Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

Roy Nelson Suspended 9 Months, Fined 24k For Kicking Ref

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Loki
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 5861
Joined: May 28. 2009, 23:55

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby Loki » Oct 8. 2016, 11:33

Trying to remember, but wasn't there something about Roy coming up to Dana regarding telling the Commission how to do their job or something similar? Making weight?

Can't remember, but I remember Dana's face, like "What in the living fucks"

User avatar
Uncle
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
Posts: 616
Joined: Aug 10. 2011, 00:55
Location: Deep In The PNW Forest

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby Uncle » Oct 8. 2016, 13:09

But refs don't get fined or suspension for making any bad calls.
Ref is god in the ring. Refs know all and call anything they wanna call.
Roy should be fined one mil and banned from the sport for touch the mighty ref's ass with his stinky foot..

User avatar
Bakke
H.O.F. CRI5
H.O.F. CRI5
Posts: 9312
Joined: Oct 5. 2010, 15:06
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby Bakke » Oct 8. 2016, 13:18

@Loki Roy once said on TUF, that one of Shane Carwins fighters didn't make weight, and that the commission lied. Dana was like, "wtf are you on about?"
"Josh Emmett didnt fucking move" - Microsoft Office 95

Loki
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 5861
Joined: May 28. 2009, 23:55

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby Loki » Oct 8. 2016, 13:31

Bakke wrote:@Loki Roy once said on TUF, that one of Shane Carwins fighters didn't make weight, and that the commission lied. Dana was like, "wtf are you on about?"

Yes!

lol, I was starting to wonder if I made it up.

Thank you.

User avatar
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 3355
Joined: Jan 24. 2014, 00:59
Location: Norte Cackalacky

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby xSamWaynex » Oct 8. 2016, 15:07

snake eyes wrote:
xSamWaynex wrote:It's no surprise that fighters get aggravated at the refs when refs f**k up fight after fight.

Absolutely. And that's the reason every incident like this has to be dealt with a penalty and an exclamation point. Nelson is not the only idiot in there and they better not give those other fools an idea that it's acceptable to do something like that. Ok, you don't even have to be an idiot to want to hit the ref but you need a brain not to do it. Be it football, ice hockey or pretty much any sport, touching the ref is unacceptable and punishable. It's of utmost importance in a sport like mma.


Okay then let's continue this route to its entirety. If fighters are getting fined and possibly suspended for doing something like this, then shouldn't refs also have to have some form of penalty on their end for when they f**k up? If you are only reprimanding one person in the ordeal then that to me isn't equitable justice. By allowing refs to continue to screw people over time and time again , fight after fight, sometimes causing massive injuries, with absolutely no reprimand at all, while fining or suspending fighters for even TOUCHING the refs and causing absolutely no physical damage in the process, is completely ludicrous to me.

Look at what happened to Michael Bisping's face in the Silva fight. Yes he was supposed to be defending himself at all times, but the refs job is to look out for the fighters well being, which includes making sure mouthpieces and athletic cups are in place, etc etc. Bisping told the ref multiple times that his mouthpiece was out, and the ref did nothing about it. Bisping's nose was broken and his face sustained multiple lacerations, not because of the fight, but because of the refs own aloofness in the octagon.

Everything turned out okay for Bisping in the end as he went on to win the decision and get a title shot, but what about all of the other times that things like that happened and it didn't work out? All I'm saying is that the refs should be fined and or suspended also whenever they make a mistake. That seems like the only fair thing to do. Fighters are already getting screwed enough in multiple other areas, they don't need the third man in the ring screwing them over too and getting away with it IMHO.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Loki
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 5861
Joined: May 28. 2009, 23:55

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby Loki » Oct 8. 2016, 15:31

So much of refereeing appears to be subjective, and there's such a massive difference between refs like Big John, Herb Dean and someone like Steve Mazigatti that it makes me wonder if training is enough. They don't appear to be consistent between calls, but I think that's purposeful since they're putting a lot of stock into ref interpretation (an accidental eye graze is a bit different than...

Image

Image

Instant replay? Another ref? Getting refs only out of the pool of actual fighters? Change the gloves finally? Not sure what to do from here, but I think anything would be a good move.

User avatar
frontkick
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 2357
Joined: Mar 26. 2011, 21:40
Location: School of Hard Knocks

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby frontkick » Oct 8. 2016, 17:46

Image

That is disturbing...

jojoclown777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 9868
Joined: Jan 19. 2008, 18:52

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby jojoclown777 » Oct 8. 2016, 22:14

Roy should've just stopped beating on Bigfoot and walked away. People have done it. Probably shouldn't have pushed BJohn, but it was such a symbolic act that wgaf? That being said, 1) don't touch refs, 2) heat of the moment shit happens, and 3) this is a pretty weak instance.

User avatar
kraig7777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 12098
Joined: Feb 28. 2012, 14:28
Location: FEDOR VS OVEREEM

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby kraig7777 » Oct 9. 2016, 00:37

RICH_DOGPAIL wrote:
kraig7777 wrote:
Gogh wrote:weird situation. i was on the fence about this but in the end the right decision was made. any aggression towards a ref is bad


I agree with the decision and I agree with Roy too. You have to admit he got his message across loud and clear.



U think it was an unjust stoppage? Seriously? What kind of super hero ref standards are you guys measuring refs up to anyway? Having the exact timing every single stoppage that will satisfy everyone is pretty much impossible. Out of all the stoppages that could've been in the realm of controversy this wasn't a bad one at all... in fact who would even have commented on it at all had Roy done nothing. He "may" have eaten an extra shot bit you could also argue he gave Bigfoot every chance to stay in the fight. I don't think John gives 2 flying fucks what point Roy was trying to make, he's been in this biz longer than Roy and will be there longer than Roy.

