Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Eulogy for Chuck Liddell's carreer.

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
Coach Rich
Drunken old fart
Drunken old fart

Eulogy for Chuck Liddell's carreer.

Postby Coach Rich » Apr 20. 2009, 06:59

Love him, hate him, or indifferent about him, there are just some facts about Liddell's career that no rational minded fan can argue with.

1. He never ducked an opponent. In fact, he went to fight in Japan to find even tougher opponents.
2. He was always equally gracious whether he won or lost. He never made excuses when he lost. He gave credit to the man who beat him.
3. He never looked to win by decision. His game plan was always to finish the fight in the cage.
4. He was one of several men early on who showed that strikers could beat the grapplers.
5. He was a pioneer in the sport.
6. His presence brought many new fans into the sport and helped grow the game's popularity.
7. He wasn't much of a shit talker. Sure he did a little when he had a real beef with someone. But mostly, he preferred to let his actions in the cage speak for him.
8. He was and is a true ambassador of the sport. He has always shown respect towards the fans, his opponents, and the game.
9. He was and is a true professional. He shows up in shape and always makes weight.
10. He has 4 consecutive title defenses which currently ranks second on the all-time UFC record book.
11. He's had some of the most vicious KOs and highlight reels.
12. There was never any question of his heart or desire to win.

One personal note, I'd like to add of any MMA fighter, I bet Chuck would be the most fun to watch a football game with while drinking a few cold ones.

Dr_Gonzo
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Dr_Gonzo » Apr 20. 2009, 07:14

wow awesome post Rich. Chuck is, was, and always will be the man. It's unfortunate that he had to go out this way, but he is a legend of the sport and has accomplished everything that a MMA fighter could accomplish. Never self centered, always respectful, and he never showboated or specifically said he was better than any one fighter. He let his fists do the talking. It's sad to see him go, but with the career he has had, i think its safe to say that he can walk with his head held high.

flashman
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Re: Eulogy for Chuck Liddell's carreer.

Postby flashman » Apr 20. 2009, 07:34

Coach Rich wrote:Love him, hate him, or indifferent about him, there are just some facts about Liddell's career that no rational minded fan can argue with.

1. He never ducked an opponent. In fact, he went to fight in Japan to find even tougher opponents.
2. He was always equally gracious whether he won or lost. He never made excuses when he lost. He gave credit to the man who beat him.
3. He never looked to win by decision. His game plan was always to finish the fight in the cage.
4. He was one of several men early on who showed that strikers could beat the grapplers.
5. He was a pioneer in the sport.
6. His presence brought many new fans into the sport and helped grow the game's popularity.
7. He wasn't much of a shit talker. Sure he did a little when he had a real beef with someone. But mostly, he preferred to let his actions in the cage speak for him.
8. He was and is a true ambassador of the sport. He has always shown respect towards the fans, his opponents, and the game.
9. He was and is a true professional. He shows up in shape and always makes weight.
10. He has 4 consecutive title defenses which currently ranks second on the all-time UFC record book.
11. He's had some of the most vicious KOs and highlight reels.
12. There was never any question of his heart or desire to win.

One personal note, I'd like to add of any MMA fighter, I bet Chuck would be the most fun to watch a football game with while drinking a few cold ones.

Great post Coach Rich. I just wish there was some way that Chuck could go out on a win and it was terrible the way Dana and the ufc handled the whole thing.

punchface35
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby punchface35 » Apr 20. 2009, 08:01

Going to be missed. One of the most popular fighters ever.

Coach Rich
Drunken old fart
Drunken old fart

Postby Coach Rich » Apr 20. 2009, 08:09

In hindsight, calling his career over is premature. Chuck could fight for several more years. But his chance of being a champion or even a serious contender are over. Before this fight, there was a chance. If he beat Rua, and then beat Forrest (provided Forrest beat Thiago Silva) a title shot would be all but certain. Chuck could still serve as a gatekeeper or even fight lower level LHWs. Perhaps even fight in another organization if the UFC no longer wants him. But that would be a shitty thing to do. As far as I'm concerned, Liddell has earned the right to fight in the UFC for as long as he wants. He just shouldn't fight top level guys anymore.

I alway hear alot of fans bitching about how great athletes who refuse to retire are ruining their legacy. I think that's bull shit. Chuck built his legacy. If he still has the fire and desire to fight, who are any of us to tell him he can't.

DUNDEEFC
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

re Coach :-

Postby DUNDEEFC » Apr 20. 2009, 08:32

Coach rich good posting.

I definately believe that Chuck is finished now.
That fight proved to me that he is now way past his peak.
Because :-
1) He produced very few kicks
2) He wasn't as active as before
3) He is not as fast as he used to be
irrespective of the knockdown he was going to loose the fight,
because Chucks left leg was practically gone.

