Fights by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS | MMAUP

Roy Nelson Suspended 9 Months, Fined 24k For Kicking Ref

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
moose84
News Pimp
News Pimp
Location: 6x CRI Champ - XV~LX~LXXX~LXXXI~CVII~CXV, 10x VIP Invitational Champ, 2x LMS Champ - I & VIII

Roy Nelson Suspended 9 Months, Fined 24k For Kicking Ref

Postby moose84 » Oct 6. 2016, 17:29

Roy Nelson will be judged for his post-fight actions in Brazil.

"Big Country" stopped Antonio Silva at UFC Fight Night 95 in Brasilia, Brazil, on Sept. 24, and kicked referee "Big" John McCarthy right after the bout. He was upset that the referee didn’t stop the contest immediately after "Bigfoot" was knocked down.

According to the STJDMMA document sent to MMA Fighting on Thursday, Nelson was notified on Wednesday and issued a 90-day temporary suspension retroactive to Sept. 29. The Superior Justice Court of MMA (STJDMMA) has accepted a complaint filed by one of its attorneys following the event.

The long-time UFC heavyweight could be charged for assaulting the referee (up to $30,000 fine, and six-month to two-year suspension) and unethical behavior (up to $10,000 fine, and 30-day to six-month suspension).

The attorney suggests a 14-month suspension and $18,500 fine, but it’s still up to the president of STJDMMA to evaluate the case. Nelson has seven business days to present his defense, STJDMMA explained.

At the post-fight press conference, Nelson explained why he kicked the referee.

"I didn't want to hurt ‘Bigfoot' more than I had to," Nelson said in Brasilia. "And I got taken by the moment, because it's like I'm beating the sh*t out of somebody and you're like, dude, enough is enough. And for me, it hurt my feelings. And I apologize to Big John, but I wouldn't take it back. It just hurt me, that I've got to keep on hitting a guy that doesn't need to be hit."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/6/13185646/brazilian-sports-court-accepts-complaint-against-roy-nelson

VIDEOS:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/25/13045938/video-roy-nelson-kicks-referee-john-mccarthy-after-knocking-out-big
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/9/25/13045928/ufc-video-roy-nelson-kicks-ref-john-mccarthy-after-late-stoppage

=============================================================================================================================
UPDATE

Nelson suspended 9 months for kicking ‘Big’ John McCarthy

Roy Nelson won’t be fighting anytime soon.

The long-time UFC heavyweight was issued a nine-month suspension by the Brazilian Superior Justice Court of MMA (STJDMMA) for assault and unethical behavior following his knockout win over Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva on Sept. 24 at UFC Fight Night 95 in Brasilia, Brazil.

Nelson kicked veteran referee "Big" John McCarthy after the bout because he thought McCarthy took too long to stop the contest, forcing Nelson to hurt Silva more than he needed to win the fight. Later that night, at the post-fight press conference, Nelson apologized to McCarthy, but added that he "wouldn't take it back."

"It just hurt me," Nelson said, "that I've got to keep on hitting a guy that doesn't need to be hit."

The maximum penalty, according to the STJDMMA, would be a 25-month suspension and $40,000 fine. However, the court informed MMA Fighting on Wednesday that STJDMMA president Marcelo Sedlmayer Jorge had decided to hand Nelson a nine-month suspension, retroactive to Sept. 29, as well as a $24,000 fine.

According to the STJDMMA, Nelson mentioned in his defense that he was afraid due to some pre-fight situations, including the way Brazilian MMA fans behaved at the weigh-ins. The STJDMMA also said that Nelson mentioned his complicated relationship with McCarthy, but stated that he never intended to hurt the referee.

The STJDMMA accepted Nelson’s explanation, but said that it wouldn't be enough to avoid punishment, because "the athlete has an obligation to respect the honor, preserve the health, and physical and moral integrity of the referee," and nothing justified Nelson's actions.

Jorge initially considered handing Nelson a one-year suspension with $33,000 fine. However, based on Nelson’s history, and the fact that he didn't intend to hurt McCarthy, the STJDMMA reduced his punishment to a nine-month suspension and $24,000 fine.

Nelson still has a chance to return before June 29 though. The STJDMMA is offering the heavyweight a chance to reduce his punishment to a six-month suspension and $13,700 fine if the UFC allows him to formally apologize to McCarthy inside the Octagon or during some form of press conference, preferably if McCarthy is attending, before Dec. 31. If he does that, Nelson would be free to compete after March 29.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/16/13659652/roy-nelson-suspended-nine-months-for-kicking-referee-big-john-mccarthy
Last edited by moose84 on Nov 17. 2016, 11:09, edited 3 times in total.
LEATHER, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER! - PAT MILETICH

WHO WANTS A KO FOR CHRISTMAS! - FRANK SHAMROCK

MMI & OCT VS. DPI & GUS - MEXICAN STANDOFF

RICH_DOGPAIL
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
Location: DOGPAIL INDUSTRIES: A legendary movement run by Phteves

Re: Roy Nelson Suspended, Facing Massive Fines For Ref Kick

Postby RICH_DOGPAIL » Oct 6. 2016, 19:07

Ha!

bazzereth
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby bazzereth » Oct 6. 2016, 19:32

I think he should get a move of the night bonus! +30K Seriously, it wasn't that bad. He disrespected John, he didn't knock him out.

