Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How to gain muscle (easy guide and FAQ)

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: How to gain muscle (easy guide and FAQ)

Postby kusok » Oct 23. 2012, 19:59

el magico wrote:What do you think of 'Westside for Skinny Bastards'

http://defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

Westside is one of the most respected and loved ways to lift, thou personally I prefer something totally simple and super easy to keep in my head. Make sure that if you do lots of other MMA training you lift only 2x per week, not 4 or even 3 times. You MAY get away with 3 if you're young and don't do too much of other training. You may find this useful, this is Westside's creator himself:

___

Q: Mr. DeFranco,

I have had a lot of success with your program in the past and everything I have read trolling your site has been very useful. I am training for my first amateur MMA fight. I am looking to put some weight on. I have realized that it is not possible to train 2 hrs a day 5-6 days a week and lift 4 days a week. I am leaning towards lifting 3, maybe even 2 days a week. My question is what is your recommendation for bulking up? Will fight training and just eating like a horse be enough or should I add some Rep Method work after my fight training everyday? I appreciate any recommendations
you have.

Thank you,
Steve

A: Steve,
If you are training MMA 5-6 days a week and you have a fight coming up, I recommend that you strength-train only 2X a week (with 2-3 days between strength workouts) at this point. Since you’ve had success with “my” program, I will provide you with a great Two-Day variation of my template. (Obviously, there are many ways you can organize your strength training; but this is a good starting point for someone like yourself who has had success with a modified Westside template.)

WORKOUT #1

1. DE Lower Body Movement (Jump variation)
2. ME Upper Body movement
3. Posterior chain lower body movement
4. DB press variation
5. Lat/Upper back superset
6. Ab circuit (high reps)

WORKOUT #2

1. ME Lower Body Movement
2. Rep Upper Body movement (chin-up or push-up variation)
3. Unilateral lower body movement
4. Shrug variation super-setted with rear delt movement
5. Grip training
6. Weighted abdominals

Obviously, your diet is going to be KEY if you’re looking to gain strength and add muscle mass during this time. And remember that you must be creating a caloric surplus if you’re looking to gain weight while on this training regimen. (In other words, you gotta put more calories in your body than you’re burning off!)

You might need to turn off AdBlock

jesse lazo
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby jesse lazo » Oct 24. 2012, 02:00

What would you recommend to keep as much strength as possible while cutting? I was at 157 over summer, and I'm dropping to 138's. Down to ~148 now, but it's getting really hard to keep the weight at where it was earlier.

Right now I'm running every other day and doing a Push/Pull split, working out 4 days a week. Thanks :D
"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." - Robert Collier
- CRI XXIII Champ
- Amateur Record: 1-0

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Oct 24. 2012, 11:14

jesse lazo wrote:What would you recommend to keep as much strength as possible while cutting? I was at 157 over summer, and I'm dropping to 138's. Down to ~148 now, but it's getting really hard to keep the weight at where it was earlier.

Right now I'm running every other day and doing a Push/Pull split, working out 4 days a week. Thanks :D

1- Cut frequency (go to 3-days per week lifting, or even 2), and cut down on volume significantly (less sets, do a couple of working sets per exercise instead of 4 or whatever you did before). Do NOT cut intensity (do not reduce weight you lift). This is standard smart strategy to keep strength as much as possible while dieting, since recovery is going to be slower. Notice that you will often hear the very opposite of this, as a myth from 1970s and 80s about increasing reps, frequency and volume during dieting is still around. Ignore it. It's based on roided bodybuilders, and is probably wrong anyways even for them.

2- Increase protein to 1.5g/lb. I assume you're a mixed athlete (MMA). If you were an endurance athlete you may have high carb requirements, but you would still take in at least 1.2 g/lb protein while dieting.

3- make sure you run/sprint only as much as you need for your sport and not a minute more. Rely on slight caloric deficit to lose weight, not on too much draining cardio.

4- Lose 0.5 or 1 lb weekly. If losing 2 lbs weekly, up the calories slightly. The more you eat the more strength you can keep obviously. If you have time you can even take a break from diet for a few days, bumping calories up to maintenance and staying same weight. Refeeds help some people mentally as well.

5- To combat hunger drink more water, a lot more, more veggies, especially leafy greens. Don't avoid fat. Get some fiber. Fruit helps actually (fiber + water = happy). Coffee and tea helps some people. A fat burner supplement in some cases, thou I prefer not to do such things unless absolutely necessary.

lasni
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby lasni » Oct 31. 2012, 11:40

I've got a question. If I'm still a bit sore from Monday, should I go to the gym today and do some of the same exercises? I've just started again this week after a lengthy hiatus from any real physical workout.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Nov 2. 2012, 16:58

lasni wrote:I've got a question. If I'm still a bit sore from Monday, should I go to the gym today and do some of the same exercises? I've just started again this week after a lengthy hiatus from any real physical workout.

It's good to slide back into training gently after a break. Generally its not bad to train slightly sore. Just be safe and smart. Make sure you warm up really well, and by then most soreness will probably be gone. If however you're still unmotivated and too sore after warm-up, go home :) (remember also that you get used to higher frequency as your body adopts and adjusts you will feel less soreness)

eunuch
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby eunuch » Nov 12. 2012, 21:22

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0012033

kusok can you translate that to plain english for me please

lower weight for higher reps makes me "bigger"?
I need strength
Is SS still the king?
And then he says, “Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shit,” and then he hung up the phone.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Nov 12. 2012, 22:54

eunuch wrote:http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0012033

I need strength
Is SS still the king?