There is no place left for Chuck to go now.
Not leastly because his marketability has gone down, and it is not worth or worthy of him fighting second rate fighters for pennies.

Chuck has been a good ambassador, he would have been better without sometimes ( but not often ! ) trash talking, and also without trying to stare his opponents. ( Shogan showed him that classy fighters don't do that ) But we can forgive him because that was just part of his culture.

Chuck has been sensational for the sport, he is probably the greatest character, with Randy Couture, in the later year development of the UFC.

Chuck liddell was a marvellous champion.

Virus
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby Virus » Apr 20. 2009, 10:33

felt bad for chuck when he lost, never really been a fan of his, but he just seemed so upset, he's nothing but Dana's little bitch now. Did you hear Dana yell at him saying "hey don't leave get back here" when he tried exiting the octagon before he could get interviewed? Sad.

That being said I'm still happy Shogun won. I knew this fight was going to be the downfall for one of these fighters.

flashman
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby flashman » Apr 20. 2009, 10:36

Coach Rich wrote:In hindsight, calling his career over is premature. Chuck could fight for several more years. But his chance of being a champion or even a serious contender are over. Before this fight, there was a chance. If he beat Rua, and then beat Forrest (provided Forrest beat Thiago Silva) a title shot would be all but certain. Chuck could still serve as a gatekeeper or even fight lower level LHWs. Perhaps even fight in another organization if the UFC no longer wants him. But that would be a shitty thing to do. As far as I'm concerned, Liddell has earned the right to fight in the UFC for as long as he wants. He just shouldn't fight top level guys anymore.

I alway hear alot of fans bitching about how great athletes who refuse to retire are ruining their legacy. I think that's bull shit. Chuck built his legacy. If he still has the fire and desire to fight, who are any of us to tell him he can't.

Damn right Coach Rich....Don't you think it really shows a lot about the character of the ufc the way they have treated Chuck these last few months and at the end of the fight?

It's like Joe Rogan, the other announcer, and Dana are putting their foot on his ass and shoving him out the door. In my opinion let the guy retire when he fucking wants to retire. He was doing great until he got caught and I am not going to make any excuses for that. Maybe age has caught up with Chuck or maybe he just isn't able to compete with the top competition any more, but if you can't treat Chuck with some respect after what all he has done for the ufc and mma in general then I say you don't have the capacity to respect anyone. 8)

My hat is off to Rua though. Shogun did what he had to do to get his winning form back and defeat a true legend of the sport. Shogun also showed a lot of class in the way he handled the victory.

timebomb
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Re: Eulogy for Chuck Liddell's carreer.

Postby timebomb » Apr 20. 2009, 11:28

Coach Rich wrote:12. There was never any question of his heart or desire to win.

as much as i love chuck i can still tell you that there are many who would debate this point as of late.
Kongo will nut kick his way to becoming the heavy weight champion in 09.

marky665
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby marky665 » Apr 20. 2009, 11:39

I still dont think Shogun will challenge for the title...Rashad would tear him a new one.

timebomb
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby timebomb » Apr 20. 2009, 13:19

marky665 wrote:I still dont think Shogun will challenge for the title...Rashad would tear him a new one.

agreed i think it wil be a while when and if shogun returns to the top of the pile. however this whole last chance saloon thing may mean that after a fdew wins he may be hyped up for a title fight.
Kongo will nut kick his way to becoming the heavy weight champion in 09.

el magico
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby el magico » Apr 20. 2009, 13:27

In the end age catches up with everybody and it catches up with strikers alot quicker

But still Chuck should definitely be a a hall of famer and im happy if he did retire because i really wouldnt want what happened to shamrock happen to him.

Vespalaranja
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Vespalaranja » Apr 20. 2009, 22:13

I couldn't agree more Coach Rich. While it was the old Vale Tudo brazillian fights first and Pride after that got me into MMA, the UFC soon followed and I love it just as much.

I never bought into either orgs hype or fanboy base cause that's a little too juvenile even for me.

And Chuck was one of the fighters that helped make it so. Class act all the way.

I hope he still manages to get some fights though, I believe he still has it in him. If not his legacy is significant enough as it is.

Also agree on the personal note, Chuck seems as laid back as they come 8)
if nothing else, MMA is there to remind you to be kind to strangers

kamphuis33
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Postby kamphuis33 » Apr 20. 2009, 22:52

Chuck first got me into MMA so i would like to thank him for that haha and i bet he was the one that got you involved also, well most of you. But he was a true Champion and i am gonna miss him. But i will be watching is old Tito and Randy fights and still cheer when he knocks them out

Chuck you da man!!!!!

Return to “MMA TALK”