Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
User avatar
770
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 8795
Joined: Aug 10. 2010, 07:01
Location: DEEP!

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby 770 » Jan 28. 2018, 22:05

Robert223 wrote:Conor's left to Khabib's face:
Image

Image
"JUST WALK AWAY AND THERE WILL BE AN END TO THE HORROR"

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22114
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Kizzo » Jan 28. 2018, 22:21

phpBB [video]
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2113
Joined: Oct 24. 2009, 07:08

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Synergy » Jan 30. 2018, 01:04

This makes little sense to me. Why would Khabib retire after potentially winning the title and now making the big bucks with every future fight.

Either ways I expect him to maul Tony after which Conner will stay retired as I doubt he wants anything to do with Khabib.

User avatar
Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2113
Joined: Oct 24. 2009, 07:08

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Synergy » Jan 30. 2018, 01:04

This makes little sense to me. Why would Khabib retire after potentially winning the title and now making the big bucks with every future fight.

Either ways I expect him to maul Tony after which Conner will stay retired as I doubt he wants anything to do with Khabib.

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22114
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Kizzo » Jan 30. 2018, 01:06

Synergy wrote:This makes little sense to me. Why would Khabib retire after potentially winning the title and now making the big bucks with every future fight.

  Either ways I expect him to maul Tony after which Conner will stay retired as I doubt he wants anything to do with Khabib.

Conor never mentioned being retired did he?
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2113
Joined: Oct 24. 2009, 07:08

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Synergy » Jan 30. 2018, 01:41

Kizzo wrote:
Synergy wrote:This makes little sense to me. Why would Khabib retire after potentially winning the title and now making the big bucks with every future fight.

  Either ways I expect him to maul Tony after which Conner will stay retired as I doubt he wants anything to do with Khabib.

Conor never mentioned being retired did he?

Neither did Rousey. 

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22114
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Kizzo » Jan 30. 2018, 01:44

Synergy wrote:
Kizzo wrote:
Synergy wrote:This makes little sense to me. Why would Khabib retire after potentially winning the title and now making the big bucks with every future fight.

  Either ways I expect him to maul Tony after which Conner will stay retired as I doubt he wants anything to do with Khabib.

Conor never mentioned being retired did he?

Neither did Rousey. 

You think their likelihood of returning to the Octagon is the same? I don't.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2113
Joined: Oct 24. 2009, 07:08

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Synergy » Jan 31. 2018, 04:41

Kizzo wrote:
Synergy wrote:
Kizzo wrote:Conor never mentioned being retired did he?

Neither did Rousey. 

You think their likelihood of returning to the Octagon is the same? I don't.

If its against Khabib the likelihood of Conors return is about the same. Can't be good for the Connor brand to be mauled and made to look like a kid, by the Russian bear.
   He probably comes fight, if Tony wins against Khabib or possibly for the trilogy fight against Nate. If Khabib wins, expect those talks about fighting Paulie, Pacman or the Nate trilogy fight to get louder from Conors camp.

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22114
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Kizzo » Jan 31. 2018, 12:43

Synergy wrote:
Kizzo wrote:
Synergy wrote:Neither did Rousey. 

You think their likelihood of returning to the Octagon is the same? I don't.

If its against Khabib the likelihood of Conors return is about the same. Can't be good for the Connor brand to be mauled and made to look like a kid, by the Russian bear.
   He probably comes fight, if Tony wins against Khabib or possibly for the trilogy fight against Nate. If Khabib wins, expect those talks about fighting Paulie, Pacman or the Nate trilogy fight to get louder from Conors camp.


I don't think he's afraid to fight anyone even Khabib as he mentioned wanting to fight Khabib in Russia, but we'll see. Also, not to forget to mention, he did win his retirement money already. That kind of money never seen in MMA may make you less motivated to come back. He might not even come back at all. Which is different from leaving the game after losing like Ronda did.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2113
Joined: Oct 24. 2009, 07:08

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Synergy » Feb 1. 2018, 07:28

I don't think he's afraid to fight anyone even Khabib

Never said he was afraid. While I am not a Conor fan, he is quite fearless as he has incredible confidence in his abilities.
he did win his retirement money already. That kind of money never seen in MMA may make you less motivated to come back. He might not even come back at all. Which is different from leaving the game after losing like Ronda did.


