Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Owen Roddy on Khabib Nurmagomedov: “If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you…”

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
ellerbrun420
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP
Location: In Cleveland, lookin' for one of those steamers everyone's talking about

Re: Owen Roddy on Khabib Nurmagomedov: “If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you…”

Postby ellerbrun420 » May 4. 2018, 20:35

Kizzo wrote:
ellerbrun420 wrote:xSamWaynex:^^

To be fair Diaz had a height and reach advantage over Conor and was able to pepper him with punches from the outside before finally landing enough to cause Conor to make a mistake and shoot in for a take down out of apparent desperation. Had Conor not gone for the TD the fight might have gone differently, but that of course is nothing more than speculation on my part ya know? I am not saying that Khabib can't or won't submit Conor if they fight, I'm just saying it more than likely won't go down the same way as it did in the Diaz fight. Khabib will have to get inside to be able to manhandle Conor to get him to the ground. He has been able to do this with everyone he has fought so far, but all it takes is one clean shot from Conor to put most fighters in the LW division to sleep. And since every fight starts on the feet there is a good chance that Conor will be able to land a clean shot on Khabib before Khabib can ever get him to the ground.
All you are doing is explaining why McGregor lost.....that's irrelevant.
You claim he can sleep the majority or LW's and wasn't able to do it to the only one he faced twice...he has "slept" one guy in the UFC.

The fight with Nate was at WW.

Oh yeah!
I forgot how much more durable Nates chin is when he weights 170lbs as compared to 155lbs. That extra 15 lbs must be pure chin and neck muscle.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Re: Owen Roddy on Khabib Nurmagomedov: “If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you…”

Postby xSamWaynex » May 4. 2018, 21:35

ellerbrun420 wrote:All you are doing is explaining why McGregor lost.....that's irrelevant.
You claim he can sleep the majority or LW's and wasn't able to do it to the only one he faced twice...he has "slept" one guy in the UFC.

How is explaining why something happened irrelevant? I take it you're not much of an intellectual? How something happened is often times just as important as the event itself. As far as the rest of your comment, he may have only put one guy completely out in the UFC, but he has gotten a lot more TKO's than that. Are you seriously saying that Conor couldn't possibly get the TKO against someone like Khabib? Look at what Eddie had to say about being hit by Conor in an interview with Fox Sports "The shot he hit me with, yeah, I think I threw a shot and he came over the top cause I don't even remember, I just remember being on the floor and I was like wow that was quick." https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/eddie-alvarez-explains-what-went-wrong-against-conor-mcgregor-111416 Eddie Alvarez is known to have one hell of a chin, and yet look at what he said about being hit by Conor. I can tell from your responses that you don't like Conor, and that's fine, but don't be salty just to be salty....have a point behind it if you're going to be okay man?
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » May 4. 2018, 21:41

ellerbrun420 wrote:
Kizzo wrote:
ellerbrun420 wrote:xSamWaynex:^^

To be fair Diaz had a height and reach advantage over Conor and was able to pepper him with punches from the outside before finally landing enough to cause Conor to make a mistake and shoot in for a take down out of apparent desperation. Had Conor not gone for the TD the fight might have gone differently, but that of course is nothing more than speculation on my part ya know? I am not saying that Khabib can't or won't submit Conor if they fight, I'm just saying it more than likely won't go down the same way as it did in the Diaz fight. Khabib will have to get inside to be able to manhandle Conor to get him to the ground. He has been able to do this with everyone he has fought so far, but all it takes is one clean shot from Conor to put most fighters in the LW division to sleep. And since every fight starts on the feet there is a good chance that Conor will be able to land a clean shot on Khabib before Khabib can ever get him to the ground.
All you are doing is explaining why McGregor lost.....that's irrelevant.

The fight with Nate was at WW.

Oh yeah!
I forgot how much more durable Nates chin is when he weights 170lbs as compared to 155lbs. That extra 15 lbs must be pure chin and neck muscle.

I don't think you understand why Kizzo was saying the fight was at WW man. The fight being at WW actually caused Conor to have to put on weight, as he had previously been cutting weight to hit 155 to fight RDA before the fight was replaced with Diaz at pretty much the last minute. Conor had to gain about 12 lbs in a relatively short amount of time. Cutting weight before a fight is actually a little easier than putting on weight before a fight. Because of this Conor wasn't in his best shape, and it showed in his cardio and technique which started to become quite unrefined toward the end of the fight. But then again, all I was doing was EXPLAINING the fight to you, and I know how much you hate having something explained to you hahahahahahahaha. 
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Synergy » May 5. 2018, 01:20

Kizzo wrote:Why don't you reference the 2nd fight where Conor went all 5 rounds and beat Nate? :lol: Not to forget Conor had several knockdowns on Nate. Nate just happens to have a great chin and is a bigger guy with one of the best cardio.

