Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

How to lose fat (easy guide and FAQ)

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: How to lose fat (easy guide and FAQ)

Postby kusok » Aug 11. 2010, 15:56

The Black Dragon wrote:Awesome post, but I have a question:

What's the best way to get that much protein in your system every day? I eat lots of white meat and beans, drink a protein shake and eat a protein bar once a day and I still doubt I'm getting that much in each day. Buying lots more protein shakes and bars gets expensive, so I'd like to avoid that route if possible.

The cheapest protein-high foods are whey:

http://www.amazon.com/100-Protein-Isolate-Natural-Unflavored/dp/B000MAK59O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1281556280&sr=8-1

http://www.musclefeast.com/Muscle-Feast-Whey-Protein-Isolate-p5.html

Milk, eggs and chicken when you buy it in bulk or on sale (or both)

A large can of tuna in water can have 60 grams protein... and it's only about 1 or 2 dollars. So that is not bad too.

If you take 2 scoops whey before and after work-out that is already 100 grams protein. A large chicken breast can have up to 60 grams protein, Grab 4 eggs for breakfast, another 30 grams protein right there. That's almost 200, and that doesn't even count extra protein you will get from your carb and fat sources (things like bread got a decent amount of protein)

vstipic23
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby vstipic23 » Aug 11. 2010, 16:27

kusok wrote:(things like bread got a decent amount of protein)

Really? I am always reading here that bread is a no-no because it is refined wheat and is bad for you and should be substituted with whole grain products, pasta and other stuff...

I personally like bread and see it as a very important factor in my diet, but never really wanted to say anything because I don't have any evidence that supports bread being good for you (as funny as it sounds)...

Could you elaborate it a bit more please?
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Aug 11. 2010, 17:38

vstipic23 wrote: I am always reading here that bread is a no-no because it is refined wheat and is bad for you and should be substituted with whole grain products, pasta and other stuff...

I personally like bread and see it as a very important factor in my diet, but never really wanted to say anything because I don't have any evidence that supports bread being good for you (as funny as it sounds)...

Could you elaborate it a bit more please?

Keep eating that bread. Food avoidance is stupid. It's detrimental to you and those around you. Unless you have a clear and obvious allergy or some sort of intolerance there is absolutely no need to avoid bread or any other food unless it contains obvious poison like chemicals or trans fats.

Of course whole wheat bread is better than white bread, and there are many kinds of white bread, some more natural than others, but assuming your caloric intake is in ****, your macros are in ****, and you're eating your fiber, vitamins, and veggies there is no reason to avoid even the white bread. Think about it, this difference between whole wheat bread and white bread would only matter if it was THE only thing you ate... But you will get fiber and vitamins from other food sources during your day, so you're fine even with the slightly less nutritious white bread.

Again, only those sensitive to gluten or carbs in general may want to consider dropping grains from their diet.

PooSmear
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby PooSmear » Aug 12. 2010, 00:33

Good I love eating bread and lots of it... Im a young lighter guy 6 foot and I float around 150lbs. I have been eating so much and I cant control my appetite at all at night right after I get home from the gym. I eat like 2 or 3 meals in the afternoon and then like at least 2-6 meals after I get home from the gym at like 9:30pm to 12:00am. I wonder if its my body just filling out my frame or what but Im getting a bit of fat which I try to keep off Im kinda wondering what the hell is going on with me... So its 10:30pm I already at a shit ton and Im gonna have some beef and broccoli with rice :) then probably a bowl of cereal and like probably another peanut butter sandwich..
I'd like a lettuce, tomato and Munster on rye
All this cheese is gonna make me cry
Gorgonzola, Provolone
Don't even get me started on this microphone.
-MCA

Im probably drunk and stuff...

traeblack
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby traeblack » Aug 24. 2010, 20:55

hey Kusok, whats the quickest way to lose this beer belly that i have, its not like couch potato big, more like noticeable pudge big...help me out man :lol:

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Aug 24. 2010, 21:03

traeblack wrote:hey Kusok, whats the quickest way to lose this beer belly that i have, its not like couch potato big, more like noticeable pudge big...help me out man :lol:

:D Well, the quickest (and only) way is to reduce calories of course.

The only things you should keep in mind thou is that even the most drastic fat loss is still slow. You will not wake up next Monday with a 6-pack. And also, it is recommended that you reduce calories slightly and slowly, while exercising and eating healthful foods. Too sudden a drop in calories will f**k up your energy levels, your libido will sink to Eunuch levels, you will lose lots of muscle, and will be in a shitty mood all the time.

jyakin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Location: In Brandao's corner, telling him that greatness lies but a few adjustments away...

Postby jyakin » Aug 24. 2010, 22:50

Hey Kusok!

I'm fairly slim, (wasn't before), and didn't lose too much muscle in the process.

I have a six pack, and its fucking great to have one after years of it being covered by a layer of fat. Recently however, a buddy of mine instructed me to use high weight with low but slow and methodical reps when doing crunches. I do this by grabbing a 35 pound bench plate behind my head and doing crunches with bicycles following. Ive gone from having a good six pack to having one with MUCH deeper valleys. I know you had said before that abs are naturally flat, but Ive gotten results this way.

Whats the deal?

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Aug 24. 2010, 22:59

jyakin wrote:Hey Kusok!

I'm fairly slim, (wasn't before), and didn't lose too much muscle in the process.

I have a six pack, and its fucking great to have one after years of it being covered by a layer of fat. Recently however, a buddy of mine instructed me to use high weight with low but slow and methodical reps when doing crunches. I do this by grabbing a 35 pound bench plate behind my head and doing crunches with bicycles following. Ive gone from having a good six pack to having one with MUCH deeper valleys. I know you had said before that abs are naturally flat, but Ive gotten results this way.