Satsquach
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby Satsquach » Oct 6. 2016, 19:44

Just straight up dirty for foot pushing Big J by Nelson. Dirtier than his nasty disgusting belly and greasy mop/beard combo . Fine his ass! Oh what's the word on gibble face.... Werdum? Attacking Browns coach. That was straight up messed up as well or is it just that most South American fighters as of late are on some social injustice juice at the moment so it's tolerable. No Hespect all round.

Loki
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Loki » Oct 6. 2016, 19:52

I think it's less about the power of the foot push, and more about setting precedent to stop behaviour of this sort in the future. Plus he game them an excuse to add some of his win money to their coffers, and that's something I'd be shocked if they didn't take advantage of.

GODHAND
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby GODHAND » Oct 7. 2016, 00:02

bazzereth wrote:I think he should get a move of the night bonus! +30K Seriously, it wasn't that bad. He disrespected John, he didn't knock him out.

Remember Paul Daley vs Josh koshcheck fight ... Paul never returned after what he did - and that was not that bad.
Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear. James 2:19

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans10:09

H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby 770 » Oct 7. 2016, 00:46

:laugh Look at the big guy's gut from above...beautiful.

moose84
News Pimp
News Pimp
Location: 6x CRI Champ - XV~LX~LXXX~LXXXI~CVII~CXV, 10x VIP Invitational Champ, 2x LMS Champ - I & VIII

Postby moose84 » Oct 7. 2016, 01:43

im actually surprised
LEATHER, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER! - PAT MILETICH

WHO WANTS A KO FOR CHRISTMAS! - FRANK SHAMROCK

MMI & OCT VS. DPI & GUS - MEXICAN STANDOFF

Lukeo
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby Lukeo » Oct 7. 2016, 04:19

Loki wrote:I think it's less about the power of the foot push, and more about setting precedent to stop behavior of this sort in the future.

This.

Tits
Zuffa
Zuffa

Postby Tits » Oct 7. 2016, 04:50

Lukeo wrote:
Loki wrote:I think it's less about the power of the foot push, and more about setting precedent to stop behavior of this sort in the future.

This.

Yup. Roy doesn't have a lot of time left in the sport so a fine and 6 months tops would be ideal. Refs are sacred. Although I don't agree with how the UFC dealt with Jason High or Paul Daley for that matter. Relevant commission should have handled that.

GODHAND
H.O.F. CRI2
H.O.F. CRI2

Postby GODHAND » Oct 7. 2016, 08:54

moose84 wrote:im actually surprised

I am surprised that you are surprised !!!

Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear. James 2:19

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans10:09

angst
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby angst » Oct 7. 2016, 09:59

1 year ban and donates a large sum to a charity helping fighters in need to cover their medical costs.

it wasn't that bad and there were good intentions behind it.

big john has happily turned himself into part of the show and that's his fault. he doesn't get punished for his mistakes and unproffessional behaviour.

the referee certainly needs to be respected but something has to change, the UFC, the athletic commissions, the judges, the refs, it's all amateur as f**k, all unproffessional and embarassing to the sport

Waftist
ONE TIME CRI CHAMPION
ONE TIME CRI CHAMPION

Postby Waftist » Oct 7. 2016, 10:02

It's so pathetic that they're making such a big deal out of this. Most people are just fuckin twats.

How could you even call that a kick? He nudged him his foot. Barely touched him with his foot... It's fuckin nonsense.

That little mini Brock Lesnar ref was pushed not so long ago and there wasn't a whisper about. One twat talks about this and then every fuckin idiot around jumps onboard and loses the plot over it. :roll:
JDS - Lawler - Machida - Hunt - Aldo - Romero - Barnett - Shogun - Cruz - Masvidal - Mousasi
Gomi - Gustafsson - MacDonald -Tanaka - Ishihara - Jedrzejczyk - Shevchenko - Calderwood - Zingano

Robeisy Ramirez - Hakuho - Nieky Holzken - Canelo Alvarez

Kizzo
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Kizzo » Oct 7. 2016, 10:33

Waftist wrote:It's so pathetic that they're making such a big deal out of this. Most people are just fuckin twats.

How could you even call that a kick? He nudged him his foot. Barely touched him with his foot... It's fuckin nonsense.

That little mini Brock Lesnar ref was pushed not so long ago and there wasn't a whisper about. One twat talks about this and then every fuckin idiot around jumps onboard and loses the plot over it. :roll:

Remember what Dana said after he cut Jason High from UFC for pushing a ref?

"You don't ever, ever fucking touch a referee, ever."
CRI XCVIII Champ
LMS XIII Champ

Return to “MMA TALK”