Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Eddie Alvarez unimpressed with Khabib Nurmagomedov: You beat number 11 to be champion. Pray on that during Ramadan.

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Eddie Alvarez unimpressed with Khabib Nurmagomedov: You beat number 11 to be champion. Pray on that during Ramadan.

Postby Robert223 » Apr 24. 2018, 17:35

Eddie Alvarez wasn’t swayed by Khabib Nurmagomedov’s dominant win over Al Iaquinta.

When Khabib Nurmagomedov walked out of UFC 223 with the UFC lightweight championship, most were thoroughly impressed with the manner of his dominant victory over Al Iaquinta.

Most, but not all. You can strike former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez off those showering the Russian with plaudits. According to him, Nurmagomedov’s new title reign should be viewed with the fact that he defeated the then ranked eleventh Iaquinta to become champion.

So, while Alvarez isn’t exactly furious at what’s happening at 155-pounds, he’s not overly impressed either.

“Look if I made the decisions around here this company would be run a lot differently,” Alvarez said backstage at UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs.Gaethje (H/T to MMAJunkie). “Honestly, it wouldn’t make too much money at all. You don’t want me making the decisions around here, bro.“

“Should [Khabib defend against Conor]? Who knows. Is he going to? Probably if he wants to. So we’re going to let Khabib make his money,” Alvarez said. “What’s funny about this whole thing is: Khabib wasn’t a champion. Now he’s a champion — after beating [ranked] no. 11. Let’s just get that out in the open. He says, ‘paper champion, who’s fake champion, who’s real champion’.“

“You beat no. 11, and now you’re champion. Think on that, pray on that during Ramadan. Think about that.”

According to Alvarez, his own run to the title (which he won in 2016) was far more impressive and fitting of a championship title win.

“When I fought for the title, when I fought for the world title, I literally fought number 5, 4, 3, 2 and then 1,” he said. “I fought a champion, a guy who was a champion, who had a belt. That’s a real champion. I’ll continue to fight the best and I’ll wait my turn. I’ll let the UFC do their job and pick who’s next in line and I’ll be waiting there for all of them.”

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/e ... -champion/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Bakke
H.O.F. CRI4
H.O.F. CRI4

Re: Eddie Alvarez unimpressed with Khabib Nurmagomedov: You beat number 11 to be champion. Pray on that during Ramadan.

Postby Bakke » Apr 24. 2018, 17:46

True..Tony is still the real champion. He beat a real contender for the belt. Rebook the fight, and if Tony pulls out again then there is a real case to strip him for the title.

No hate against Khabib though. He tried to fight Ferguson and Holloway. Not his fault they couldnt make it to the fight.
"Josh Emmett didnt fucking move" - Microsoft Office 95

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Re: Eddie Alvarez unimpressed with Khabib Nurmagomedov: You beat number 11 to be champion. Pray on that during Ramadan.

Postby ikor » Apr 25. 2018, 02:20

I liked Alvarez but he is turning into a bum now. He is a warrior, no doubt but his path in UFC is not really the best. One loss, two wins by split decision, surprising win against RDA, impressive loss by McGregor (he should still be somewhere sitting and crying), one no contest (I actually blame him or better his instinct to survive) and win against I don't wrestle guy (that one was good, but after Poirier vs Gaethje fight, I don't know).

UFC wanted to take away belt from McGregor and give new things to talk about. This title fight was simply the best solution and Nurmagomedov at the moment deserves this belt. Let say, this fight would not happen. McGregor would still be champ (he doesn't fight, blabla, all the talk continues but less and less), Ferguson is out till the end of the year (but he is still intermediate champ...), Nurmagomedov is back at the end of the year (so nothing for 6 months). Do you want to see a title fight between Alvarez and Gaethje (imagine being Alvarez a champ once again, after that loss against McGregor...).

The things are in the wright place now and I hope we'll see first title defense at the end of this year and a lot of interesting fights in the near future.

unmapped
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby unmapped » Apr 25. 2018, 02:45

eds fault the lw division went to shit. that and rdas toe

Return to “MMA TALK”