Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is back and ready for “a long sustained run”

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is back and ready for “a long sustained run”

Postby Robert223 » Dec 12. 2017, 05:18

Cain Velasquez is back in training, and ready to make a final consistent run. So says his training partner Daniel Cormier.

At one point, Cain Velasquez was the UFC heavyweight champion, and a man considered as potentially the best to ever feature in that division’s history.

Unfortunately, after a career plagued by injury, Velasquez has faded to the very outer peripheries of mixed martial arts. Occasionally showing up at events as a featured fighter, Velasquez hasn’t fought in the cage since July of 2016 at UFC 200. Overall, he’s fought six times in the last five years — a brutally low amount for a elite level fighter.

Now according to his main training partner and longtime friend, Daniel Cormier, he’s back and ready to get into the cage for one last run.

“It does suck to have to go in there and work with Cain, because he’s so much better than everybody else that’s ever been around, but it’s good to have him, man,” Cormier said, speaking on MMAFighting’s The MMA Hour. “Just seeing him back doing what he loves to do, it’s amazing as a friend and as a fan of mixed martial arts, because if Cain gets back, you guys know what he does for the heavyweight division. He makes for some very, very interesting and fun fights.”

Of course, it’s not easy. Velasquez body has long been battered and bruised, and to get through high level training camps is no easy feat. For Cormier, he believes that the team are coming together to work with Velasquez to ensure he’s able to fight not just once again, but fight regularly.

“When you start dealing with some of the injuries that Cain has had, and I’ve seen this since wrestling — backs and necks and all those types of injuries — man, it takes time to recover,” Cormier said. “And I think, for a long time, Cain may have pushed himself when he should’ve rested, and I believe this time he’s actually taken the time to try to let himself heal, and I feel like this will be a chance for him to make a long, sustained run, much longer than he really has over the course of his career."

“He’s had a lot of injuries at bad times. I talked to Cain about this, and it sucks. For a guy who was talented and committed to the sport, he’s probably lost five years. Can you imagine what Cain Velasquez’s resume would look like without five years worth of time on the shelf? It’s so sad to think about, but I believe that he has finally gotten himself in a position where his body is going to be able to match his work ethic, his mind, his ferociousness, his mentality, everything, and allow him to go on a run. A long, sustained run to kinda finish out his career.”

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/d ... ained-run/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Aloha
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is back and ready for “a long sustained run”

Postby Aloha » Dec 12. 2017, 05:54

Cain was a beast, and I'll always remember him as the one who finally exposed Brock Lesnar (Carwin would have beat Lesnar, but he gassed after that 1st round = cheap steroid-style)

Cain always had amazing top/down ability & cardio for days, but AKA training was blamed for causing injuries due to over-aggressiveness (accusers should have seen the old Miletich camps).  After wins + injuries for years, Cain went to Mexico City's high altitude  + an altitude-acclimated Werdum took him out.  

Injuries suck + many fi¥ghters (like Cain) don't advertise their problems = they just fight their best + don't make excuses.   Cain is pretty old now, but has as good a chance as any at getting the title off Stipe (Stipe should expose Ngannou & then who can challenge him - look at the HW rankings...

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Re: Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is back and ready for “a long sustained run”

Postby Kizzo » Dec 12. 2017, 06:26

Aloha wrote:Cain was a beast, and I'll always remember him as the one who finally exposed Brock Lesnar (Carwin would have beat Lesnar, but he gassed after that 1st round = cheap steroid-style)

Cain always had amazing top/down ability & cardio for days, but AKA training was blamed for causing injuries due to over-aggressiveness (accusers should have seen the old Miletich camps).  After wins + injuries for years, Cain went to Mexico City's high altitude  + an altitude-acclimated Werdum took him out.  

Injuries suck + many fi¥ghters (like Cain) don't advertise their problems = they just fight their best + don't make excuses.   Cain is pretty old now, but has as good a chance as any at getting the title off Stipe (Stipe should expose Ngannou & then who can challenge him - look at the HW rankings...

Stick around kiddo. I'm sure your generic mma comments are going to spice up this forum in no time.  :like

CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

rique000
Zuffa
Zuffa

Postby rique000 » Dec 12. 2017, 09:52

Aloha wrote:Cain was a beast, and I'll always remember him as the one who finally exposed Brock Lesnar (Carwin would have beat Lesnar, but he gassed after that 1st round = cheap steroid-style)

It's great to hear he's healthy again.

He's been fighting 11 years now and if the 9 year rule is true, he is past his prime.  :(

I hope he is an exception to the rule.
My ownage and reign over MMASHARE deplorables is sacrosanct.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60731&start=9800

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Dec 12. 2017, 09:57

rique000 wrote:

It's great to hear he's healthy again.

He's been fighting 11 years now and if the 9 year rule is true, he is past his prime.  :(

I hope he is an exception to the rule.

:lol:  Look at this faggot pretending to be an mma fan.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Dec 12. 2017, 10:06

Cain Velasquez close to UFC return claims teammate Daniel Cormier
The former UFC heavyweight champion has fought just twice in the last four years

Things could be about to get very interesting at heavyweight.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez is close to returning to action following an injury which has limited his Octagon appearances to just two in the last four years. This is according to Daniel Cormier, friend and teammate of Velasquez, who says this could be the start of a sustained, injury-free run in the UFC for the once dominant heavyweight.
The American Kickboxing Academy standout Velasquez is a two-time former champion in the UFC’s heavyweight division. He originally won the belt from Brock Lesnar in October of 2010 before losing it in his first defense against Junior Dos Santos in the UFC’s first FOX broadcast in November of the following year.

