Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

All you need to know about nutrition.

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

All you need to know about nutrition.

Postby kusok » Aug 13. 2010, 11:42

What you should know about the 3 macros:

Protein -
Essential macro. Your muscles need protein, your hair and nails are made from it as well pretty much. Most sating (satisfying) macro. This means that eating 100 calories from protein will satisfy you more than eating 100 calories from fat or carbs. Protein is a poor source of energy thou. Protein intake for athletes or just people who exercise and wish to look good and be fit is minimum 1g/lb (1 gram for 1 lbs of your bodyweight) and at most 1.5g/lb. Eating less protein than that will compromise your lean muscle mass, and eating more than that will not have anymore benefits (with rare exceptions). High protein foods are animal products (eggs, meat, fish, chicken, dairy etc)

Carbs (carbohydrates) -
Not an essential macro (meaning you will not die even if you eat ZERO carbs). Carbs are the best source of energy. Optimum carb intake varies dramatically depending on individual needs. Endurance athletes need a LOT of carbs, up to 2g/lb or even more if "loading" the night before an endurance competition. Normal intake is about 1-1.5g/lb. Some people are sensitive to carbs (getting sleepy after a high carb meal, energy crashes, bloating, feeling sick after eating carbs) and thus would need to lower their carb intake as needed. In extreme cases a Keto diet may be needed (a VERY low carb diet). People on low carb diets should "carb up" once a week where they eat more carbs that day to replenish their bodies. Or surround their workouts with carbs, especially if they feel that they run out of fuel during exercise. High carb foods are breads, cereals, fruits, potatoes etc.

Fat -
Essential macro. Fat balances hormones and is responsible for many functions in your body. Daily fat intake should be between 0.4-0.5g/lb. Of course people sensitive to carbs will have to eat more fat than that. Fat is a decent energy source. It is recommended that you focus on "good" (unsaturated) fats like olive oil, avocado, salmon etc, but fat from meats or milk is needed too, it's responsible for your testosterone production... You DO want that. Trans fat should be avoided, but nothing terrible will happen to you if you eat a small amount of trans fat.

FAQ

Q. What is a calorie?
A. A calorie is a unit of energy found in your foods and in your body. Following Law of Thermodynamics it's easy to see that if you eat more calories (food) than you burn (use) per day, you will gain weight. And if you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight.

Q. Do I have to eat my veggies?
A. Yes. Eat LOTS of leafy greens. They carry large amounts of vitamins, fiber and minerals, with only a few calories. You're compromising your results in the gym and daily life if you don't eat them!

Q. Do I have to drink lots of water?
A. Yes! Drink Green Tea as well. Helps burn fat, and is healthful.

Q. Are low carb diets good?
A. It depends. Some people feel great on lots of carbs, some need lots of carbs for their sports (best energy source). Some however feel sleepy after carbs, have poor insulin sensitivity, get bloated or hungry after eating carbs, and thus do better on more fat in their diet and less carbs. Carbs should be set based on individual preference and tolerance to carbs. In either case go for a higher protein diet! And remember, quality of carbs is important. Some processed cereal is not as good as whole food fruit or veggie. One thing worth keeping in mind is that on a low carb diet you're very likely to be short on fiber. That in turn can make your bad cholesterol too high and cause other things like fat gain, tiredness, and poor glucose metabolism. So it's recommended to supplement your low carb diet with a fiber supplement. Amazingly doctors who read your blood test results and see bad cholesterol and/or poor glucose metabolism (aka poor insulin sensitivity, poor reaction to carbs) will advice you to stop eating red meat and eggs etc. which are both false advice, but they never mention fiber thou this is common knowledge.

Q. How much fiber (or fibre) should I be eating?
A. 10-15g fiber/1000 kcal is a good general rule.

Q. Are juices good?
A. Juices are ok, but they are not nearly as good as real fruit, because the fiber is missing :(

Q. Why do I keep hearing about how fresh squeezed juices are the best?
A. Because juice makers need to sell their bulky over-priced useless products.

