Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS DISCUSSION THREAD

Discuss MMA training, nutrition, competing and getting in shape. Share MMA Training and bodybuilding videos. Introduce yourself!
xXxRavenxXx
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Re: DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby xXxRavenxXx » Sep 17. 2015, 11:40

I supplement with:

6 Star Pro-Nutrition Creatine x3 @ 2-5 tabs per day (because I like the pump and extra water in my muscle tissue)

6 Star Pro-Nutrition Pre-Work Out Explosion (again for pump and the addition of some vascularity during and post workout)

6 Star Whey Protein + (Good protein product with added creatine, essential aminos and Glutamine) I use here and there to make 5-6 meals per day

6 Star Pro-Nutrition Creatine 100% (crystals) I mix with Explosion or Protein + here and there)

Kirkland (Costco brand) 100% Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil (Omega 3's @ 1200mg's x 3 per day)

Jamieson Brand Vitamin D (1 per day)

Jamieson Brand Vitamin's B6 & B12

Kirkland - Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM tablet 1-2 per day depending on condition of joints

I've spent tons of money on all sorts of supplements since I was a teenager, most of which were IMO useless and much of which was either under dosed or simply did not work. I've taken everything from 4-6 squirts of Smilax Officianalis under the tongue daily to worthless Weider Amino Acid rock pellets. Pro-hormones before they became banned where I live (all they supplied were the side effects of anabolics without any results!) The list I take above is what I've found to work for me. I take way too much creatine but I don't care, I only take it to the point where it stops being effective then I back off. The rest are all things that I've benefited from to varying degrees.

The cost is not cheap but that is why I choose the brand names I listed carefully. Six Star Pro-Nutrition is owned by Muscle Tech (which has the best rep in the business IMHO) so you're getting the same quality products in many cases at less than half the price. 6 Star is their Walmart brand and I can easily get all those 6 star products I take for the month for about $60. Jamieson is Shopper's Drug Mart (I think) and Costco is the best place to pick up your Omega's and other regular vit/min because of the sheer savings by buying 6 months at a time.

I do not take a multivitamin or mineral because I don't need it. I take Vit C from time to time but I get all the vit/min from my foods.

I'm not natty, so I take a whole shit load of other things on top of that, but that's for another thread :mrgreen:

You might need to turn off AdBlock

MajorBA
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby MajorBA » Sep 21. 2015, 17:51

xXxRavenxXx wrote:I supplement with:

6 Star Pro-Nutrition Creatine x3 @ 2-5 tabs per day (because I like the pump and extra water in my muscle tissue)

6 Star Pro-Nutrition Pre-Work Out Explosion (again for pump and the addition of some vascularity during and post workout)

6 Star Whey Protein + (Good protein product with added creatine, essential aminos and Glutamine) I use here and there to make 5-6 meals per day

6 Star Pro-Nutrition Creatine 100% (crystals) I mix with Explosion or Protein + here and there)

Kirkland (Costco brand) 100% Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil (Omega 3's @ 1200mg's x 3 per day)

Jamieson Brand Vitamin D (1 per day)

Jamieson Brand Vitamin's B6 & B12

Kirkland - Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM tablet 1-2 per day depending on condition of joints

I've spent tons of money on all sorts of supplements since I was a teenager, most of which were IMO useless and much of which was either under dosed or simply did not work. I've taken everything from 4-6 squirts of Smilax Officianalis under the tongue daily to worthless Weider Amino Acid rock pellets. Pro-hormones before they became banned where I live (all they supplied were the side effects of anabolics without any results!) The list I take above is what I've found to work for me. I take way too much creatine but I don't care, I only take it to the point where it stops being effective then I back off. The rest are all things that I've benefited from to varying degrees.

The cost is not cheap but that is why I choose the brand names I listed carefully. Six Star Pro-Nutrition is owned by Muscle Tech (which has the best rep in the business IMHO) so you're getting the same quality products in many cases at less than half the price. 6 Star is their Walmart brand and I can easily get all those 6 star products I take for the month for about $60. Jamieson is Shopper's Drug Mart (I think) and Costco is the best place to pick up your Omega's and other regular vit/min because of the sheer savings by buying 6 months at a time.

I do not take a multivitamin or mineral because I don't need it. I take Vit C from time to time but I get all the vit/min from my foods.

I'm not natty, so I take a whole shit load of other things on top of that, but that's for another thread :mrgreen:

All that creatine, you must be carrying a lot of water from volumization. Careful not to press on your biceps, you might poke a hole in them and leak it all out. I quote Mr. Whipple: " Please don't squeeze the Charmin"!
"Posts not seen can never be recalled."-MajorBA

xXxRavenxXx
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby xXxRavenxXx » Sep 21. 2015, 18:45

Haha...yeah, it's a lot of creatine...sometimes I take less, but way more than most people for sure.

