Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
User avatar
Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 11314
Joined: Apr 19. 2009, 05:15

Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Robert223 » Apr 20. 2018, 13:12

Image
Lee has been deducted 20% of his purse as a result.

Saturday’s UFC Atlantic City lightweight main event between Kevin Lee and Edson Barboza has been commuted to a catchweight bout following Lee registering a weight of 157-pounds at Friday’s weigh-ins.

Lee (16-3) appeared at the weigh-ins with five minutes remaining of the two-hour window and registered a weight one pound above the 156-pound limit. As a result, he will be docked 20% of his purse. His opponent, Edson Barboza, has accepted the the bout at a catchweight of 157-pounds. Earlier in the day, the Brazilian clocked in at 155.6-pounds on the scales.

Elsewhere on the card, Aspen Ladd also missed weight for her bantamweight match-up with Leslie Smith while Ulka Sasaki has been left without an opponent on the eve of the event after Magomed Bibulatov was forced to withdraw from the card citing a back injury.

Lee commented on the incident shortly after on Instagram, stating that this was the first time in his entire athletic career that he has missed weight.

Kevin Lee wrote:For the first time ever in my athletic career since high school I’ve missed weight this morning. I just ran outta time. I apologize @Ufc @danawhite @edsonbarbozajr tomorrow Imma go put on a show


C0-main event fighters Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson both made the featherweight weight limit without incident.

The full weigh-in results for UFC Atlantic City are:
Edson Barboza (155.6) vs. Kevin Lee (157)
Frankie Edgar (145.6) vs. Cub Swanson (145)
Chase Sherman (247) vs. Justin Willis (265.4)
David Branch (186) vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos (185.8 )
Brett Johns (135.8 ) vs. Aljamain Sterling (135.2)
Dan Hooker (155.6) vs. Jim Miller (155.4)
Alex Garcia (171) vs. Ryan LaFlare (170.6)
Magomed Bibulatov () vs. Ulka Sasaki ()
Siyar Bahadurzada (171) vs. Luan Chagas (170)
Corey Anderson (205) vs. Patrick Cummins (205.6)
Aspen Ladd (137.8 ) vs. Leslie Smith (135.4)
Merab Dvalishvili (135.2) vs. Ricky Simon (135.8 )
Tony Martin (170.6) vs. Keita Nakamura (170.6)

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/k ... n-barboza/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

User avatar
Lukn4trbl
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 4559
Joined: Mar 13. 2013, 15:52
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Lukn4trbl » Apr 20. 2018, 13:56

Second time he screwed weight (against Tony, needed another attempt).

Time to jump a class, or stop eating tiramisu.

Smith and Ladd fight may be scrapped as well.
Baller Betting - It will make you cool.

User avatar
JackHawk MMA
H.O.F. CRI4
H.O.F. CRI4
Posts: 4466
Joined: May 15. 2012, 01:09
Location: I believe you, but my mustache don't

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby JackHawk MMA » Apr 20. 2018, 15:10

You can't talk the shit he's talkin and then MISS weight. A fighter in his position should be making championship weight just for the sake of it.


Time for Kevin Lee to STFU.
Brian Stann for President.

"f**k you George"

MMI - Northeast Squadron

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22908
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00
Location: Laying the smackdown on Tits's pussy.

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kizzo » Apr 20. 2018, 19:28

"Tiramisu." - Khabib
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22908
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00
Location: Laying the smackdown on Tits's pussy.

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kizzo » Apr 20. 2018, 21:00

Meh...157 lbs....l lb. overweight....we all know that's not what these fighters are going to weigh on fight night.

Got 20% of purse weight cut though.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 5055
Joined: Jul 6. 2015, 19:03
Location: Down Under

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Lukeo » Apr 21. 2018, 00:55

JackHawk MMA wrote:You can't talk the shit he's talkin and then MISS weight. A fighter in his position should be making championship weight just for the sake of it.


Time for Kevin Lee to STFU.

