Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

POLL: Anderson Silva vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.

Who ya got?

anderson
56%
gastelum
44%

Total votes: 9

Gogh
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

POLL: Anderson Silva vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Postby Gogh » Aug 10. 2017, 21:29

It didn’t happen in Rio de Janeiro or New York, but it seems Kelvin Gastelum will finally get to add another chapter to his legend-hunting mission against former UFC champion Anderson Silva.

According to multiple reports, the middleweights have agreed to meet in the headliner of the UFC’s debut in mainland China, set to take place at Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai on Nov. 25.

FloCombat.com first reported the news.

Kelvin Gastelum planning welterweight return after loss to 'really strong' Chris Weidman

The middleweights were originally set to meet at UFC 212 in Rio de Janeiro, but Gastelum (14-3 MMA, 9-3 UFC) had to be pulled from the bout after testing positive for marijuana metabolites in a test stemming from a previous bout with Vitor Belfort. A suitable replacement couldn’t be found for Silva  (34-8 MMA, 17-4 UFC), who ended up out of the card altogether.

Gastelum then suggested a meeting in Long Island, New York, which hosted UFC on FOX 25 on July 22. Gastelum got the date but ended up meeting another ex-champ in Chris Weidman. Gastelum suffered a third-round submission, which also meant his first loss since a split decision to Neil Magny in 2015.

This will be Silva’s first octagon outing since February, when a close decision win over Derek Brunson at UFC 208 snapped a two-fight losing skid. Silva, who had a decision victory over Nick Diaz at UFC 183 later overturned after both fighters failed doping tests, hadn’t had an official UFC win since 2012.

Before his title-costing loss to Weidman, however, the record-breaking former champion was on a 17-fight victorious run. Silva is still widely considered one of the best to ever grace the octagon.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/08/anderson-silva-vs-kelvin-gastelum-targeted-ufc-fight-night-shanghai

You might need to turn off AdBlock

in mma's dark age of roids, gsp was the best conditioned of them all. things that make you go hhhhmmmmmm

mma is a dog n pony show disguised as a legitimately run sport

detroit770
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: POLL: Anderson Silva vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Postby detroit770 » Aug 10. 2017, 22:03

Meh. Gastelum is just going backwards. Who wants to see this fight :roll:
RIQUE CRUZ MARTINEZ

Tits
H.O.F. CRI3
H.O.F. CRI3

Postby Tits » Aug 11. 2017, 00:56

Tacos > WW belt

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Aug 11. 2017, 05:53

Anderson will have a 5 inch height advantage, and a 6 inch reach advantage over Gastelum. Gastelum should not be fighting at middleweight. I am 6 foot even, and when I was fighting at middleweight a lot of the other fighters in the division were taller than me as well and I am a full three inches taller than Gastelum and have a two inch reach advantage against him as well. I am not saying he can't win the fight, but come on man sometimes you have to pick your battles. He should try and win the battle over weight cutting so he can go back down to welterweight and actually make a go of it rather than fighting guys that will be much bigger than him. Then again that's just my opinion on the subject.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

DarbyCrash81
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby DarbyCrash81 » Aug 13. 2017, 20:57

xSamWaynex wrote:Anderson will have a 5 inch height advantage, and a 6 inch reach advantage over Gastelum. Gastelum should not be fighting at middleweight. I am 6 foot even, and when I was fighting at middleweight a lot of the other fighters in the division were taller than me as well and I am a full three inches taller than Gastelum and have a two inch reach advantage against him as well. I am not saying he can't win the fight, but come on man sometimes you have to pick your battles. He should try and win the battle over weight cutting so he can go back down to welterweight and actually make a go of it rather than fighting guys that will be much bigger than him. Then again that's just my opinion on the subject.

Kelvin already said his place is at WW. Awhile back he said he couldnt beat the trio of Weidman, Rockhold and Souza. I'm sure Silva feels this is a winnable fight for him and readily accepted this fight. And why wouldnt Kelvin jump on this nice payday with a chance to take out one of the goat? He'd be an idiot not to. He's young and can go back to 170 after this fight.
No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity
But I know none and therefore am no beast

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Aug 13. 2017, 22:19

DarbyCrash81 wrote:Kelvin already said his place is at WW. Awhile back he said he couldnt beat the trio of Weidman, Rockhold and Souza. I'm sure Silva feels this is a winnable fight for him and readily accepted this fight. And why wouldnt Kelvin jump on this nice payday with a chance to take out one of the goat? He'd be an idiot not to. He's young and can go back to 170 after this fight.