I'm not all squishy and watery! :mrgreen:

I take things aside from those supplements that make it nearly impossible to be squishy and watery.

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Location: DOGPAIL INDUSTRIES: A legendary movement run by Phteves

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Sep 21. 2015, 20:38

xXxRavenxXx wrote:Haha...yeah, it's a lot of creatine...sometimes I take less, but way more than most people for sure.

I'm not all squishy and watery! :mrgreen:

I take things aside from those supplements that make it nearly impossible to be squishy and watery.

also you want to be careful where u buy fish oils, if theyre not handled properly theres often impurities and also it wont keep... fish oils go from very good for you to very bad once they become rancid (oxidized)... out of all the supplements ever to take oils I wouldnt cheap out on ever, some of these ridiculous companies actually have clear bottles too... idiots dont know the oils are light sensitive.

my two cents worth...

xXxRavenxXx
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby xXxRavenxXx » Sep 21. 2015, 20:43

Thanks for the info.

As far as the fish oils go, the ones I purchased are 100% Wild Alaskan Salmon oil. The container is clear (I know!), but I store it out of light. Of course...who knows where it was stored before I got it :mrgreen:

I did not realize they could oxidize like that...hmmm...well, as far as quality of product, the Costco ones I picked up seem pretty good.

Do you supplement with them? I'm wondering if it's better to get a 1-2 month supply at a time instead of the huge 5-6 month container.

I'm open to any advice, thoughts, suggestions.

Just curious...if you could only use 3 supplements...which would you want to have?

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Sep 21. 2015, 21:08

xXxRavenxXx wrote:Thanks for the info.

As far as the fish oils go, the ones I purchased are 100% Wild Alaskan Salmon oil. The container is clear (I know!), but I store it out of light. Of course...who knows where it was stored before I got it :mrgreen:

I did not realize they could oxidize like that...hmmm...well, as far as quality of product, the Costco ones I picked up seem pretty good.

Do you supplement with them? I'm wondering if it's better to get a 1-2 month supply at a time instead of the huge 5-6 month container.

I'm open to any advice, thoughts, suggestions.

Just curious...if you could only use 3 supplements...which would you want to have?

its depends if you have any health concerns/goals.... also depends on the season and what your diet is like.

...in short: a good multi, fish oil and probiotic

winter/fall id add vitamin D (and C as needed)

for performance b vits and adrenal support if needed

liver support after a bender and digestive enzymes kicking around for overeating (holidays, buffets, any suspicious foods :D )

with any supplement company find out if they have something called 3rd party testing, which means a non-biased company comes in and tests their claims... if they dont even know how to answer this question then run ;)

xXxRavenxXx
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby xXxRavenxXx » Sep 21. 2015, 21:13

All good advice

I take something called HepaStrong for my liver (while I'm running Tren)

I don't take probiotics at all, other than what comes in the odd yogurt I have here and there. What benefits specifically have you found from supplementing with them? I used to have all sorts of problems being regular/too regular :mrgreen: but ever since I cleaned up my diet it hasn't been much of a problem.

Cheers

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Sep 21. 2015, 22:06

xXxRavenxXx wrote:All good advice

I don't take probiotics at all, other than what comes in the odd yogurt I have here and there. What benefits specifically have you found from supplementing with them? I used to have all sorts of problems being regular/too regular :mrgreen: but ever since I cleaned up my diet it hasn't been much of a problem.

Cheers

most of our body's health begins and ends in the GUT. Promoting good gut bacteria is instrumental in keeping the body in balance... if you dont want to shell out for probiotics fermented foods are also VERY high in good bacteria (sauer kraut, kimchi etc...) Yogurt is not bad but not high enough if youre really looking to reculture your gut with good bacteria. Go plain organic yogurt if any, it will have more anti-oxidants and none of the added sugar (which throws the gut right off)... dairy products tend to leave a mucousy aftermath so I like to mix in the fermented foods as well

xXxRavenxXx
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby xXxRavenxXx » Sep 21. 2015, 22:28

RICH_DOGPAIL wrote:

Cheers

most of our body's health begins and ends in the GUT. Promoting good gut bacteria is instrumental in keeping the body in balance... if you dont want to shell out for probiotics fermented foods are also VERY high in good bacteria (sauer kraut, kimchi etc...) Yogurt is not bad but not high enough if youre really looking to reculture your gut with good bacteria. Go plain organic yogurt if any, it will have more anti-oxidants and none of the added sugar (which throws the gut right off)... dairy products tend to leave a mucousy aftermath so I like to mix in the fermented foods as well

Thx dude.

