Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

'Shogun' Rua vs. Volkan Oezdemir set for UFC FN 129 in Chile *POLL*

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.

Who ya got!?

Shogun
No votes
Volkan
100%

Total votes: 9

moose84
News Pimp
News Pimp
Location: 6x CRI Champ - XV~LX~LXXX~LXXXI~CVII~CXV, 10x VIP Invitational Champ, 2x LMS Champ - I & VIII

'Shogun' Rua vs. Volkan Oezdemir set for UFC FN 129 in Chile *POLL*

Postby moose84 » Mar 24. 2018, 00:35

A light heavyweight bout between former UFC champ Mauricio Rua and Volkan Oezdemir is set for May’s UFC Fight Night 129 lineup.

UFC officials today announced the matchup between Rua (25-10 MMA, 9-8 UFC) and Oezdemir (15-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC).

UFC Fight Night 129 takes place May 19 in Santiago, Chile, at Movistar Arena. It airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, though the full fight card and bout order haven’t been finalized.

Rua, 36, returns to action for the first time in more than a year. He hasn’t competed since a third-round TKO of Gian Villante at UFC Fight Night 106 in March 2017. The performance pushed the Brazilian’s winning streak to three fights, which is the longest of his more than 10-year UFC career.

“Shogun,” No. 13 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light heavyweight rankings, was supposed to rematch Ovince Saint Preux at UFC Fight Night 117 in September but was forced to withdraw from the contest due to a knee injury, which required surgery.

For No. 7-ranked Oezdemir, a matchup with Rua represents an opportunity to get a win over a former UFC champion. “No Time” came up short of the 205-pound belt, himself, in his most recent octagon outing, succumbing to a second-round TKO against Daniel Cormier at UFC 220 in January.

The loss to Cormier marked the end of Oezdemir’s five-fight winning streak, including three-straight under the UFC banner.

The latest UFC Fight Night 129 card includes:
Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Kamaru Usman
Volkan Oezdemir vs. Mauricio Rua
Chad Laprise vs. Vicente Luque
Guido Cannetti vs. Diego Rivas
Alexa Grasso vs. Tatiana Suarez
Andrea Lee vs. Veronica Macedo
Poliana Botelho vs. Syuri Kondo
Henry Briones vs. Frankie Saenz
Jared Cannonier vs. Dominick Reyes
Claudio Puelles vs. Felipe Silva
Zak Cummings vs. Michel Prazeres

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/03/shogun-rua-vs-volkan-oezdemir-ufc-fight-night-129-chile-mma
LEATHER, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER! - PAT MILETICH

WHO WANTS A KO FOR CHRISTMAS! - FRANK SHAMROCK

MMI & OCT VS. DPI & GUS - MEXICAN STANDOFF

MajorBA
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: 'Shogun' Rua vs. Volkan Oezdemir set for UFC FN 129 in Chile *POLL*

Postby MajorBA » Mar 24. 2018, 23:37

I wish for Rua to finally hang 'em up on a win. Very unlikely for that to happen here.
"If they will play fair I will play fair, but if they won't then I reserve all my rights to do anything I find myself able to do."-William Howard Taft

"We can't cure stupid, but we can alleviate it's symptoms."-MajorBA

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » Mar 25. 2018, 01:41

Uh, Rua made a mistake.

MajorBA
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby MajorBA » Mar 25. 2018, 01:54

ikor wrote:Uh, Rua made a mistake.

Definitely.  He has always been willing to fight anyone.  Much respect.
"If they will play fair I will play fair, but if they won't then I reserve all my rights to do anything I find myself able to do."-William Howard Taft

"We can't cure stupid, but we can alleviate it's symptoms."-MajorBA

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Mar 25. 2018, 06:09

Easy win for Volkan.

hippielove
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby hippielove » Mar 25. 2018, 15:38

Shogun will open his eyes and say...  What happened?  ::s
Peace, Love and Happiness stuff

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Mar 25. 2018, 23:28

I concur with everyone else. Rua just isn't the same fighter anymore. When he started out in MMA he was still a teenager. The years have not been kind to him as he has taken a lot of brutal beatings....even though I do have to admit that he has also handed out quite a few as well. I just don't see Rua being able to beat Oezdemir at this time. If this fight were happening ten years ago I would be really excited at the possibility for a fight of the night. Sadly that doesn't seem like a very likely outcome anymore for Rua....age is the one thing that beats us all.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

TheDemon305
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby TheDemon305 » Mar 27. 2018, 09:42

Gimme fight for Volkan. 
"Bite hard get bit hard but don't run".

"A loss is a lesson nothing more,how you soak in that lesson will determine whether it was a gain or a loss".

-Bruce Lee,Bas Rutten,Lyoto Machida,Forrest Griffin,Randy Couture,Petrosyan.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Mar 27. 2018, 12:17

TheDemon305 wrote:Gimme fight for Volkan. 

Free money if you're a betting man.

TheDemon305
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby TheDemon305 » Mar 29. 2018, 07:37

Kizzo wrote:

As much as i love mma, betting on its so tricky. This game is so unpredicatable man.

"A loss is a lesson nothing more,how you soak in that lesson will determine whether it was a gain or a loss".

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Mar 31. 2018, 23:56

TheDemon305 wrote:
Kizzo wrote:

As much as i love mma, betting on its so tricky. This game is so unpredicatable man.

Tell me about it haha. A friend of mine bet on the GSP v Serra 1 fight thinking that GSP was just going to mop the floor with Serra. He ended up losing 200 bucks. You just never know when the unexpected is going to happen in MMA. Every fighter has that "punchers chance" of winning no matter how big their opposition. I've seen it happen too many times to think otherwise.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

TheDemon305
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby TheDemon305 » Apr 1. 2018, 11:54

xSamWaynex wrote:
TheDemon305 wrote:
Kizzo wrote:Free money if you're a betting man.

Tell me about it haha. A friend of mine bet on the GSP v Serra 1 fight thinking that GSP was just going to mop the floor with Serra. He ended up losing 200 bucks. You just never know when the unexpected is going to happen in MMA. Every fighter has that "punchers chance" of winning no matter how big their opposition. I've seen it happen too many times to think otherwise.

Hell yea lol its honestly safer to bet on the underdog, in case of an upset. I remember stats coming out about outcomes of short notice fights. I found that interesting,  if i recall the person taking a short notice percentage wise had more wins. Makes you think about fighting someone who only trained a week lol 

Return to “MMA TALK”