100%

User avatar
homegrown123
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Posts: 1814
Joined: Jan 26. 2009, 20:57
Location: norcal

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby homegrown123 » Apr 23. 2018, 05:28

poor edson. just getting wrestle fucked left and right.

User avatar
Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 675
Joined: Jan 25. 2013, 07:14

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kragge » May 11. 2018, 00:58

Considering how close he was to getting KO'ed, I think it's a fair assumption that the weight cut he didn't execute actually won him the fight.

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22908
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00
Location: Laying the smackdown on Tits's pussy.

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kizzo » May 11. 2018, 12:39

Kragge wrote:Considering how close he was to getting KO'ed, I think it's a fair assumption that the weight cut he didn't execute actually won him the fight.


1 pound was the difference between him winning and losing?

Image
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 675
Joined: Jan 25. 2013, 07:14

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kragge » May 11. 2018, 13:31

Considering the effect that one kick Barboza landed on him had, you don't Think he would have been unconscious with that extra pound of fluids dehydrated from him?

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22908
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00
Location: Laying the smackdown on Tits's pussy.

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kizzo » May 11. 2018, 14:03

Kragge wrote:Considering the effect that one kick Barboza landed on him had, you don't Think he would have been unconscious with that extra pound of fluids dehydrated from him?


Well, you don't even actually know how much he weighted on that fight night vs. other fight nights. Even if we follow your logic, then we could make the counter-argument that he could have dodged that kick if he was lighter on the feet.

Studies show you need to lose atleast 2% of your bodyweight through sweating before performance is impacted. So if a person weights 150 lbs. he would have to lose 3 lbs. before performance is impacted. 1 pound is in the safe range. Hence, it wasn't a significant factor in that fight.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 675
Joined: Jan 25. 2013, 07:14

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kragge » May 11. 2018, 15:37

What you're saying is that performance is being reduced from 2% weight reduction. Assuming Lee already har reducted 2 % to reach the weight cut he did reach, all added weight must be considered additionally performance reduction. Thanks for pointing out the content of my argument!

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22908
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00
Location: Laying the smackdown on Tits's pussy.

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kizzo » May 11. 2018, 23:41

Kragge wrote:What you're saying is that performance is being reduced from 2% weight reduction. Assuming Lee already har reducted 2 % to reach the weight cut he did reach, all added weight must be considered additionally performance reduction. Thanks for pointing out the content of my argument!

What I'm saying is this. Let's take for example 2 fighters: Fighter A and Fighter B.

Let's say both fighters perform at a peak level at 175 lbs. on fight night. 

This means on fight night, if any of those fighters weights 171.5 lbs. (since 2% of 175 is 3.5 lbs.), then that fighter's performance will start to see negative effects. 

So if fighter A cut to 155.6 lbs. (weight loss of 19.4 lbs), and fighter B cut to 157 lbs. (weight loss of 18 lbs.). And fighter A was able to rehydrate up to 175, but fighter B was able to rehydrate up to 176. Then that the 1 lbs. difference between those 2 fighters on fight isn't a big difference to have impacted the fight. 

In other words, your argument was assuming there was a 1 lbs. difference, and that difference is what caused Kevin to win the fight. This is the flaw I pointed out in your argument as being wrong.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Kragge
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 675
Joined: Jan 25. 2013, 07:14

Re: Kevin Lee misses weight ahead of UFC Atlantic City main event opposite Edson Barboza

Postby Kragge » May 12. 2018, 01:31

No, that is not what I base my assumption on. I didn't even mention their fight night weight. My point builds on the scientifically proven fact that the brain is more sensitive to strikes as a result of dehydration up to the day before the fight. Even if a fighter manages to rehydrate and gain some extra weight it doesn't neccesarily mean that he rehydrate his brain. This means that un-executed weight-cut up to weigh-in day is to be considered as an advantage come fight night.
Ergo, every extra pound weigh-in day is an advantage when someone spin kicks you in the head. Surely, you're not contradicting This?


Return to “MMA TALK”