Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Whittaker injured, GSP wants to fight Bisping

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Gogh
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Whittaker injured, GSP wants to fight Bisping

Postby Gogh » Jul 25. 2017, 20:31

GEORGES ST-PIERRE PUSHES FOR FIGHT WITH MICHAEL BISPING AGAIN WITH ROBERT WHITTAKER INJURED
July 25, 2017  Damon Martin

Georges St-Pierre isn’t giving up hope on his fight with middleweight champion Michael Bisping just yet.

It appeared all hope was lost for St-Pierre to face Bisping in his first fight back since 2013 when UFC president Dana White pulled the plug on the matchup and instead insisted that the current king at middleweight face new interim champion Robert Whittaker.

Unfortunately, Whittaker suffered a knee injury in his fight with Yoel Romero that will reportedly keep him out of action for the remainder of the year.

With that delay in mind, St-Pierre called into Bisping’s “Believe You Me” podcast this week to once again push for the title fight between the two of them later this year.

“Sometimes in sports the misfortune of people makes the good luck of others. That’s what happened in this case. I had an injury, you had an injury, which created an opportunity for the other guy but the other guy Robert Whittaker had bad luck, he had an injury. It put us back into the initial situation we were in,” St-Pierre said.

“It’s up to Dana White, I texted Dana, he knows I want to fight you. Hopefully if the boss wants, the fight’s going to happen. I think the fans want to see this fight.”

St-Pierre added that he’s already invested a lot of time and money into a fight at middleweight, which is just another reason why he hopes Bisping will ultimately serve as his opponent when he returns to the Octagon later this year.

Of course, White has stated that he wanted St-Pierre to return to welterweight where he was a nine-time defending champion, but the veteran Canadian is still hoping that he can get the Bisping fight before anything else.

“For myself, I invest myself a lot in this. I was following a diet and everything. I hired a dietician and I spent a lot of time, money and energy on this,” St-Pierre said about the fight with Bisping. “That’s why it was frustrating for me when I heard the fight was not going to happen.

“But like I said the misfortune of Robert Whittaker unfortunately, I like him, he’s a very nice guy, he got an injury. I never wish anyone bad luck but because of his misfortune perhaps that puts us back right in the initial situation where we were supposed to fight each other, which I hope will happen. Hopefully November.”

The UFC has a card currently rumored for Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden in New York, which would seem to be the perfect backdrop for St-Pierre’s return to action.

St-Pierre has long standing ties to the New York area while working with coaches such as John Danaher and Erik Owings plus his return will likely be a hot ticket no matter where he fights, but Madison Square Garden would certainly be a historic setting.

Obviously, Bisping didn’t need to be convinced that a fight with St-Pierre later this year made the most sense, especially with Whittaker out of action for now.

Bisping hasn’t fought since last October and he clearly doesn’t want to sit out and wait until 2018 to make his return to action so a fight with St-Pierre in November is still what he wants most right now.

“The interim champion now is sidelined,” Bisping said. “I don’t see a reason why this shouldn’t happen. Fingers crossed my friend we get to do this at the end of the year.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/georges-st-pierre-pushes-for-fight-with-michael-bisping-again-with-robert-whittaker-injured

You might need to turn off AdBlock

in mma's dark age of roids, gsp was the best conditioned of them all. things that make you go hhhhmmmmmm

mma is a dog n pony show disguised as a legitimately run sport

ghostwheel
CRI1
CRI1

Re: Whittaker injured, GSP wants to fight Bisping

Postby ghostwheel » Jul 26. 2017, 00:15

I'm not terribly interested in seeing this fight but I can't think of anyone else at MW who deserves a title shot. Rockhold hasn't fought since he lost the title to Bisping. Romero and Souza are both coming off losses. Weidman just won, but he's 1-3 in his last 4. Silva was gifted a win over Brunson after going 0-4-1 since 2012. GSP? I mean... I guess so? :lol:
You people voted for Hubert Humphrey, and you killed Jesus!