Q. I heard that I must eat every 2-4 hours to keep my metabolism active. Is this true?
A. No. Meal frequency and meal timing are over-rated. (with few exceptions, for example: if you have another session later that same day then yes meal timing becomes important as you better eat something after your 1st work-out in order to replenish for the next training or event) Read this and memorize it, this is from the most respected nutritionist to entire NBA and NHL teams as well as Olympic athletes:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123915821

Q. I heard that red meat is bad for you. Is it true?
A. No. If you will sit on your ass all day long, over-eat, and pig out on gyros then just about EVERYTHING is bad for you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with UNprocessed meat in moderation. And for athletes meat can be beneficial. If concerned and got the extra money, get grass fed beef. Eating processed meat (deli meats, burgers that you didn't make yourself from ground beef, beef jerky etc) occasionally will not kill you, but the less you do it, the better. Eat the real stuff!

Q. I heard that tuna has mercury in it. Should I not eat tuna?
A. Canned chunk light tuna in water has very little mercury in it. It is the solid white albacore that has some mercury in it. Wild caught tuna is also fine (but expensive). Countless athletes eat insane amounts of tuna and their blood work does not show dangerous levels of mercury. Use this to get an idea of how much to eat:
http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator

Q. I hear milk is bad. Should I avoid it?
A. No. Unless you have lactose intolerance (gas, bloating, stomach pains after drinking milk, acne, dermatitis etc) there is no reason to cut out milk.
People who are against milk usually eat plenty of meat (milk laid foundation for that meat) and drink lots of whey (which is a refined processed milk product)... Think about that one for a minute... :)

Q. I heard that pasteurization of milk denatures proteins. Should I be worried?
A. No. Your body also denatures proteins... Don't worry about it. If really concerned go ahead and get raw milk AT YOUR OWN RISK! There may be decease in it. I don't recommend this. I drank raw milk, it's awesome, but it's better to play it safe!

Q. I heard eating eggs is bad because of high cholesterol eggs have.
A. Cholesterol in food has no effect on YOUR bad cholesterol. There are many many people who eat up to a dozen eggs per day for decades and are perfectly healthy. High bad cholesterol is caused by being fat, genetics, age, sex etc, not by eggs or any other foods, assuming you have a healthful diet that isn't lacking in some nutrients.

Q. Is it better to eat organic food?
A. Organic foods are not magic. Read:
http://www.maxcondition.com/page.php?148
But, as one very respected expert put it: "since we don't know fully the long term effects of GMOs and pesticides etc., I generally prefer organic." So, if you have the extra money (organic will often cost more) and like the taste go for it! Just don't expect any magic results. I myself lean towards organic as well when it's not too cost restrictive.

Q. Should I avoid fruit due to high fructose (sugar) content in it?
A. No. Unless you let fruit dominate your diet you're ok. Most fruit has fructose and glucose, thus replenishing your liver and muscle glycogen. Don't be afraid of fructose. It is your daily/weekly total caloric intake that will determine weight gain, maintenance, or loss. Fruit is unique and extremely good for you.

Q. What's a good multi-vitamin?
A. Ortho Core is considered best these days. But NOW Adam, Animal Pak, and Orange Triad are all reputable, high-selling, and popular brands among athletes and bodybuilders. Many pro athletes and bodybuilders buy Animal Pak with their own money thou they are offered vitamins for FREE from other companies who sponsor them. I imagine this is because Animal Pack is strong (too strong for some), has stimulants and gives extra energy in gym. There are other good brands out there. Try them and see what you like most and what is best for your lifestyle and goals. Generally speaking high quality vitamins so-called "whole food based supplements" are better than plain vitamins like Centrum. Vitamins are NOT a replacement for good diet. You MUST try to eat as many whole foods as possible and get your vitamins and minerals that way, thru real food. You can simply use a vitamin supplement as an insurance, to prevent possible deficiencies in your diet or body. Do not go crazy and take too many vitamins, aside from cost, it can actually hurt you.

Q. What are the supplements I should take?
A. If you don't eat fatty fish a few times per week you should take fish oil. The research is overwhelming, in parts of the world where people eat marine fats, they live longer and have less disease.
A good quality multi-vitamin is generally recommended,
some kind of a bone building mineral (calcium, magnesium etc unless your vitamin already has a good amount in it),
creatine monohydrate is good if you're an athlete,
and natural whey protein for convenience to make it easy for you to eat a high-protein diet. Pretty much all other supplements are a waste of your money.
Food is better than supplements. Supplements are not a fix for a poor diet. Supplements only SUPPLEMENT your diet. Make sure you eat healthfully.

