Follow by Email
FORUM | FIGHTS

Chris Weidman argues he should get Robert Whittaker title fight before Yoel Romero

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject or share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ... Spoiler topics are prohibited only in the VIDEO forum.
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Chris Weidman argues he should get Robert Whittaker title fight before Yoel Romero

Postby 770 » Feb 14. 2018, 04:55

Yoel Romero’s big knockout of Luke Rockhold at UFC 221 this past weekend wasn’t enough to stop other middleweights from making a push for a title shot against champ Robert Whittaker.
Chris Weidman (14-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC), in particular, is one fighter who believes he, and not Romero (13-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC), should be the next to challenge for Whittaker’s (19-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC) belt.
If things had gone according to plan at UFC 221, Romero’s third-round knockout of Rockhold would have made him the interim 185-pound champion and set him up for a unification match with “The Reaper.” Romero missed weight for the event, though, and his victory as somewhat tainted.
Despite the botched weigh-in, UFC President Dana White confirmed Romero will indeed fight Whittaker next. Weidman hopes to change the mind of the UFC brass, though, and made his argument on social media (via Twitter):
Hang on…Am I the only one who is in the top 5 who hasn’t fought Whitaker, coming off a win, most title defenses, makes weight and doesn’t fail drug tests? 8) Image #UFC221
— Chris Weidman (@ChrisWeidmanUFC) February 11, 2018

Although Weidman makes a reasonable case, the immediate hole that will be poked into his argument is the fact the former champion is just 1-3 in his past four fights, including a decisive knockout loss to Romero at UFC 205 in November 2016.
After starting his career with 11 straight wins, including capturing the title and defending it three times, Weidman fell into a slump with three consecutive losses. He managed to rebound over the summer, though, submitting Kelvin Gastelum in the main event of UFC on FOX 25 in July.
Now Weidman wants the chance to fight Whittaker and become the first in UFC history with multiple middleweight title reigns.

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/02/chris-weidman-robert-whittaker-title-fight-yoel-romero-ufc-mma?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a83fa9704d30154e46e7e3b&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
"JUST WALK AWAY AND THERE WILL BE AN END TO THE HORROR"

Robert223
H.O.F.
H.O.F.

Re: Chris Weidman argues he should get Robert Whittaker title fight before Yoel Romero

Postby Robert223 » Feb 14. 2018, 05:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&list=PLCEE01064AF877F81

ikor
CRI1
CRI1

Re: Chris Weidman argues he should get Robert Whittaker title fight before Yoel Romero

Postby ikor » Feb 14. 2018, 07:46

His reign as champ was not really that impressive (gassing fast, beating old guys). Still interesting match up imho. First rematch, than we'll see.

Holeydel
CRI2
CRI2

Postby Holeydel » Feb 14. 2018, 10:20

The UFC should give him David Branch, sooner rather then later. If he gets past Branch then I think he'd be the perfect option should Whittaker or Romero pull out.

Hobonauts
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby Hobonauts » Feb 14. 2018, 11:02

just because he beat Gastelum he thinks he deserves a title match? Yeah right.

The most he can aspire to would be a Romero rematch. And I'd love to see that just so I can delight myself watching him getting decapitated again.
Google me, Butch!

I'm a Rousey fan. You may like her or not, but she is an exciting fighter, making her opponents look amateur over and over.

** AV changed due to management suggestion. Sorry butt_cheeks! **

Lukn4trbl
H.O.F. CRI1
H.O.F. CRI1

Postby Lukn4trbl » Feb 14. 2018, 12:56

Weidman, are you sniffing glue? You are on the verge of getting cut from the UFC.
Baller Betting - It will make you cool.

Return to “MMA TALK”