Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Owen Roddy on Khabib Nurmagomedov: “If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you…”

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Owen Roddy on Khabib Nurmagomedov: “If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you…”

Postby Robert223 » Apr 27. 2018, 03:32

Owen Roddy believes Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov is the fight to make, and there are holes to exploit in the Russian’s game.

As Khabib Nurmagomedov has risen to the top of the UFC lightweight division, there haven’t been many detractors away from praising his obvious grappling ability.

The Russian has manhandled everyone he’s faced in the cage, most recently with a pair of maulings over Edson Barboza and Al Iaquinta. But, while Nurmagomedov’s performances have been well put together and impressive, the one fight fans are still calling for is a bout with rival Conor McGregor.

Whether it’s due to the near-mystic quality McGregor’s confidence carries, or the fact it’s a fascinating styles match-up, McGregor remains one of the few names in the lightweight division that a bout with Nurmagomedov doesn’t already have an easily predictable outcome.

Certainly, it’s the fight McGregor’s striking coach Owen Roddy believes is the one to take.

“There’s been a lot of talk about this Khabib fight,” Roddy said, speaking to the BBC MMA Show. “And it seems to be brewing towards this one. … Khabib is doing very well fighting-wise — I see holes in his game — but he’s building a big ruckus. He’s calling [McGregor] now, and people are getting behind him and it’s starting to build to that tipping point. I’m sure we’ll see that fight.”

If that’s the fight to make, then it seems the only question remaining is the location. Last year UFC president Dana White raised eyebrows when he revealed McGregor had pitched the idea of clashing with Nurmagomedov in Russia.
According to Roddy, that’s definitely an idea McGregor’s considering.

“Conor’s a mad thing,” Roddy said. “Conor turned around to me after the Mayweather fight and said, ‘There’s talk of me fighting Khabib. I might do it in Russia. We’ll do it like Rocky, we’ll go to Siberia and we’ll train in the snow. I’ll get one of those yokes to put on my shoulders and get the lats’, and I was crying with laughter. He was serious, dead serious. He does mad things. That’s what we love him for. There’s not many people who would do that. That would be an exciting fight, but I don’t know what’s going to happen next. But I would like to see it.”

Currently, Nurmagomedov represents one of the unsolved puzzles at 155-pounds. No matter who he’s faced, the Dagestani has been able to get his hands on his opponent and drag them to the mat, controlling them on the canvas and landing heavy shots from the top.

Despite that apparent unstoppable pressure, Roddy believes he’s seen things in Nurmagomedov’s game that Team McGregor can exploit.

“At the end of the day, Khabib hasn’t finished many fights lately,” Roddy said. “Now he always says he does that on purpose, but I don’t think so. If you’re going to go in and finish somebody, you go in and finish somebody. He says, ‘I like punish people for five rounds’, I always say, ‘If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you..'. So even if he went in and didn’t land the first round, or the second, or the third, or the fourth, he still has five attempts to land one shot. I’ve seen Conor McGregor go in and land within the first thirty seconds of the first round.”

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/o ... -mcgregor/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Re: Owen Roddy on Khabib Nurmagomedov: “If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you…”

Postby Kizzo » Apr 27. 2018, 06:15

Robert223 wrote:Image

Now imagine if that was Conor's left connecting.

phpBB [video]
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Owen Roddy on Khabib Nurmagomedov: “If you’re going to give Conor McGregor five attempts to land a shot on you…”

Postby 770 » Apr 27. 2018, 06:23

Kizzo wrote:
Robert223 wrote:Image

Now imagine if that was Conor's left connecting.

