“The Count” won’t be coming home for his retirement fight.
Michael Bisping tweeted Tuesday that he will not be on the card at UFC London on March 17. Bisping confirmed with MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that he is “100 percent” not competing on the card, no matter the opponent offered. Tickets go on sale for the event Wednesday.In past weeks, Bisping had been debating whether or not he would take his farewell fight in his home country of England. His family, Bisping said last week on his podcast, want him to just retire and not take another bout.
“I’m just debating whether or not I take the fight,” Bisping said on the “Believe You Me” podcast. “For me, whether or not those people can see, I have a bad eye. I have a bad eye and my wife doesn’t want me to continue fighting, and my manager doesn’t want me to continue fighting. I see out of that eye but not as well as I used to, and I’m still a young man so it’s kind of the reason I may hang the gloves up. My wife and manager and friends and people close to me say, ‘Mike, what do you want to do that for? You’ve done it. You’ve had the belt.' I’ve done it. I’ve done what I set out to achieve.”
Bisping, 38, won the UFC middleweight title from Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 in June 2016. He dropped it to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 back in November. Just three weeks later, Bisping was booked into a main event fight with Kelvin Gastelum at UFC Shanghai and he was knocked out in the first round.
For a time, Bisping (30-9) was considered perhaps the best UFC fighter of all time to never get a title shot. But he got one, took home the belt and carried it for more than a year. Bisping, who now lives in Southern California, has been in the UFC for 12 years and owns wins over the likes of Anderson Silva, Dan Henderson and Rockhold.
Probably for the best since the brutal KO by Kelvin. Still would like to see him have a finale fight and London would have been nice to see him out.