Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How to gain muscle (easy guide and FAQ)

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
STRYDG
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Re: How to gain muscle (easy guide and FAQ)

Postby STRYDG » Mar 20. 2012, 00:21

More interesting info, thanks kusok. Im doing pull, push then legs weekdays and most times consecutively so will now put legs inbetween the pull/push. Have noticed my traps are most sore after those days. Fridays a break and Saturday is a full upper routine but not to the extent of the weekday routine. Came from doing an upper/lower split but found I didnt have enough time to properly work out the muscles as hard as I would like to.

Dips & chin ups, when do you suggest using these? On a pull days Ill do back first and end with chin ups then move onto biceps as it targets both groups. Shrugs is the last Q, some say shoulders say say back workout...?

You might need to turn off AdBlock

dthcltn
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby dthcltn » Mar 26. 2012, 10:54

Hey, Kusok, what would you say is the optimal numer of repeats per series when doing mass gaining training?
6-8, 8-10-12?

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Mar 26. 2012, 12:06

dthcltn wrote:Hey, Kusok, what would you say is the optimal numer of repeats per series when doing mass gaining training?
6-8, 8-10-12?

All rep ranges have benefits for muscle gain, but 5-8 is considered optimal. But you should still work in other rep ranges as well.

Thou 5-8 is pretty low, and thus focuses on strength, especially 5, that is the whole point, you can't get bigger if you're not getting stronger. You can get a little bit more pumped up on high reps (12~) but after that little bit of pump goes away you're back to square 1, to get SERIOUS mass growth you need to get stronger, thus the low reps being important.

Most bodybuilders (important, since they focus on mass) have periods of low rep training, followed by doing a few weeks of higher rep training, they gain strength on low reps, then get some growth on high reps, then repeat etc. This is called periodization. Or you can just do 5~ reps for your first big exercise, followed by higher reps (10~) on your secondary smaller exercise, like for your quads you can do:

- squat 3-4x5 (3 or 4 working sets of 5 repetitions)
- leg press 3x8 or 2x10, or 1x20

(of course in between those 2 exercises you would give your quads a break by doing something for your hamstrings meanwhile)
Most powerlifters also train in similar ways ^^^

All that being said, eating a caloric surplus is absolutely required, and is more important than rep range.

STRYDG
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby STRYDG » Mar 29. 2012, 16:28

Sorry thought my question time for over but in both talking to a friend and reading the main strength training excercises supposedly are squats, deadlifts and bench press. If thats the case where does everything else fit into a plan? Wondering if you have any workout guides for a week cso basically Im making my own up from learnings along the way.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Mar 29. 2012, 17:25

STRYDG wrote:Sorry thought my question time for over but in both talking to a friend and reading the main strength training excercises supposedly are squats, deadlifts and bench press. If thats the case where does everything else fit into a plan? Wondering if you have any workout guides for a week cso basically Im making my own up from learnings along the way.

Depends on the program and individual goals and physiques. But any non-retarded routine works. 5x5 is a popular way to train, you can google Bill Starr's 5x5 or madcow 5x5 etc and read up. Usually you would hit the big lifts, followed by some smaller exercises.

What I would do thou, if you do MMA, and are training with MMA in mind, google weight lifting for MMA. many coaches have tweaked weight lifting to help athletes for MMA, for boxing, for running etc. And all those programs are different. Boxers would train fast pressing alternating motions with dumbbells, runners would hit some deadlifts as injury prevention, MMA guys would do their chin-ups explosively to train speed, while powerlifters would have less use for such training, and so on.

Bodybuilding-style training is usually more varied in exercise selection, as bodybuilders try to hit more muscle groups from more angles. And so much also depends on level of trainee.

If you give me an approximate idea of your goals, training schedule other than lifting, experience level, and some elementary stats (how much do you lift), I can at least point you in the right direction, and give you an example of a lifting program that people like you would use.

jesse lazo
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby jesse lazo » Apr 2. 2012, 15:55

Hey Kusok, I was wondering what to do after I get off my current routine/ 1/2 GOMAD diet.
I've gone from 135 to 150 in a little under 2 months, and I'm sick of milk. I know I'll still have to eat 3500+ calories a day. I also don't like this third phase of the routine I'm on, and since I'm doing it with a partner when he gets off phase 2 we're just going to skip to phase 4. So I have another month to decide on a routine but I don't like consistently changing my mind.