The "bigger guy" narrative has been really pushed by the UFC after Coner got subbed, to make the loss look better and not lose Conor too many fans. Nate fought most of his career at Lightweight and was/is a mid tier lightweight who never even came close to winning the title. Conor now fights in the same division and multiple sources have stated he can no longer make the weight at Featherweight. In short Nate is just taller, not bigger guy as they fight in the same divison.
   You bring up the second fight. All right lets discus that. Nate fought Conor close even in the second fight and won a majority decision. Compare that to Benson Henderson & Dos Anjos getting unanimous decision and off course Josh Thomson KOing Nate. So that second Conor Nate fight was anything but impressive, as Conor faded as Nate came on strong and I think Conor made one final push in the 5th rounds (going by memory and might be wrong). Basically that fight did nothing to show Conor has a great gas tank, something he will need to rely on if he gets taken down in the first round.
   I think he landed one clean punch on Mayweather who was sleepwalking that exhibition match, so fans could get to watch a few rounds and again we saw Conor fade into oblivion and barely able to stand.
   As for Nate vs Khabib. Think this is the most easiest match to predict. A fighter with no KO power and who hates wresting vs an elite wrestler. Its a no brainer. Not many givens in MMA but an elite wrestler mauling the Diaz brothers is definitely one of them.

So we finally come to crux. McGregor is a fantastic fighter. His KO of Aldo and beating Alvarez was bloody impressive. Didn't think he could do either and he did both with shocking ease, so it wouldn't be a crazy if he KO's Khabib. However if I had to guess, I'd say Khabib takes him down, exhausts him in round 1 & 2 and makes him tap in round 3 (though I still don't believe that he will accept that fight).

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » May 5. 2018, 01:33

^^

I get what you're saying, and in some spots I can even agree with your assessment. However the one thing I do take issue with is you saying that Conor only got in one good hit on Mayweather, and that Mayweather basically let him do it. The first four rounds saw Conor winning the fight, and it saw Mayweather turtle up and turn his back to Conor. Mayweather turtling up and turning his back actually goes against the WBO rules. In pretty much any other fight the ref would've stopped it as soon as a fighter turtled up and turned their back toward their opponent more than once in a single round. But because of how much money and the prestige of boxing being somewhat on the line as well, the ref allowed the rules to be continuously broken, and that goes for both fighters as Conor also did rabbit punches many times as well and didn't get called for it.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » May 5. 2018, 05:56

Synergy wrote:The "bigger guy" narrative has been really pushed by the UFC after Coner got subbed, to make the loss look better and not lose Conor too many fans.

Size matters, bro. Don't ever recall UFC ever pushing the "bigger guy" narrative. Care to provide a UFC promo where they talk about the size?

Syngery wrote:In short Nate is just taller, not bigger guy as they fight in the same divison.

Actually, this is not true. Nate walks at a much bigger weight than Conor. Nate can't make featherweight.

Synergy wrote:and off course Josh Thomson KOing Nate.

Now, you're just being dishonest.

Synergy wrote:So that second Conor Nate fight was anything but impressive, as Conor faded as Nate came on strong and I think Conor made one final push in the 5th rounds (going by memory and might be wrong). Basically that fight did nothing to show Conor has a great gas tank, something he will need to rely on if he gets taken down in the first round.

Actually, it showed that the reason why Conor lost the first fight was because he didn't use his energy efficiently as he went the full 5 rounds and he even picked up his cardio in the later rounds which surprised some people.

Synergy wrote:I think he landed one clean punch on Mayweather who was sleepwalking that exhibition match, so fans could get to watch a few rounds and again we saw Conor fade into oblivion and barely able to stand.

He actually landed more than just one clean punch. Mayweather was fighting more offensively, yes, but sleepwalking? No.

Boxers have better cardio than MMA fighters. See sparring match between Aldo and Garcia where Aldo is visibly more tired than Garcia. I'm surprised you don't know this.

If MJ landed on Khabib, then Conor is going to land on Khabib when it's standing since Conor is the much better striker and more accurate one with more power.

Synergy wrote:As for Nate vs Khabib. Think this is the most easiest match to predict. A fighter with no KO power and who hates wresting vs an elite wrestler. Its a no brainer. Not many givens in MMA but an elite wrestler mauling the Diaz brothers is definitely one of them.

He's got 4 TKO's.  Never said Nate would beat Khabib. If it's a no brainer, then go ahead and bet all your money in your bank account on it. We both know you're not that confident of it to do that. That's the point I was making. Won't know until the fight.

Synergy wrote:So we finally come to crux. McGregor is a fantastic fighter. His KO of Aldo and beating Alvarez was bloody impressive. Didn't think he could do either and he did both with shocking ease, so it wouldn't be a crazy if he KO's Khabib.

Yes, I can agree with you on this point.

Synergy wrote:However if I had to guess, I'd say Khabib takes him down, exhausts him in round 1 & 2 and makes him tap in round 3 (though I still don't believe that he will accept that fight).

Or Conor could just KO/TKO him in round 1 or 2 like he did to Aldo or Alvarez. Won't know until the fight happens which is yet to be seen given Conor may get suspended and if Tony or anyone else doesn't beat Khabib before.

CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

unmapped
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby unmapped » May 5. 2018, 11:24

conor was getting mauled by chad and does some insane reversal. never doubt conor.  also on his partying downswing while khabib will be fresh and his smartest opponent so far

if it was the conor that showed up vs eddie or a better version id give him 50 50. 
but right after he did lose to floyd too similar in a way against nate that i would give khabib the edge

Return to “MMA TALK”