Don't worry about that study. It talks about size, not strength. For bodybuilders basically. And besides, this study has been discussed to death by leading experts and elite coaches, and it has limitations and no serious conclusions should be drawn from it.

Have you read this?

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/strengthtraining.html

Since I'm not an MMA fighter or coach, and have very limited combat training, I can't give you advanced and specific advice on lifting for MMA other than what's in that link above. But basically use common sense: if you need more strength at this time, do SS. But if you were a big super strong huge bulky slow dude who needs to develop speed and/or endurance and/or explosiveness or a combination of any of those things, don't do SS :)
SS-style work-outs are great for strength.

Your question actually brings up an important correction I have to make to this thread. I have to clarify wether the thread is about muscle size or strength, and other such things. When I have time I will adjust the OP to make it more useful and clear.

eunuch
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby eunuch » Nov 13. 2012, 11:05

kusok wrote:
eunuch wrote:http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0012033

I need strength
Is SS still the king?

Don't worry about that study. It talks about size, not strength. For bodybuilders basically. And besides, this study has been discussed to death by leading experts and elite coaches, and it has limitations and no serious conclusions should be drawn from it.

Have you read this?

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/strengthtraining.html

Since I'm not an MMA fighter or coach, and have very limited combat training, I can't give you advanced and specific advice on lifting for MMA other than what's in that link above. But basically use common sense: if you need more strength at this time, do SS. But if you were a big super strong huge bulky slow dude who needs to develop speed and/or endurance and/or explosiveness or a combination of any of those things, don't do SS :)
SS-style work-outs are great for strength.

Your question actually brings up an important correction I have to make to this thread. I have to clarify wether the thread is about muscle size or strength, and other such things. When I have time I will adjust the OP to make it more useful and clear.

Thank you very much, you've done a great job thus far. I speak for the whole community when I say we appreciate the work you put in.
And then he says, “Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shit,” and then he hung up the phone.

muga mushin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby muga mushin » May 20. 2014, 10:11

eunuch wrote:I need strength

GermanSuplex
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby GermanSuplex » May 20. 2014, 12:11

Just by looking at this picture?-I'll try it.
No Babe, you're not dumb...you're actually very pretty!

STRYDG
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby STRYDG » Jun 8. 2014, 20:01

Anyone have tips for when Im on my busy weeks on hitting the gym?

If I only had 2 days to train, an hour per visit what kind of excercises should I be doing to hit my whole body, splitting it over those 2 days?

Thinking this may become more common once my MMA classes start up.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Jun 8. 2014, 23:58

STRYDG wrote:Anyone have tips for when Im on my busy weeks on hitting the gym?

If I only had 2 days to train, an hour per visit what kind of excercises should I be doing to hit my whole body, splitting it over those 2 days?

Thinking this may become more common once my MMA classes start up.

Hitting full body twice a week is fairly common for busy people and those doing lots of other training. You can do any full body routine like SS or 5x5 or whatever else as long as it has one big leg movement, one big pressing movement and one big pulling movement. Throw in a few more that you feel you need if you got the energy and time. I personally always feel the need for shrugs and something for hamstrings, some ab exercise, just a couple of sets, and hyper-extensions for lower back. But I know people who hate isolations and don't ever do anything except the big 3 movements and go home, and they perform great.

As far as which movements, whatever the routine you follow has you do is fine. Due to an injured lower back I like single leg squats, so there is no pressure on my back. Others love to squat, some like leg press, some like deadlifts. Bench press, pull-ups, and there you got the big 3. You can do row on your other day for variety, and shoulder press instead of bench if you want variety.

vstipic23
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby vstipic23 » Jul 11. 2014, 07:43

Hey there, smarty pants! :D

Here's a brain teaser for you...

I do kickboxing training three times a week. It's an hour and a half of heavy cardio and some strength excercises. I push up, pull up, do dips and stuff and am pretty good at it too.

However, for the past year I have been at steady 72kg (158lb). I'm 180cm (5'11''). I can't get any weight and more importantly, I wouldn't want any that's not lean muscle. My body fat is very low, keeping it that way is important for me because every new lb of fat is a pound I need to carry when I do explosive movement. At 32 that's not a good idea.

To top it all, I haven't had more than 6, maybe 7 hours of night sleep for over 6 months now. My kid is on Martian time.

So... Mr. I-know-how-to-make-you-big... What to do? :shock:

Seriously, any ideas?
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Jul 11. 2014, 13:12

Posting from a small phone. Sorry for typos:

Just to be clear, you're trying to gain muscle? Then all the same stuff applies: take in slightly more calories then you do now to gain slowly half a pound a week, get your protein at 1g/lb (160 grams for you or even a bit more), and do heavy resistance training 2x per week full body using a typical strength training program like some 5x5 or SS etc. Given your kickboxing schedule I doubt you can recover with 3x weekly lifting. So try 2x. With slow lean gains your body fat gain should be minimal, if at all. You can always burn it off later or back off your caloric surplus if you get too much fatgain in your view.

The lifting should focus on progressive overload and not on pump or gettingg sore or any of that. Just increasing the weight you lift slowly over a period of time little by little for a few weeks. Then deload and go again.

If your weight and lifts are not going up after a few weeks, count your calories and increase them more. Most endurance athletes and hard gainers overestimate how much protein and how many calories they eat. Just like people who struggle to lose weight usually underestimate how many calories they eat.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”