Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

Dana White: Robert Whittaker is next for Georges St-Pierre

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Dana White: Robert Whittaker is next for Georges St-Pierre

Postby Robert223 » Dec 6. 2017, 17:55

Georges St-Pierre “doesn’t think” he’ll fight at 185-pounds again
“We’ll talk about it, but I’m not sure if I compete I will go back at 185,” St-Pierre said, speaking with TSN. “I don’t think so.”

It opens the door for a return to welterweight, where GSP originally made his name as one of the best of all time in the sport.

“I don’t think it’s a good thing to do, force myself to eat to gain muscle mass,” St-Pierre said. “I’ve always been against performance-enhancing drugs, and I did it the natural way. There is no easy way. I did it the hard way and it was to gain weight and to maintain my muscles mass and it was very hard and it was not healthy. I think the body has a natural weight it can perform at its best athletic ability and for me, the weight that I am now is my perfect weight.”

According to MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani, the UFC are now looking to book interim champion Robert Whittaker against Luke Rockhold for UFC 221 in Perth, Australia.

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/g ... 85-pounds/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Dec 11. 2017, 07:59

Dana White: Georges St-Pierre “came out, and he hand-picked Bisping and went away again”
Dana White says he’s not the least bit surprised Georges St-Pierre has vacated his world title.

A few days before UFC 218, UFC president Dana White pledged that he would be “super pissed” if Georges St-Pierre announced an intention to vacate his middleweight title.

A week later, and although it was through illness as opposed to a general apprehension of competing, St-Pierre revealed he would be giving up the 185-belt, and was unsure when he’d return to the cage. Whittaker was promoted from interim champion to lineal champion, and is set to face Luke Rockhold at UFC 221.

And amazingly, White’s not pissed.

“I thought I would be, but I’m not. I expected it,” White said, speaking to the media after UFC Fresno on Saturday. “Listen, I had him sign a contract that said he would defend against Whittaker for a reason. Because I knew he wouldn’t.
“At the end of the day, there’s a reason I put that stuff in the contract for him to sign. Am I shocked? I don’t think anybody’s shocked. He came out, and he hand-picked Bisping and went away again. So, whatever. It is what it is.”

St-Pierre’s next move is uncertain. Diagnosed with a bout of colitis, St-Pierre’s previous intentions of fighting again fairly quickly appear to have been dashed. Some now believe that, with the expectation of middleweight being removed, St-Pierre will look to move back down to 170-pounds, the division he originally made his name at.

Dana White isn’t convinced.

“He doesn’t want to fight anybody at welterweight,” White said. “That’s why he fought Bisping. He didn’t want to fight Woodley. He didn’t want to fight ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson. He didn’t want to fight any of those guys. He only wanted to fight Michael Bisping. He did, and now he’s off again.”

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/d ... e-vacated/

Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby Lukeo » Dec 12. 2017, 04:12

f**k GSP... this after the shit he pulled to postpone the fight in the first place.

Kizzo
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Dec 12. 2017, 04:14

Lukeo wrote:f**k GSP... this after the shit he pulled to postpone the fight in the first place.

Forgot about that. This made my butt-hurt go up way more. :lol:
Last edited by Kizzo on Dec 12. 2017, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Robert223 » Dec 12. 2017, 05:12

Georges St-Pierre’s coach says “it’s a definite possibility” GSP never fights again; felt he might get KO’d by Bisping

Georges St-Pierre might have overcome the four year lay-off to beat Michael Bisping, but it turns out that he beat a lot more than just the cage rust.

Georges St-Pierre’s return at UFC 217 was a stunning achievement considering how long he’d been out of the cage.

There grows a whole new level of appreciation when it comes to light just how sick St-Pierre got before he stepped into the Octagon to face Michael Bisping in Madison Square Garden. Since his victory — one that made him the fourth man to hold two belts in two divisions — St-Pierre was diagnosed with colitis, and as such he vacated his middleweight title.

What fans were unaware of, however, is just how bad things got in the lead up to the contest with Bisping, and how close St-Pierre was to pulling from the historic contest.

Speaking on MMAFighting’s The MMA Hour today, St-Pierre’s coach John Danaher revealed that during what was supposed to be the Canadian’s peak performance period in training, St-Pierre was riddled with illness and looked unable to compete at his previous levels.

“By halfway through this camp there was something very obviously wrong,” Danaher said. “Georges was having serious medical problems. Two weeks into the camp, and they persisted throughout. They peaked in a six week camp between week four and week two out from the main event. Things got so bad, we lost two weeks with zero training. So the camp was really something of a disaster.”

“That was the obvious question: should he pull out?” Danaher continued. “There was a critical three day period when we’d lost a week and a half of training where the camp was in complete disaray, and all momentum for the camp had been lost. I remember on the Friday night having a discussion with Firas Zahabi, Georges and myself as whether things were going to go forward from here or if we should just pull the plug."

“It was a big event. Madison Square Garden is one of the biggest venues for the modern UFC. And so to pull out that soon before, politically that would be a major, major decision. And it wouldn’t look good for Georges career … for Georges to pull out just two weeks before would have been politically disastrous.”

In the end, St-Pierre’s durability flared up, and managed to turn the camp around in the last two weeks of the camp. According to Danaher, the medical issues didn’t go away, but lucky for St-Pierre the symptoms had subsided enough for the former welterweight champion to compete.

Just because St-Pierre was able to step into the cage, however, Danaher and his coaches were not necessarily confident in their charge. So bad was the two week period which left St-Pierre unable to train, Danaher approached fellow coach Zahabi to share his belief that Bisping would win the then-upcoming contest.

“I’m not going to lie to you,” Danaher said. “Two weeks out before the fight, I had a talk with Firas Zahabi, and I straight forwardly said to him that ‘the Georges St-Pierre I saw train today gets knocked out by Michael Bisping nine times out of ten. That was two weeks before the fight. And Firas looked at me, and I looked at him, and we didn’t say a word. We both knew it was true. It was an absolutely critical period.”

Amazingly, St-Pierre rallied.

“I was greatly impressed by the degree of improvement in a week and a half,” Danaher said. “Georges went from looking like a second rate fighter to something very close to the old Georges St-Pierre.”

Now, St-Pierre’s career is in flux. Having vacated the title he had agreed to defend against Robert Whittaker, the question moves from St-Pierre’s next title defence to whether or not he’ll ever compete again. According to his coach, the medical condition from which St-Pierre is suffering is so debilitating that it’s “a definite possibility” we never see St-Pierre fight in the cage again.

“These are life-changing decisions, so they will have to made on the basis of Georges’ reaction to the medications that he’s taking for ulcerative colitis,” Danaher said. “From what I understand, the standard medications for ulcerative colitis take some considerable amount time to take effect – anywhere from three to eight months – before you’ll even notice any changes. We have to see how he reacts to his medication regiment and make a decision based on that.”

https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/g ... y-bisping/

Return to “MMA TALK”