Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is back and ready for “a long sustained run”

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Re: Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is back and ready for “a long sustained run”

Postby xSamWaynex » Jan 5. 2018, 03:14

To be honest I don't know what to think about Cain. He used to be known as a cardio king, and then stricter testing was implemented and next thing ya know he was fighting at the same level as everyone else in the HW division that were considered elite level HW's. That caused me to question him a bit, but that's just me. While he is still ranked number 3 in the HW division for the UFC, I don't see why he should hold that high of a ranking. Especially since he hasn't fought since July of 2016. I personally don't see him being able to recapture the belt and live up to his glory days. IF he can come back and prove he is still as good as he ever was, or possibly even better in some aspects, I will be more than willing to eat crow. At 35, he is pushing it a bit though. While some fighters are able to fight at the highest level well into their 40's, ie Randy Couture, for the most part fighters begin to fade right around this age. Again though if he can come back and prove me wrong I will more than willing to be man enough to admit I was wrong.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Re: Daniel Cormier says Cain Velasquez is back and ready for “a long sustained run”

Postby Synergy » Jan 9. 2018, 02:05

MajorBA wrote:
TheDemon305 wrote:
Satsquach wrote:Cain vs Jones then.... cause we all know Jones is innocent and will be back also.

Its funny because around the time JJ fought Shogun, i always thought he could move up and do work if not destroy the HW division. With his size, reach and fight style he would have dominated and been 2 Div Champ IMO. Cain vs Jones would have been a craaazzzy fight. 

I always thought the idea of Jones having much success as a heavyweight was unlikely.  He would always be a relatively "light" heavyweight.  Negating the takedown from a 205 lb. Cormier with those bird legs, minuscule hips, and being so top heavy was something miraculous.  Considering center of gravity, center of mass, and base of support of a legitimately built heavyweight, it seems a reasonable conclusion that jones would be on his back getting mauled easily by the guys showing up at weigh-ins at the 245-265 lb range and likely fighting at 20 lbs. heavier than that.  

After seeing Jones stuff Cormiers takedowns, he probably could stuff takedowns of all HWs.
So then it comes down to whether Jones standup would work at HW. It would have been interesting to see.
After all Jones beat Cormier who dominated HWs. Off course MMA math doesn't usually work like that, which is why it would have been an interesting experiment.

[font='Noto Sans', sans-serif]To be honest I don't know what to think about Cain. He used to be known as a cardio king, and then stricter testing was implemented and next thing ya know he was fighting at the same level as everyone else in the HW division[/font]

Yeah there were lots of Cain on EPO rumours doing the round till the golden snitch was hired. Suddenly his cardio fell off, though to be fair injuries, age, wear and tear on body may be the reason, rather than lack of juice.

I hope we can see the old Cain back, but I think that ship has sailed. A beaten down and semi broken body and strict drug testing is not a good combo for an old injured fighter making a successful comeback.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Jan 9. 2018, 04:06

Synergy wrote:
[font='Noto Sans', sans-serif]To be honest I don't know what to think about Cain. He used to be known as a cardio king, and then stricter testing was implemented and next thing ya know he was fighting at the same level as everyone else in the HW division[/font]

Yeah there were lots of Cain on EPO rumours doing the round till the golden snitch was hired. Suddenly his cardio fell off, though to be fair injuries, age, wear and tear on body may be the reason, rather than lack of juice.

I hope we can see the old Cain back, but I think that ship has sailed. A beaten down and semi broken body and strict drug testing is not a good combo for an old injured fighter making a successful comeback.

I really didn't want to blame it on EPO myself, as I actually like Cain as a fighter, and of course he very well might not have been and it could just be pure speculation on the part of those who believe it. That being said, you have to look at the change in him from one fight to the next. He was his regular "Cardio Cain" self until he fought Werdum in Mexico City. I know Mexico City is at a high elevation, so that could've played a part in it of course. However we also have to remember that the Mexico City fight was shortly after they banned IV's after weigh ins, and when stricter testing was implemented as well. Blaming it on age and wear and tear seems a bit meh for me to be honest, especially since he showed no signs of fatigue or problems before the ban was in place and the stricter testing started happening. NOW he might be able to use that excuse, because of ring rust and a long lay off, but BEFORE....I just don't buy it ya know?
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Synergy
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Synergy » Jan 9. 2018, 06:15

That being said, you have to look at the change in him from one fight to the next. He was his regular "Cardio Cain" self until he fought Werdum in Mexico City. I know Mexico City is at a high elevation, so that could've played a part in it of course. However we also have to remember that the Mexico City fight was shortly after they banned IV's after weigh ins, and when stricter testing was implemented as well. Blaming it on age and wear and tear seems a bit meh for me to be honest, especially since he showed no signs of fatigue or problems before the ban was in place and the stricter testing started happening.