Q. Kusok, I refuse to count calories or to have a pre-set diet that I follow every day! Give me a way to track how much I eat without writing anything down or entering it in my i-phone nutrition application!
A. Easy! Let's say you're a somewhat active and relatively fit 200lbs guy. To meet your nutritional optimum requirements you will need about 3000 calories per day with about 250 grams of protein. So eat 6 meals per day (Breakfast, lunch, dinner,supper, and pre and post work-out snacks), each meal will have 500 calories and 40 grams of protein. This makes it easy to keep track in your head of how much you eat. Power lifters, bodybuilders and models do this often.
Or let's say you wish to gain some weight and thus will aim to eat 3500 calories per day, then simply eat an extra 100 calories at your first 5 meals.
Or let' say you wish to lose fat, and will thus aim to eat 2500 calories. Simply eat 5 meals per day, 500 calories per meal and 50 grams protein at each. once protein requirement is met fill the rest of the calories with fat or carb as you wish (just don't avoid fat or carbs, they are both good for you)
With some elementary research you will be able to know how many calories and how much protein is in each food item you eat without having to look it up on the internet.

Here is a list for you of the most common things you probably (and should) eat daily with approximate calories and protein in each:

- Small single chicken breast = 125 calories, 25 grams protein
- Big double full chicken breast = 250 calories, 50 grams protein
- egg = 70 calories, 6 grams protein
- egg white = 20 calories, 4 grams protein
- small avocado = 150 calories, 5 grams protein
- medium avocado = 200 calories
- huge avocado = 300 calories
- any leafy green veggies = extremely low calories, not worth counting

Thing like steak are trickier, Look at your palm, this is what 3 oz of steak (or most other food like fish) looks like size-wise. A lean steak that size will have 150 calories and 25 grams protein. Most steaks are a lot bigger of course.

- Sushi = one piece (small piece of fish on top of some rice) or piece of roll (not the entire roll :D) 50 calories, 5 grams protein
- orange = 75 calories, 1 gram protein
- banana = 100 calories, 1 gram protein
- small bowl of rice = 200 calories, only a few grams protein
- sweet potato (or yam) = 175 calories, very little protein
etc.

Such knowledge would make it easy for you to have an idea of how much you eat without having to write it down or freak people out by counting your calories, which really annoys people around you.

Hope this was helpful. Ask questions, or make comments. Next and last section will be on exercising. Peace!
Thanks to discoowl for additional info to help make the sticky better.

You might need to turn off AdBlock

Last edited by kusok on Apr 25. 2016, 11:43, edited 10 times in total.

PrideFCfan
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: All you need to know about nutrition.

Postby PrideFCfan » Aug 13. 2010, 12:42

Thanks for dropping some knowledge. I don't eat that much veggies besides carrots and broccoli's. I do usually make eggs for breakfasts and Ialso chicken breasts most of the time but thing is I always eat food my mother makes me and she pretty much makes food that my culture usually eats so I tend to think that what she makes is healthy for me. I also do like to eat oranges, apples, grapes and bananas cause I like to eat a lot more fruits then veggies.
"At the end of the day, I don’t give a crap who’s taking what. The steroids are not going to help them when I hit them. Take as much as you like, I don’t care." - Mark Hunt

oberfussmeister
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby oberfussmeister » Aug 13. 2010, 15:14

actually, a new study found out that red meat actually may be bad, its one of the main things (if not the most aggressive) that provoke cancer. fish >>>> meat (too bad these fuckers are expensive over here)

new studies from Denmark have shown that the vitamin supplementation often has really bad side effects, such as increasing the risk of cancer. fruits, vegetables >>>>>>>>> supplements.

do you have any sources on the cholesterol thing? all i know is that cholesterol actually influences your body, the LDL and the HDL intake. is this some kind of tale that everyone believes, like people think matryoshki are called babushki?

i have a question: do you know if the tea you can buy in supermarkets in usual bags has any quality?

