Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Holloway vs. Ortega title fight set for UFC 226 *POLL*

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.

Who ya got!?

Blessed
50%
T-City
50%

Total votes: 8

moose84
News Pimp
News Pimp
Location: 6x CRI Champ - XV~LX~LXXX~LXXXI~CVII~CXV, 10x VIP Invitational Champ, 2x LMS Champ - I & VIII

Holloway vs. Ortega title fight set for UFC 226 *POLL*

Postby moose84 » Apr 21. 2018, 00:52

Max Holloway will get his desired date and location for his next UFC featherweight title defense.

A matchup between Holloway (19-3 MMA, 15-3 UFC) and top contender Brian Ortega (14-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) is set for UFC 226.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the booking to multiple outlets after MMAjunkie reported earlier that the bout was close to being finalized, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.

UFC 226 takes place July 7 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Holloway vs. Ortega is expected to co-headline the pay-per-view main card following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.

For Holloway, 26, the matchup hopefully will mark a return to normalcy in his career. The Hawaiian’s chaotic year began with him forced to withdraw from a fight for the first time in his career against Frankie Edgar at UFC 222 in March. Holloway suffered an ankle injury and was targeting a July return, but then a replacement opportunity popped up at UFC 223 earlier this month.

After Tony Ferguson withdrew from the UFC 223 headliner with less than a week out, Holloway accepted a lightweight title bout with Khabib Nurmagomedov. He cut a significant amount of weight in the short time period in his attempts to make 155 pounds and become a dual UFC champion, but Holloway was pulled from the card on weigh-in day after being deemed “medically unfit” to continue cutting weight.

Now Holloway, No. 1 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings, will return to his weight class and go for his second title defense after getting his first with a third-round TKO of Jose Aldo in their rematch at UFC 218 in December.

No. 2-ranked Ortega, 27, will get a crack at UFC gold after Holloway opened the door for him. When “Blessed” pulled out of UFC 222, Ortega stepped in as an injury replacement to fight Edgar. He stunned the former UFC champ with a first-round knockout to solidify his title shot.

“T-City” is unbeaten over the course of his career and has finished every opponent he’s encountered inside the octagon. That list includes the likes of Edgar, Cub Swanson, Renato Moicano, and Clay Guida.

Ortega will try to add Holloway’s name to the list while simultaneously claiming his first UFC belt.

The latest UFC 226 card includes:

Champ Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier – for heavyweight title
Champ Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega – for featherweight title
Raphael Assuncao vs. Rob Font
Khalil Rountree vs. Gokhan Saki
Yancy Medeiros vs. Mike Perry
Paulo Costa vs. Uriah Hall
Derrick Lewis vs. Francis Ngannou

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/max-holloway-vs-brian-ortega-ufc-226-las-vegas
LEATHER, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER! - PAT MILETICH

WHO WANTS A KO FOR CHRISTMAS! - FRANK SHAMROCK

MMI & OCT VS. DPI & GUS - MEXICAN STANDOFF

MajorBA
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Holloway vs. Ortega title fight set for UFC 226 *POLL*

Postby MajorBA » Apr 21. 2018, 12:33

Holloway stops The Nightstalker's run.
"If they will play fair I will play fair, but if they won't then I reserve all my rights to do anything I find myself able to do."-William Howard Taft

"We can't cure stupid, but we can alleviate it's symptoms."-MajorBA

hippielove
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby hippielove » Apr 21. 2018, 19:54

T-City all day long:fb
★ Peace, Love ★ Happiness stuff ★

HandSofIgor
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby HandSofIgor » Apr 22. 2018, 23:39

Gotta go with blessed on this one... Wish there was more contender for t city.. seems a lil early for him IMO... But should be a barn burner.. I see max keeping it on the feet for 5.. and getting the ud
(" Listen up. If you troll, be prepared for backlash. Fuch you and your bonnets." - Johnny shoots)

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Apr 23. 2018, 00:58

TDD             
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

Aloha
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Aloha » Apr 23. 2018, 06:33

Holy fuckballs - what a card, and 7/7 is my b-day bitches!  

Max gonna finally defend that belt against someone other than Waldo.  Max's TDD and jitz are vastly underrated and rarely seen since he usually dominates fools with his standup.  Ortega will think he can stand with Max, but will soon realize that it is very different than standing with little folk like Edgar and Cub (the only two top fighters Ortega has beaten - though he did finish them both early - mad respect!).  

Ortega has a chance of course, but this will be ended before the judges have a say, and the Hawaiian will be keeping his belt  :c

moose84
News Pimp
News Pimp
Location: 6x CRI Champ - XV~LX~LXXX~LXXXI~CVII~CXV, 10x VIP Invitational Champ, 2x LMS Champ - I & VIII

Postby moose84 » Apr 23. 2018, 08:56

I liked T-City for a few years now and was curious to see how far he can go. Had to back up my boy Frankie when they fought, but Im back on the train.

Holloway is hella nice as well

Looking forward to see how their styles clash in this one.
LEATHER, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER! - PAT MILETICH

WHO WANTS A KO FOR CHRISTMAS! - FRANK SHAMROCK

MMI & OCT VS. DPI & GUS - MEXICAN STANDOFF

Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby Lukeo » Apr 26. 2018, 22:52

Brian. Then..... dominate 155 as well.

Return to “MMA TALK”