:c ;)

Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby Lukeo » Apr 27. 2018, 19:08

Yeah, But it better be in the early rounds. Probably round one or its hulk smashing time.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Apr 28. 2018, 06:09

If this fight were to happen I could honestly see McGregor landing a clean left hand and putting Khabib to sleep. Khabib has been hit several times before, and while he has taken those punches with minimal effort, being hit by Conor is a completely different story. It's not so much the power Conor has, but the timing and precision. He has shown this time and time again in MMA. That's not taking anything away from Khabib either as I'm sure if Conor didn't land a good clean shot it would be a long night for McGregor and a win for Khabib.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Synergy » May 3. 2018, 02:21

No doubt Conor could connect and KO Khabib. He has done that time and time again to many MMA superstars.
Thing is he needs to do that in round one or max by round 2. Conor does not have a gas tank and both his takedown defense and ground game isn't elite. So if Khabib gets him there, his face will become mush.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » May 3. 2018, 03:32

^^

To be fair Diaz had a height and reach advantage over Conor and was able to pepper him with punches from the outside before finally landing enough to cause Conor to make a mistake and shoot in for a take down out of apparent desperation. Had Conor not gone for the TD the fight might have gone differently, but that of course is nothing more than speculation on my part ya know? I am not saying that Khabib can't or won't submit Conor if they fight, I'm just saying it more than likely won't go down the same way as it did in the Diaz fight. Khabib will have to get inside to be able to manhandle Conor to get him to the ground. He has been able to do this with everyone he has fought so far, but all it takes is one clean shot from Conor to put most fighters in the LW division to sleep. And since every fight starts on the feet there is a good chance that Conor will be able to land a clean shot on Khabib before Khabib can ever get him to the ground.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » May 3. 2018, 05:02

Synergy wrote:No doubt Conor could connect and KO Khabib. He has done that time and time again to many MMA superstars.
Thing is he needs to do that in round one or max by round 2. Conor does not have a gas tank and both his takedown defense and ground game isn't elite. So if Khabib gets him there, his face will become mush.

Why don't you reference the 2nd fight where Conor went all 5 rounds and beat Nate? :lol: Not to forget Conor had several knockdowns on Nate. Nate just happens to have a great chin and is a bigger guy with one of the best cardio.

phpBB [video]

Conor's going to connect when it's standing.
Last edited by Kizzo on May 3. 2018, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby Lukeo » May 3. 2018, 05:14

Khabib would destroy Nate.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » May 3. 2018, 05:39

Lukeo wrote:Khabib would destroy Nate.

Maybe or maybe not. Won't know until they fight.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby Lukeo » May 3. 2018, 08:57

Kizzo wrote:

Fair chance it'd be a bit like the RDA fight.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » May 3. 2018, 11:00

Lukeo wrote:
Kizzo wrote:

Fair chance it'd be a bit like the RDA fight.

It's possible, but not a certainty. Won't really know until the fight. It's MMA after all. No such thing as a safe bet. ;)
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

ellerbrun420
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP
Location: In Cleveland, lookin' for one of those steamers everyone's talking about

Postby ellerbrun420 » May 4. 2018, 18:07

xSamWaynex:^^

To be fair Diaz had a height and reach advantage over Conor and was able to pepper him with punches from the outside before finally landing enough to cause Conor to make a mistake and shoot in for a take down out of apparent desperation. Had Conor not gone for the TD the fight might have gone differently, but that of course is nothing more than speculation on my part ya know? I am not saying that Khabib can't or won't submit Conor if they fight, I'm just saying it more than likely won't go down the same way as it did in the Diaz fight. Khabib will have to get inside to be able to manhandle Conor to get him to the ground. He has been able to do this with everyone he has fought so far, but all it takes is one clean shot from Conor to put most fighters in the LW division to sleep. And since every fight starts on the feet there is a good chance that Conor will be able to land a clean shot on Khabib before Khabib can ever get him to the ground.
All you are doing is explaining why McGregor lost.....that's irrelevant.
You claim he can sleep the majority or LW's and wasn't able to do it to the only one he faced twice...he has "slept" one guy in the UFC.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » May 4. 2018, 19:52

ellerbrun420 wrote:xSamWaynex:^^

All you are doing is explaining why McGregor lost.....that's irrelevant.
You claim he can sleep the majority or LW's and wasn't able to do it to the only one he faced twice...he has "slept" one guy in the UFC.

The fight with Nate was at WW.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

Return to “MMA TALK”