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Aug 13. 2010, 16:15

oberfussmeister wrote:actually, a new study found out that red meat actually may be bad, its one of the main things (if not the most aggressive) that provoke cancer. fish >>>> meat (too bad these fuckers are expensive over here)

new studies from Denmark have shown that the vitamin supplementation often has really bad side effects, such as increasing the risk of cancer. fruits, vegetables >>>>>>>>> supplements.

do you have any sources on the cholesterol thing? all i know is that cholesterol actually influences your body, the LDL and the HDL intake. is this some kind of tale that everyone believes, like people think matryoshki are called babushki?

i have a question: do you know if the tea you can buy in supermarkets in usual bags has any quality?

Thanks for your notes and questions.

Don't worry about those "studies". They test inactive average people with high bodyfat % (pretty much ANYTHING will give them cancer, because all they do is sit on their ass and eat poorly)
Athletes benefit from red meat. Very anabolic food, contains creatine, lots of protein. Try lifting weights after you eat beef, it feels awesome.
But yes, fish is great!

Some thing with studies regarding vitamins. They don't test athletes. Athletes have completely different nutritional requirements from average people. Do average people need as much protein as fighters or power lifters? Of course not. Do average people need Animal Pak? Of course not! But if you're going to attempt a state bench press record tomorrow night, or have joint pain from 2 hour daily powerlifting work-outs, you better take your multi!
Food is definitely better, but multi is a great way to make sure you're not lacking in any one vitamin or mineral, and of course you should not take too many vitamins, that's all.

Yes, the cholesterol myth is old and retarded. Some literature:
http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

Here is the Gold Standard of Sports Nutrition, this website is #1 reference tool for the knowledgeable people. Lyle's reputation among bodybuilders, athletes and dietitians is second to none. It's the guy who wrote what they call the Ketogenic (low carb) Diet Bible:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-nutrition-part-2.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-fats-part-1.html

This is a quote from the ending of this awesome article:
"for most people the intake of dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood cholesterol on the first place."

You should trust that man, he is the best.

There is no doubt that real tea that you make yourself is best. But if time and convenience is an issue, tea bags, especially sealed ones are ok. Better than nothing.

A-ROCC
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby A-ROCC » Aug 13. 2010, 16:48

i hate veggies. im 16 and ive never ate a meal of any veggies. a little in my subway but that doesnt count.

PrideFCfan
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby PrideFCfan » Aug 13. 2010, 17:53

Hey Kusok, you should read about Bruce Lee's diet on nutrition's, its pretty amazing.

Bruce Lee Diet Rule 1: Avoid Refined Flour

Generally Bruce Lee avoided refined flour. So, he did not eat many baked foods such as biscuits and cakes, which he described as being “empty calories“. It is worth mentioning that today many people attribute irritable bowel syndrome to the excess consumption of refined flours. His philosophy was not to consume calories that did not provide some benefit to the body.

Bruce Lee Diet Rule 2: Chinese Food

Bruce Lee enjoyed Chinese food, as he felt that western food was often too bland. Some of his favourite Chinese dishes were beef in oyster sauce and tofu. However, he loved to eat steak and liver too, but overall preferred the more balanced approach of Asian dishes. He felt that often Western food placed too much emphasis on protein and fat and not enough on carbohydrates from vegetables, rice, pasta etc.
Bruce Lee Diet Rule 3: Avoid Dairy Food

Bruce Lee did not like dairy food, and only ate dairy as part of protein drinks, usually using powdered milk instead of fresh milk.
Bruce Lee Diet Rule 4: Smaller Portions and More Meals

For Bruce Lee concentration on the type of foods eaten were not the only important consideration, the size of portions and number of meals were just as important. Bruce Lee would usually consume four or five smaller meals a day rather than a couple of large meals, plus some healthy snacks such as fruits. Today body builders often follow similar eating habits, eating high protein meals approximately every four hours to ensure the body has a good supply of proteins to help build and repair muscle tissue. Eating more often than every four hours can put too much pressure on the digestive system, leading to indigestion. This is another reason why constant snacking is not good for you.
Bruce Lee Diet Rule 5: Drink Protein Drinks

Bruce Lee consumed one or two protein drinks every day, plus fruit smoothies too. Although his protein drinks varied, they generally consisted of:

