Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How to lose fat (easy guide and FAQ)

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
superboomer23
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Re: How to lose fat (easy guide and FAQ)

Postby superboomer23 » Nov 5. 2013, 15:31

gone where???

You might need to turn off AdBlock

nilloc1
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby nilloc1 » Nov 5. 2013, 16:06

superboomer23 wrote:gone where???

Since Sept, when his last reply was? Hmmm...

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Nov 5. 2013, 18:07

nilloc1 wrote:
Hey Kusok - thanks for sharing so much info. I've been devouring all of it.

If you have the time and inclination, I'd love a little advice. I'm 38 yrs old, 6 ft. and 195ish. My wife and I are doing the 17-Day Diet (she read the book and did it once before and felt like she had a lot of success). It's basically low carbs (particularly no added/refined sugar), high protein, high vegetables. I've been training BJJ fairly hard at a competitive school for 90 minutes per session 3 days per week. No other workouts.

My question is about losing fat without losing muscle. In 4 weeks of BJJ, I didn't lose any numerical weight, but definitely got a thinner middle. However, I went on this diet a little over a week ago and went from 199 to about 192. Is this muscle loss? I have naturally narrow shoulders and chest, so the last thing I need is to lose muscle. Any thoughts? I haven't counted any calories, as there's no guidelines on this diet for calorie intake, only the foods you eat (I know that's certainly affected my calorie intake, though). My moods/hormones/libido also seem a little screwed up, but I figured that was just from cutting my calorie intake.

Is counting calories the only way for me to figure out if I'm under-eating? And how many calories should I shoot for
in total? According to your other posts, it looks like 200g or so of protein a day, 50g of fat? Any other guidelines?

Bonus question (if you're still reading): My wife is 5'8" and about 150 but would like to be 130 (she has a big frame/shoulders). Any thoughts on her target calorie intake? She's much less active than me, but doing Yoga and light cardio 3-4 days a week.

Thanks in advance!

sure, here are some tips on all the stuff you asked:

When you cut carbs you will lose a few lbs of water weight, so this is somewhat normal. Cutting carbs also leads to some flatness for many people. You gotta experiment. For me personally anything below 200 grams carbs (i'm 200 lbs), even with good overall calories, I'm flat and have no strength or energy.

A decrease in calories can definitely mess with libido and mood etc. I recommend you cut calories slowly and gently and only as much as needed to slowly move towards your goals.

Counting calories is the most effective way to achieve desired weight and body composition, but unfortunately it is also the least convenient way.
If you don't want to count them, and you're hungry, and trying to lose fat, do more water, more greens, more lean proteins. Up to 1.5g/lb protein is fine (300 grams for a 200 lb guy). Protein is the MOST satisfying for hunger and saves you the most muscle.

50 grams fat is too little. I would increase it to 80g for a 200 lbs guy. That's minimum. I actually prefer 0.5g/lb fat, so 100 grams daily for a 200 lbs guy. otherwise libido and mood take a hit :(
Notice also that some people do better on even more fat. It all depends on how you individually respond to carbs and to fat. Some hate fat and love carbs, some have bloating and energy crash from carbs and love fatty foods. Some don't notice any difference.

I use this to get a rough idea for your general caloric intake needs:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Working with weights, often heavy free weights and machines, as well as your own bodyweight is a great way to keep muscle and burn fat as well as look good and prevent injuries. So I do recommend a couple of times per week full body typical 5x5 style routine with some squats, pull-ups, bench press, dips and all that. Do it safely and properly obviously. Follow a well known routine, don't improvise. If you didn't do all this other training I would say lift 3x per week. If you did no other training and were super into bodybuilding, I would say 4x. Then if you're enhanced (steroids) or super advanced it would be 5x. But for your situation 2x is great!

peace/

nilloc1
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby nilloc1 » Nov 6. 2013, 01:15

Thanks, man. Helpful info here, and a great link. I'm still working through it all, but I feel like I can put together an optimal menu much more intelligently now.

