Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

Roy Nelson Suspended 9 Months, Fined 24k For Kicking Ref

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby 770 » Oct 7. 2016, 19:31

I wonder if Roy Nelson's missus has to iron his shirts over a wok? :lol:

Gogh
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Gogh » Oct 7. 2016, 19:39

weird situation. i was on the fence about this but in the end the right decision was made. any aggression towards a ref is bad
in mma's dark age of roids, gsp was the best conditioned of them all. things that make you go hhhhmmmmmm

mma is a dog n pony show disguised as a legitimately run sport

kraig7777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kraig7777 » Oct 7. 2016, 21:44

Kizzo wrote:
Waftist wrote:It's so pathetic that they're making such a big deal out of this. Most people are just fuckin twats.

How could you even call that a kick? He nudged him his foot. Barely touched him with his foot... It's fuckin nonsense.

That little mini Brock Lesnar ref was pushed not so long ago and there wasn't a whisper about. One twat talks about this and then every fuckin idiot around jumps onboard and loses the plot over it. :roll:

Remember what Dana said after he cut Jason High from UFC for pushing a ref?

"You don't ever, ever fucking touch a referee, ever."

Then he whispered, *unless you're a star*
A handful of tadpoles in one pocket and axle grease in the other.

Loki
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Loki » Oct 7. 2016, 21:49

Dana doesn't like Roy, as was obvious on TUF, so to imagine that that does not play a factor in this is a dubious conclusion, as Dana appears like the kind of guy that leads with his emotions.

kraig7777
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kraig7777 » Oct 7. 2016, 21:50

Gogh wrote:weird situation. i was on the fence about this but in the end the right decision was made. any aggression towards a ref is bad

I agree with the decision and I agree with Roy too. You have to admit he got his message across loud and clear.
A handful of tadpoles in one pocket and axle grease in the other.

Loki
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Loki » Oct 7. 2016, 21:50

On one level I wonder why anyone is surprised when a professional fighter goes to an act of physical aggression when angry/frustrated.

Gogh
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Gogh » Oct 7. 2016, 22:40

kraig7777 wrote:
Gogh wrote:weird situation. i was on the fence about this but in the end the right decision was made. any aggression towards a ref is bad

I agree with the decision and I agree with Roy too. You have to admit he got his message across loud and clear.

yes he did. i hope the punishment isnt too severe but enough

it's weird for me though because the kick was intended to be symbolic not aggressive. lesson learned i suppose. nelson shouldve only verbalized his problem with big john instead
in mma's dark age of roids, gsp was the best conditioned of them all. things that make you go hhhhmmmmmm

mma is a dog n pony show disguised as a legitimately run sport

gyllespie
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby gyllespie » Oct 7. 2016, 22:54

I'm ok with this decision. But they must be consistent with this call. You can't fine one guy and ban someone else for committing the same crime on the same level. If Roy does it again he definitely should be banned.

xSamWaynex
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby xSamWaynex » Oct 8. 2016, 01:19

The decision is pretty bogus in my opinion. Was Roy wrong for "foot pushing" Big John? Sort of, but it wasn't that big of a deal, as even Big John said it wasn't when asked about it SEVERAL times. It's not like Roy straight up knocked Big John out or anything. As someone else has pointed out, do refs ever have to pay for their transgressions in the octagon? Did Big John have to pay for allowing a fight to continue even after the fighter refused to get off of his stool....cough Romero cough....TWICE? Nope, he sure didn't. It's no surprise that fighters get aggravated at the refs when refs f**k up fight after fight. If Big John decided to press charges or something like that, which I highly doubt he would anyway, that would be a different story, but to allow the commission or the UFC to fine a fighter for an incident THIS small, is just them trying to get as much money back into their coffers as possible without having to actually earn it.
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Tits
Zuffa
Zuffa

Postby Tits » Oct 8. 2016, 02:05

Meh. Roy didn't have to keep hitting Bigfoot. He could have asked Big John to stand him up and when Bigfoot was unable the fight is called off. Roy did have that option.

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Location: DOGPAIL INDUSTRIES: A legendary movement run by Phteves

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Oct 8. 2016, 09:39

kraig7777 wrote:

U think it was an unjust stoppage? Seriously? What kind of super hero ref standards are you guys measuring refs up to anyway? Having the exact timing every single stoppage that will satisfy everyone is pretty much impossible. Out of all the stoppages that could've been in the realm of controversy this wasn't a bad one at all... in fact who would even have commented on it at all had Roy done nothing. He "may" have eaten an extra shot bit you could also argue he gave Bigfoot every chance to stay in the fight. I don't think John gives 2 flying fucks what point Roy was trying to make, he's been in this biz longer than Roy and will be there longer than Roy.

The only controversy here is the fact that Bigfoot still chooses to fight and Roy felt it was OK to accost an official.

...and seriously if it was such a travesty why did Roy continue punching him. If he was truly out he could've stopped and John would've seen it. Many fighters have stopped after their opponent was out and some even toned down their punches so they wouldn't do damage but would show they were being unanswered. Roy is an idiot, he was unjustly emotional and he's going to pay the price.

Bakke
H.O.F. CRI5
H.O.F. CRI5

Postby Bakke » Oct 8. 2016, 09:54

He obviously kicked Big John because he thought it was an early stoppage. Give Bigfoot a chance to fight!
"Josh Emmett didnt fucking move" - Microsoft Office 95

snake eyes
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby snake eyes » Oct 8. 2016, 10:00

xSamWaynex wrote:The decision is pretty bogus in my opinion. Was Roy wrong for "foot pushing" Big John? Sort of, but it wasn't that big of a deal, as even Big John said it wasn't when asked about it SEVERAL times. It's not like Roy straight up knocked Big John out or anything. As someone else has pointed out, do refs ever have to pay for their transgressions in the octagon? Did Big John have to pay for allowing a fight to continue even after the fighter refused to get off of his stool....cough Romero cough....TWICE? Nope, he sure didn't. It's no surprise that fighters get aggravated at the refs when refs f**k up fight after fight. If Big John decided to press charges or something like that, which I highly doubt he would anyway, that would be a different story, but to allow the commission or the UFC to fine a fighter for an incident THIS small, is just them trying to get as much money back into their coffers as possible without having to actually earn it.

Absolutely. And that's the reason every incident like this has to be dealt with a penalty and an exclamation point. Nelson is not the only idiot in there and they better not give those other fools an idea that it's acceptable to do something like that. Ok, you don't even have to be an idiot to want to hit the ref but you need a brain not to do it. Be it football, ice hockey or pretty much any sport, touching the ref is unacceptable and punishable. It's of utmost importance in a sport like mma.

frontkick
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby frontkick » Oct 8. 2016, 11:06

detroit770 wrote::laugh Look at the big guy's gut from above...beautiful.

It's effin' glorious!

Return to “MMA TALK”