Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Official Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. *News/Discussion* Thread

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.

Who will win?

Poll ended at Aug 26. 2017, 23:06

Mayweather RD 1 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 2 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 3 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 4 TKO/KO
3%
Mayweather RD 5 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 6 TKO/KO
5%
Mayweather RD 7 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 8 TKO/KO
10%
Mayweather RD 9 TKO/KO
3%
Mayweather RD 10 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather RD 11 TKO/KO
3%
Mayweather RD 12 TKO/KO
No votes
Mayweather DECISION
13%
Conor RD 1 TKO/KO
5%
Conor RD 2 TKO/KO
13%
Conor RD 3 TKO/KO
23%
Conor RD 4 TKO/KO
5%
Conor RD 5 TKO/KO
5%
Conor RD 6 TKO/KO
8%
Conor RD 7 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 8 TKO/KO
3%
Conor RD 9 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 10 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 11 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor RD 12 TKO/KO
No votes
Conor DECISION
3%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 39

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Official Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. *News/Discussion* Thread

Postby Kizzo » Mar 11. 2017, 21:55

Last edited by Kizzo on Sep 2. 2017, 22:26, edited 21 times in total.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Re: Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather News Updates/Discussion

Postby Kizzo » Mar 11. 2017, 21:56

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Mar 11. 2017, 22:00

Floyd Mayweather to Conor McGregor: ‘Sign the paper’

Floyd Mayweather is ready to make his fight against Conor McGregor official once he can get the UFC champion to sign on the dotted line.

While engaged in a media tour around Europe, Mayweather addressed the proposed super fight with McGregor and wasted no time taking a jab at him.

The long rumored fight has mostly been bantered back and forth in public with McGregor and Mayweather taking shots at each other in interviews and over social media, but sources told FOX Sports that real negotiations have been ongoing for some time now.

Mayweather’s latest declaration is that he’s just waiting on McGregor to put pen to paper so they can make this fight official for later this year.

“The Conor McGregor fight, I don’t know if it’s going to happen. If it do, it do, if it don’t, it don’t. They ask me about this fight always. They’re always asking me about the fight,” Mayweather told ESPN in the U.K.

“If Conor McGregor really wants the fight to happen, stop blowing smoke up everybody’s ass. Sign the paper. Sign the paper. You said you’re a boss. Just sign the paper and let’s make it happen.”

Mayweather makes it sound like it’s just a matter of McGregor signing a contract to make the fight official, but it clearly goes much deeper than that.

The issues to make the fight a reality also involve the agreed upon wages for both Mayweather and McGregor, including guaranteed purses as well as a split of pay-per-view profits from the bout, which is expected to rake in some of the gaudiest numbers in the history of combat sports.

There’s also the hurdle of the UFC signing off on McGregor taking a fight with Mayweather considering he’s under exclusive contract with them. UFC president Dana White has stated that he’s willing to make the fight happen, but obviously, the promotion would have to be involved, which would undoubtedly also earn them a chunk of the pay-per-view prize.

Mayweather’s jab about McGregor being “a boss” is undoubtedly in reference to his contractual obligations to the UFC. Meanwhile, Mayweather is his own promoter so he would only need to agree to the fight terms himself without anyone else being involved.

Still, Mayweather sounds ready to make the fight with McGregor official — at least based on the terms of the deal he’s offered at this point in the negotiations.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/floyd-mayweather-to-conor-mcgregor-sign-the-paper-030717

jkdfist
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby jkdfist » Mar 11. 2017, 22:06

Just In:
Floyd Mayweather: “Today, I’m Officially out of Retirement for Conor McGregor.”

