Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

Roy Nelson Suspended 9 Months, Fined 24k For Kicking Ref

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby snake eyes » Oct 11. 2016, 04:06

xSamWaynex wrote:
snake eyes wrote:I hear you but tolerating fighters attacking the ref is not the way to go.

I get that, and I am by no means saying that two wrongs make a right, but can you honestly call what Roy did was "attacking?" Maybe it is in the most literal sense of the word with no context being taken into account? Anyway man like I said the refs should be fined, suspended or both, when they make a mistake as well. The refs have let a lot of things slide which costed fighters wins, and or got them moderately to severely hurt. Not only that but they have also been known to be very biased in the cage.

Josh Rosenthal when he got arrested for selling marijuana was found with two betting slips in his home for fights he had reffed. In Vegas this is illegal, and both fights happened in Las Vegas. Those two fights were Sonnen vs Silva 1 and Lesnar vs Carwin. Josh bet heavily, with money he got for selling weed mind you haha, on both Silva and Lesnar. Silva was put on his ass again and again, and was repeatedly struck in the face, some of the punches that got through could've been seen as Silva not "intelligently defending himself", and in some cases that could've meant an end to the fight. In the Lesnar fight Carwin had Lesnar dead to rights against the fence and was constantly raining down blow after blow and Rosenthal did nothing in this case as well. In both cases it only took one initial tap from both Carwin and Sonnen for Josh to call the fight. Just sayin....

Try kicking/pushing your co-worker or a doctor who fucks up a surgery though. A referee is no different. That's definitely an attack (assault) anywhere but between two guys who voluntarily agree to beat each other up. The violence that takes place within those 5 minute rounds should not blur that and the context (Roy's spite of McGarthy etc.) don't change that.

As for the refs fucking up, yes I've witnessed it from the day I started watching mma. Early stoppages, late stoppages and calls that straight f**k up the fight. Maybe they should have a procedure for that. There definitely should be requirements for competence in that job but then again there most likely is. That said, fuck-ups happen in reffing in any sport and I don't think it can be avoided. Agreed they are more dangerous in mma than in football.

Loki
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Loki » Oct 11. 2016, 05:31

It sets precedent.

Reminds me when I was at my first high school football game, when I was in high school, and watched two members of the defence screaming at a ref for a call. The ref calmly listened to their concerns and walked away.

My mouth was hanging open, since I played rugby, and in rugby if you don't start every sentence with "Mr. Referee Sir" he would probably punch you in the fucking neck. You would then go back to the sidelines where your coach would punch you in the neck.

Different standards of decorum I guess.

MANTIS TOBOGGAN
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION
TWO TIME CRI CHAMPION

Postby MANTIS TOBOGGAN » Oct 11. 2016, 10:32

I don't see why any of you are surprised
They are tryn to legitimize the sport
Allowing some obese man with a mullet push kick your ref after a fight
Does not look good and should not be tolerated in the slightest..

Roy was full of shit here anyway
If he knew he was done and didn't want to give him anymore damage
Then why didn't he just walk away like Mark hunt?

Nelson is lying and used that as a push to get over with the Brazil fans
Clear as day really considering he was also wearing the Brazil colors on his shorts instead of USA
"it's generally because I learned that lesson the hard way.
The cost of that wisdom came as the result of a fuck-up.
Typically with a large price tag"
-Coach Rich-

CRI-XXII-LXXVI-CHAMPION

JackHawk MMA
H.O.F. CRI4
H.O.F. CRI4

Postby JackHawk MMA » Oct 11. 2016, 12:32

30k for kicking a ref....

150k for throwing a water bottle.

because f**k you, that's why :c
Brian Stann for President.

"f**k you George"

MMI - Northeast Squadron

Gogh
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Gogh » Oct 11. 2016, 12:46

JackHawk MMA wrote:30k for kicking a ref....

150k for throwing a water bottle.

the difference in the two is similar to the difference between 1st degree murder and manslaughter. the difference? intent

it's difficult to argue nelson intended to hurt big john while the same isnt true of throwing a full monster can at someone across the room. also innocent bystanders werent standing next to big john ;)
in mma's dark age of roids, gsp was the best conditioned of them all. things that make you go hhhhmmmmmm

mma is a dog n pony show disguised as a legitimately run sport

GODHAND
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby GODHAND » Oct 11. 2016, 16:43

MANTIS TOBOGGAN wrote:I don't see why any of you are surprised
They are tryn to legitimize the sport

Really ?
Brock Lesnar practically juiced himself with Steroids and got away with millions of dollars and a win
CM Punk ( an old wrestler who trained for 2 yrs ) Looked like he trained for 30 mins against a young newbie GALL to the UFC.
Firing of different long term loyal workers like Stitch Duran....

when you have actual division rankings being ignored or altered to match-make ... popular fighters for money $$

Just pointing out the ridiculousness of your statement Mantis

But you deserve a stamp

Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear. James 2:19

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans10:09

rique000
Zuffa
Zuffa

Postby rique000 » Oct 11. 2016, 17:04

As much as I like Roy's anti- establishment attitude, he was in the wrong here.
My ownage and reign over MMASHARE deplorables is sacrosanct.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60731&start=9800

rique000
Zuffa
Zuffa

As much as I like Roy's anti- establishment attitude, he was in the wrong here.

rique000
Zuffa
Zuffa

double post

H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby 770 » Oct 11. 2016, 17:24

rique000 wrote:As much as I like Roy's anti- establishment attitude, he was in the wrong here.

