doing to earn his pay.

bigtahoe
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby bigtahoe » Nov 22. 2013, 23:14

DrizzyDrake wrote:Who else uses these motherfuckers?

I use them consistently and see excellent results.

Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Kragge » Dec 14. 2013, 08:38

This is a drill I have found strengthened my core and muscles around lower joints a lot.

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYz7xQ6w ... e=youtu.be

Overall the drill is quite challenging even without the wirght. That details extends the challenge with a bit of weight tilting to the one side where you're holding the weight though.
Last edited by Kragge on Dec 27. 2013, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

marcuz09
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby marcuz09 » Dec 27. 2013, 01:59

I just picked up a kettle bell and so far I like it. Its kicking my ass lol. A lot of the workouts look like they require two bells though. Should I purchase another one or are there one handed variations of said workouts? Also if you know of any good routines to build mass that require only one kettle bell id love to see em!

Juupa
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Juupa » Dec 27. 2013, 10:04

marcuz09 wrote:I just picked up a kettle bell and so far I like it. Its kicking my ass lol. A lot of the workouts look like they require two bells though. Should I purchase another one or are there one handed variations of said workouts? Also if you know of any good routines to build mass that require only one kettle bell id love to see em!

Can't you just do the workouts with one kettlebell? Also, link to these workouts would be appreciated.

marcuz09
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby marcuz09 » Dec 27. 2013, 18:17

Let me rephrase my question. Most of the videos I've seen show using two kettle bells rather than 1 at a time. Is there a benefit to doing both at the same time rather than 1? Would I get a better workout doing a say a double overhead press rather than an overhead press doing on arm at a time?

Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Kragge » Dec 27. 2013, 18:38

I'd say the major benefit from using one kettlebell is the lost horisontal balance that challenge your core musculature.

If you look at the video I posted above you can probably see it's not one of the heavier kettle bells you'll find at the gym I'm using. The main purpose of having a kettle bell at all in that drill is the loss of balance right-left it is creating.

Juupa
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Juupa » Dec 28. 2013, 10:02

marcuz09 wrote:Let me rephrase my question. Most of the videos I've seen show using two kettle bells rather than 1 at a time. Is there a benefit to doing both at the same time rather than 1? Would I get a better workout doing a say a double overhead press rather than an overhead press doing on arm at a time?

There can be some benefits. For example, if you do clean and press with one kettlebell the clean-phase is very easy compared to the press. Using two kettlebells evens things out. Also, as a whole two bells will tax you more than one will. On the other hand, like said, having the weight on one side changes the balance of the exercise a bit.
Are two kettlebells essential? Not really. Go for it. Worry about multiple kettlebells once you've mastered all the kb movements with a single one.

Besides, one extra kettlebell won't change much, your training is still pretty limited with the kbs. Turning a gym with one dumbbell into a gym with two dumbbells doesn't save it from being a bad gym.

Kragge wrote:
phpBB [video]

Overall the drill is quite challenging even without the weight. That details extends the challenge with a bit of weight tilting to the one side where you're holding the weight though.

That's just silly. Who on Earth talked you into doing something like that? Is the circus in town?

Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Kragge » Dec 28. 2013, 10:39

Juupa wrote:
Kragge wrote:
phpBB [video]

Overall the drill is quite challenging even without the weight. That details extends the challenge with a bit of weight tilting to the one side where you're holding the weight though.

That's just silly. Who on Earth talked you into doing something like that? Is the circus in town?

A few years ago I lifted a lot more weights in traditional patterns, classical barbel lifts with spread hands and spread feet for better balance. That was great for the ability to lift much and build strong muscles for the specific motions i was exercizing. In three years I gained twenty kilograms of muscles. At the same time, I "learned" to cheat my core musculature which is quite easy with that kind of training. If you always lift heavy weights with good balance you tend to avoid learning how to find your core muscultature which for me created repetitive back- and neck aches. Since I started the "circus drills" I have been blessed from those kind of problems and I strongly praise the benefit of adding some more chllenging movements to everyones training to avoid injuries.

Juupa
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Juupa » Dec 28. 2013, 11:26

It's pure insanity to go from "I need to work on my stability/core" to "standing on an exercise ball is probably a good way to address my issues". I understand the need to do core work and I understand the need to address stability issues. Neither of those justify standing on an exercise ball. In fact, if you're standing on a ball you're probably unable to address anything too specific.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”