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor and boxing’s living-legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. have dominated the headlines in their respective sports for what seems like an eternity. Accusations of a mutually benefitting PR exercise being the cause behind the to-and-froing have led to many sceptics insisting that the fight is never going to happen. If Mayweather Jr’s words are to be believed, however, those detractors may be wrong…

Mayweather Jr. made an encouraging announcement on the most recent stop of his UK Undefeated Tour at Liverpool’s Auditorium on Friday night. The 49-0 defensive master has declared that he is out of retirement for McGregor, and is ready to fight in June:
http://www.mmanews.com/floyd-mayweather-jr-retirement-for-conor-mcgregor/

rique000
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby rique000 » Mar 11. 2017, 23:48

Conor should get on his knees in red panties and beg Mayweather for the fight, as Mayweather doesn't need the money or another accolade.
My ownage and reign over MMASHARE deplorables is sacrosanct.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60731&start=9800

Lukn4trbl
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Lukn4trbl » Mar 11. 2017, 23:52

Mayz 5th K/O

Conor will gas out.
Baller Betting - It will make you cool.

Mr S mkII
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Mr S mkII » Mar 12. 2017, 00:16

Mayweather by Dec.

The whole thing will be as Fugazi as f**k.

jkdfist
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby jkdfist » Mar 12. 2017, 01:21

Another Update:

Mayweather Fight Happens in September, says Conor McGregor’s Close Friend
"Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor will square off in the ring in September according to reports involving Irish boxer Michael Conlon.

LA Times reporter Lance Pugmire has claimed that he has engaged in dialogue with Conlan recently, who confirms that both men will face off in what will surely be the highest grossing fight in combat sports history:

This latest news comes following comments from Mayweather Jr. stating that he is coming out of retirement to fight McGregor. While the timing of Pugmire’s tweet is consistent with Mayweather’s announcement, June would appear to be a little early for McGregor’s return with the birth of his first child set for May.

Michael Conlan is a good friend of McGregor and has trained with him in the past. “The Notorious” will even walk Conlan to the ring in his professional debut in Madison Square Garden next week.

This latest news represents progress on the “Billion Dollar Fight” following months of intense speculation and back and forth comments between the two men."

http://www.mmanews.com/mayweather-fight-september-conor-mcgregor-conlan/

ETA: I think Conor could KO Mayweather, but Floyd is just too slippery and deflective and as mentioned by others, will out endure Conor in later rounds.  If McG connects just one time it could be enough, but it would likely be a counter and I just don't think he's fast enough to connect with Mayweather's offense.  Now if Conor does some homework and really studies every movement of Floyd, then practices specifically to disrupt his flow somehow, maybe that shotgun left finds a home after all.

I wonder if Conor wins, will he stay with boxing and bigger paydays, bringing new boxers out of the woodworks for red panty nights? Or will he return to defend his friggin belt(s)
Last edited by jkdfist on Mar 12. 2017, 01:30, edited 3 times in total.

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Mar 12. 2017, 01:24

jkdfist wrote:Another Update:

Mayweather Fight Happens in September, says Conor McGregor’s Close Friend
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor will square off in the ring in September according to reports involving Irish boxer Michael Conlon.

LA Times reporter Lance Pugmire has claimed that he has engaged in dialogue with Conlan recently, who confirms that both men will face off in what will surely be the highest grossing fight in combat sports history:

This latest news comes following comments from Mayweather Jr. stating that he is coming out of retirement to fight McGregor. While the timing of Pugmire’s tweet is consistent with Mayweather’s announcement, June would appear to be a little early for McGregor’s return with the birth of his first child set for May.

Michael Conlan is a good friend of McGregor and has trained with him in the past. “The Notorious” will even walk Conlan to the ring in his professional debut in Madison Square Garden next week.

This latest news represents progress on the “Billion Dollar Fight” following months of intense speculation and back and forth comments between the two men.

http://www.mmanews.com/mayweather-fight-september-conor-mcgregor-conlan/

:ee

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Mar 16. 2017, 02:39

White on McGregor vs. Mayweather: ‘I would never keep Conor from making that kind of money’

Dana White keeps going back and forth on a potential boxing match between UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor and sweet science legend Floyd Mayweather. While Mayweather has “officially” come out of retirement and is saying he will only fight McGregor, Dana White has made it clear that there are many hurdles to overcome. Even when a rumor came up that the T-Mobile Arena was booked for June, White shot it down, saying the bout is “nowhere near being done”.