Also, any advice for "well-known" workouts? I have actually been "improvising" as you said based on weights I have at home and areas I want to target. There's tons of stuff online, but it's hard to know what's "good", especially for a guy like me who just wants to stay fit and not necessarily bulk up.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate the feedback.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Nov 6. 2013, 13:34

nilloc1 wrote:Thanks, man. Helpful info here, and a great link. I'm still working through it all, but I feel like I can put together an optimal menu much more intelligently now.

Also, any advice for "well-known" workouts? I have actually been "improvising" as you said based on weights I have at home and areas I want to target. There's tons of stuff online, but it's hard to know what's "good", especially for a guy like me who just wants to stay fit and not necessarily bulk up.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate the feedback.

For the food menu, don't be too strict with timing or food selection. Avoid boredom and food restriction. Enjoy your food, and don't make yourself eat stuff you don't like just because some athletes or magazines say it's good for you.

For routine, any classic 5x5 like Bill Starr or SS (Starting Strength) or AllPros is fine. But again, only 2x per week (both heavy) because you do other training, and need to also have a life, you know... GSP lifts 2x per week full body, Mark Rippetoe, the inventor of SS also recommends 2x per week for combat athletes. Olympic Judokas also do SS 2x per week, I remember reading. So do like Monday and Thursday or something like that. If you improvise your own routine, keep it reasonable and standard. A big movement for legs, big pushing movement, big pulling movement, something for back of legs, a couple of secondary upper body exercises, and voila, done. Something like this:

- squats 2x5
(can also do front squats instead. Using Olympic free weight bar do 3 working sets of 5 repetitions. 2-3 warm up sets beforehand, gentle stretching before and in between sets as well. Rest period between sets is traditionally long for power athletes 3-5 minutes, and short for endurance and other athletes 30-90 seconds. Stop your set about 2 reps ahead of failure to protect your lower back from injury. Use good form, straight back! No bending over. If going up in weight to challenge yourself and make progress, remember you gotta eat more, and then drop reps to 3. Then after a few weeks when you can do 5-8 or even more reps, you can go up 10% or so in weight again. You can also occasionally do more reps and thus less weight for variety. Don't be too strict about this.)
- bench press 2x5
- row 2x5
- hamstring curls 2x8
- shoulder press or dips 2x8
- chin-ups 2x8
- shrugs 2x8
- calves 2x8

Done. You should be done with this in under an hour. You can substitute exercises according to whatever equipment is available to you. Like, at home I don't have leg curls machine, and I'm too weak to do the very difficult GHR (glute ham raise), so I just do stiff leg dead lifts with my Olympic Bar. If your other training doesn't have much ab and core work throw in 2 sets of leg raises, hyper extensions or stiff leg deadlifts, sit-ups and crunches. If you love deadlifts like many people do, alternate them with squats. one day do squat, one day deads. Simple. Don't overthink it. Now, if you were more into bodybuilding, your routine would be slightly different, you'd do a bit more volume, 3-4 days, and would then break your full body routine into upper/lower to allow recovery etc. Then the best reputable classic routines would be something like 531 or Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking routine. Have fun!

remember to research good form. Don't pull behind your neck during pull-ups for example. Do not do shoulder press behind your neck unless it's very light. Do these exercises to the front. Warm up your rotators in the shoulders with gentle rotator cuff exercises (search youtube and improve your form all the time, it's a never ending process).

nilloc1
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby nilloc1 » Nov 7. 2013, 13:30

Good info, Kusok. Thanks again. I'm going to try to work weights in as I modify my diet. 8)

annahill
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby annahill » Dec 31. 2013, 06:41

Thank you so very much for your encouraging Post . :)

-------------------
lose belly fat

deadon
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby deadon » Apr 14. 2014, 12:22

So far Ive just read the first page, awesome!
Ive been at it for two years now. Started slow because 10min cardio was a Bitch! But Im up to working out two hours a day 5-6 days a week. Ive lost 55lbs but Im stuck. I am trying to gain for mass but also burn fat.
Im 6'3 235lbs
M- cardio 60min 1000 cals, then weights for a hour.
T- 20min cardio 300 cals, then weights
W-same
T- same
F-Cardio 60min 1000 cals, abs, weights
BTW no BS in the gym. No phone, no standing talking. I work out a lone because of this.