Agreed :like
He should have been fined more imo. Touching a ref should be worth more than passing free food to hood-rats ;)

GODHAND
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby GODHAND » Oct 11. 2016, 17:56

detroit770 wrote:
rique000 wrote:As much as I like Roy's anti- establishment attitude, he was in the wrong here.

He should have been fined more imo. Touching a ref should be worth more than passing free food to hood-rats ;)

What ??
you can't agree with me detroit :hair
Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear. James 2:19

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans10:09

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Oct 12. 2016, 06:45

snake eyes wrote:Try kicking/pushing your co-worker or a doctor who fucks up a surgery though. A referee is no different. That's definitely an attack (assault) anywhere but between two guys who voluntarily agree to beat each other up. The violence that takes place within those 5 minute rounds should not blur that and the context (Roy's spite of McGarthy etc.) don't change that.

As for the refs fucking up, yes I've witnessed it from the day I started watching mma. Early stoppages, late stoppages and calls that straight f**k up the fight. Maybe they should have a procedure for that. There definitely should be requirements for competence in that job but then again there most likely is. That said, f**k-ups happen in reffing in any sport and I don't think it can be avoided. Agreed they are more dangerous in mma than in football.

I agree that the referee is no different than anyone else in that situation. Thus why I never condoned what he did, and even said that two wrongs don't make a right. While I believe that you were being a bit gingerly with the whole "attack" part of it, I also said that you were right about that as well in the most strict interpretation of the word.

Now, if a doctor fucks something up, you can sue said doctor. If a co worker does something that displeases you, you can go to your supervisor, boss, etc etc, and report their behavior. If a fighter says something about a ref, well then they basically get a big "f**k you who cares, deal with it." That to me is not fair, and that very well might have been what caused this situation to begin with, as Roy has had problems with Big John in the past. Whenever you cannot air your grievances, and have something done about them for your betterment, it causes a build up of tension and aggression to the person/people you feel have been getting away with wronging you over and over again right?

And you are right there are requirements that need to be met and courses that need to be taken and passed in order to become a referee. But that obviously isn't enough. If a ref fucks up and causes a fighter to become injured due to their f**k up, or causes one fighter to win a fight that they shouldn't have, then someone should be able to fine them or suspend them for their incompetence. So while they can't let things like what Roy did just slip by while doing nothing about it, they also cannot continue to allow the refs to f**k up and get away with it either. If they do I fear that you will have more fighters saying damn the consequences, and take matters into their own hands, and that is something I am sure that neither of us wants to happen right? So for the sake of all of the parties involved I say reprimand the refs as well.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby snake eyes » Oct 12. 2016, 07:20

xSamWaynex wrote:
snake eyes wrote:Try kicking/pushing your co-worker or a doctor who fucks up a surgery though. A referee is no different. That's definitely an attack (assault) anywhere but between two guys who voluntarily agree to beat each other up. The violence that takes place within those 5 minute rounds should not blur that and the context (Roy's spite of McGarthy etc.) don't change that.

As for the refs fucking up, yes I've witnessed it from the day I started watching mma. Early stoppages, late stoppages and calls that straight f**k up the fight. Maybe they should have a procedure for that. There definitely should be requirements for competence in that job but then again there most likely is. That said, f**k-ups happen in reffing in any sport and I don't think it can be avoided. Agreed they are more dangerous in mma than in football.

I agree that the referee is no different than anyone else in that situation. Thus why I never condoned what he did, and even said that two wrongs don't make a right. While I believe that you were being a bit gingerly with the whole "attack" part of it, I also said that you were right about that as well in the most strict interpretation of the word.

Now, if a doctor fucks something up, you can sue said doctor. If a co worker does something that displeases you, you can go to your supervisor, boss, etc etc, and report their behavior. If a fighter says something about a ref, well then they basically get a big "f**k you who cares, deal with it." That to me is not fair, and that very well might have been what caused this situation to begin with, as Roy has had problems with Big John in the past. Whenever you cannot air your grievances, and have something done about them for your betterment, it causes a build up of tension and aggression to the person/people you feel have been getting away with wronging you over and over again right?

And you are right there are requirements that need to be met and courses that need to be taken and passed in order to become a referee. But that obviously isn't enough. If a ref fucks up and causes a fighter to become injured due to their f**k up, or causes one fighter to win a fight that they shouldn't have, then someone should be able to fine them or suspend them for their incompetence. So while they can't let things like what Roy did just slip by while doing nothing about it, they also cannot continue to allow the refs to f**k up and get away with it either. If they do I fear that you will have more fighters saying damn the consequences, and take matters into their own hands, and that is something I am sure that neither of us wants to happen right? So for the sake of all of the parties involved I say reprimand the refs as well.

From what I've seen ref's in general almost never get sanctioned. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that making real time judgement and estimates is prone to errors. They may get pushed, kicked or even killed in Brazil though.

H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby 770 » Oct 12. 2016, 07:20

GODHAND wrote:

What ??
you can't agree with me detroit :hair

He should not have been fined at all imo. Touching a ref should be allowed in cases like this ;)

Fixed :lol:

Return to “MMA TALK”