* Non-instant powdered milk - which is reported to have a higher concentration of calcium than other forms of powdered milk
* Eggs - sometimes with the shells
* Wheat germ / wheat germ oil
* Peanut butter
* Banana
* Brewers yeast (contains concentrated B vitamins, which are essential in the release of energy from carbohydrates).
* Inositol supplement (Inositol is found in many foods, particularly in cereals with high bran content. Inositol plays an important part in the health of cell membrane, in particular the specialized cells in the brain, bone marrow, eyes and intestines. The function of the cell membrane is to regulate the contents of the cell, which makes effective functioning of the cell possible).
* Lecithin - taken in granular form. (Lecithin is a mixture of glycolipids, triglycerides, and phospholipids. It is needed by every cell in the body and is a key building block of cell membranes; without it, they would harden. Lecithin protects cells from oxidation).

All ingredients would be mixed thoroughly in a food blender. Bruce Lee suggested that for better results (i.e. for gaining more muscle mass quicker) milk and cream can be added too.

Please bear in mind that the supplements Bruce Lee took were popular when he was researching bodybuilding during the 1960′s and early 1970′s, these supplements may now be superseded by new ones producing better results. Also bear in mind that all supplements may have side effects if taken to excess. It is best to check with your doctor/GP before starting a bodybuilding diet.
Bruce Lee Diet Rule 6: Take Dietary Supplements

Bruce Lee also took many mineral and vitamin supplements. Today there is a much greater variety of supplements on offer than there were when Bruce Lee was training. Knowledge about how different supplements interact and benefit us has advanced a great deal since the 1960′s, as a result there may be better and more efficient supplements available than the ones listed below. However, here are some of the supplements Bruce Lee is known to have taken:

* Vitamin C
* Lecithing granules
* Bee Pollen
* Vitamin E
* Rose hips (liquid form)
* Wheat germ oil
* Natural protein tablets (chocolate flavour)
* Acerola – C
* B-Folia

Bruce Lee Diet Rule 7: Increase Carbohydrates by Juicing and Blending

Bruce Lee knew that carbohydrates are essential for people with very high activity levels. It was for this that he regularly consumed fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies. Fruit and vegetables provide the richest source of carbohydrates, so Bruce Lee would often make juices/smoothies comprising of carrots, celery, apples, bananas and some parsley.

Usually carrots would make up one half of the contents of the drink, the remaining being split between the other fruits and vegetables. He also sometimes used green leafy vegetables, again with a large proportion of carrot juice to help offset the bitterness of the green leafy vegetables.

Juicing fresh fruit and vegetables is a great way to consume high quality carbohydrates. Juicing allows the body to assimilate many nutrients more easily. The enzymes in the juiced vegetables are also organic catalysts that increase the rate at which food is broken down and absorbed. Many enzymes are destroyed when vegetables are cooked, especially if boiled, therefore consuming raw fruit and vegetables is best. Some nutritionists suggest that for better health and more energy, approximately half of the carbohydrates consumed should come from raw fruit and vegetables.
Bruce Lee Diet Rule 8: Eat Honey and Ginseng

Bruce Lee often drank a Royal jelly and ginseng drink to give him a quick boost. These drinks are very small, and provide a very quick release of energy. Royal jelly contains B-complex vitamins, including a high concentration of vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), acetylcholine, hormones, and eighteen amino acids. It also contains trace of many minerals, trace amounts of vitamin C, some enzymes, as well as antibacterial and antibiotic components. Contrary to claims by many of those promoting its use, vitamins A, D, and E are completely absent from royal jelly.