I remember him saying he wants to fight at WW, but I also remember him saying that he loves to eat and that he needs to work on his weight cutting if he wants to be able to fight at that weight. I understand him wanting to fight a big name, but that doesn't mean a big payday, as Kelvin is already under contract to fight for a certain amount of money. He won't make anymore money fighting Anderson than he would some other mid tier guy in either WW or MW. Taking out one of the GOAT'S that would be good for his resume, but taking out a guy who hasn't been considered GOAT status for over 3 years now by the majority of fighters and fans, isn't exactly the feather in the cap it once would've been ya know? Especially since he very well might not be able to get the job done. This is basically a lose lose for Kelvin, and I feel bad for him because of that.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

DarbyCrash81
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby DarbyCrash81 » Aug 15. 2017, 01:14

xSamWaynex wrote:
DarbyCrash81 wrote:Kelvin already said his place is at WW. Awhile back he said he couldnt beat the trio of Weidman, Rockhold and Souza. I'm sure Silva feels this is a winnable fight for him and readily accepted this fight. And why wouldnt Kelvin jump on this nice payday with a chance to take out one of the goat? He'd be an idiot not to. He's young and can go back to 170 after this fight.

I remember him saying he wants to fight at WW, but I also remember him saying that he loves to eat and that he needs to work on his weight cutting if he wants to be able to fight at that weight. I understand him wanting to fight a big name, but that doesn't mean a big payday, as Kelvin is already under contract to fight for a certain amount of money. He won't make anymore money fighting Anderson than he would some other mid tier guy in either WW or MW. Taking out one of the GOAT'S that would be good for his resume, but taking out a guy who hasn't been considered GOAT status for over 3 years now by the majority of fighters and fans, isn't exactly the feather in the cap it once would've been ya know? Especially since he very well might not be able to get the job done. This is basically a lose lose for Kelvin, and I feel bad for him because of that.

No definitely not the same prestige in beating Silva now. Though he's half the fighter he use to be and thats why i think Kelvin can take this. Weidman showed his weight and strength advantage were too much for Kelvins skillset, but i think he can beat an eroding and aging Silva who wont grapple with him. Also if its a main event and 5 rounds, i believe it is a bigger payday than say a 3 round fight. 

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Aug 15. 2017, 01:51

DarbyCrash81 wrote:No definitely not the same prestige in beating Silva now. Though he's half the fighter he use to be and thats why i think Kelvin can take this. Weidman showed his weight and strength advantage were too much for Kelvins skillset, but i think he can beat an eroding and aging Silva who wont grapple with him. Also if its a main event and 5 rounds, i believe it is a bigger payday than say a 3 round fight. 

I'm not saying that Kelvin can't win, I'm just saying that he might not be able to get the job done. If Kelvin wins it will still be a feather in his cap, but as we both agreed beating Silva NOW doesn't carry the same prestige it once did. As far as the payday part of it, Kelvin is under contract for his fights, and that doesn't matter if it is main event or just on the card ya know? He will get the same amount for showing up, and the same amount for a win bonus. The only way he could make it a semi big pay day is if he were able to get a KO or submission against Silva and then get a performance bonus. If I were Kelvin I would be trying my damndest to make WW, as I truly believe he has a real chance of capturing the belt at that weight class, rather than trying to beat an aging Silva. That's just my take on the matter though.

DarbyCrash81
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby DarbyCrash81 » Aug 17. 2017, 15:48

xSamWaynex wrote:
DarbyCrash81 wrote:No definitely not the same prestige in beating Silva now. Though he's half the fighter he use to be and thats why i think Kelvin can take this. Weidman showed his weight and strength advantage were too much for Kelvins skillset, but i think he can beat an eroding and aging Silva who wont grapple with him. Also if its a main event and 5 rounds, i believe it is a bigger payday than say a 3 round fight. 

I'm not saying that Kelvin can't win, I'm just saying that he might not be able to get the job done. If Kelvin wins it will still be a feather in his cap, but as we both agreed beating Silva NOW doesn't carry the same prestige it once did. As far as the payday part of it, Kelvin is under contract for his fights, and that doesn't matter if it is main event or just on the card ya know? He will get the same amount for showing up, and the same amount for a win bonus. The only way he could make it a semi big pay day is if he were able to get a KO or submission against Silva and then get a performance bonus. If I were Kelvin I would be trying my damndest to make WW, as I truly believe he has a real chance of capturing the belt at that weight class, rather than trying to beat an aging Silva. That's just my take on the matter though.

I agree 100% with you that he should find the discipline, strength... to move back down to 170lbs. Its where he will ultimately have the most success. I'd like to believe that it was an epiphany for him to realize that his skillset was not enough to overcome Weidman's size and power. Kelvin lost to Woodley by split decision and im sure we both know that he wasnt in the best shape or had proper conditioning. Imagine if he was? The Silva of several years ago would piece Kelvin up but this version should get beat. Also with Rory- the best 170lbr in the world (truly believe this) now healthy, and Larkin at Bellator, that path to the WW Belt is a little less cluttered. Damn, with Maia and Thompson out of the picture also, Kelvin should slide right in. Maybe he shouldnt waste his time with Silva.

Return to “MMA TALK”