Today though, he switched it up a bit. When asked by TMZ about who McGregor was going to fight next, he gave a UFC fighter as an option - and threw Mayweather out there:

"I don't know. You know, he obviously has a lot of opportunities right now. Tony Ferguson is out there. The Floyd Mayweather thing is out there. We'll see how this thing plays out."

When the surprised reporter asked if it was still on the table, White confirmed it and said he wouldn’t hold McGregor back from it:

"Yeah, I mean there's...it doesn't make a lot of sense for my business, but I would never keep Conor from making that kind of money.”

He also, once again, quashed rumors about the June 10th hold on the T-Mobile Arena:
""It has nothing to do with us. Nothing to do with the Floyd/Conor fight."

And the saga continues.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/3/15/14941446/conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-dana-white-money-mma-news

Kizzo
CRI1
CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Mar 16. 2017, 02:48

Dana White on Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather: ‘I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen’

Floyd Mayweather wants it. Conor McGregor wants it. And now UFC president Dana White is on record saying he thinks a boxing match between the two men will go down.

“I do think it’s gonna happen,” White said Wednesday night on “Conan.” “I think it’s going to be a tough deal, because obviously [there are] a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. On the flip side, there’s so much money involved. I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

There are obviously many moving parts. It’s not as simple as just the two men coming to an agreement. McGregor is tied down to a contract with the UFC as his sole combat sports promoter, so the UFC would have to be in on the promotion or the revenue or both.

Mayweather is expecting at least $100 million to come out of retirement, which he said last week he plans on doing just for the McGregor fight. Meanwhile, McGregor is not going to want a low-ball offer, either. Then there’s involvement of a state athletic commission, which would rightly be hesitant to match a 49-0 boxing legend against someone who only has amateur boxing experience like McGregor. Even if McGregor is the UFC lightweight champion and former featherweight titleholder.

But, as White said, there’s a lot of money on the line and that kind of green can make waves. And the UFC boss believes the result of the fight is not as cut and dried as most people think. Size — namely Mayweather’s shortness in stature — could play a difference, he told Conan O’Brien.

“Conor McGregor is huge,” White said. “He’s 27 years old. He’s in the prime of his career. Floyd is 40. Floyd has always had a problem with southpaws. Conor is a southpaw. And Conor hits hard. When he hits people, they go. Floyd’s definitely not knocking him out — that’s for sure. I’m not saying that Conor would win this boxing match, but it sure makes it interesting.”

Even if it’s not, many millions of people will watch on pay per view. If it does happen, Mayweather vs. McGregor is likely to eclipse every PPV in buys with the exception of Mayweather vs. Pacquiao.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/16/14942622/dana-white-on-conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-i-just-dont-see-how-it-doesnt-happen

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Location: DOGPAIL INDUSTRIES: A legendary movement run by Phteves

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Mar 16. 2017, 12:52

Hahahaha DW and the hype machine. He's been caught in so many lies I'm wondering how his sound bytes mean anything anymore.

The hype is the fun part of this fight the rest is just watching 2 rich guys get richer...

gyllespie
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby gyllespie » Mar 16. 2017, 19:33

Every now and then I get in the mood for some kind of whacky B movie just for the laughs. I suppose this fight is a combat sport's version of a B movie. The problem is it may cause Mcg be away from mma for an entire year. If he does defend his belt before the year is over, fine, I have no issues with him. The other problem is Floyd will get his 50th win if or when he beats an mma fighter which is lame. It's a circus fight. I mean they don't give out Oscars to B movie actors and actresses do they?

ikugan
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby ikugan » Mar 17. 2017, 02:14

Have they released any odds yet? I was hearing some crazy numbers a few months back. Either way, a few hundred on McG with a first round tko if the odds vegas puts out are good. I've gotta assume May will be a huge favorite in this one, but I've got a Buster Douglas feeling at the moment. Reach is key in the first feew rounds for this one.... may the biggest egotistical asshole win!!

Return to “MMA TALK”