According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Ginseng promotes Yang energy, improves circulation, increases blood supply, revitalizes and aids recovery from weakness after illness, and stimulates the body.
Bruce Lee Diet: Sample Meals

Obviously Bruce Lee’s diet would have varied greatly during the 1960′s and early 1970′s as his training methods evolved, but here is what is possibly one of his typical days meals:
Breakfast

Food: A bowl of muesli cereal, comprised of whole grains, nuts, and dried fruits, plus 2% milk (semi skimmed).
Beverage: Orange Juice and/or tea.
Snack

Juice or Protein Drink: Protein powder, non-instant powdered milk made with water or juice, eggs, wheat germ, bananas, peanut butter. Brewer’s yeast was frequently added.
Lunch

Food: Meat, vegetables, and rice.
Beverage: Tea.
Snack

Juice or Protein Drink: see ingredients for morning-snack protein drink.
Dinner

Food: Spaghetti and salad, or another meal of rice, vegetables, and meat, chicken, or seafood.
Beverage: One glass of 2% milk and/or tea.
http://www.motleyhealth.com/diets_and_recipes/the-bruce-lee-diet
"At the end of the day, I don’t give a crap who’s taking what. The steroids are not going to help them when I hit them. Take as much as you like, I don’t care." - Mark Hunt

redeyeddawn
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby redeyeddawn » Aug 13. 2010, 20:05

kusok wrote:What you should know about the 3 macros:

Protein -
Essential macro. Your muscles need protein, your hair and nails are made from it as well pretty much. Most sating (satisfying) macro. This means that eating 100 calories from protein will satisfy you more than eating 100 calories from fat or carbs. Protein is a poor source of energy thou. Protein intake for athletes or just people who exercise and wish to look good and be fit is minimum 1g/lb (1 gram for 1 lbs of your bodyweight) and at most 1.5g/lb. Eating less protein than that will compromise your lean muscle mass, and eating more than that will not have anymore benefits (with rare exceptions). High protein foods are animal products (eggs, meat, fish, chicken, dairy etc)

Carbs (carbohydrates) -
Not an essential macro (meaning you will not die even if you eat ZERO carbs). Carbs are the best source of energy. Optimum carb intake varies dramatically depending on individual needs. Endurance athletes need a LOT of carbs, up to 2g/lb or even more if "loading" the night before an endurance competition. Normal intake is about 1-1.5g/lb. Some people are sensitive to carbs (getting sleepy after a high carb meal, energy crashes, bloating, feeling sick after eating carbs) and thus would need to lower their carb intake as needed. In extreme cases a Keto diet may be needed (a VERY low carb diet). People on low carb diets should "carb up" once a week where they eat more carbs that day to replenish their bodies. High carb foods are breads, cereals, fruits, potatoes etc.

Fat -
Essential macro. Fat balances hormones and is responsible for many functions in your body. Daily fat intake should be between 0.3-0.5g/lb. Of course people sensitive to carbs will have to eat a lot more fat than that. Fat is a decent energy source. It is recommended that you focus on "good" (unsaturated) fats like olive oil, avocado, salmon etc, but fat from meats or milk is ok too. Trans fat should be avoided.

FAQ

Q. What is a calorie?
A. A calorie is a unit of energy found in your foods and in your body. Following Law of Thermodynamics it's easy to see that if you eat more calories (food) than you burn (use) per day, you will gain weight. And if you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight.

Q. Do I have to eat my veggies?
A. Yes. Eat LOTS of leafy greens. They carry large amounts of vitamins, fiber and minerals, with only a few calories. You're compromising your results in the gym and daily life if you don't eat them!

Q. Do I have to drink lots of water?
A. Yes! Drink Green Tea as well. Helps burn fat, and is healthful.

Q. Are juices good?
A. Juices are ok, but they are not nearly as good as real fruit, because the fiber is missing :(

Q. Why do I keep hearing about how fresh squeezed juices are the best?
A. Because juice makers need to sell their bulky over-priced useless products.

Q. I heard that meat is bad for you. Is it true?
A. No.

Q. I heard that tuna has mercury in it. Should I not eat tuna?
A. Don't worry about mercury. Canned chunk light tuna in water has no mercury in it (tests confirmed). It is the solid white albacore that has some mercury in it. Wild caught tuna is also fine (but expensive). Countless athletes eat insane amounts of tuna and their blood work shows ZERO mercury.

Q. I hear milk is bad. Should I avoid it?
A. No. Unless you have lactose intolerance (gas, bloating, stomach pains after drinking milk) there is no reason to cut out milk.
People who are against milk usually eat plenty of meat (milk laid foundation for that meat) and drink lots of whey (which is a refined processed milk product)... Think about that one for a minute... :)

Q. I heard that pasteurization of milk denatures proteins. Should I be worried?
A. No. Your body also denatures proteins... Don't worry about it. If really concerned go ahead and get raw milk AT YOUR OWN RISK! There may be decease in it. I don't recommend this. I drank raw milk, it's awesome, but it's better to play it safe!