Dendra
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Dendra » Sep 21. 2015, 23:27

Floyduss wrote:Have been taking AlphaBrain for roughly a week. At first I couldn't really feel anything MAJOR. My mind did feel a little clearer and was able to think 'better' I guess. I took 2 days off it and took some last night before bed. I could immediately feel the difference. I certainly felt like my brain was working better. I also had the craziest dreams. I can still remember them (2days later) which is pretty cool. I'd definetely say my dreams have been more vivid. Though it's definetely not the wonder pill Joe Rogan yapped on about.

I would buy them again.

Onnit suppl:
Tried Alpha Brain, didn't really notice a difference in any aspect - maybe shoulda upped the dosage but cba test again with better stuff to spend cash on.

Shroom tech - I noticed the effect immediately, evaporating through your skin during the warm-up (took pills ~30mins before a workout/competition), so at least physically something was going on. In terms of aerobic benefits, it's not conclusive but I would say there was a 15-20% improvement - I'm currently in a much better shape so should do another test to compare the results.

Hemp protein - way better than whey, not heavy on your intestines and much tastier, I can gobble through buckets of those if you let me. Only problem is that for the price of one hemp protein you can get five times more whey protein, so in that sense it's pricey.
----

Myprotein suppl.:
Just ordered these supplements to try em out...
Omega 3 - 1000 mg 18% EPA / 12% DHA
Creatine Monohydrate
Glutamine
MP Max BCAA 1500
Impact Whey Isolate

Another thing I got my eyes on is a good Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM tablet.
Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Sep 22. 2015, 11:46

Dendra wrote:
Floyduss wrote:Have been taking AlphaBrain for roughly a week. At first I couldn't really feel anything MAJOR. My mind did feel a little clearer and was able to think 'better' I guess. I took 2 days off it and took some last night before bed. I could immediately feel the difference. I certainly felt like my brain was working better. I also had the craziest dreams. I can still remember them (2days later) which is pretty cool. I'd definetely say my dreams have been more vivid. Though it's definetely not the wonder pill Joe Rogan yapped on about.

I would buy them again.

Onnit suppl:
Tried Alpha Brain, didn't really notice a difference in any aspect - maybe shoulda upped the dosage but cba test again with better stuff to spend cash on.

Shroom tech - I noticed the effect immediately, evaporating through your skin during the warm-up (took pills ~30mins before a workout/competition), so at least physically something was going on. In terms of aerobic benefits, it's not conclusive but I would say there was a 15-20% improvement - I'm currently in a much better shape so should do another test to compare the results.

Hemp protein - way better than whey, not heavy on your intestines and much tastier, I can gobble through buckets of those if you let me. Only problem is that for the price of one hemp protein you can get five times more whey protein, so in that sense it's pricey.
----

Myprotein suppl.:
Just ordered these supplements to try em out...
Omega 3 - 1000 mg 18% EPA / 12% DHA
Creatine Monohydrate
Glutamine
MP Max BCAA 1500
Impact Whey Isolate

Another thing I got my eyes on is a good Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM tablet.

Highly disagree that Hemp is a better protein than Whey.... it depends on what youre looking for, its great for vegans (better than rice and pea protein) but if youre looking to muscle build nothing is better than undenatured whey isolate. Its expensive but it has so many helath benefits from raising glutathione, being ok for lactose intolerant people, bossting immune capabilities and being highly absorbed as a clean protein structure... mind you this isnt the whey you find on most shelves, you gotta look for this one.

theres alot of controversy about chondroitin as its such a large structure many people believe it cant pass the cellular membrane, all the same that doesnt mean its useless. Glucosamine has worked for some people only you have to use it in high doses and EVRYDAY, this cant be a once in awhile thing for maximum effect and once you stop using it all your symptoms come back (for that reason its a great product to sell). MSM is great and I have seen studies that it even helps remove heavy metals form the body.... not sure how reliable these are but hey this is natural medicine and huge studies will rarely be funded.

ya im not sure I would take nutritional advice from Joe Rogan... and im confused why anyone would use mushrooms for weight training (great for cancer/toxicity/immune ftn) but there are better ways to go for weight/cardio training.

my two cents

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Sep 22. 2015, 11:48

xXxRavenxXx wrote:
RICH_DOGPAIL wrote:

Cheers

Thx dude.

your welcome bro, good luck!

bodda777
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby bodda777 » Dec 13. 2015, 05:34

how do i get bigger but more toned without using those protein shakes etc, Just eating more times a day, high protein foods?

MajorBA
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby MajorBA » Dec 13. 2015, 16:59

bodda777 wrote:how do i get bigger but more toned without using those protein shakes etc, Just eating more times a day, high protein foods?

Ya, do all that but don't forget the main ingredient: Lift heavy weights all the time. No recipe works without that part.
"Posts not seen can never be recalled."-MajorBA

Return to “MMA Training & Bodybuilding”