I feel like everywhere I look the main routines for building mass are 5 day splits. But would my muscles get enough of a workout to go a whole week without getting worked again? I'm looking at two routines right now, can you tell me which one is better in your opinion?

I like workout 1 and 2 on this page: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-full-body-workouts-for-size.htm
And this one is featured on BB.com: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryan-hughes-muscle-building-program.html

Thanks in advance Kusok.
"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." - Robert Collier
- CRI XXIII Champ
- Amateur Record: 1-0

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Apr 2. 2012, 16:13

jesse lazo wrote:Hey Kusok, I was wondering what to do after I get off my current routine/ 1/2 GOMAD diet.
I've gone from 135 to 150 in a little under 2 months, and I'm sick of milk. I know I'll still have to eat 3500+ calories a day. I also don't like this third phase of the routine I'm on, and since I'm doing it with a partner when he gets off phase 2 we're just going to skip to phase 4. So I have another month to decide on a routine but I don't like consistently changing my mind.

I feel like everywhere I look the main routines for building mass are 5 day splits. But would my muscles get enough of a workout to go a whole week without getting worked again? I'm looking at two routines right now, can you tell me which one is better in your opinion?

I like workout 1 and 2 on this page: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-full-body-workouts-for-size.htm
And this one is featured on BB.com: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryan-hughes-muscle-building-program.html

Thanks in advance Kusok.

To gain weight, I don't recommend gaining more than 1 lbs per week, it will not be possible to gain more muscle faster anyway, just piling on more fat. Natural new muscle gain is unfortunately a very slow process.
You don't have to have milk, simply eat what you like with preference for whole foods and while fulfilling your protein, fat and carb goals.
Half gallon of mlik is about 1'000 calories, you can simply eat a big steak instead, or a large burger or two, or a large chicken breast with 2 or 3 thighs or drumsticks, or a few eggs with some mayo or a carb source like rice, and so on.

I would not rely on articles from bb.com. the good routines are posted on their forums by well-known experts. The articles are often written by random amateur writers, not to be trusted.
Naturals benefit from training each muscle group every 5 days or twice per week. Beginners and athletes who do weight lifting as injury prevention and athletic performance do better on full body, and advanced and enhanced lifters do better on bodypart splits (training each muscle group 1x per week)
A lot depends on what you're trying to accomplish, and what your other training is like if any. because if you do lots of MMA, you should not lift weights more than 3x per week or even 2x if you do LOTS of MMA and are not recovering well. But if you do no other training, and are eating like a horse, training 4x per week is better. 5x is for very advanced lifters, 6x is for some enhanced lifters (roids)

If you give me an idea of your goals and training schedule OTHER than weight lifting, I can give you an idea of what program to us. But generally any non-retarded routine will work :)

jesse lazo
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby jesse lazo » Apr 2. 2012, 17:25

Alright thanks. I know putting on any more than 1 lb a week won't be muscle, but I was 135 lbs at 7.2% BF. So I figured I had some room to give for fat. I'd say I'm around 10% BF now.

Twice per week would mean like a push/pull split? Mon/Thur Push and Tues/Fri Pull?

My goal is to get up to ~160 - 165 lbs by August. I feel like I could get to 170 maybe? I'm doing 2 hour wrestling practices twice a week and on the routine I'm on currently (which I plan on getting off of in a month) lifting 4 days a week. I also run twice a week (Not the wrestling practice days).

My goal weight training wise is to get bigger and stronger, bigger being more important to me. I've been on the 5x5 routine before, but never saw results in size. I was able to rep my body weight 12 times on the bench press, but I wasn't getting big. Now I can rep my new body weight 6 times, which I think is good considering I put it on in under 2 months.
"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." - Robert Collier
- CRI XXIII Champ
- Amateur Record: 1-0

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Apr 2. 2012, 19:49

jesse lazo wrote:Alright thanks. I know putting on any more than 1 lb a week won't be muscle, but I was 135 lbs at 7.2% BF. So I figured I had some room to give for fat. I'd say I'm around 10% BF now.

Twice per week would mean like a push/pull split? Mon/Thur Push and Tues/Fri Pull?