Q. I heard eating eggs is bad because of high cholesterol eggs have.
A. Cholesterol in food has no effect on YOUR cholesterol. There are many many people who eat up to a dozen eggs per day for decades and are perfectly healthy.

Q. Is it better to eat organic food?
A. No. Read:
http://www.maxcondition.com/page.php?148
But if you have the extra money and like the taste go for it! Just don't expect any magic results.

Q. Should I avoid fruit due to high fructose (sugar) content in it?
A. No. Unless you let fruit dominate your diet you're ok. Most fruit has fructose and glucose, thus replenishing your liver and muscle glycogen. Your liver can handle even as much as 5-6 fruits per day before fully replenishing (after which bad things like fat storage may occur depending on other things) So if really concerned, limit your fruit to say 3-4 fruits per day.

Q. What's a good multi-vitamin?
A. NOW Adam, Animal Pak, and Orange Triad are all extremely reputable, high-selling, and popular brands among athletes and bodybuilders. For those serious about sports nothing touches the reputation of the formidable Animal Pak. Countless pro athletes and bodybuilders buy Animal Pak with their own money thou they are offered vitamins for FREE from other companies who sponsor them.

Q. What are the supplements I should take?
A. If you don't eat fatty fish a few times per week you should take fish oil. The research is overwhelming, in parts of the world where people eat marine fats, they live longer and have less disease.
A good quality multi-vitamin,
some kind of a bone building mineral (calcium, magnesium etc unless your vitamin already has a good amount in it),
creatine monohydrate is good if you're an athlete,
and natural whey protein for convenience to make it easy for you to eat a high-protein diet. Pretty much all other supplements are a waste of your money.

Q. Kusok, I refuse to count calories or to have a pre-set diet that I follow every day! Give me a way to track how much I eat without writing anything down or entering it in my i-phone nutrition application!
A. Easy! Let's say you're a somewhat active and relatively fit 200lbs guy. To meet your nutritional optimum requirements you will need about 3000 calories per day with about 250 grams of protein. So eat 6 meals per day (Breakfast, lunch, dinner,supper, and pre and post work-out snacks), each meal will have 500 calories and 40 grams of protein. This makes it easy to keep track in your head of how much you eat. Power lifters, bodybuilders and models do this often.
Or let's say you wish to gain some weight and thus will aim to eat 3500 calories per day, then simply eat an extra 100 calories at your first 5 meals.
Or let' say you wish to lose fat, and will thus aim to eat 2500 calories. Simply eat 5 meals per day, 500 calories per meal and 50 grams protein at each. once protein requirement is met fill the rest of the calories with fat or carb as you wish (just don't avoid fat or carbs, they are both good for you)
With some elementary research you will be able to know how many calories and how much protein is in each food item you eat without having to look it up on the internet.

Here is a list for you of the most common things you probably (and should) eat daily with approximate calories and protein in each:

- Small single chicken breast = 125 calories, 25 grams protein
- Big double full chicken breast = 250 calories, 50 grams protein
- egg = 70 calories, 6 grams protein
- egg white = 20 calories, 4 grams protein
- small avocado = 150 calories, 5 grams protein
- medium avocado = 200 calories
- huge avocado = 300 calories
- any leafy green veggies = extremely low calories, not worth counting

Thing like steak are trickier, Look at your palm, this is what 3 oz of steak (or most other food like fish) looks like size-wise. A lean steak that size will have 150 calories and 25 grams protein. Most steaks are a lot bigger of course.

- Sushi = one piece (small piece of fish on top of some rice) or piece of roll (not the entire roll :D) 50 calories, 5 grams protein
- orange = 75 calories, 1 gram protein
- banana = 100 calories, 1 gram protein
- small bowl of rice = 200 calories, only a few grams protein
- sweet potato (or yam) = 175 calories, very little protein
etc.

Such knowledge would make it easy for you to have an idea of how much you eat without having to write it down or freak people out by counting your calories, which really annoys people around you.