Yes it was suspicious, which is why I mentioned it.

However he was fighting after a 2 year layoff from injuries and fighting at altitude. Given he hadn't popped before for PEDs, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.
His next fight, especially if it goes 3 rounds (and isn't a quick finish) will be interesting. If he can keep up the kind of pace and pressure he usually did, then Cain was/is just a freak. If he slows down and tires quickly, then you have to wonder.

RICHDOGPAIL
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby RICHDOGPAIL » Jan 13. 2018, 02:56

Synergy wrote:
MajorBA wrote:
TheDemon305 wrote:Its funny because around the time JJ fought Shogun, i always thought he could move up and do work if not destroy the HW division. With his size, reach and fight style he would have dominated and been 2 Div Champ IMO. Cain vs Jones would have been a craaazzzy fight. 

I always thought the idea of Jones having much success as a heavyweight was unlikely.  He would always be a relatively "light" heavyweight.  Negating the takedown from a 205 lb. Cormier with those bird legs, minuscule hips, and being so top heavy was something miraculous.  Considering center of gravity, center of mass, and base of support of a legitimately built heavyweight, it seems a reasonable conclusion that jones would be on his back getting mauled easily by the guys showing up at weigh-ins at the 245-265 lb range and likely fighting at 20 lbs. heavier than that.  

After seeing Jones stuff Cormiers takedowns, he probably could stuff takedowns of all HWs.
So then it comes down to whether Jones standup would work at HW. It would have been interesting to see.
After all Jones beat Cormier who dominated HWs. Off course MMA math doesn't usually work like that, which is why it would have been an interesting experiment.

All of this exactly synergy.

RICHDOGPAIL
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby RICHDOGPAIL » Jan 13. 2018, 02:57

Dear Sam Wayne I still can't read your wall of texts... please summarize

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Jan 13. 2018, 21:04

RICHDOGPAIL wrote:Dear Sam Wayne I still can't read your wall of texts... please summarize

Rich I wouldn't consider a single paragraph to be a "wall of text", but for your sake I shall endeavor to shorten my replies and comments. Even though I still don't see what the big deal is.

RICHDOGPAIL
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby RICHDOGPAIL » Jan 28. 2018, 20:55

xSamWaynex wrote:
RICHDOGPAIL wrote:Dear Sam Wayne I still can't read your wall of texts... please summarize

Rich I wouldn't consider a single paragraph to be a "wall of text", but for your sake I shall endeavor to shorten my replies and comments. Even though I still don't see what the big deal is.

I like your reply it was more concise and to the point... im allergic to words, your replies gave me hives sometimes.  I feel like the world should bend to my needs you know..?  No biggie

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Jan 28. 2018, 22:36

RICHDOGPAIL wrote:
xSamWaynex wrote:

I like your reply it was more concise and to the point... im allergic to words, your replies gave me hives sometimes.  I feel like the world should bend to my needs you know..?  No biggie

I feel the same way about me asking hot chicks for blowjobs and them telling me no. I feel like those women should just bend their knees you know..? No biggie. haha

RICHDOGPAIL
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby RICHDOGPAIL » Jan 31. 2018, 02:19

... Hahaha do they say no because it's no biggie? More of a smallie?

I don't judge man, we cool

H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby 770 » Jan 31. 2018, 02:41

xSamWaynex wrote:I feel the same way about me asking hot chicks for blowjobs and them telling me no. I feel like those women should just bend their knees you know..? No biggie. haha

You own a body-shop, Sam? Well so did Angelo Buono. He and his cousin, Kenneth Bianchi, encountered the exact same problem. What I mean is, these guys found a way to make it happen, and I know you can too, man. Just do it. It's there for the taking, bro :like

H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby 770 » Jan 31. 2018, 02:47

RICHDOGPAIL wrote: 
I feel like the world should bend to my needs you know..?  No biggie

I feel ya, Rich. Things would be much easier 1930's Germany style. People really knew how to listen  :like

Return to “MMA TALK”