Whats the deal?

Maybe you lowered your BF% further.

But there is no doubt that ab muscles CAN be worked and improved. Perhaps you improved yours! Congrats!

It's just that most people think they can get abs by doing ab exercises when they are over 10% BF, and this is just not the case, their abs may be absolutely amazing, but NOBODY will see them :( They are covered by fat. I can only imagine how fit, good and strong some MMA fighter's abs are (Fedor, Roy, Barnett, BJ Penn etc) But we just don't get to see those abs thou those guys do hundreds of sit-ups and crunches daily. They probably got even bigger valleys than you... just all under that fat :D

kensei010
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby kensei010 » Aug 25. 2010, 06:21

I have a question too. Is it possible to lose fat and gain lean muscles with high carb and low protein but high fiber?

I'm Asian so most of my diet composed generally of rice and vegetables. My only source of protein is beans or soy and small amount of meat which is pork. And how much carbs you would require for a small frame lets say 5'8" and weighed 150 lbs.

kusok
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kusok » Aug 25. 2010, 10:44

Lots to think about here, I will try to answer one thing at a time:

kensei010 wrote:I have a question too. Is it possible to lose fat and gain lean muscles

at the same time??? I talked about this in my threads. This is possible, BUT it's a slow road, and only beginners to exercising will demonstrate good results with this strategy.
An already relatively fit person will have a much harder time gaining mass and losing fat at the same time. And advanced trainees can hardly do it at all, even with advanced techniques such as carb cycling, counting calories, weighting food and top of the line professional work-outs. This is because generally speaking gaining mass requires a caloric surplus, and losing fat requires a caloric deficit.

with high carb and low protein but high fiber?

You have to define "low protein". Even vegan and vegetarian bodybuilders and athletes try to get at least 1g/lb protein (150 grams per day for a 150 lbs person). 1g/lean mass is minimum (probably about 135 grams for a 150 lbs person depending on your bodyfat) It is not recommended that you eat less protein than that.

It's really easy to get at least 130 grams protein daily for anyone. Cheap protein-high foods are everywhere: eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, beans, beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fish, duck, protein powders.

I'm Asian so most of my diet composed generally of rice and vegetables. My only source of protein is beans or soy and small amount of meat which is pork. And how much carbs you would require for a small frame lets say 5'8" and weighed 150 lbs.

Carb requirements vary dramatically. Read my threads for more info. Examples: If you're sensitive to carbs - you will need less and can still build muscle (or lose fat). If you play endurance sports seriously - you will need as many carbs as you can get etc.
There is no physiological need for carbs, and it's possible to build muscle on low carb diets, but higher carb intake is generally recommended to all those not allergic to carbs for muscle building. Carbs are useful for that purpose.

steveboy
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby steveboy » Aug 25. 2010, 13:33

lol @ rocknrolla

jyakin
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Location: In Brandao's corner, telling him that greatness lies but a few adjustments away...

Postby jyakin » Aug 25. 2010, 18:20

kusok wrote:
jyakin wrote:Hey Kusok!

Whats the deal?

Maybe you lowered your BF% further.

But there is no doubt that ab muscles CAN be worked and improved. Perhaps you improved yours! Congrats!

It's just that most people think they can get abs by doing ab exercises when they are over 10% BF, and this is just not the case, their abs may be absolutely amazing, but NOBODY will see them :( They are covered by fat. I can only imagine how fit, good and strong some MMA fighter's abs are (Fedor, Roy, Barnett, BJ Penn etc) But we just don't get to see those abs thou those guys do hundreds of sit-ups and crunches daily. They probably got even bigger valleys than you... just all under that fat :D

Cool. Yeah being able to go from beer belly to a six pack by doing crunches even sounds ridiculous. What I saw when I was losing fat, was I attained definition of the obliques first in conjunction with the two upper. The middle two only came with much more work, the final two only became defined for me when I hit 8 percent (ball park).

They probably got even bigger valleys than you... just all under that fat :D

Haha no doubt. If they would lose the fat, they could probably hide they're loose change in there.

kensei010
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby kensei010 » Aug 27. 2010, 06:59

kusok wrote:Lots to think about here, I will try to answer one thing at a time:

kensei010 wrote:I have a question too. Is it possible to lose fat and gain lean muscles

at the same time??? I talked about this in my threads. This is possible, BUT it's a slow road, and only beginners to exercising will demonstrate good results with this strategy.
An already relatively fit person will have a much harder time gaining mass and losing fat at the same time. And advanced trainees can hardly do it at all, even with advanced techniques such as carb cycling, counting calories, weighting food and top of the line professional work-outs. This is because generally speaking gaining mass requires a caloric surplus, and losing fat requires a caloric deficit.

with high carb and low protein but high fiber?

You have to define "low protein". Even vegan and vegetarian bodybuilders and athletes try to get at least 1g/lb protein (150 grams per day for a 150 lbs person). 1g/lean mass is minimum (probably about 135 grams for a 150 lbs person depending on your bodyfat) It is not recommended that you eat less protein than that.

It's really easy to get at least 130 grams protein daily for anyone. Cheap protein-high foods are everywhere: eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, beans, beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fish, duck, protein powders.

Carb requirements vary dramatically. Read my threads for more info. Examples: If you're sensitive to carbs - you will need less and can still build muscle (or lose fat). If you play endurance sports seriously - you will need as many carbs as you can get etc.
There is no physiological need for carbs, and it's possible to build muscle on low carb diets, but higher carb intake is generally recommended to all those not allergic to carbs for muscle building. Carbs are useful for that purpose.

Thanks Kusok, I really appreciate it.

dokkebi8
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby dokkebi8 » Aug 30. 2010, 06:28

kusok. what workout routines in the gym can you suggest for loosing fat. im 5'8 200lbs

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”