Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Yoel Romero misses weight at UFC 221; Cannot win the interim title

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Yoel Romero misses weight at UFC 221; Cannot win the interim title

Postby Robert223 » Feb 10. 2018, 10:53

Yoel Romero will not walk out of this weekend as a champion.

Yoel Romero has missed weight at UFC 221, and is no longer able to win the UFC interim middleweight championship. His opponent, Luke Rockhold, will still become the title holder should he be victorious.

Romero initially hit the scales at 188-pounds, three over the division’s limit. He was allowed two hours to try and lose the extra weight, but was unable, and weighed in again at 187.7-pounds. As is standard in these situations, should he still accept the fight, Rockhold will be given 20% of Romero’s purse.

There is perhaps some level of understanding to be had here. Romero was brought in as a short notice opponent for Rockhold after the middleweight champion Robert Whittaker was ruled out of their scheduled bout with a staph infection. But while UFC president Dana White appears to be understanding of Romero’s failure, Rockhold himself was visibly angered when he watched Romero weigh in too heavy.

Brett Okamoto wrote:Dana White, via text, on UFC 221: “Romero took this fight on short notice when Whittaker fell out and he didn’t get a full camp. I appreciate him stepping up and taking the fight. If wins he doesn’t get the belt, if Rockhold wins he’s the interim champ”

Luke Rockhold wrote:Should have be doing the salsa in the sauna. Some bullshit as usual

Romero’s situation isn’t the first time we’ve seen something like this happen. Back at UFC 206, Anthony Pettis missed weight for an interim title fight with Max Holloway, meaning Holloway was the only one eligible to win the belt.

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/y ... rim-title/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Re: Yoel Romero misses weight at UFC 221; Cannot win the interim title

Postby Kizzo » Feb 10. 2018, 11:02

Hmm...wondering if I should change my pick to Rockhold....
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Postby ikor » Feb 10. 2018, 11:04

Was Romero the reason, that real weigh in and public weigh in were the same or there is something else?
And, if Romero wins, who is gets the fight with Whittaker? Winner, or interim champ?
Ah, so many questions...

Holeydel
CRI2
CRI2

Postby Holeydel » Feb 10. 2018, 11:40

No early weigh in is probably something to do with the 07:30 (!) local start time for the event.

The winner of this fight will get to fight Whittaker, regardless if it's a beltless Romero. This interim title is actually completely pointless as Whittaker is on progress to return in due time.

I don't like either Rockhold or Romero, so Romero missing weight was brilliant! I'd love to see him win a controversial split decision over Rockhold - neither of them would get a belt.

snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby snake eyes » Feb 10. 2018, 11:52

If one month isn't enough for you to get down to the fight weight, then you are in a wrong division. It's unbelievable that pro fighters do this and especially when they are given a title shot.

Rockhold by headkick

TheDemon305
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby TheDemon305 » Feb 10. 2018, 11:55

Great job soldier of roids
"Bite hard get bit hard but don't run".

"A loss is a lesson nothing more,how you soak in that lesson will determine whether it was a gain or a loss".

-Bruce Lee,Bas Rutten,Lyoto Machida,Forrest Griffin,Randy Couture,Petrosyan.

JackHawk MMA
H.O.F. CRI4
H.O.F. CRI4

Postby JackHawk MMA » Feb 10. 2018, 12:47

Kizzo wrote:Hmm...wondering if I should change my pick to Rockhold....

Yoel grabbed Luke's arm at the way in's and didn't let him go.... Luke looked shook after that, and he was acting weird in the interviews that followed... I think he's scared  :c
Brian Stann for President.

"f**k you George"

MMI - Northeast Squadron

JackHawk MMA
H.O.F. CRI4
H.O.F. CRI4

Postby JackHawk MMA » Feb 10. 2018, 12:51

snake eyes wrote:If one month isn't enough for you to get down to the fight weight, then you are in a wrong division. It's unbelievable that pro fighters do this and especially when they are given a title shot.

Rockhold by headkick

For a guy who has to walk around at about 210...He essentially had a 3 week camp and a flight to Australia... This isn't as bad as everyones making it out to be.  
If the fight was in Florida I bet he would have made the weight.

Don't get me wrong, it's disappointing... I'm just not ready to rake Yoel over the coals for this, especially compared to all the other stuff he's done   :lol:
Brian Stann for President.

"f**k you George"

MMI - Northeast Squadron

hippielove
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby hippielove » Feb 10. 2018, 13:36

What the FuK?
Every time I log on I read some Bullshit!
How the hell would U miss weight dumbass!  :roll:
!nosedrill  Unbelievable...
I guess he doesn't care about being the Champ and holding that belt!
★ Peace, Love ★ Happiness stuff ★

snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby snake eyes » Feb 10. 2018, 13:37

JackHawk MMA wrote:
snake eyes wrote:If one month isn't enough for you to get down to the fight weight, then you are in a wrong division. It's unbelievable that pro fighters do this and especially when they are given a title shot.

Rockhold by headkick

For a guy who has to walk around at about 210...He essentially had a 3 week camp and a flight to Australia... This isn't as bad as everyones making it out to be.  

Don't get me wrong, it's disappointing... I'm just not ready to rake Yoel over the coals for this, especially compared to all the other stuff he's done   :lol:

:lol:

Holeydel
CRI2
CRI2

Postby Holeydel » Feb 10. 2018, 14:22

snake eyes wrote:
JackHawk MMA wrote:

Rockhold by headkick

:lol:

Gotta agree with you here. Of course missing weight sucks and is unprofessional, but this is a short notice bout half the world away for Yoel. For all his faults, this is the first time he's ever missed weight. UFC 221 is a poor enough as it is however it would be a whole lot worse if Yoel hadn't agreed to the short notice bout.

Return to “MMA TALK”