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Jul 26. 2017, 01:32

I could be wrong but I honestly see this as a money grab by the new owners of the UFC. They knew that the Whittaker fight wasn't going to draw that much PPV numbers even with Bisping selling the hell out of the fight. That's not a slight against Whittaker or anything, I actually like the guy and his style of fighting, but he simply isn't known as a great promoter ya know? So instead of having a somewhat meh fight, why not have a "superfight"? Bisping can sell a fight much better with GSP on the card as his opponent, thus making more money for the company overall. Like I said I could be wrong, but call me crazy, I really don't think I am.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

homegrown123
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby homegrown123 » Jul 26. 2017, 02:23

gsp is managing to ruin his legacy without even fighting.

homegrown123
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby homegrown123 » Jul 26. 2017, 02:23

xSamWaynex wrote:I could be wrong but I honestly see this as a money grab by the new owners of the UFC. They knew that the Whittaker fight wasn't going to draw that much PPV numbers even with Bisping selling the hell out of the fight. That's not a slight against Whittaker or anything, I actually like the guy and his style of fighting, but he simply isn't known as a great promoter ya know? So instead of having a somewhat meh fight, why not have a "superfight"? Bisping can sell a fight much better with GSP on the card as his opponent, thus making more money for the company overall. Like I said I could be wrong, but call me crazy, I really don't think I am.

i might agree except whitaker visibly injured his knee in the romero fight. 

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Jul 26. 2017, 02:38

homegrown123 wrote:
xSamWaynex wrote:I could be wrong but I honestly see this as a money grab by the new owners of the UFC. They knew that the Whittaker fight wasn't going to draw that much PPV numbers even with Bisping selling the hell out of the fight. That's not a slight against Whittaker or anything, I actually like the guy and his style of fighting, but he simply isn't known as a great promoter ya know? So instead of having a somewhat meh fight, why not have a "superfight"? Bisping can sell a fight much better with GSP on the card as his opponent, thus making more money for the company overall. Like I said I could be wrong, but call me crazy, I really don't think I am.

i might agree except whitaker visibly injured his knee in the romero fight. 

Sorry about that I see where it could've been taken that I didn't believe Whittaker was really injured, my bad haha. There is no doubt that Whittaker is injured, but I think something similar would've happened even if he hadn't of gotten a real injury ya know? Whittaker showed a bunch of respect to Bisping, and sadly that doesn't really sell fights anymore. When a company like WME-IMG spends billions like that, they want to recoup the cost as soon as possible, and a guy who is mild mannered and respectful isn't going to sell as many fights at the moment as a brash shit talker no matter how great at fighting the respectful guy is. Being a great fighter used to be enough, look at the numbers GSP was pulling off while he was still actively fighting. Now because of Conor, Chael, Rampage, Bisping and a few others the WWE-esque shtick has a tendency to sell more fights to the newest influx of MMA fans.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

homegrown123
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby homegrown123 » Jul 26. 2017, 03:09

yeah it's a bummer but it's true. i don't know about you but i see this as a lose lose for gsp. if he wins a boring decision (which i find likely) what has he done? beat the most beatable mw champ in recent memory in an unimpressive fashion?

you're definitely right about people using their mouths and fake beef to sell fights these days. that's why i'm so pumped for dc jones!! the hate is real lol!!

MajorBA
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby MajorBA » Jul 26. 2017, 03:51

Rockhold, Souza, Weidman, or winner of Rockhold vs. Souza makes the most sense. Much more sense than St. Pierre. Can't count on the man to show. He might cancel because he needs an extra few months to recover from a North Star pimple. f**k GSP. Fight now or stfu and disappear for good. Nobody is ever at 100%.
"Posts not seen can never be recalled."-MajorBA

Mr S mkII
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Mr S mkII » Jul 26. 2017, 06:32

The steam kind of ran out of this one after the first let down. As someone said before nobody else in the top 5 has a win streak of more than 1, so f**k it, why not?

I actually think the good guy bad guy thing between Bisping and Whittaker would sell really well. Everyone hates Bisping, so put him against a super nice respectful dude and it sells.

Still not sure it will happen, both dudes are old and made of glass now.

unmapped
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby unmapped » Jul 26. 2017, 08:46

well at least he went up unlike tj 

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Location: DOGPAIL INDUSTRIES: A legendary movement run by Phteves

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Jul 26. 2017, 11:30

... f**k off gsp. Don't speak unless you're actually coming back. So tired of the gsp subject, almost as boring as his fight game plans

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 26. 2017, 15:37

5 words...

No homo. f**k off GSP.

Lukn4trbl
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Lukn4trbl » Jul 26. 2017, 16:43

According to Dana during the 214PC, GSP isn't getting Bitchpig.
Baller Betting - It will make you cool.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 27. 2017, 06:03

phpBB [video]

Return to “MMA TALK”