Yes he earned a small fortune fighting Mayweather. Its going to be hard for him to come back and spend the entire camp training takedown defense and train wrestling.
    Also Conor is a smart guy. While he will be confident in his abilities, he will also know that its very likely that Khabib could take him down and maul him. And getting destroyed in a fight doesn't do your reputation any favors, just ask Ronda (who went from unbeatable to washed up within 2 fights). Conor already has business ventures, suits and that whiskey are the one's I am aware of. So keeping that reputation as the multiple division champion & doing Hollywood movies and trolling on twitter would be better for his reputation, than getting mauled by Khabib.
   Its why I think he retires if Khabib wins and might come back if Tony wins as against Tony, its a standup fight, which plays to his strength.

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22114
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Kizzo » Feb 1. 2018, 10:04

Synergy wrote:
I don't think he's afraid to fight anyone even Khabib

Never said he was afraid. While I am not a Conor fan, he is quite fearless as he has incredible confidence in his abilities.
he did win his retirement money already. That kind of money never seen in MMA may make you less motivated to come back. He might not even come back at all. Which is different from leaving the game after losing like Ronda did.


Yes he earned a small fortune fighting Mayweather. Its going to be hard for him to come back and spend the entire camp training takedown defense and train wrestling.
    Also Conor is a smart guy. While he will be confident in his abilities, he will also know that its very likely that Khabib could take him down and maul him. And getting destroyed in a fight doesn't do your reputation any favors, just ask Ronda (who went from unbeatable to washed up within 2 fights). Conor already has business ventures, suits and that whiskey are the one's I am aware of. So keeping that reputation as the multiple division champion & doing Hollywood movies and trolling on twitter would be better for his reputation, than getting mauled by Khabib.
   Its why I think he retires if Khabib wins and might come back if Tony wins as against Tony, its a standup fight, which plays to his strength.


I wouldn't call $100 million a small fortune (for an MMA fighter atleast). Ronda is a woman. Men are different (e.g. Fedor got mauled 3 times in a row). Subbed, TKO'd, TKO'd. Silva got mauled 2x (KO'd, broke leg). Both at height of careers higher than Conor got crushed and continued fighting. Though Conor is a different type of breed though from those two (he is more money minded), and you might have a point about his business ventures. However, there is also the reward of making millions more from the Khabib fight in Russia, and also the reward he gets if he wins. There is also the bad reputation of never defending the belt so he might actually fight Khabib. We're not Conor, so all we can do is assume as MMA fans what he'll do, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does fight Khabib. Also, Conor has options like the 3rd Nate fight ($$$), so I wouldn't say it's over for Conor like Ronda.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2113
Joined: Oct 24. 2009, 07:08

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Synergy » Feb 2. 2018, 07:07

I wouldn't call $100 million a small fortune (for an MMA fighter atleast). 

A small fortune means "a large amount of money".  That 100 mil for one fight was a huge amount of cash, MMA or not.
Men are different (e.g. Fedor got mauled 3 times in a row). Subbed, TKO'd, TKO'd. Silva got mauled 2x (KO'd, broke leg). Both at height of careers higher than Conor got crushed and continued fighting.

Your being intentionally deceptive. Fedor was on the decline way before those 3 KO's.
 Here is what the respected Jack Slack said about Fedor.
Fedor Emelianenko's fall was sudden if you hadn't been watching his fights closely. But if you were a follower of The Last Emperor you had seen his punches getting wilder, you had noticed that all the footage out of his camp was of him boxing and that he never translated it into the ring any more, and you had watched his rounded MMA game atrophy down to swings and infrequent muscled takedowns. His admission that he didn't weight train anymore, believing that wrestling with resisting partners was enough was equally worrying. He surrounded himself with mystics and yes men, wearing a massive cross everywhere he went and spoke of fighting with disregard for the result, ascribing everything to 'God's will'. The fall of Fedor began well before the surprise triangle of Fabricio Werdum.