The only controversy here is the fact that Bigfoot still chooses to fight and Roy felt it was OK to accost an official.

...and seriously if it was such a travesty why did Roy continue punching him. If he was truly out he could've stopped and John would've seen it. Many fighters have stopped after their opponent was out and some even toned down their punches so they wouldn't do damage but would show they were being unanswered. Roy is an idiot, he was unjustly emotional and he's going to pay the price.


You fucking dpi people should lay off the weed for a minute jeezus crist. Wtf are you talking about unjust stoppage?! I was talking about the decision to suspend or fine Nelson you halfwit.
A handful of tadpoles in one pocket and axle grease in the other.

User avatar
mmrpink
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 2730
Joined: Feb 13. 2016, 03:12

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby mmrpink » Oct 9. 2016, 03:52

Loki wrote:I think it's less about the power of the foot push, and more about setting precedent to stop behaviour of this sort in the future. Plus he game them an excuse to add some of his win money to their coffers, and that's something I'd be shocked if they didn't take advantage of.


:like on the money Loki
There is no unique picture of reality. Stephen Hawking

1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

User avatar
snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 10745
Joined: Oct 13. 2009, 13:35
Location: North not cut

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby snake eyes » Oct 9. 2016, 15:06

xSamWaynex wrote:
snake eyes wrote:
xSamWaynex wrote:It's no surprise that fighters get aggravated at the refs when refs f**k up fight after fight.

Absolutely. And that's the reason every incident like this has to be dealt with a penalty and an exclamation point. Nelson is not the only idiot in there and they better not give those other fools an idea that it's acceptable to do something like that. Ok, you don't even have to be an idiot to want to hit the ref but you need a brain not to do it. Be it football, ice hockey or pretty much any sport, touching the ref is unacceptable and punishable. It's of utmost importance in a sport like mma.


Okay then let's continue this route to its entirety. If fighters are getting fined and possibly suspended for doing something like this, then shouldn't refs also have to have some form of penalty on their end for when they f**k up? If you are only reprimanding one person in the ordeal then that to me isn't equitable justice. By allowing refs to continue to screw people over time and time again , fight after fight, sometimes causing massive injuries, with absolutely no reprimand at all, while fining or suspending fighters for even TOUCHING the refs and causing absolutely no physical damage in the process, is completely ludicrous to me.

Look at what happened to Michael Bisping's face in the Silva fight. Yes he was supposed to be defending himself at all times, but the refs job is to look out for the fighters well being, which includes making sure mouthpieces and athletic cups are in place, etc etc. Bisping told the ref multiple times that his mouthpiece was out, and the ref did nothing about it. Bisping's nose was broken and his face sustained multiple lacerations, not because of the fight, but because of the refs own aloofness in the octagon.

Everything turned out okay for Bisping in the end as he went on to win the decision and get a title shot, but what about all of the other times that things like that happened and it didn't work out? All I'm saying is that the refs should be fined and or suspended also whenever they make a mistake. That seems like the only fair thing to do. Fighters are already getting screwed enough in multiple other areas, they don't need the third man in the ring screwing them over too and getting away with it IMHO.

I hear you but tolerating fighters attacking the ref is not the way to go.

User avatar
770
H.O.F.
H.O.F.
Posts: 9175
Joined: Aug 10. 2010, 07:01

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby 770 » Oct 9. 2016, 18:26

kraig7777 wrote:You fucking dpi people should lay off the weed for a minute jeezus crist. Wtf are you talking about unjust stoppage?! I was talking about the decision to suspend or fine Nelson you halfwit.



Image


Image

:lol:

User avatar
RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Posts: 8083
Joined: Oct 11. 2009, 03:10
Location: DOGPAIL INDUSTRIES: A legendary movement run by Phteves

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Oct 9. 2016, 23:24

Menopausal Kraig wrote:
You fucking dpi people should lay off the weed for a minute jeezus crist. Wtf are you talking about unjust stoppage?! I was talking about the decision to suspend or fine Nelson you halfwit.


Oh and what message came across loud and clear twat waffle? Reread what u wrote simple simon.

keep on with the DPI rants old man, it's only positive reinforcement... your annoyance pleases me to no end

User avatar
xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2
Posts: 3355
Joined: Jan 24. 2014, 00:59
Location: Norte Cackalacky

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby xSamWaynex » Oct 11. 2016, 01:09

snake eyes wrote:I hear you but tolerating fighters attacking the ref is not the way to go.


I get that, and I am by no means saying that two wrongs make a right, but can you honestly call what Roy did was "attacking?" Maybe it is in the most literal sense of the word with no context being taken into account? Anyway man like I said the refs should be fined, suspended or both, when they make a mistake as well. The refs have let a lot of things slide which costed fighters wins, and or got them moderately to severely hurt. Not only that but they have also been known to be very biased in the cage.

Josh Rosenthal when he got arrested for selling marijuana was found with two betting slips in his home for fights he had reffed. In Vegas this is illegal, and both fights happened in Las Vegas. Those two fights were Sonnen vs Silva 1 and Lesnar vs Carwin. Josh bet heavily, with money he got for selling weed mind you haha, on both Silva and Lesnar. Silva was put on his ass again and again, and was repeatedly struck in the face, some of the punches that got through could've been seen as Silva not "intelligently defending himself", and in some cases that could've meant an end to the fight. In the Lesnar fight Carwin had Lesnar dead to rights against the fence and was constantly raining down blow after blow and Rosenthal did nothing in this case as well. In both cases it only took one initial tap from both Carwin and Sonnen for Josh to call the fight. Just sayin....
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson


Return to “MMA TALK”