Any advice? Im also on Doc prescribed Test. Twice a week low dose. Test level is 600
"Steroids? Im just a jacked white boy"

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Apr 14. 2014, 12:42

deadon wrote:So far Ive just read the first page, awesome!
Ive been at it for two years now. Started slow because 10min cardio was a Bitch! But Im up to working out two hours a day 5-6 days a week. Ive lost 55lbs but Im stuck. I am trying to gain for mass but also burn fat.
Im 6'3 235lbs
W-same
T- same
BTW no BS in the gym. No phone, no standing talking. I work out a lone because of this.

Any advice? Im also on Doc prescribed Test. Twice a week low dose. Test level is 600

Too much cardio for gaining mass imho.

Limit it to once a week 20min high intensity hill sprints for example, and do at least 3 strength days (whole body exercises many sets 1-6 reps) with some hypertrophy shit (4 x 8-12reps) mixed into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

deadon
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby deadon » Apr 14. 2014, 12:48

Robert223 wrote:
Im 6'3 235lbs
W-same
T- same

Limit it to once a week 20min high intensity hill sprints for example, and do at least 3 strength days (whole body exercises many sets 1-6 reps) with some hypertrophy shit (4 x 8-12reps) mixed into it.

Thanks, Im trying to get this fat off too though and I thought maybe I needed to do cardio to make that happen. Ive lost a lot of weight and gained muscle but that belly fat is still hanging out,lol BTW I was going to try cutting cardio out for a while and see how it goes.
ImageImage

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Apr 14. 2014, 15:37

deadon wrote:
Robert223 wrote:
Im 6'3 235lbs
W-same
T- same

Thanks, Im trying to get this fat off too though and I thought maybe I needed to do cardio to make that happen. Ive lost a lot of weight and gained muscle but that belly fat is still hanging out,lol BTW I was going to try cutting cardio out for a while and see how it goes.
ImageImage

Forget specific training to lose fat.
Reduce kalories while keeping protein up and watch those pounds drop.

deadon
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby deadon » Apr 14. 2014, 18:16

[/quote]
Forget specific training to lose fat.
Reduce kalories while keeping protein up and watch those pounds drop.[/quote]
Had my diet in check for about a year. I eat 1lb protein per pound. My fitness pal says I should be losing 5lbs per week. But it's not happening. I seem to be stuck at 235. I can increase my cardio and nothing changes.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Apr 17. 2014, 03:33

deadon wrote: Had my diet in check for about a year. I eat 1lb protein per pound. My fitness pal says I should be losing 5lbs per week. But it's not happening. I seem to be stuck at 235. I can increase my cardio and nothing changes.

Hi. OP here. I would simply slightly reduce calories. Do you know how many you're eating right now daily? If you count or ballpark them, can you tell me how many you eat daily? And what are your macros? (Grams protein, fat and carbs).In particular I would want to make sure you're eating at least 0.4 g/lb fat, and protein can easily come up to 1.5 g/lb which can help for situations like yours where a plateau needs to be broken. Things like Fitness Pal are just a rough guide. Don't rely on it too much. At some point you don't need it at all.

It also seems to me from briefly glancing at you posts that you do too much cardio and spend too many days in the gym per week. I think you risk over-training and losing motivation in the future when/if you burn out. I would go to a 4 day (mon, tue, thr, fri, with wed and weekend off, or something similar) and do upper/lower split (meaning monday lower, tue upper, or vise-versa, and then thr and fri repeat), and cardio 30 minutes 3x per week.

As you get more and more fit and advanced it may be more and more difficult or even impossible for you at some point to lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time. You would then have to pursue one goal at a time if the recomposition results are getting too slow or have stopped. I would also recommend that you do not lose (or gain) more than 1 lbs weekly. 5 lbs is way too much.

Congrats on your progress so far, and on your motivation!

cheers,

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Apr 17. 2014, 07:34

deadon wrote:Had my diet in check for about a year. I eat 1lb protein per pound. My fitness pal says I should be losing 5lbs per week. But it's not happening. I seem to be stuck at 235. I can increase my cardio and nothing changes.

Robert223 wrote:Forget specific training to lose fat.
Reduce kalories while keeping protein up and watch those pounds drop.

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”