Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Darren Till vs. Stephen Thompson targeted for Liverpool’s UFC FN 130 *POLL*

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.

Who ya got!?

Till
33%
Wonderboy
67%

Total votes: 12

moose84
News Pimp
News Pimp
Location: 6x CRI Champ - XV~LX~LXXX~LXXXI~CVII~CXV, 10x VIP Invitational Champ, 2x LMS Champ - I & VIII

Darren Till vs. Stephen Thompson targeted for Liverpool’s UFC FN 130 *POLL*

Postby moose84 » Mar 24. 2018, 00:50

The UFC’s upcoming event in Liverpool appears to have its headliner.

As previously announced, welterweight Darren Till (16-0-1 MMA, 4-0-1 UFC) will headline the card. Now, he has a likely opponent: Stephen Thompson (14-2-1 MMA, 9-2-1 UFC).

A person close to one of the fighters told MMAjunkie Friday the bout should soon be signed and formally announced. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because UFC officials haven’t made a formal announcement.

BJPenn.com first reported the targeted matchup.

UFC Fight Night 130 takes place May 27 at Echo Arena, and the card airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, though the full fight card and official bout order haven’t been finalized.

Till is No. 9 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA welterweight rankings, and former title challenger Thompson is No. 2.

Till, a 25-year-old Englishman who will be the clear crowd favorite at UFC Fight Night 130, has won 16 of 17 fights with 12 stoppages. What’s arguably his biggest win to date came in his most recent bout, when he scored a TKO victory over Donald Cerrone back in October. It marked Till’s first UFC headliner. He’s now 3-0 since a “Fight of the Night” majority draw with Nicolas Dalby in 2015.

He next meets Thompson, who went 0-1-1 in a pair of fights with reigning welterweight champ Tyron Woodley from 2016-2017. However, in his most recent, the 35-year-old “Wonderboy” rebounded with a decision victory over Jorge Masvidal. A win over fast-rising Till could give Thompson the momentum he needs for another shot at the belt.

The latest UFC Fight Night 130 card includes:

Stephen Thompson vs. Darren Till
Tom Breese vs. Daniel Kelly
Trevor Smith vs. Elias Theodorou
Eric Spicely vs. Darren Stewart
Lina Lansberg vs. Gina Mazany
Makwan Amirkhani vs. Jason Knight

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/03/darren-till-stephen-thompson-targeted-ufc-fight-night-130-liverpool-headliner
LEATHER, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER! - PAT MILETICH

WHO WANTS A KO FOR CHRISTMAS! - FRANK SHAMROCK

MMI & OCT VS. DPI & GUS - MEXICAN STANDOFF

MajorBA
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Darren Till vs. Stephen Thompson targeted for Liverpool’s UFC FN 130 *POLL*

Postby MajorBA » Mar 24. 2018, 23:27

Thompson will give Till his first L. It's time for Darren to get broke.
"If they will play fair I will play fair, but if they won't then I reserve all my rights to do anything I find myself able to do."-William Howard Taft

"We can't cure stupid, but we can alleviate it's symptoms."-MajorBA

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » Mar 25. 2018, 01:46

Till is dangerous guy and big for this weight class. I still give Thompson an edge to win, he survived Woodleys bomb. This can be closer than Thompson vs. Masvidal.
Why not Till vs. Masvidal, for example?

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Mar 25. 2018, 23:39

Nothing against Till but I see Wonderboy getting the W in this fight. More than likely it will either be by decision, or by TKO in the later rounds, probably the 3rd.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Poochie
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Poochie » Mar 27. 2018, 16:26

xSamWaynex wrote:Nothing against Till but I see Wonderboy getting the W in this fight. More than likely it will either be by decision, or by TKO in the later rounds, probably the 3rd.

I only see Till bullying him and KO'ing  him silly.
"Who the fook is that guy?" - Conor McGregor
"I'd like to apologize... to absolutely nobody!" - Conor McGregor

ted
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby ted » Mar 27. 2018, 18:11

Poochie wrote:I only see Till bullying him and KO'ing  him silly.

That's what I see too, the guy is so confident. If he puts Stephen on the ground, I think he could finish him with elbows.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Mar 29. 2018, 01:09

Poochie wrote:
xSamWaynex wrote:Nothing against Till but I see Wonderboy getting the W in this fight. More than likely it will either be by decision, or by TKO in the later rounds, probably the 3rd.

I only see Till bullying him and KO'ing  him silly.

I don't know about all that man. Bullying a counter striker normally doesn't end well. While Till definitely does have the tools to get the job done come fight night and very well could get the win in this fight, I don't think bullying should be his strategy.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Mad_ProfessoR
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Mad_ProfessoR » Mar 29. 2018, 05:05

I shall go with Till on this one, via tko

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » Mar 29. 2018, 07:31

His first fight in UFC vs Bojan Velickovic

Till is a stud no doubt, but are you fans really saying, he can do to Thompson what he couldn't do to someone not even ranked? Two decisions in UFC and one ko against lightweight slow starter? Well, it's possible, that is true. Could happen, why not.
I expect a good fight.

unmapped
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby unmapped » Mar 29. 2018, 12:57

i wanna see thompson woodley 3 tho
who is till lol. hillbilly that learned muay thai then jacked conors footwork stance 

Poochie
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Poochie » Mar 29. 2018, 15:48

unmapped wrote:i wanna see thompson woodley 3 tho
who is till lol. hillbilly that learned muay thai then jacked conors footwork stance 

Well who the f**k is Thompson? They have parallel kickboxin records against no ones lol.

unmapped
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby unmapped » Mar 29. 2018, 16:35

thompson took out a few contenders on his way up. til had one good fight and ten interviews sounding like hillbilly 

Poochie
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Poochie » Mar 29. 2018, 17:03

unmapped wrote:thompson took out a few contenders on his way up. til had one good fight and ten interviews sounding like hillbilly 

I get what you mean of course, but nobody wanted to fight Till exept Usman. I'm with you that Till got the easyway, but anyways. He also said he would fight Usman who I think should have the title fight by now IMO. I just don't think Thompson deserves that third fight yet.  But all of this WW mess is because of Tyron "crybaby" Woodley.  Atleast we got the LW division moving on.

Return to “MMA TALK”