Hope this was helpful. Ask questions, or make comments. Next and last section will be on exercising. Peace!

Very impressive knowledge base kusok...

oberfussmeister
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby oberfussmeister » Aug 13. 2010, 21:47

where is the point of quoting 50123457 lines to write 1 yourself???

PooSmear
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby PooSmear » Aug 13. 2010, 22:58

I got one question I still cant fucking answer... How the f**k am I going to eat 150 grams of protein a day, how many eggs is that like 15?!?! I just dont know how to intake that much protein and not eat like 500% of my daily fat value... Im reading some more and I dont eat much chicken but I do eat a good amount of beef and pork but if I get chicken its usally legs. So I guess I need to eat more chicken breasts and steak, I will still fry up pork chops cause I love me some chops. I could also start eating eggs again. Im starting to think that I dont even need to worry about fat intake or is that not true?
I'd like a lettuce, tomato and Munster on rye
All this cheese is gonna make me cry
Gorgonzola, Provolone
Don't even get me started on this microphone.
-MCA

Im probably drunk and stuff...

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Aug 13. 2010, 23:38

PooSmear wrote:I got one question I still cant fucking answer... How the f**k am I going to eat 150 grams of protein a day, how many eggs is that like 15?!?!

haha no, 150 grams protein is 25 eggs :D because there is about 6 grams of protein in 1 egg.

But to answer your question, it's EASY to get even 400 grams of protein per day (most serious HW power-lifters and top bodybuilders do it daily). How? Simple! Let's say you eat 4 eggs for breakfast (25 grams protein), big 12 oz steak for lunch (100 grams protein), have 2 scoops of protein before work-out and 2 scoops after work out (25 grams per scoop, so that's 100 grams protein) Guess what! You're already at 225 grams protein without even counting protein from whatever other stuff you will eat during the day.

I just dont know how to intake that much protein and not eat like 500% of my daily fat value...

Go more with LEAN protein sources. Things like egg whites, whey protein, chicken breast, tuna, tilapia, skim milk, low fat yogurts etc have almost no fat at all and LOTS of protein.

Im reading some more and I dont eat much chicken but I do eat a good amount of beef and pork but if I get chicken its usally legs. So I guess I need to eat more chicken breasts and steak, I will still fry up pork chops cause I love me some chops. I could also start eating eggs again. Im starting to think that I dont even need to worry about fat intake or is that not true?

Keep fat intake at about 0.4 grams per 1 lbs of your bodyweight. This is the standard recommendation for athletes. So for you a ballpark of anywhere between 55 and 75 grams daily is fine.
There is nothing wrong with fat, but if you eat too much you may overeat and start getting fat, or take calories away from other macros (protein and carbs) All in moderation.

Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Sasori » Aug 14. 2010, 09:03

i have a odd question. Ive heard "no carbs after 18:00 if you want visual abs". I'm guessing the point would be that the metabolism would sow down later in the evening and at night. Is this true or does the time of consumption not mater?

oberfussmeister
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby oberfussmeister » Aug 14. 2010, 09:14

i really like curd cheese. the one with low fat contains almost no fat but about 12% protein.

oberfussmeister
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby oberfussmeister » Aug 14. 2010, 09:16

haha i have visual abs (no sick abs ;) ) and i sometimes eat carbs at 3am :P the problem with eating late is that your body doesnt use energy while sleeping i think.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Aug 14. 2010, 10:16

Sasori wrote:i have a odd question. Ive heard "no carbs after 18:00 if you want visual abs". I'm guessing the point would be that the metabolism would sow down later in the evening and at night. Is this true or does the time of consumption not mater?

yes, it's a myth.

Nothing wrong with carbs at night. I elaborated on this in more technical terms in these nutrition stickies if you look closely. This carbofobia is based on fear of insulin and alleged suppression of GH, both of which are unfounded groundless myths based on old misunderstandings of human physiology, and research involving fasted trainees and unrealistic scenarios. Meal timing is almost irrelevant, caloric balance for the entire day and getting your macros is paramount.

In fact during a caloric deficit (dieting, cutting weight etc) carbs at night may enhance lean mass preservation (aka saving your muscles)
Last edited by kusok on Aug 14. 2010, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”