He regained the championship from Dos Santos in their rematch a year later, defending it against Antonio Silva and Dos Santos once more before surrendering it to Fabricio Werdum in June 2015. Velasquez’s only fight since was a first round TKO victory against Travis Browne at UFC 200.

Velasquez was slated to face Werdum in a rematch at UFC 207 but that was cancelled at the eleventh hour after the Nevada Athletic Commission denied him a license to fight. citing a medical examination and interviews as the reason for opting to pull him from the card.

Now, however, with Velasquez’s injuries behind him, the UFC’s light heavyweight champion Cormier has sent a warning those at the top of the heavyweight rankings.

“Getting prepared for something is amazing but anytime @officialcainvelasquez is in the training room you know training goes to another level,” Cormier wrote on Instagram. “So good to have this dude back, he’s played such a huge part in my journey it’s hard when he’s gone."

Appearing on this week’s episode of The MMA Hour, Cormier elaborated further on Velasquez’s impending return to action.

“He’s back to training, and it hurts, but it nothing’s felt better for a long time,” the light heavyweight champion said. “It does suck to have to go in there and work with Cain, because he’s so much better than everybody else that’s ever been around, but it’s good to have him, man. Just seeing him back doing what he loves to do, it’s amazing as a friend and as a fan of mixed martial arts, because if Cain gets back, you guys know what he does for the heavyweight division. He makes for some very, very interesting and fun fights."

Velasquez, now 35, has lost several of his prime years to injury. With Stipe Miocic and Francis Ngannou set to duel in the new year, along with the impending return of a former champion, the UFC’s heavyweight fold looks as interesting as it ever has.

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/c ... l-cormier/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Dec 12. 2017, 10:15

You find the coolest gifs & pics for your articles, Robert. I like your style. :like
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

JackHawk MMA
H.O.F. CRI4
H.O.F. CRI4

Postby JackHawk MMA » Dec 12. 2017, 10:17

Kizzo wrote:

Stick around kiddo. I'm sure your generic mma comments are going to spice up this forum in no time.  :like

:lol:
In other news... kicks and punches hurt.
Brian Stann for President.

"f**k you George"

MMI - Northeast Squadron

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Dec 12. 2017, 10:23

JackHawk MMA wrote:
Kizzo wrote:

:lol:
In other news... kicks and punches hurt.

So I hear, but stupidity may hurt more (see Riqtardo).  :lol:
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

hippielove
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby hippielove » Dec 12. 2017, 12:23

Welcome back and Stipe is a great matchup!

In other news... 

Seat back and watch Ur buddy Cormier fight Stipe, make millions, break records, coach tuf and retire... good ole pal...  :like
Last edited by hippielove on Jan 29. 2018, 18:34, edited 2 times in total.
★ Peace, Love ★ Happiness stuff ★

Satsquach
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Satsquach » Jan 4. 2018, 06:07

Cain vs Jones then.... cause we all know Jones is innocent and will be back also.

Satsquach
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Satsquach » Jan 4. 2018, 06:07

Cain vs Jones then.... cause we all know Jones is innocent and will be back also.

TheDemon305
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby TheDemon305 » Jan 4. 2018, 20:52

Satsquach wrote:Cain vs Jones then.... cause we all know Jones is innocent and will be back also.

Its funny because around the time JJ fought Shogun, i always thought he could move up and do work if not destroy the HW division. With his size, reach and fight style he would have dominated and been 2 Div Champ IMO. Cain vs Jones would have been a craaazzzy fight. 
"Bite hard get bit hard but don't run".

"A loss is a lesson nothing more,how you soak in that lesson will determine whether it was a gain or a loss".

-Bruce Lee,Bas Rutten,Lyoto Machida,Forrest Griffin,Randy Couture,Petrosyan.

MajorBA
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby MajorBA » Jan 4. 2018, 21:30

TheDemon305 wrote:
Satsquach wrote:Cain vs Jones then.... cause we all know Jones is innocent and will be back also.

Its funny because around the time JJ fought Shogun, i always thought he could move up and do work if not destroy the HW division. With his size, reach and fight style he would have dominated and been 2 Div Champ IMO. Cain vs Jones would have been a craaazzzy fight. 

I always thought the idea of Jones having much success as a heavyweight was unlikely.  He would always be a relatively "light" heavyweight.  Negating the takedown from a 205 lb. Cormier with those bird legs, minuscule hips, and being so top heavy was something miraculous.  Considering center of gravity, center of mass, and base of support of a legitimately built heavyweight, it seems a reasonable conclusion that jones would be on his back getting mauled easily by the guys showing up at weigh-ins at the 245-265 lb range and likely fighting at 20 lbs. heavier than that.  
"If they will play fair I will play fair, but if they won't then I reserve all my rights to do anything I find myself able to do."-William Howard Taft

"We can't cure stupid, but we can alleviate it's symptoms."-MajorBA

Return to “MMA TALK”