     Yes both of Fedor and Anderson continued fighting, mostly because neither did anything else but fight and it was their only way to make money. They were just cashing in on their reputations to get paid.
  Conors situation is different. He was on a tear, he has beaten Chad Mendes (proving he could handle wrestlers) and then KO'd Aldo (who was in with a shout as GOAT). Then he got schooled by a middle of the pack 155er in Nate Diaz. It killed that unbeatable aura, but it was only 1 loss and the UFC did a lot of damage control by pretending Nate was a top 170 pounder, when the truth is Nate was a middle of the road 155er. 
     Conor off course recovered from that loss, beat Diaz and also won the 155 title from Alvarez. However his aura would be massively dented if Khabib rag dolls him and subs him in a couple of rounds. And unlike Fedor and Anderson, who were just fighters and nothing else, Conor has his clothing line, whiskey and other businesses to worry about. 
The narrative could go from "what an incredible fighter" to "massively overated as the Russian destroyed him and got him to tap" as the casual fan would have no idea how ridiculously good Khabib is.
We're not Conor, so all we can do is assume as MMA fans what he'll do, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does fight Khabib. Also, Conor has options like the 3rd Nate fight ($$$), so I wouldn't say it's over for Conor like Ronda.

Off course. Nobody knows for sure as Conor could just love fighting and come back. However I am going by the evidence of him taking more than a year off and having no interest in fighting, so much so that Dana has essentially stripped him of the belt as even his boss doesn't think he will be back.
      And yeah I mentioned that he could be back for a fight against Nate or Nick Diaz or GSP or other big money fights against anyone not named Khabib. If he does come back and fight Khabib, I will be the first to come and praise his bravery to test himself against that force of nature who grew up wrestling a bear.

User avatar
Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1
Posts: 22114
Joined: Jun 30. 2013, 19:00

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Kizzo » Feb 2. 2018, 10:28

Synergy wrote:A small fortune means "a large amount of money".  That 100 mil for one fight was a huge amount of cash, MMA or not.


Actually, you're wrong.

Image
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Small%20fortune


Synergy wrote:Your being intentionally deceptive.


* You're

Synergy wrote:Fedor was on the decline way before those 3 KO's.


That is pretty deceptive to distort what I said like that. I said 2 TKO's and 1 sub. Go back and look.


Synergy wrote:Here is what the respected Jack Slack said about Fedor.


You're mistaking Jack Slack's "opinions" for "facts." You're also mistaking your "opinions" as "facts" as well. Not to forget to mention Jack Slack is a Fedor nuthugger. His opinions aren't bias-free.

But here is why even if he was on a decline, it doesn't excuse his losses. Fighting in Werdum's guard isn't the same as fighting in Nog's guard. Big Foot is not a big guy with no skills like HMC. Hendo was also not in his prime when he fought Fedor. He also had the same number of fights when he fought Fedor. Not to forget to mention Hendo was the smaller guy and was 40 (started MMA also earlier than Fedor) when he fought 34 year old Fedor. Either way, Fedor lost to the better fighters that night who are also relatively in different phases of their careers (not sure why it's assumed Fedor is the only one on a decline and everyone he lost to was at the very top peak of their prime by his nuthuggers).  The rest is speculation.

Synergy wrote:Yes both of Fedor and Anderson continued fighting, mostly because neither did anything else but fight and it was their only way to make money. They were just cashing in on their reputations to get paid.


Yes, Frodo got greedy and he paid for it while ducking the UFC.

Image


Synergy wrote:Conors situation is different. He was on a tear, he has beaten Chad Mendes (proving he could handle wrestlers) and then KO'd Aldo (who was in with a shout as GOAT). Then he got schooled by a middle of the pack 155er in Nate Diaz. It killed that unbeatable aura, but it was only 1 loss and the UFC did a lot of damage control by pretending Nate was a top 170 pounder, when the truth is Nate was a middle of the road 155er. 
     Conor off course recovered from that loss, beat Diaz and also won the 155 title from Alvarez. However his aura would be massively dented if Khabib rag dolls him and subs him in a couple of rounds. And unlike Fedor and Anderson, who were just fighters and nothing else, Conor has his clothing line, whiskey and other businesses to worry about. 


You basically stated reasons why Conor is NOT the same as Ronda by saying Conor has nothing to fall back on if he loses to Khabib. Meanwhile, Ronda had something to fall back on (WWE) when she got crushed by Holm & Nunes.

Synergy wrote:The narrative could go from "what an incredible fighter" to "massively overated as the Russian destroyed him and got him to tap" as the casual fan would have no idea how ridiculously good Khabib is.

