Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

How To Beat Jon Jones (Inside The Octagon)

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
MRPLATANO
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

How To Beat Jon Jones (Inside The Octagon)

Postby MRPLATANO » Jul 25. 2017, 13:40

Throughout his UFC career, Jon Jones has shown to a tendency to want to prove that he is better than his opponents in every single aspect of mixed martial arts (MMA). As a result of this, every time Jones goes into the octagon he has the mindset that the fight will take place in the area where his opponents are strongest. For instance, at UFC 126 Jon Jones fought Ryan Bader who was a decorated wrestler at Arizona State University during the early to mid-2000's. In fact, according to thesundevils.com, Ryan Bader was an all-American wrestler at 197 pounds during the 2004-05 season after getting fourth place in the 2004 NCAA Championships. Due to his wrestling background, Jones entered the Octagon with the mindset that he was going to take down Bader. This is because he wanted to let Bader know that his most effective weapon was useless against him. Therefore Jones successfully attempted and captured a double leg take down thirty seconds into their fight and proceeded to grapple with him for the majority of the fight until he got the guillotine choke in the second round.
Due to this, the only way a fighter can beat Jones is by capitalizing off of his belief that he can outshine the opponent at their expertise. Therefore the only fighters who have a realistic shot of beating Jon Jones are strikers with one punch or kick knockout power. This is because Jones is going to enter those fights with the mindset of trying to show that he is a better striker than his opponent. As a result of this, Jones will stand in or at the edge of the pocket and begin to throw strikes which expose him to greater risk because it only takes one big strike to end the fight.
On the other hand, wrestlers are unlikely to pose a serious threat to Jones because they need to complete several steps before getting in position to finish a fight. For instance, wrestlers have to decide whether they want to set up by throwing strikes or if they want to shoot for a takedown without a setup. Once this happens, wrestlers have to make sure that they clasped both hands around the legs before the opponent can obtain an under-hook. If this happens, wrestlers need to be stronger than the opponent to pick him up and dump him on the floor; or they have to hope that the opponent gets fatigued and can't defend the takedown. After the fight goes to the floor, they need to figure out how to open the opponent's guard by landing body punches that will force the opponent to lower his arms to protect the body from further damage.
As you can see wrestlers can give Jon Jones multiple chances to reset if in any danger.
https://disabledsports.co/en/how-to-beat-jon-jones/

You might need to turn off AdBlock

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Re: How To Beat Jon Jones (Inside The Octagon)

Postby ikor » Jul 26. 2017, 01:38

That is why we wanted to see Jon Jones vs. Anthony Jonson, but we got him vs. OSP. We saw the result of this brainstorm, so no, I kind of disagree. Gustafson type of fighter is the answer untill know (before Cormier vs. Jones 2). Did he ever had an rematch before? Perhaps this is the answer, motivation.

Dis E_pline
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Dis E_pline » Jul 26. 2017, 05:15

Spread coke all over the octagon, wait for him to snort a line and RNC his ass, problem solved !

On a serious note you're most probably right but even if AJ would have been a challenge Cormier showed the pattern to beat him , take him down, make him quit and sub him.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 26. 2017, 15:59

Jones really went out of his way to duck AJ. If he didn't get himself into trouble, I believe he would have gotten KO'd by AJ or lost a rematch against Gustafsson.

MRPLATANO
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby MRPLATANO » Jul 28. 2017, 09:27

Dis E_pline wrote:Spread coke all over the octagon, wait for him to snort a line and RNC his ass, problem solved !

On a serious note you're most probably right but even if AJ would have been a challenge Cormier showed the pattern to beat him , take him down, make him quit and sub him.

If he moves up to Heavyweight Overeem & N'ganou are potentially dangerous matchup because of his mentality 

MRPLATANO
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby MRPLATANO » Jul 28. 2017, 09:29

Kizzo wrote:Jones really went out of his way to duck AJ. If he didn't get himself into trouble, I believe he would have gotten KO'd by AJ or lost a rematch against Gustafsson.

Disagree he thought he was larger than life because of his popularity and he made dumb decision 

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 28. 2017, 10:53

MRPLATANO wrote:
Kizzo wrote:Jones really went out of his way to duck AJ. If he didn't get himself into trouble, I believe he would have gotten KO'd by AJ or lost a rematch against Gustafsson.

Disagree he thought he was larger than life because of his popularity and he made dumb decision 

That doesn't excuse his dumb decision though.

P.S. I don't really believe he did it to duck AJ, ;) ...but I do believe he would have lost.

Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby Lukeo » Jul 28. 2017, 20:23

Who knows. Johnson looked like dog shit in his last appearance against DC.
Terms and conditions may apply.

MajorBA
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby MajorBA » Jul 28. 2017, 21:30

Stuff him in this and give me a cattle prod.  I'm sure I could take him.  :shock:
https://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/PA5650
"Posts not seen can never be recalled."-MajorBA

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Jul 29. 2017, 00:23

Lukeo wrote:Who knows. Johnson looked like dog shit in his last appearance against DC.

I think AJ threw that fight on purpose. The strategy he used in that fight made no sense. And then after that fight he came out with news that he was planning to retire and was planning to get into the marijuana business. It hinted to me that his mind was elsewhere.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby xSamWaynex » Jul 29. 2017, 03:14

MRPLATANO wrote:

While it is true that Jon's ego played into his downfalls outside the octagon, I still believe he never really wanted to fight AJ. I don't believe he did what he did to duck Rumble, I just don't think he really wanted to fight him because he honestly feared Johnson's punching power. He would have to be an idiot not to though, as AJ could probably KO a bull if he wanted haha. I also agree that Jon would lose in a rematch against Gus. I know a lot of people hate it when I say this, but I still think Gus was robbed in that fight. Gus won three out of five rounds and should've been given the nod. With the new rules about hand placement and not being able to extend your fingers outward anymore Jon is going to have a much harder time getting away with his patented "accidental" eye poke. I really believe this is going to play a factor when they fight tonight. Beating Jon should be easier now than it ever has been. He more than likely won't have his magic juice, and he won't be able to half blind his opponent by finger banging his opponents skull. Take those two things away and you have a very beatable JBJ IMO.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

UserNameCory
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby UserNameCory » Jul 29. 2017, 13:42

And three of jones best opponents really make the rest of the division look like non contenders whom shouldn't be used as benchmarks by guys whom can coast against them. So it seems like jones only had one worthy opponent and 67% of great ufc fighters have him ducking and hiding underneath his gym's octagon. NOW he can't even cheat as much as he wants. He's cheating, lack of opponents and luck serve well as evidence he was a paper champion and not goat. Anderson's still better than 90% of Jones opponents too.

Return to “MMA TALK”