My goal is to get up to ~160 - 165 lbs by August. I feel like I could get to 170 maybe? I'm doing 2 hour wrestling practices twice a week and on the routine I'm on currently (which I plan on getting off of in a month) lifting 4 days a week. I also run twice a week (Not the wrestling practice days).

My goal weight training wise is to get bigger and stronger, bigger being more important to me. I've been on the 5x5 routine before, but never saw results in size. I was able to rep my body weight 12 times on the bench press, but I wasn't getting big. Now I can rep my new body weight 6 times, which I think is good considering I put it on in under 2 months.

Yeah, working each muscle group 2x per week or every 5 days would mean an upper/lower or push/pull split alternating workouts 3 or 4 days per week, or full body done 2 days per week. Lifting more than 4 days per week is not recommended for naturals. Yes, young males and very advanced gifted lifters can handle it, especially if they do no other training and eat a lot, but it will simply take it's toll on your body later in life, and 4 days provides maximum growth and recovery anyway.

With your wrestling practices, I would think 4 days per week is a LOT! Usual recommendation for someone with your schedule would be 3 days per week! And even two if you still feel un-recovered.

There are many options, AllPros full body 2 and 3 day routines for athletes who want to gain size and strength, Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine, Iron Addict's SPBR (simple power based routine) and so on.

With push/pull, don't do it more than 3 days per week, due to shoulder overload, since both back and chest work the shoulders (rotator cuff).

If you're making small strength gains over time, and gaining some weight don't change anything.

Personally I did all splits and routines, my favorite is the most popular upper/lower done 3 or 4 days per week. I listen to my body and work in a wide rep range, looking for strength gains on the big lifts with low reps, followed by high reps and hitting smaller muscle groups also with wide rep range.

superboomer23
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby superboomer23 » Apr 4. 2012, 09:03

Hey Kusok,
you said to google "lift weights for MMA", there are thousands links and reccomendations. Do you have any preference for any specific site or opinion?
Thanks!

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Apr 4. 2012, 15:21

superboomer23 wrote:Hey Kusok,
you said to google "lift weights for MMA", there are thousands links and reccomendations. Do you have any preference for any specific site or opinion?
Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't recommend that exactly. Everyone is different, and I'm no expert in MMA training. I know that many combat athletes use 5x5-type programs, usually 2-3 days per week, since they do lots of other training. I know other guys like GSP and Fedor do lots of varied cross-training explosive training (youtube). If I was you I'd look at what well-known MMA trainers use.

Basically any non-retarded routine will work, since resistance training is still simply resistance training, and nutrition is more important anyway.

Floyduss
Presidential Suite
Presidential Suite

Postby Floyduss » Apr 5. 2012, 01:22

Hey kusok, great thread!

I havent read all 21 pages so I don't know if my answer has been asked, so I apologise if it has.

If I'm doing strength training, and pump out 8 reps, is it good to rest for 5-10 secs, max out and then have your rest?

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Apr 5. 2012, 13:43

Floyd wrote:Hey kusok, great thread!

I havent read all 21 pages so I don't know if my answer has been asked, so I apologise if it has.

If I'm doing strength training, and pump out 8 reps, is it good to rest for 5-10 secs, max out and then have your rest?

All such tricks like the rest-pause that you described and the drop-sets/super-sets are ok, they are sometimes used by advanced lifters, volume (how many sets you do) and frequency (how many times per week you hit each muscle group) has to be reduced, or you'll burn out quickly. DC (doggcrapp) is a somewhat popular method of training that does this, so you do less sets, less time in gym, and only hit each muscle group every 6 days or so if I recall correctly. Some people grow on it (usually advanced gifted lifters), most burn out.

This kind of stuff is not worth worrying about. Regular normal training is a better bet.

Floyduss
Presidential Suite
Presidential Suite

Postby Floyduss » Apr 6. 2012, 08:10

Thanks man,

I drop-set lift same muscle groups every 2 or 3 days, and have been for a couple of months. How do you know you have burnt out? Is it a psychological or body symptom? I am in no way a veteran lifter and a pretty silly bugger at that.
I do alot of supersets because I always thought it trained your muscles endurance, aswell as strength.. But I was told this as soon as I started lifting and have been doing it like this for about 6.
I'm training MMA, when I'm away from scheduled training what is the best method of taining when only having one dumbell and a boring tuesday night?

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”