Off course. Nobody knows for sure as Conor could just love fighting and come back. However I am going by the evidence of him taking more than a year off and having no interest in fighting, so much so that Dana has essentially stripped him of the belt as even his boss doesn't think he will be back.

      And yeah I mentioned that he could be back for a fight against Nate or Nick Diaz or GSP or other big money fights against anyone not named Khabib. If he does come back and fight Khabib, I will be the first to come and praise his bravery to test himself against that force of nature who grew up wrestling a bear.


Dana White isn't exactly the most reliable source. :lol: I wouldn't put too much weight on what Dana White thinks.

Conor not coming back may have nothing to do with Khabib. If I won as much money as he did, I'd likely quit MMA or would want to ATLEAST take a break for a year or so to spend and enjoy that money before I decide to come back. That's probably what Conor is doing. He could easily come back for a money fight like Mayweather does in boxing. He's got choices.

Anyway, my point was that the chance of Conor coming back was higher than Ronda. As you even admitted yourself that Conor has options to come back to (Nate, GSP, Khabib...with Khabib mentioning retirement after he wins belt...then Ferg could be made interim champ to fight Conor, etc.) so it wouldn't even matter if Khabib was champ. Ronda doesn't have those options. She couldn't handle the loss well emotionally. Wouldn't do the post-fight interview, came on TV crying, etc. It was a miracle she even came back for the Nunes fight and that was after awhile.  And the Nunes defeat pretty much sealed the deal with WWE. With Conor he still has those criticisms of never having defended a belt. He might want to come back to address those criticisms. Whether he'll fight Khabib or not is only speculation. So we'll see.

P.S. Also please learn to quote with my name as I have done for you so it shows up on my notifications that you specifically replied to my post...rather than it showing up as you just replying to the thread which I might just ignore if it wasn't addressed to me. Also, when you reply to multiple people in one post which I've seen you done before, quoting their name would be appreciated as well.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

User avatar
Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1
Posts: 2113
Joined: Oct 24. 2009, 07:08

Re: Khabib’s Camp Hints To Retirement Plans

Postby Synergy » Feb 5. 2018, 14:21

Kizzo wrote:
Synergy wrote:A small fortune means "a large amount of money".  That 100 mil for one fight was a huge amount of cash, MMA or not.


Actually, you're wrong.

Seems I am correct as expected.
a small fortune
informal

[b]a large amount of money:[/b]
You'll have to spend a small fortune in legal fees if you decide to sue for compensation.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/a-small-fortune


[font="Noto Sans", sans-serif]You're mistaking Jack Slack's "opinions" for "facts." You're also mistaking your "opinions" as "facts" as well. Not to forget to mention Jack Slack is a Fedor nuthugger. His opinions aren't bias-free.[/font]

Didn't claim they were facts, just stated that many people believe that Fedor was already past his prime when those losses came. 
  Nobody claimed anything about his opponents. It would be like me claiming the Anderson Silva who lost to Bisping was the same Silva destroying the UFC MW division. So does that mean Silva was an average fighter at best as Ping is hardly a top MW.

Dana White isn't exactly the most reliable source. Image I wouldn't put too much weight on what Dana White thinks.

I put a lot more weight in his remarks than a nobody called Kizzo. At least he knows and speaks to Conor.

Anyway, my point was that the chance of Conor coming back was higher than Ronda.

Seems your confusing your OPINION with facts. I'd say its around the same, as I can see Ronda coming back Brock style for a big money fight against an opponent with limited standup that she can beat.
   On the flip side I can see Conor running to retirement with the though of Khabib making his tap like a kid. 
So from my perspective, the chance is around the same.

 If I won as much money as he did, I'd likely quit MMA or would want to ATLEAST take a break for a year or so to spend and enjoy that money before I decide to come back. That's probably what Conor is doing.

Your just a Conor nuthugger, your not Conor, so your opinion on Conor means next to nothing. All we know is Conor isn't fighting and his boss just stripped him of the belt and doesn't believe he is coming back.
With Conor he still has those criticisms of never having defended a belt.

And I fully expect those criticisms to remain as he ducks Khabib. 
Though I kind of hope he comes fights Khabib as it would be funny to watch him rag dolled for a couple of rounds and tap once again.
Image


Return to “MMA TALK”